Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2003, 11:02 PM   #1
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The reason you NEVER hire a college coach with baggage

For those of you who haven't heard.

Link

This is just unbelievable, but yet totally believable. Harrick has time and time again proven himself to be dishonest and underhanded, and this just fits into the profile. These allegations do come from a pretty shady source, but the Western Union receipt pretty much does away any claim of innocence.

What kills me is he cheats yet he still had a whole recruiting class fail to qualify. Plus the fact he wins and people will point to him and say, "see, cheaters win."

Last edited by GrantDawg : 02-28-2003 at 07:33 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 11:08 PM   #2
KWhit
Coordinator

I saw this on Sportscenter today. As a Bulldog fan, I am royally pissed off. Where there's smoke, there's fire, I guess. Harrick is a prick.

And it looks like they have proof, too. On Sportscenter, they showed a receipt of a wire transfer for $300 to the player's roommate to pay for his phone bill. The receipt clearly shows that the sender was Jim Harrick.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 11:17 PM   #3
tucker342
Pro Starter

My question is, what the hell was Georgia thinking when they hired that guy?!?!?!?! Not a very smart decision on their part.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2003, 11:24 PM   #4
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
My question is, what the hell was Georgia thinking when they hired that guy?!?!?!?! Not a very smart decision on their part.

Tubby jumped ship to Kentucky, then we hired his assistant who couldn't coach, so Dooley was desperate for a winner. He hired the only guy who had won a national championship that would take a job at a football school. It was stupid, I didn't like it at the time, and sadly I was proven right.
Old 02-27-2003, 11:26 PM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

GO VOLS! I'll invite both of you to be Vols fans! Just kidding. That sucks, man.
Old 02-28-2003, 06:54 AM   #6
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Re: The reason you NEVER higher a college coach with baggage

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
For those of you who haven't heard.

Link

This is just unbelievable, but yet totally believable. Harrick has time and time again proven himself to be dishonest and underhanded

Don't forget that he's also an accused sexual harrasser, as well!

I wouldn't worry too much, I hear Clem Haskins is available.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-28-2003 at 06:54 AM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 07:43 AM   #7
Mountain
Mascot

I hear Nolan Richardson Jr. is also looking for work.

Last edited by Mountain : 02-28-2003 at 07:43 AM.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:39 PM   #8
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain

Don't laugh. You should hear the idiots begging for Bobby Knight.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:47 PM   #9
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain

See, I was looking for my crowbar. It was then that I noticed the gun - but I was looking for the crowbar.
Old 02-28-2003, 01:48 PM   #10
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342

Harrick is a smooth-talking slickster. He took Rhode Island to an Overtime away from a Final Four...the guy is a great coach, but lacks sorely in the character area...
rexalllsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 01:52 PM   #11
rexalllsc
Banned

Harrick was always shady @ Ucla...we would've been looking @ major sanctions if he wasn't fired...he had a hell of a program starting to take shape, too...
Old 02-28-2003, 02:03 PM   #12
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by rexalllsc
Harrick was always shady @ Ucla...we would've been looking @ major sanctions if he wasn't fired...he had a hell of a program starting to take shape, too...

That's the shizzle. He was/is doing great things at UGA, but I knew from the beginning it was a matter of time. This just kills me...

Oh, by the way, the evidence here is exactly equal to the evidence presented against the Vols football team last summer (T Martin receiving money with the receipt in hand and academic fraud) but since UGA doesn't own the NCAA investigation committee I guarantee different outcomes. If only the NCAA would have made Vince Dooley president then we could openly cheat like our neighbors up north and never have to worry about investigations turning up anything.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:06 PM   #13
GrantDawg

dola.. no I'm not saying we should cheat just because others can get away with it. I think our current football coach proves you don't have to cheat to win, and I think that Harrick (both of them) ought to pay for their crimes.
Old 02-28-2003, 02:06 PM   #14
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sorry to say this but ..

as a Michigan fan, I hope Georgia gets the book thrown at them too. Not as severe, but you want to make a statement? Take 'em both down.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 02:14 PM   #15
digamma
Torchbearer

I'm a Georgia Tech fan and have absolute disdain for the University of Georgia. I agree that Harrick has baggage, but I think it is too early for a rush to judgment in this case. From what I understand, Mr. Coles may not be the most upstanding individual either.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 02:16 PM   #16
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by digamma
I'm a Georgia Tech fan and have absolute disdain for the University of Georgia. I agree that Harrick has baggage, but I think it is too early for a rush to judgment in this case. From what I understand, Mr. Coles may not be the most upstanding individual either.

I agree. He's probably just PO'ed he got thrown off the team. He was accused of rape and the team suspended him.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 02:59 PM   #17
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
That's the shizzle. He was/is doing great things at UGA, but I knew from the beginning it was a matter of time. This just kills me...

