Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-25-2007, 04:22 PM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Post Slo-Pitch or Outdoor Soccer?

I want to start playing organized sports again. The summer league registration is ending on June 27th.

I've played softball for a couple of years in the past, but that was about two years ago. It was a fun league, not too much competition.

I haven't played soccer since grade 4, so it's been awhile.

Not really sure which to go for. It seems like I won't really get a cardio work out with slo-pitch, but I also won't have to buy soccer shoes. But maybe in a rec league I can just run with my runners...

Any input to help me choose?

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:23 PM   #2
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Softball!
Old 06-25-2007, 04:23 PM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

oh what the hell. I can't seem to create a poll. I've deleted this thread already before. Bah. Stupid incompetance.

Please respond with an answer.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:28 PM   #4
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Soccer!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

soccer. but be ready to puke
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:38 PM   #6
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I'd probably say soccer too. I played some softball when I tried to get back into sports and promptly pulled muscles like crazy. At least soccer has more general motion and isn't as much starting and stopping.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
Ryan S
Quarterback

You don't want to play soccer with regular trainers.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 05:41 PM   #8
astrosfan64
College Prospect

Are you looking for fun or work. I just went back to soccer after a 10 year layoff. Soccer is a blast, but it is work. Softball is just fun.

So if you want the workout and fun go soccer.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:03 PM   #9
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Softball....you can drink beer between innings.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:12 PM   #10
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

I love softball. I am looking for a league to play in here in Little Rock. Its a great way to get in shape but not over exhaust yourself.
Plus there is that whole beer drinking thing
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #11
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer YOU SHOULD REALLY PLAY soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer soccer
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:07 PM   #12
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

If exercise is you goal, definitely soccer
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #14
Desnudo
Coordinator

soccer if you want to get in better shape
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:29 PM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Soccer its great exercise and the best sport in the world ....

(not that I'm biased at all )

PS> Anyone know of a league in Rockledge, FL for overweight 35 yr olds?
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:35 PM   #16
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Ha! I'm in the same boat. I'm doing both. And yeah, soccer is hard, but more athletic and more exercise. Softball is a bunch of (mostly) guys chugging beers as fast as possible while our team hits.

I'm hurting a bit from soccer, and we have back-to-back games today and tomorrow thanks to a rainout. I'm not sure how tomorrow is going to go after tonight's game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:00 PM   #17
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche
Softball....you can drink beer during At Bats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
Fixed.

Really fixed this time
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:24 PM   #18
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Yep.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:28 PM   #19
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think I'm going to try and ease into Softball for the summer, and then try out indoor soccer in the fall. They do that in shifts right? Get used to the running. If I like it, maybe do that in the winter too. Then next summer could be soccer.

I've been running on a treadmill, so I'm pretty sure I can do alright in outdoor soccer, but to me it seems like I should get some soccer skills indoor first, and then try outdoor again...
Old 06-26-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
Travis
Pro Rookie

Just to put in my two cents, not *every* slow pitch team is just there to drink beer. Our team is on the go 2-3 times per week between games/practices with some of us getting out a fourth time for a pick up HR derby or just to hit the ball around. We use our league games to get ourselves ready for tournaments though and admittedly, we're certainly not the norm, but there are quite a few teams like ours out there.

No, we don't do a bunch of cardio or windsprints at practice, we use that time for doing regular ball drills instead, anything like that is purely up the individual and certainly not required, but I've found that the people we bring in to play on the team tend to take the game times more seriously and do a lot more unwinding after games which is pretty much what I like to see.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #21
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

I feel a bit better now. I've been playing in a soccer tournament once a year, consisting of anywhere from 1 to 4 20 minute games over the course of a weekend. It takes a lot out of me, but I've never puked.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 04:39 PM   #22
MikeVic
Head Coach

This is some rec league that I've never participated in before, and know no one that goes to it. It looks like the spring league played eight games as thier season, so it looks to not really be serious. But I also don't think they would be drinking beer between innings.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:51 PM   #23
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

I play soccer in my running shoes all the time, you'll be fine with them!!
Old 06-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #24
SunDevil
College Prospect

Bring beer and play softball.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:31 PM   #25
Pyser
Pro Rookie

this thread reminded me to sign up for the summer/fall soccer league here, since i keep missing registration.

i missed it again, the "free agent" meeting was on sunday. but my name is on the free agent list now, so hopefully a team will pick me up.

