Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

40-year old coach weds 16-year old girl

Story

Quote:
The Hagers are trying to figure out how life went off track for their teenage daughter, Windy.

They envisioned that life for the good student and promising athlete would be filled with dreams of the prom and college, but that all changed this week when Windy, 16, married her high school track coach.

"She was a dream kid," said her mother, Betty Hager. "We'd never have to worry about Windy trying to get by with something."

At South Brunswick High School in North Carolina, Windy's greatest passion was track and field.

"She just always was outside, always running, and her name's Windy I guess she was predestined to do love to do that," Betty said.

But that passion led her down a troubling path.

Special Attention From Coach

During Windy's freshman year, her 38-year-old track coach, Brenton Wuchae, began taking a more active interest in her, offering to give the 14-year-old rides home from practice.

"He just seemed like a genuine guy, like he was there for the kids," said Windy's father, Dennis Hager.

But the Hagers eventually grew uneasy. Their phone bills showed text messages between Wuchae and Windy as late as 2 a.m.

They also discovered worrying e-mails. In one, Windy wrote to a friend, "I don't care to look at anyone other than him. He is the apple of my eye, I've never felt this way for someone, but I just don't want to lose him because of my parents' power trips."

The Hagers confronted Wuchae.

"He assured me there was nothing like that going on, [and that] they were just friends. His intentions were purely appropriate," Dennis said.

Not satisfied with that answer, the Hagers turned to the school district, which spoke to the coach.

The principal of the high school wrote to the Hagers, "I have seen nothing but a cooperative attitude from the teacher, and to the best of my knowledge, he has not had any contact with Windy since then."

"School officials can't be responsible for what happens the other hours of the day, and I would think the relationship developed much more outside of school," said Brian Shaw, an attorney for the school district.

The Hagers contacted police; they even tried to get a restraining order.

"We've tried everybody. We've been to the law. We've been to the school board," Betty said. "Our family has come and tried to talk to her. We've had people on the phone with her for hours family, friends. We've been to our pastor asking for guidance. We've been to his pastor."

Meanwhile, the Hagers say Windy withdrew, refusing to speak to them until she asked them to sign a consent form so that she and her coach a man more than twice her age could get married.

Although anguished, her weary parents gave in.

"Signing those consent forms was the hardest thing I did in my whole life, but we had to move on, it was going to kill us all," Dennis said.

Monday, Windy and Wuchae married, and he resigned from the school.

But was Windy really old enough to understand her decision? Experts say it's a difficult situation.

"With most teenagers, they're not sure yet who's who and what's what and what should be done," said Henry Paul, author of the book "Is My Teenager OK?" "It's obviously up to the adult figure to set the boundaries."

Windy and her new husband would not comment for this story, but the Hagers realize what they've lost.

"She could have done anything," Betty said. "She could have set the world on fire. She threw it all away."

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-22-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:15 PM   #2
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

What happened to when parents told their kids not to go out and be home or else? And why let her marry him if she's destroying her life? To formalize her silliness?
Old 06-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Why in the Hell did they sign those consent forms?! I realize it was tough that their daughter wouldn't speak to them, but for God's sake, think about what is best in the long term. She's 16, FFS... by 18 (I assume that's legal age) she may realize how silly she was.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:21 PM   #4
MikeVic
Head Coach

Yeah, that's dumb. Why sign the consent forms? I also found the sample e-mail they quoted to be worded kinda different for how I thought 16-year-olds wrote e-mails to friends.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Yeah, that's dumb. Why sign the consent forms? I also found the sample e-mail they quoted to be worded kinda different for how I thought 16-year-olds wrote e-mails to friends.

Who the hell uses apple of my eye anymore???

Maybe 8PP!3 of my I...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

Three things.

1) If this was a case of 'Wendy, but wait, let's make it *special* and name her 'Windy' instead," then I can't help but feel like they got the karmic kick in the ass that parents like that deserve.

2) The hell? When did 'no' become a forbidden word when dealing with your children?

3) He resigned, rather than get fired. So now she's married this jobless dude, and if he's a track coach, I have to wonder what his job prospects look like. Is he even hireable material at a school again?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:25 PM   #7
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
2) The hell? When did 'no' become a forbidden word when dealing with your children?

Word.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I wonder how good she must've been if he told her "no baby, you're so good that you should be running laps around my house getting the laundry, rather than on the track."

Some coach.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:40 PM   #9
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

This thread needs pictures of that pole vaulter chick.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Three things.

1) If this was a case of 'Wendy, but wait, let's make it *special* and name her 'Windy' instead," then I can't help but feel like they got the karmic kick in the ass that parents like that deserve.