Oh, by the way, the evidence here is exactly equal to the evidence presented against the Vols football team last summer (T Martin receiving money with the receipt in hand and academic fraud) but since UGA doesn't own the NCAA investigation committee I guarantee different outcomes. If only the NCAA would have made Vince Dooley president then we could openly cheat like our neighbors up north and never have to worry about investigations turning up anything.

As an impartial viewer, I can't believe the Vols weren't nabbed for the academic fraud (changing kids' majors until their eligibility was up), and things like that...
Old 02-28-2003, 03:01 PM   #18
GrantDawg

Update on this....Link

Harrick has suspended Harrick Jr. Look, Coles is not the upstanding witness, but Harrick is not the innocent accused either. As for throwing the book at them, since I'm a Dawg of course I hope that doesn't happen, but I also know it will.
Old 02-28-2003, 03:01 PM   #19
rexalllsc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Sorry to say this but ..

as a Michigan fan, I hope Georgia gets the book thrown at them too. Not as severe, but you want to make a statement? Take 'em both down.

Speaking of Michigan, has the NCAA ruled in your case, yet? The Death Penalty should be considered, IMO...

Last edited by rexalllsc : 02-28-2003 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:48 PM   #20
MJ4H
Coordinator

Totally off topic but the Subject of this thread is pretty good evidence of my theory (from a couple of months ago) that people sometimes just type words the way they SOUND instead of how they think they are spelled in proper context. You cant convince me that GrantDawg doesnt know the difference between "higher" and "hire." Just wanted to point that out.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 05:53 PM   #21
Gwalyn
Mascot

Quote:
Originally posted by MattJones4Heisman
Totally off topic but the Subject of this thread is pretty good evidence of my theory (from a couple of months ago) that people sometimes just type words the way they SOUND instead of how they think they are spelled in proper context. You cant convince me that GrantDawg doesnt know the difference between "higher" and "hire." Just wanted to point that out.

I was just about to post something along these lines.

Home of the All-Injury Team
Gwalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 07:32 PM   #22
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by MattJones4Heisman

I don't know, my stupidity sometimes even shocks myself. Now, tell me how to edit the title of the thread.
Old 02-28-2003, 07:36 PM   #23
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Hello, Rick Neuheisel. This is your life calling.

When will someone realize Coach Neu is an imposter posing as a decent human being. About the only ethical thing he ever did was admit, albeit after the fact, he was talking to the 49ers.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:22 AM   #24
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I was just listening to 790 here in Atlanta. Some UGA fan called in and said that all that matters about college basketball is winning. Harrick wins. That's all that matters. This guy was apparently outraged that the guys on the air had been talking about Hewitt (with Tech). This caller said, "Look at Hewitt's record and compare it to Harrick's. You can't even put these guys in the same sentence..." Just when you think you know where this guy is going, and saying how Hewitt has character, and Harrick doesn't, he drops this bomb, "...Harrick wins and Hewitt pretends."

At least that is how I recollect the event...unreal. It's this kind of thinking that keeps this crap in the game.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2003, 10:29 AM   #25
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
I was just listening to 790 here in Atlanta. Some UGA fan called in and said that all that matters about college basketball is winning. Harrick wins. That's all that matters. This guy was apparently outraged that the guys on the air had been talking about Hewitt (with Tech). This caller said, "Look at Hewitt's record and compare it to Harrick's. You can't even put these guys in the same sentence..." Just when you think you know where this guy is going, and saying how Hewitt has character, and Harrick doesn't, he drops this bomb, "...Harrick wins and Hewitt pretends."

At least that is how I recollect the event...unreal. It's this kind of thinking that keeps this crap in the game.

Yup, and it ticks me off. This is also why the "jocks" of our society have such horrible social skills. They can engage in any type of anti-social behavior and it is over-looked because all that matters is winning.

I will say this, though. Of the fans I've talked to about this, most want Harrick's head. It doesn't matter if we hit the final four. If He and his son did half of what they were accused (and I think he did at least most of it), he should be gone.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:49 AM   #26
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

It's a weird situation. The best thing would be for the investigation to be over quickly, but with the whole truth coming out. I'd hate for it to last 6 months or more.

Yeah, I expect most people would not want to be associated with this kind of stuff. Allegations about things have been following these guys around. When you are going to cheat for guys, you had best keep them near you and love them everyday. Breaking the rules for somebody that you allow to get into so much trouble they get thrown out of school is asking for trouble. If all of what Tony Cole says is true, they cooked the books just to get him into UGA. After bringing this troubled person (he had been suspended from the basketball team at the junior college) onboard, they pay some bills, apparently let him skip a class for an entire quarter for a grade, and then have him get into legal trouble with a rape charge. After that, he is sent off from the school. To their benefit, they weren't trying to buy him off once he couldn't play basketball for them, but the damage may have already been done.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote