Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Fantasy Baseball Trade Advice

5x5 rotisserre league, NL only. I'm first in K's by 81 and 1st in Wins by 5. We only play until the end of August...trade deadline is tonight. I am 9 saves behind 2 guys and 13 saves behind another guy. I have a possible trade lined up and am wondering if I should pull the trigger on this. (I'm currently in 3rd place overall by about 2 points and out of 1st by 8 points)

Brandon Webb or John Maine for both Gregg and Isringhausen.

Pull the trigger with Webb, Maine, or pass on it?

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:52 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I say Webb if anyone. Cards will get hot and when the Mets get healthy that will be a boost to Maine's win total ( not that he hasn't been great, it's about time he gets some credit)

is it a keeper league?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:54 PM   #3
BigMak
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
5x5 rotisserre league, NL only. I'm first in K's by 81 and 1st in Wins by 5. We only play until the end of August...trade deadline is tonight. I am 9 saves behind 2 guys and 13 saves behind another guy. I have a possible trade lined up and am wondering if I should pull the trigger on this. (I'm currently in 3rd place overall by about 2 points and out of 1st by 8 points)

Brandon Webb or John Maine for both Gregg and Isringhausen.

Pull the trigger with Webb, Maine, or pass on it?

Since you only have one month left, I would take a chance. You probably won't catch them in saves but I also do not think anyone will catch you in wins. Both categories are basically luck anyway. You can find a starter on the wire but not 2 closers.

Last edited by BigMak : 07-30-2007 at 09:56 PM.
BigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I say Webb if anyone. Cards will get hot and when the Mets get healthy that will be a boost to Maine's win total ( not that he hasn't been great, it's about time he gets some credit)

is it a keeper league?

Not a keeper league. First year for the league actually as four of us split off from another league we used to be in because we got sick of some of the people in it. The other four are all guys who have a varying degree of baseball experience.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMak View Post
Since you only have one month left, I would take a chance. You probably won't catch them in saves but I also do not think anyone will catch you in wins. Both categories are basically luck anyway. You can find a starter on the wire but not 2 closers.

That's my opinion as well. This will actually give me five closers though. Wickman, Henessey, Gregg, Capps, and Isringhausen. The three guys in front of me all have two closers. I keep thinking if I can make up 3 saves a week I could pull it off and pick up 3 points.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:13 PM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Depends on the depth of the league- in most 10 team leagues, closers can be had on the WW. Not good ones mind you, but it's not like you're unearthing SP's like Johan Santana on the WW either.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Are there any IP limits? Also, are you playing P or RP/SP or what? What's the pitching setup? I mean, really, 5 closers are kindof useless if you can only throw 2 or 3.

SI

Old 07-30-2007, 10:28 PM   #8
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Are there any IP limits? Also, are you playing P or RP/SP or what? What's the pitching setup? I mean, really, 5 closers are kindof useless if you can only throw 2 or 3.

SI

Straight rotisserre...start 9 pitchers any day if you so choose. No limits of any kind. I can play all 5 at the same time if I choose.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:33 PM   #9
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

one thing I would look at is if you have 5 closers how often their teams play each other since they can cancel each other out and limit your oppritunities
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:19 AM   #10
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
one thing I would look at is if you have 5 closers how often their teams play each other since they can cancel each other out and limit your oppritunities

Interesting thought that had not occurred to me. I'm not too sure it matters though overall. There are 131 games that could be saved by my guys. NL save % of games played is right about 25%. This would give me 32-33 saves in the time remaining. Assuming the other guys with their 2 closers have about 52 chances left, they'll pick up 13 saves. I pick up 20 extra saves and it looks like I could vault myself 3 places in saves.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:59 AM   #11
BigMak
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Depends on the depth of the league- in most 10 team leagues, closers can be had on the WW. Not good ones mind you, but it's not like you're unearthing SP's like Johan Santana on the WW either.

SI

I have never been in any league where a closer is available on the waiver wire. As soon as a team makes a change, the closer is grabbed immediately.
BigMak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If no closers are available then your benches are way too deep. Well, or the league is large- again, 12 team league doesn't leave much out there.

But in a format like this where you can throw 9 of whatever pitchers you want and no IP limits, i'd have stocked up on closers just because it makes saves easy to get in a somewhat broken system- basically throw your SP's when they start but every other P spot should be filled by a closer. They won't bring down your rate stats very much, even a bad closer, because of their small IPs, but they will rack up saves like crazy for you as well as a few spare K's.

SI

Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 AM   #13
rowech
Pro Starter

Again guys...it's an 8 team NL only league. There are no closers to be had....I went ahead and made the trade.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:04 PM   #14
rowech
Pro Starter

At the last minute, I put together another deal that gave me J. Reyes for Hawpe and Tulowitzski. I think that might be my better deal.