The day you name your kid after the weather forecast is the day things start tuning bad for your kid.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #11
TroyF
Coordinator

I saw this story today and about threw up. What twisted parents and what a sick bastard track coach that guy is. Signing the consent forms? I wouldn't sign a damned thing, but I would be kicking someones ass.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
The day you name your kid after the weather forecast is the day things start tuning bad for your kid.

Or a fruit or vegetable I think.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #13
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Or a fruit or vegetable I think.

Yeah. That Strawberry Shortcake was seriously fucked in the head, man.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 04:58 PM   #14
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
I know of a family that went through something similar. As a junior in HS their daughter started dating the track coach at her Catholic School...it went on for over a year until the school found out and fired him. They continued to see each other, she ended up graduating and going on to college, still seeing him. Got pregnant, they got married and now have 4 kids, they've been together for 17 or 18 years now. The age difference wasn't as big, I think he's only 8 or 10 years older than her, but still...the family was devastated. They came around eventually and all get along now, but it was very rough for a good 3 - 5 years.

Ironically, about 4 or 5 years ago the parents split and the mother became a lesbian, dating and living with a woman named Frost, who supposedly "recruited" her into the lifestyle.
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #15
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

It's getting worse than just weather forcasts too...
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:23 PM   #16
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I saw this story today and about threw up. What twisted parents and what a sick bastard track coach that guy is. Signing the consent forms? I wouldn't sign a damned thing, but I would be kicking someones ass.

Ditto that. I can't imagine ever being so "tired" or worn down that I would ever sign a consent form for my 16 year old daughter to marry anyone, particularly a man well over twice her age.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:54 PM   #17
timmynausea
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliegirl View Post
Ironically, about 4 or 5 years ago the parents split and the mother became a lesbian, dating and living with a woman named Frost, who supposedly "recruited" her into the lifestyle.

This is exactly why I never let my mom or girlfriend watch American Gladiators.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:12 PM   #18
CraigSca
Pro Starter

She's probably peekin' out from under a stairway, calling a name that's lighter than air, and bending down to give me a rainbow as we speak.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #19
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
and the mother became a lesbian, dating and living with a woman named Frost, who supposedly "recruited" her into the lifestyle.

I wonder what pitch Frost used? Team prestige? Playing time?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #20
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

"ruining your life" is the most overused statement ever. haveing a kid at a young age isnt ruining your life. getting married at a young age isnt ruining it. going to jail isnt ruining it. and not going to college isnt ruining a life

but naming your child Windy or after a fruit or landmark will ruin it

Last edited by bulletsponge : 06-22-2007 at 06:22 PM.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #21
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I know of a family that went through something similar. As a junior in HS their daughter started dating the track coach at her Catholic School...it went on for over a year until the school found out and fired him. They continued to see each other, she ended up graduating and going on to college, still seeing him. Got pregnant, they got married and now have 4 kids, they've been together for 17 or 18 years now. The age difference wasn't as big, I think he's only 8 or 10 years older than her, but still...the family was devastated. They came around eventually and all get along now, but it was very rough for a good 3 - 5 years.

I worked with a woman in South Carolina who got pregnant by her 30 year old boyfriend when she was 14 and they married. Her parents almost killed him but like these parents allowed the marriage though the families were estranged for a while.

When I knew her she was 30 and had 5 kids and still loved her husband and the families had reconciled . I'm not saying that this is a good thing but just saying, you never know. It's not anything I'd ever do but I'm far from someone who should be judging others personal decisions that don't affect my life in even a tangental way.

Of course, in the Carolinas there were a lot of marriages with big age differences so it's less socially taboo but she's the only one I was aware of who entered the relationship as a minor which is the actual issue here.

Last edited by Axxon : 06-22-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #22
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post

Gold.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:48 PM   #23
Critch
lolzcat

I used to work with a female who moved out of her parents house and moved in with one of her father's friends (former friends, I guess) on the day that she turned 16. They'd had a secret affair before she turned 16, her parents were shocked when she moved in with the guy, they had no idea.

I knew her a few years later, by then she was about 22-ish, he was in his 60's. When we met him the big shock was that it wasn't a Sean Connery type that had whisked away this youngster, but a little bald man with a huge beer-belly.

There's hope for us all

Last edited by Critch : 06-22-2007 at 06:49 PM.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:50 PM   #24
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:

My bet is a position change.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 06:59 PM   #25
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
The Hagers are trying to figure out how life went off track for their teenage daughter, Windy.

Quote:
... dating and living with a woman named Frost ...

I'm starting to have second thoughts about naming my daughter "Slushy Rain Blizzard",
Old 06-22-2007, 07:23 PM   #26
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fuckin A, if some 36 year old ever tries to be too friendly with one of my girls, I will be kicking his fucking ass. Stupid parents though, no way in hell do I sign some consent form. I'd send her to military school first.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #27
TroyF
Coordinator

Maybe it'll work, who the hell knows. But if it's the right thing for both of them, they could wait until she was 18 and finished HS. There is no way in hell I'd sign the consent forms.

You can't control what your kids do all the time. Sometimes saying no doesn't work. But when you compromise your values and sign something you don't believe in, it tells me a lot about the way you raised your kid to begin with.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #28
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

my guess is young girls that go for way older men are looking for a father because thier real one is lousy. but that might not be the case for all
Old 06-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #29
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
my guess is young girls that go for way older men are looking for a father because thier real one is lousy. but that might not be the case for all

Hey pal, don't go blaming us lousy fathers!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:20 PM   #30
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Hey pal, don't go blaming us lousy fathers!

you have a teenage daughter? hmmm... pic plz

Last edited by bulletsponge : 06-22-2007 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #31
Izulde
Head Coach

FWIW, I don't find anything wrong with the age difference here... I do think, however, that they should've waited.

The more and more time I spend in college, the more and more I realize that it's often not until the mid 20s that women figure their shit out.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:38 PM   #32
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
you have a teenage daughter? hmmm... pic plz

I would treat you as a passenger in a Texas automobile...
Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 PM   #33
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

I would treat you as a passenger in a Texas automobile...

ok, call me when she turns 18
Old 06-22-2007, 11:32 PM   #34
Fouts
College Starter

My daughter is 12. If this happens in the next 4 years, I will take her phone and move her to another school. I would then tell her that if they kept in contact after that, I would notify the school system and police. At 18 she can decide who she wants to marry.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:39 PM   #35
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
She's probably peekin' out from under a stairway, calling a name that's lighter than air, and bending down to give me a rainbow as we speak.

Everyone knows it's Windy
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:42 PM   #36
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

Style of play.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:09 AM   #37
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Style of play.

Offensive formation?
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #38
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
FWIW, I don't find anything wrong with the age difference here... I do think, however, that they should've waited.

Nothing wrong with a 40 year old man and a 16 year old girl? Yikes.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:04 AM   #39
cougarfreak
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fouts View Post
My daughter is 12. If this happens in the next 4 years, I will take her phone and move her to another school. I would then tell her that if they kept in contact after that, I would notify the school system and police. At 18 she can decide who she wants to marry.

I wouldn't wait, I'd call police immediately.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #40
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
Offensive formation?

Smashmouth.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #41
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
ok, call me when she turns 18

Sure thing, but you probably won't like what I'll call you!

By the way... how's your mom these days?
Old 06-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #42
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sure thing, but you probably won't like what I'll call you!

By the way... how's your mom these days?

ok no more joking about daughters or mothers
Old 06-23-2007, 11:04 AM   #43
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Does that surprise anyone?
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:11 AM   #44
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

What? No one is a fan of true love anymore?
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:56 AM   #45
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:

lol. I saw this too and was like, huh?
Old 06-23-2007, 11:58 AM   #46
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
What? No one is a fan of true love anymore?
Chmura for Prez?
Old 06-23-2007, 12:33 PM   #47
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:

Most likely he's saying what I was saying, it's not the age difference ( 24 years ) that's an issue. The age of the child is an issue but he's not really saying it isn't nor is he saying that a 40 year old and a 16 year old should hook up but that there is no problem if a 25 year old hooks up with a 49 year old.

At least that's how I read his post.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:46 PM   #48
Anthony
Banned

whilst watching some pornography, i got to thinking: if you marry a girl whose mom is single, and your single dad marries your wife's mom - does that make your wife's mom your stepmom-in-law?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:01 PM   #49
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Most likely he's saying what I was saying, it's not the age difference ( 24 years ) that's an issue. The age of the child is an issue but he's not really saying it isn't nor is he saying that a 40 year old and a 16 year old should hook up but that there is no problem if a 25 year old hooks up with a 49 year old.

At least that's how I read his post.

I read it as : "I wish there were 16-year-old girls willing to f*ck me. Or any girls for that matter."

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 06-23-2007 at 01:01 PM.
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 01:02 PM   #50
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD View Post
I read it as : "I wish there were 16-year-old girls willing to f*ck me. Or any girls for that matter."

Harsh interpretation.

Of course, if the poster was 16 too...