Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2007, 01:32 AM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The Golf Thread

I didn't see one. And I wanted to talk about the Open Championship (aka The British Open) and how Sergio Garcia is three up heading into the final round tomorrow.

I really would love to see him get his first. I haven't seen any of the coverage and likely won't tomorrow, but..it'd be good for him to get the first one out of the way now.

Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Of course, Steve Stricker is just 3 back in 2nd and this is a guy who lost his tour card in '04. So it'd be a good story for him to win, too.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Radii
Head Coach

Um, does anyone else have CNN News Video with the open playoff audio on ABC right now?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
Radii
Head Coach

annnnd, back to golf, just in time to see Harrington's winning putt. I missed everything from their drives on 18 up to that final putt. That was incredibly annoying, I wonder if that was a comcast fuckup somehow or an ABC mistake.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That was a good finish, from the nerve-racking 18th in regulation to the 4 holes in the playoffs (and another nerve-racking 18th).
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
Craptacular
College Starter

Hopefully Stricker can hold himself together one of these final rounds, but it's great to see him in contention on Sunday in the big tourneys with the strongest fields ... 2nd to Woods at Wachovia, had the lead at the US Open, 2nd to Choi at Tiger's tourney, and now the final group at The Open.

Congrats to Padraig!
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 03:46 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tiger's got a five stroke lead heading into the 9th at the PGA. The record for margin of victory at this tournament is 7 strokes by..you guessed it, Jack Nicklaus.

He just went birdie, birdie after a tough par on 5. He looks locked in and again, Tiger is the best closer in sports with the lead. No question about it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-12-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Also, it's nice to see Ernie Els on the front page of a leaderboard again.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
Radii
Head Coach

this is setting up to be a great finish.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tiger just three-putted at 14 and now his lead is only one shot.

I still think he comes out of this in the end, but he sure is turning it into a horse race at the end.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah, a lot more fun when it's a battle down the stretch than when Tiger runs away with it.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

He shoots, he scores.

Tiger is money.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:14 PM   #13
Logan
Head Coach

He looks pissed.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 05:16 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

No kidding. That tee shot was mean.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:17 PM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I didn't realize how much power he gets from his body with that swing. That's outstanding.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Nice job today by The Big Easy.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:43 PM   #17
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Lucky 13.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:49 PM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I never get tired of seeing the winner walk up 18. Such a cool sight.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:50 PM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I didn't realize they introduced them again on the 18th green.
Old 08-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What's cool about golf too, is the fact that you can't really compare athletes of other sports and eras on particular courses or whatever. I mean, I know the equipment is such a big deal these days especially.

But it's pretty awesome that these guys play the same courses that the guys from previous generations did and you can compare them at least on a way better scale than in other pro sports.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #21
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Oversized trophies are awesome.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:48 AM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tiger Woods won the Tour Championship for his 61st career win, just 1 behind Arnold Palmer's 62 for 4th all-time.

He also won the convoluted boondoggle that is the FedEx Cup. They'll change the system so it'll be more competitive or add more drama to it. I just think they ought to make it one tournament, make it six rounds like Q school and invite the 128 best players, eliminate 32 after one round, 32 after the 2nd round and let the rest hang out and get automatic tour cards for the following year and give the winner $10 million bucks. Take Tiger's advice and bring it out after the winner is announced and pile it up like the World Series of Poker.

Golf fans would watch that and it would drama, intrigue and all of that. Best of all, do it before regular season football or college kicks off.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:50 AM   #23
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Tiger Woods won the Tour Championship for his 61st career win, just 1 behind Arnold Palmer's 62 for 4th all-time.

He also won the convoluted boondoggle that is the FedEx Cup. They'll change the system so it'll be more competitive or add more drama to it. I just think they ought to make it one tournament, make it six rounds like Q school and invite the 128 best players, eliminate 32 after one round, 32 after the 2nd round and let the rest hang out and get automatic tour cards for the following year and give the winner $10 million bucks. Take Tiger's advice and bring it out after the winner is announced and pile it up like the World Series of Poker.

Golf fans would watch that and it would drama, intrigue and all of that. Best of all, do it before regular season football or college kicks off.

If it goes down like this year, then the only drama is going to be who gets 2nd place. Structure it anyway you want, but Tiger right now is just so much better than everyone else it is not even funny. Even with the current convoluted system, if you take Tiger out, it would have been a scramble on the final day to get the winner. The point difference between Tiger and Stricker at #2 was the same differential between Stricker and the #22 guy.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 09-17-2007 at 12:52 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 AM   #24
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Yeah and you can't make it too much of a free-for-all or there places no emphasis on the 'regular season'. Golf isn't a playoff sport. Finchem is a goof.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:10 AM   #25
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

The LPGA "playoffs" is wisely just one tournament though. So the idea I threw out there isn't too far fetched.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:41 AM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Yeah and you can't make it too much of a free-for-all or there places no emphasis on the 'regular season'. Golf isn't a playoff sport. Finchem is a goof.
If NASCAR can do it, why not the PGA?

It's not the idea that didn't work, as others said - it's that Golf just can't do anything about Tiger being THAT much better than everyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #27
Kevin
High School JV

Despite all the whining from the players and criticism about the structure, I think it was relaticely successful in that we actually got to see some good golf after Firestone. In recent years, the big names all went back to their yachts and gated communities for 8 or 9 weeks until the Tour Championship.
As a golf fan, this has been much better. Also, the poor slob out there trying to keep their cards actually get a much needed break before the lesser fall tournaments.

I have no sympathy for the top players who don't want to play four weeks in a row. They don't have to carry their golf bag. They don't have to hit and be hit like football and hockey players. They can afford to bring their families with them to the tournaments.

As to the complaint that the end result is too predictable, at least it wasn't like some years where Tiger had locked up the money list by July.

The Fedex was by no means perfect, but it was still a big improvement over how previous seasons closed out.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #28
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

How about this way to do the FedEx Cup: 144 players at the first tourney. Whoever makes the cut (T-72) will get to play the second tourney. In the second tourney, whoever makes the T-36 cut gets to play the last two tourneys. Treat the last two tourneys both as individual tournaments, but put the FedEx Cup up for grabs among the T-36 golfers with the lowest aggregate score over all eight rounds winning the Cup. The cuts would make the system a true playoff. One drawback is the de-emphasis on the season, which is part of what they're trying to do with the current FedEx Cup by rewarding the better seasons with a higher position in the playoff standings.

I suppose you could "bye" the top 36 golfers into the second week and have the top 36 from the first tournament advance to join them. Problem there is that kills a fair amount interest in the first tournament since Tiger, et al, won't need to play it.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #29
JS19
College Prospect

Are pro golfers not allowed to wear shorts? or is just an etiquette thing? I'm watching a little of the Crowne Plaza Invitational as I get the grill fired up, and I haven't seen a single guy with shorts on, then it made me think, in all the golf events I've watched on tv, I've never seen anyone with shorts.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #30
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Are pro golfers not allowed to wear shorts? or is just an etiquette thing? I'm watching a little of the Crowne Plaza Invitational as I get the grill fired up, and I haven't seen a single guy with shorts on, then it made me think, in all the golf events I've watched on tv, I've never seen anyone with shorts.

I don't know for sure, but I am pretty certain it's long pants and collared shirts, standard fare for high end courses.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

Correct, shorts are against PGA rules. Players have to wear long pants. Caddies can wear shorts from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

LPGA allows shorts, though.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:51 PM   #32
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Correct, shorts are against PGA rules. Players have to wear long pants. Caddies can wear shorts from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Natalie Gulbis.

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:52 PM   #33
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

She doesn't wear panties.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #34
JS19
College Prospect

Please tell me tops like that are within regs for the LPGA, if so, count me in as a huge LPGA supporter.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:56 PM   #35
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
She doesn't wear panties.

They are overrated anyway.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:57 PM   #36
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Please tell me tops like that are within regs for the LPGA, if so, count me in as a huge LPGA supporter.

I am pretty sure that is from a photo shoot. But here are some actual LPGA tournament pictures...

panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

She looks...smart.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 PM   #38
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:

And skirts
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #39
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Her stroke looks phenomenal.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:32 PM   #40
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
She looks...smart.

Clearly the look she was going for.

This young lady is totally gonna put me in the lead with this little thing at work. When we are bored, which is the majority of the day, we try to google images of under the radar famous people. One guy pulled some foreign ping pong player out of his ass last week, but I think I'm going to destroy his dreams with this one.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:35 PM   #41
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Clearly the look she was going for.

This young lady is totally gonna put me in the lead with this little thing at work. When we are bored, which is the majority of the day, we try to google images of under the radar famous people. One guy pulled some foreign ping pong player out of his ass last week, but I think I'm going to destroy his dreams with this one.

Was it Biba Golic?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:36 PM   #42
JS19
College Prospect

Yes sir, apparently she is on some ESPN commercial, can't say I have ever seen it.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #43
Huckleberry
College Starter

Nice timing for a golf thread. Holed out my first eagle on Memorial Day. 80 yards out on a par 4. Sweet.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:44 PM   #44
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That was an incredible shot by Tiger.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #45
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
That was an incredible final round by Tiger.

fixed.

Seriously, all these critics are saying somethings wrong with him. Heh.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I just saw the highlights. Man oh man. That was quite a tournament. Lots of well played holes by a lot of guys. But Tiger had it early and you could just tell he wasn't going to do anything other than come away with a W today. Awesome stuff.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #47
KWhit
Coordinator

I think when all is said and done that Tiger will be the guy (of any sport) that people of our generation look back on fondly and relish the fact that "we were there when..."

I love watching this guy play.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 02:17 PM   #48
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Tiger on the march at Firestone ... -4 under through 5 holes. I fully expected him to catch Padraig but I wouldn't have guessed Tiger would be 11 under before No. 6. Harrington not playing badly -- par is a good score, although considering he's already played a par 5 and a par 3 that is the easiest hole of the week, he should have at least one birdie.

Tiger and Firestone is nothing but magic. He's won this tournament six time in nine years. He's 8 under since No. 10 yesterday.

If Tiger blows by the field again this week, does anyone bet against him next week at Hazeltine?
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #49
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tiger leading after his first round at the PGA Championship at Hazeltine.

Tiger Woods commands par-5s, leads PGA Championship by one - ESPN

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-13-2009 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #50
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tiger Woods lost a major for the first time after having a lead heading into the final round.

Y.E. Yang is the first Korean man to win a major. Had one career win in a PGA event prior to winning.

PGA Championship: Y.E. Yang wins PGA Championship - ESPN

Quote:
Y.E. Yang's final 49 holes illustrated just how good the 37-year-old was down the stretch at Hazeltine. After starting the tournament 5-over par, Yang regrouped to shoot 13-under en route to his first major championship win.

Thru 23 Holes Final 49 Holes
Yang +5 -13
Woods -4 -1

Last edited by Young Drachma : 08-17-2009 at 09:59 AM.