los angeles is too overwhelming at time...
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #26
RendeR
Coordinator

Tennis is better than both.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #27
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
this thread reminded me to sign up for the summer/fall soccer league here, since i keep missing registration.

i missed it again, the "free agent" meeting was on sunday. but my name is on the free agent list now, so hopefully a team will pick me up.

los angeles is too overwhelming at time...

just an update. i spent a day on the free agent list, got anxious, called the league, got the free agent list myself, and started my own team.

we've been practicing for a few weeks, and lost our first game last sunday 3-2. and its totally kicking my ass.

good group of guys, though, and we all just decided to up the practices to twice a week, so i'm out there running 3 days a week now. really awesome.

thanks for the reminder/thread, mikevic!
Old 07-20-2007, 02:46 PM   #28
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

I have been in a soccer league the past 2 weeks, just got in from practice, and let me tell you, I feel like I did back in 2 a days playing football. Sore, tired, and it is work. Gametime at 10 am tomorrow and I need to be on an IV.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #29
Ksyrup

I've only got a couple of games left in my softball/soccer seasons. I'll be on vacation in a couple of weeks and missing a bunch, perhaps the playoffs, I'm not sure.

Had a decent soccer game the other night that got shortened to a half because of weather, and boy did I get beat to hell. We were outmanned and the other team had a really good (and big) guy who scored within the first 5 minutes, so after that, I ended up playing him man-to-man and got the crap knocked out of me several times (still have a nice bruise on my knee). I have no skills, so I just got in his way and if he got around me, I forced him outside. After 20 minutes of that, he switched off and played defense. And we ended up tying right before half and earned a point since the game got called. Very lucky, since they should have beaten us.

I also played tennis for the first time in over a decade. I need to find a wall and just hit for a couple of hours because I completely lost my forehand stroke. I had nothing. By the third set I found my backhand and was hitting it pretty solid. Only thing that kept me in it at all was my serve - the guy I was playing couldn't return it. I definitely enjoy tennis more than softball or soccer - it seems to be the perfect amount of impact and aerobics for me.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #30
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

So where's your update, MikeVic???
Old 07-20-2007, 02:51 PM   #31
Ksyrup

He's been asked to take a voluntary leave of absence from his team.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:01 PM   #32
MikeVic
Head Coach

Haha.

I picked softball, and judging by how sore I was after last game, it was the wise choice. I'm not in horrible pain, but feel it in my legs a bit. Soccer would have killed my legs. But I still want to try that in the fall.

I got put with a bunch of random people in softball, and we tied our first game. We did score five in the bottom of the last (6th or 7th) inning to tie it though.

The second game sucked, since only half our team could make it. So we got a couple of people from the other team and ended up losing 11-5.

I didn't do anything defensively in the first game, and only went 1-for-4. The second game was much better, as I got the first several outs in LF. And I was also 2-for-4 with a run scored.

But our entire team has agreed that we need practice. I've completely forgotten how to hit, and end up just barely hitting it out of the infield. Haha.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #33
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I've only got a couple of games left in my softball/soccer seasons. I'll be on vacation in a couple of weeks and missing a bunch, perhaps the playoffs, I'm not sure.

Had a decent soccer game the other night that got shortened to a half because of weather, and boy did I get beat to hell. We were outmanned and the other team had a really good (and big) guy who scored within the first 5 minutes, so after that, I ended up playing him man-to-man and got the crap knocked out of me several times (still have a nice bruise on my knee). I have no skills, so I just got in his way and if he got around me, I forced him outside. After 20 minutes of that, he switched off and played defense. And we ended up tying right before half and earned a point since the game got called. Very lucky, since they should have beaten us.

I also played tennis for the first time in over a decade. I need to find a wall and just hit for a couple of hours because I completely lost my forehand stroke. I had nothing. By the third set I found my backhand and was hitting it pretty solid. Only thing that kept me in it at all was my serve - the guy I was playing couldn't return it. I definitely enjoy tennis more than softball or soccer - it seems to be the perfect amount of impact and aerobics for me.

That's why, on most evenings if you go to a local tennis court, you'll see 70+ year olds playing tennis (and being pretty good at it usually). Because it is so low-impact (in particular doubles), and a great, light workout.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:11 PM   #34
Ksyrup

Yeah, and sadly, I feel closer to 70 than 20 these days.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:23 PM   #35
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i thought tennis was a good workout when i was playing last year, but now im realizing it was a lot more standing around or walking to get balls. its a lot of fun to play, but at the skill level im at rallys dont last long, and there's just too much "down time".

if i sprinted to pick up every ball, though, itd be a great workout.

id just look dumb is all
Old 07-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #36
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i thought tennis was a good workout when i was playing last year, but now im realizing it was a lot more standing around or walking to get balls. its a lot of fun to play, but at the skill level im at rallys dont last long, and there's just too much "down time".

if i sprinted to pick up every ball, though, itd be a great workout.

id just look dumb is all

Yep, this is exactly how I feel, and it why I have decided to play soccer pretty much every night now (while I'm still in a health & social situation to be able to do it).
Old 07-26-2007, 09:21 PM   #37
Ksyrup

Just got finished with our final regular season soccer game tonight. We played the only undefeated team in our league and beat them 4-1. I had 2 solid shots on goal and an assist. I was pretty damn stoked, considering I'm usually satisfied with playing adequate defense and staying in the way of the guy I'm marking. Unfortunately, I'm out of town next week and missing our first (and hopefully not last) playoff game.

Oh, and I freaking hate blisters on the feet.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #38
14ers
High School Varsity

BOWLING baby!!

Bowling, the sport of American Fat Slobs everywhere.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:21 PM   #39
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

My heels are pretty blistered. But, this is pretty fun, even though I cannot remember the last time I ran this much.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:43 AM   #40
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
BOWLING baby!!

You and Pumpy should get together.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:39 AM   #41
MikeVic
Head Coach

Can you play indoor soccer with runners, or are there special shoes?

My team won yesterday's softball game something like 20-3. Fun times. I went 3-for-4 with a couple runs scored. Can't believe I struck out once.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #42
Pyser
Pro Rookie

there are turf shoes for soccer. do you need them? not necessarily. but they dont hurt.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #43
MikeVic
Head Coach

We played a double-header today. Won the first game something like 11-3. Played the same team we beat 20-3 last week. I went 3-for-5 with 4 runs scored, a double, and at least one RBI. Had a couple of nice alert base-running plays.

Second game we beat the champs from the spring league 5-2. Very close game. I've moved to the leadoff spot for this game. Went 2-for-4 with a double, a run, and an RBI.

I played LF and CF in both games. Our team is actually pretty decent in relation to the rest of the league,and I know that I'm personally getting better as the games go by.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:55 AM   #44
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Soccer its great exercise and the best sport in the world ....

(not that I'm biased at all )

PS> Anyone know of a league in Rockledge, FL for overweight 35 yr olds?

If you find one let me know Ill be happy to join you since im in Sat Beach and could use the workout myself. Not overweight just out of shape and smoke
-apoc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #45
MikeVic
Head Coach

Played again last night. Beat the team that we tied in our first game, and we beat them 25-12 this time around. Our team has really come together nicely.

I played LF and got one out. The CF and I ran into each other on a ball that was hit right in the middle of us. I didn't think i had a chance to get it, but ran after it. Didn't hear anyone claiming it, so I ran harder. I guess he did the same thing, and we collided lol. He made a really nice catch later in the game though.

I ended up going 3-for-4 with a walk and 3 runs scored.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #46
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ers View Post
BOWLING baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
You and Pumpy should get together.
Wow, I missed these posts before.

I'm almost certainly joining a bowling league this fall, and I have a couple of people urging me to join an Ultimate (aka Ultimate Frisbee) team next summer. I haven't played organized sports in almost 20 years. This could get interesting.

Also, MikeVic, did you make the catch on the play where you and the CF collided? If so, that's some pretty hardcore defense. Maybe they should move you to center.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:23 AM   #47
rkmsuf
Head Coach

You should play Frolf.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:28 AM   #48
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
You should play Frolf.
YEAH WELL MAYBE YOU SHOULD PLAY TOUCH MY BOOTY
Old 08-13-2007, 09:33 AM   #49
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Also, MikeVic, did you make the catch on the play where you and the CF collided? If so, that's some pretty hardcore defense. Maybe they should move you to center.

Haha, no... I cut my lip on my teeth though. The ball kind of sailed over both of us.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:15 PM   #50
MikeVic
Head Coach

We beat an undefeated team 23-19 and are now in 1st. I went 4-for-5 with three runs scored, two doubles, and an RBI.

Also played 1B since our regular wasn't there today. Made a quick-thinking play to throw out a runner at home.