Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2007, 06:19 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As much as we all bitch about McDonalds . . .

. . . I have to admit that it is pretty amazing to live in a world in which I can get a good cup of coffee, a decent breakfast biscuit sandwich, and a hash brown patty for $3.33 (tax included) and have it literally take no more than 5 minutes off my morning and not even require me to leave my car.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

You're lovin' it, huh?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Subby
lolzcat

What kind of breakfast sandwich?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
What kind of breakfast sandwich?

Today, it was the Southern Style Chicken Breast. Normally (I would say that I probably go about twice a month on average), I go for the Bacon, Egg, and Cheese biscuit sandwich.

I like the Bacon, etc. biscuit better than the chicken breast, FWIW. The McDonald's chicken biscuit, while fine, really just makes me want a Bojangles chicken biscuit--now that is the food of the gods.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Subby
lolzcat

Yeah I usually opt for a sausage biscuit and put some mustard on it - decent enough, but it just makes me yearn for Hardee's biscuits.

Anyway - is the coffee really that good? I had it on our trip to Texas and I was still disappointed (and while I am no Warlord or anything, I do like a strong cup of joe).
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:49 AM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Yeah I usually opt for a sausage biscuit and put some mustard on it - decent enough, but it just makes me yearn for Hardee's biscuits.

Anyway - is the coffee really that good? I had it on our trip to Texas and I was still disappointed (and while I am no Warlord or anything, I do like a strong cup of joe).

I like it. I, too, am not a Warlord, but I also have some taste in the area.

I would rank it below a cup from a good coffee shop or a cup made well at home.

But it is above other fast food coffee, most stuff from gas stations, the stuff that (some) people at my work make, and most diner coffee.

I want to be the guy who is all snobby and does not like it because it is McDonalds. But I can't help liking what I like. And I think that it is an above average cup of coffee.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:55 AM   #7
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I am craving a McGriddle now.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
The McDonald's chicken biscuit, while fine, really just makes me want a Bojangles chicken biscuit--now that is the food of the gods.

Had Bojangles biscuits for dinner last night (steak & egg + bacon,egg,cheese + a BoBerry) but I think you might have some false idol issues on the chicken one. As chicken goes, it's better than Church's, but that's about all I can say for it.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 AM   #9
Kodos
Resident Alien

Egg McMuffin's are my favorite breakfast food on the planet.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

They've sure upped their drive-thru game. I've been to them on my road trip back here and randomly in the morning and for the most part, they get you in and out of there. Must be some sort of companywide edict to step it up.

I like Egg McMuffins too. Without cheese though.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #11
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Just had a Sausage McMuffin myself...mmm, tasty.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:15 AM   #12
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Had Bojangles biscuits for dinner last night (steak & egg + bacon,egg,cheese + a BoBerry) but I think you might have some false idol issues on the chicken one. As chicken goes, it's better than Church's, but that's about all I can say for it.

Breakfast doesn't get any better than a Bacon, Egg, & Cheese sandwich and some Botato Rounds from Bojangles. I go there every day when we return to South Carolina to visit my wife's family.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #13
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I'm addicted to the Southern Style Chicken Biscuit for breakfast, pick one up at least 2 or 3 times a week before work. That with a hash brown and a large Diet Coke is $3.95...and oddly enough, I've actually lost about 30 lbs since I started working again...not sure exactly how that is happening but I think it has to do with the if I eat breakfast I don't eat lunch concept. Either way, it's yummy!
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #14
wade moore
lolzcat

Sorry, but for breakfast fast food nothing beats either a Chik-Fil-A Biscuit or Chiken Mini's...

mmmmmmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 AM   #15
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I tried the new and improved McDonald's coffee back in March on drive from D.C. to Michigan. I put cream and sugar in my coffee and still couldn't choke the stuff down. I thew it out after a few sips. Vile stuff. Could have just been a bad batch.

I can't recall the last time I ate at McDonald's for breakfast or otherwise. There is a billboard on the way home from work advertising the Southren Style Chicken Biscuit. It does look tasty.

Damn, am I hungry.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:44 AM   #16
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I think the best part of McDonald's menu is their breakfast. But I always keep it simple, go with the Sausage Biscuit meal with a med./sm. coke. I absolutely love their hash browns, provided they are cooked right (not cold in the middle, and not way over done, I actually prefer them slightly under done, the grease helps them down the gullet.).
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #17
DanGarion
Coordinator

What the hell is the Souther Style Chicken Biscuit, must be some weird southern thing they don't sell in normal states like California... ;0
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:06 AM   #18
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonald's_menu_items#Breakfast_menu
Regional U.S. items
* Crabcake: exclusive to the Maryland and Delaware shores.
* Lobster Roll: exclusive to New England (see McLobster below).
* Tillamook Ice Cream: generally an Oregon exclusive, though some locations in Washington State have been known to serve them, as well as in Alaska (ironically, the McDonald's in Tillamook doesn't offer Tillamook ice cream)
* Dippin Dots: Sold in at least one McDonald's in Anchorage, Alaska.
* Blue Bell Ice Cream: Sold in at least one McDonald's in Bastrop, Texas.
* Touchdown Burger: a Wisconsin exclusive. Also seasonal in southeastern Michigan.
* Johnsonville Brats: available in Wisconsin and southeastern/western Michigan, as well as northern Illinois and Northwest Indiana. A toasted hot dog bun with a Johnsonville Bratwurst, topped with spicy mustard and slivered onions. Available seasonally and in a 2 Brat Extra Value Meal.
* Green Chile: a New Mexico exclusive.
* Texas Homestyle Burger: a Texas exclusive, although it was available for a time as the Southwest Homestyle Burger in New Mexico. This burger featured a quarter pound beef patty, lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, and a generous portion of spicy mustard.
* McKinley Mac: an Alaskan exclusive, named after Mount McKinley. This burger features all the normal components of a Big Mac, but uses quarter pounder patties instead.
* Cajun McChicken Sandwich: occasionally produced in Southern regions, it is a standard McChicken sandwich with Cajun spices mixed into the breading on the chicken portion.
* Southern Style Chicken Sandwich: most recent sandwich produced at participating Southern United States McDonald's locations, and is similar to the Chick-fil-A sandwich (pickles, steam-buttered bun, pressure-cooked crispy chicken patty).
* Many restaurants located inside Wal-Mart Supercenters also offer giant pretzels in various flavors (salt, plain, and cinnamon sugar), pickles, popcorn, and/or cotton candy.
* Hawaii franchises offer saimin on their regular menu. Spam or Portuguese sausage with eggs and white rice is offered on their breakfast menus. Pineapple and taro pies have also been occasionally offered on the regular menu, and pineapple is also sometimes available as an additional topping on burgers. Haupia pie was recently introduced in Hawaii locations for a limited time. In Waikiki McDonald's restaurants, small trays of pineapple are available on the side.
* Angus third pounders are currently being offered in California as a test item.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm, I think if I had my choice, I'd go with a sausage croissandwich. But just McD's, the sausage egg and cheese biscuit. If I was still eating biscuits anyway.

I like McD's coffee, tastes pretty good to me.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm in the mood for a Shmiscuit right now.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #21
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

I cann't even stomach their breakfast. Too processed and plastic tasting to me. If you find a little coffee shop that will fry two eggs that actually come in shells and throw them on a toasted roll with bacon and cheese you will never eat McPlastic again...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 AM   #22
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
I cann't even stomach their breakfast. Too processed and plastic tasting to me. If you find a little coffee shop that will fry two eggs that actually come in shells and throw them on a toasted roll with bacon and cheese you will never eat McPlastic again...

I've found plenty of them.

Unfortunately, both the quality & the portions are often uneven/inconsistent, the service is often even worse than McD's, and if I wanted something burned beyond recognition and/or served on a brick, I'd have simply fixed it myself.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #23
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Egg McMuffin is hangover heaven.

I agree on their coffee, it's my favorite... they even put the cream and sugar in it for you now.

Jack in the box's cresent supreme is my all time favorite breakfast sandwich though.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:24 AM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
...they even put the cream and sugar in it for you now.

I thought that was one of the better simple ideas I've seen anyone come up with in a while. In high traffic areas, that's gotta be a good thing in the early A.M.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #25
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

spam and eggs is the best.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:34 AM   #26
timmynausea
College Starter

I've finally gotten to the point where McDonald's seems pretty disgusting to me. I ate a lot of it for years, often multiple times in a week, but made a conscious effort to cut back on fast food starting a year or so ago. Now it doesn't even sound remotely appetizing, which is actually good and bad. It's nice to not crave unhealthy food all the time, but it feels weird to not have super convenient food that sounds delicious available at all times. Sometimes I try to figure out what I should have for dinner or whatever, and I'm just stumped.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:37 AM   #27
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I like McD's coffee, tastes pretty good to me.

I'm targeting my missiles right now.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:09 AM   #28
TroyF
Coordinator

Kids like McDonalds too.

hxxp://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/456411,CST-NWS-cell05.article
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #29
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I'm usually not awake in time to take advantage of their breakfasts, but I have eaten dinner for less than 3 dollars before. Double cheesburger + value fries is something like $2.14. Not bad.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #30
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I thought that was one of the better simple ideas I've seen anyone come up with in a while. In high traffic areas, that's gotta be a good thing in the early A.M.

Me too. The first time they did that, I was like, "I asked for one cream and sugar".. the lady says, "It's in the coffee sir."

Great idea.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #31
Izulde
Head Coach

I hate McDonald's for anything but their sausage biscuits, which are divine.

Now I'm hungry for one and it's past breakfast menu hour

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:02 PM   #32
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

This thread will make you hungry. I love this sausage mcgriddles but then I found out how bad they were for you and haven't had one since. I used to bribe my students last year and tell them if they were late to class, but brought me a sausage mcgriddle, I wouldn't write them up for being tardy.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:06 PM   #33
Ksyrup

Outside of business trips and vacations, I can't recall the last time I ate a fast-food breakfast (has to be 10-15 years, at least). When I went on my diet, breakfast was the easiest meal of the day to control. I can't imagine eating any of this crap several times a week.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-06-2007, 02:07 PM   #34
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I'm usually not awake in time to take advantage of their breakfasts, but I have eaten dinner for less than 3 dollars before. Double cheesburger + value fries is something like $2.14. Not bad.

That's why I like Wendy's now. I can get a baked potato and a side salad for $2.12.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:23 PM   #35
MikeVic
Head Coach

This should be in the Stalls thread.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:47 PM   #36
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Outside of business trips and vacations, I can't recall the last time I ate a fast-food breakfast (has to be 10-15 years, at least). When I went on my diet, breakfast was the easiest meal of the day to control. I can't imagine eating any of this crap several times a week.
Once I graduated college my fast food consumption went down dramatically... now I go generally no more than once or twice a month (unless you count like Subway and Quizno's as fast food)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 02:59 PM   #37
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Good cup of coffee?

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:06 PM   #38
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
Once I graduated college my fast food consumption went down dramatically... now I go generally no more than once or twice a month (unless you count like Subway and Quizno's as fast food)...

Out of necessity, we hit the Subway/Quizno's/Wendy's a fair amount because of the kids and being short on time, but breakfast...we'd have to go out of our way to eat breakfast out. And combined with how unhealthy it is, it's just a no-brainer to stay home.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:15 PM   #39
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I can't believe this many people are supoorting the Devil's breakfast.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
... but breakfast...we'd have to go out of our way to eat breakfast out.

Same here, which is one of the reasons I consider it a treat worth noting.

Last night was an odd case, with me dining alone I was able to turn dinner into breakfast. Alas, the rest of the house aren't really breakfast fans, certainly nowhere near the degree that I am.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:54 PM   #41
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I'm in the mood for a Shmiscuit right now.

Shmuffins here.
Mmmm shmuffin.

Usually I make my coffee at home and take it to work in a travel mug, then for breakfast I either eat instsant oatmeal at my desk or I go to our cafeteria for an English muffin with egg and cheese for just over a buck. Of course, sometimes they have better "specials" for breakfast, like omelets.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 PM   #42
King of New York
High School Varsity

Just wondering: have any of you McDonald's breakfast lovers ever worked as a cook at McDonald's?

I did, for one summer. I have never eaten an egg since.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:16 PM   #43
bhlloy
Coordinator

I worked at McDonalds for 2 years in high school and I still love the breakfast menu and the Big Mac. Hash Browns are the best hangover cure in the world.

Do you honestly think what goes into an egg mcmuffin is in anyway worse than what goes into pre-packaged food?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:23 PM   #44
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I worked at McDonalds for 2 years in high school and I still love the breakfast menu and the Big Mac. Hash Browns are the best hangover cure in the world.

Do you honestly think what goes into an egg mcmuffin is in anyway worse than what goes into pre-packaged food?

It's not the ingredients--it was the smell of 40 to 60 eggs cooking at once, for four to five hours straight, that got to me in the end. That, and smelling like an egg McMuffin for the rest of the day after I was finally done with my shift.