Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Barry Bonds Autograph Advice

So a few years ago, I went to my local "community day" in my town. Being a pitcher for my local travel teams, I decided to enter the fastest pitch contest, with the perosn with the fastest throw at the end of the day winning an autographed baseball.

So, I threw my pitch, hit 65 mph, and went home. Later in the day, my mom, who was still there, gave me a call saying that someone beat me. It was a friend of mine, so I went back to challenge him. I eventually hit 70 mph, and had the lead once again. I went home once again, and then got a call from the volunteers that were working there. I had won!

My Dad drove me back to community day so I could pick my prize. I saw one that I wanted. It was Orlando Hernandez. Being a Yankee fan, I couldn't but help but want my player's autograph...but my Dad convinced me to take Barry Bonds, so I did.

So now, about eight or so years later, Barry Bonds is four homeruns away from tying the all-time homerun record. My dillema now, is do I keep it for a while? Basically, I have no idea how much it's worth is going to go up after he breaks it. How much will it go down if he is proved to have been using steroids? Should I wait a while, or sell it as soon as he breaks it? I don't really know to much about this stuff. So please help!

JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
sooner333
College Starter

I would probably sell it pretty fast, just because you never know what could happen. McGwire stuff went pretty hot until Bonds broke the record. While 755+ will be harder to break, it will also be easier to see it coming from a few years out.

Also, is the autograph authenticated?
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Sell it and use the money to take your dad out for a steak.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Yeah, sell it the day of/after. I sat on my old McGwire memoralbilia just a weeeeeeeeeee bit too long. C'mon Hall of Fame Committee, LOL
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #5
st.cronin
General Manager

If you're planning on selling it, sell it sooner rather than later. As long as you have a safe place to keep it, I wouldn't sell it at all, though. It'll probably show some volatility over the next few years, but in the long run should be a pretty good asset.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:20 PM   #6
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

It is authenticated.

Two of you say sell it fast, one of you says keep it. I have no idea what to do.

I really am worried that if I keep it, the steroid issue is going to hurt me in the long run.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:21 PM   #7
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Plus, I also have to think about keeping it simply for my own personal value. I love baseball memorabilia, I love baseball history.

Honestly, if this were someone without a steroid cloud hanging over their head, I would keep it. But keeping it for myself only to find out it's all a sham would really suck, and then I'd still get less for it.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #8
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
It is authenticated.

Two of you say sell it fast, one of you says keep it. I have no idea what to do.

I really am worried that if I keep it, the steroid issue is going to hurt me in the long run.

Its my belief that the steroids will be a short-term problem, so if you decide you want to hold onto it, in the long run, it will be a valuable item. By long term I mean 25 years or more. So if you're planning to sell it at all, I would sell it as soon as possible. But if you're tempted to hold it, I think you'll see good appreciation in your lifetime.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
Swaggs
Coordinator

Keep it and enjoy it for yourself as your "trophy" for winning the contest.

There is no shortage of autographed memorabila out there for modern players. Unless you are really strapped for a couple-hundred bucks, it is probably better served as a great memory/story for you.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsIn06 View Post
It is authenticated.

Baseball memorabilia usually peaks at a major event (755, 62, 500, ect) and after a player is voted into the Hall of Fame.

Outside of that, the market is so flooded with stuff now because fans are aware of the potential value of items and how to properly take care of them so prices typically aren't what you'd expect.

A Bonds autographed ball would be great if you have a collection or plan on starting a baseball memorabilia collection, but it doesn't sound like that's the case here. I'd hold onto it until he breaks the record and see what people are offering then. If its a price you like, then I'd sell, value probably won't get higher than it is around 755 for quite a few years.

If it were a ball that was somehow tied to an event, I could see holding onto it because its value isn't going to change a whole lot. However, this has no ties to Bonds other than the fact that he signed it.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:10 AM   #11
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Keep it, but wipe your ass with it instead. That would be fun I think.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #12
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Keep it, but wipe your ass with it instead. That would be fun I think.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:08 AM   #13
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Keep it. After he breaks the record, take it to a Giants game. During batting practice, lean over the railing and wave it at him. If he makes eye contact, hold the ball out to him and say "Hey asshole, can you erase this for me?"
Old 07-04-2007, 10:12 AM   #14
MikeVic
Head Coach

So... how them Jets doing in 06?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:44 PM   #15
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sell it, you might as well make some money off that cheating steroid freak a-hole...
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #16
Buccaneer
Head Coach

In the card forum that I frequent, somone asked a very similar question: "will Bond cards spike?" The consencus that like with any news events, you will get a short spike (measured in days). We've seen this with any major record breaker or early death (like Puckett). Long term, none of Bonds cards and memoriabilia will hold their value with the exception of the Tiffany card perhaps. Contrary to assumptions, HOF inductees show zero spikes - unless they are a surprise winner (like Sutter). Any values a potential HOFer have will have already reached the max long before that and will start going down soon after retirement. None of the stars and future HOFers that started between 1986-1991 will be of any real value long term because of the tremendous hordes of cards produced during this period. As far as autos, if they are authenticated (by PSA/DNA, not by some fly-by-night outfit), they may be worth something but like the cards, there will be millions of them out there.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #17
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Keep it. After he breaks the record, take it to a Giants game. During batting practice, lean over the railing and wave it at him. If he makes eye contact, hold the ball out to him and say "Hey asshole, can you erase this for me?"

I really like this idea
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:48 PM   #18
JediKooter
Coordinator

You can always let your dog play with it.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:02 PM   #19
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Sell it, you might as well make some money off that cheating steroid freak a-hole...

Jeez, did he run over your dog?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #20
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I have an even better idea. Take it to a Giants game, and if Bonds wanders nearby, hand him the ball and a pen. When he looks at it and says "It already has my signature on it", say "I know, I was wondering if you could add an asterik for me".
Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM   #21
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I have an even better idea. Take it to a Giants game, and if Bonds wanders nearby, hand him the ball and a pen. When he looks at it and says "It already has my signature on it", say "I know, I was wondering if you could add an asterik for me".
OH SNAP
Old 07-08-2007, 07:08 PM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

In favor of both suggestions in this thread

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote