Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

The Price is WRONG!

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Bob Barker endorsed his friend Rosie O'Donnell as a possible successor on "The Price Is Right," although the newly retired host isn't sure CBS wants a woman to take over the game show.

"I believe they're going to have a meeting with Rosie," Barker said backstage Friday night at the Daytime Emmy Awards, where he won his 19th trophy.

"She knows the show," he said. "There's no doubt in my mind she could do the show. Now, whether they want a lady host, I don't know. I've never heard that discussed. As far as I know, they've only auditioned men."

Barker said his friendship with O'Donnell goes back several years, when she had him as a guest on her old daytime talk show.

"She told me she loved 'The Price Is Right' and wanted to host it one day," he recalled.

Among those mentioned as possible replacement hosts have been Todd Newton of the E! network, Mark Steines of "Entertainment Tonight," George Hamilton and John O'Hurley.

Barker retired last week at age 83 after 35 years of giving away vacations and cars on the hit CBS game show. But he said he may be back with some specials featuring vintage clips and guests.

"If it works out, I'd like to do that," he said.

M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

Bob Barker comes off my list of favorite celebs...
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Bob Barker comes off my list of favorite celebs...

It would ruin the show, but at least she might still keep "Barker's Beauties!"
Old 06-16-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
It would ruin the show, but at least she might still keep "Barker's Beauties!"
We have a winner, thread over.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #5
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Announcer: "Little Debbie snack cakes... delicious fun for the whole family!"
Contestant: "I'll bid two dollars and fifty cents!"
Rosie: "Mmmph?"
(Cut to shot of half eaten Little Debbie snack cakes.)
Old 06-17-2007, 12:36 AM   #6
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Announcer: "Little Debbie snack cakes... delicious fun for the whole family!"
Contestant: "I'll bid two dollars and fifty cents!"
Rosie: "Mmmph?"
(Cut to shot of half eaten Little Debbie snack cakes.)

Sounds like something off of "The Critic"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 12:38 AM   #7
molson
General Manager

I'm actually hoping George Hamilton gets the gig. It would be a seamless transition - I don't need anything young, hip, or lesbian on my Price is Right.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 03:10 AM   #8
Ragone
Pro Rookie

My wife swears up and down to me that mario lopez is gonna get the show..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:03 AM   #9
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I hope John O'hurley gets the gig.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:45 AM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I vote for Bruce Vilanch or Martin Mull.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:46 AM   #11
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I vote for Jessica Alba, at least then I wouldn't care what the hell was actually happening, just let me watch her for an hour a day.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post

i heard this as well
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:19 AM   #13
RendeR
Coordinator

I can't decide whats worse, the fact that we're discussing the merits of a game show host or the fact that anyone still watches that assinine circus anymore at all....

It was cute and funny in the 70's, it was overdone in the 80's it should have been canceled in the 90's and the fact that they are going to keep making it well into this century is just appalling.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:25 AM   #14
flounder
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I can't decide whats worse, the fact that we're discussing the merits of a game show host or the fact that anyone still watches that assinine circus anymore at all....

It was cute and funny in the 70's, it was overdone in the 80's it should have been canceled in the 90's and the fact that they are going to keep making it well into this century is just appalling.

HERESY!
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #15
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post

He took himself out of the running a month ago or so, I thought. I, at least, read something to that effect.

If I can find the piece, I'll post it.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #16
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Yes, because there's a lot of other quality programming that could be shown at 11am on weekdays.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:59 AM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Yes, because there's a lot of other quality programming that could be shown at 11am on weekdays.

I dunno. We could get another talk show from an inane B list celebrity. Or maybe something with a fake judge or psychiatrist. Or start soaps an hour sooner. Considering that The Price is Right is harmless at worst, I'll take it over a lot else.

SI

Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I dunno. We could get another talk show from an inane B list celebrity. Or maybe something with a fake judge or psychiatrist. Or start soaps an hour sooner. Considering that The Price is Right is harmless at worst, I'll take it over a lot else.

SI

I'm not sure if I missed your sarcasm or if you missed mine.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #19
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Why the hell is the potential range of game show hosts always so limited? It's always Todd Newton and two other people that rotate.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:46 AM   #20
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The Price is Right is great. I'm legitimately going to miss Bob Barker. I hope I'm that sharp when I'm his age.

In the final show, there was a classic Bob moment. When it came time to spin the wheel, one of the contestants got $1. When she took her bonus spin she was all excited, and Bob shot her down like half a second into the spin. He's seen it done so many times he knows right away if they have a shot. Literally, she started the spin and he was like "nope, that's not going to do it, off you go". I think the wheel may have still been moving when he had her off the stage.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:47 AM   #21
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The Price is Right is great. I'm legitimately going to miss Bob Barker. I hope I'm that sharp when I'm his age.

In the final show, there was a classic Bob moment. When it came time to spin the wheel, one of the contestants got $1. When she took her bonus spin she was all excited, and Bob shot her down like half a second into the spin. He's seen it done so many times he knows right away if they have a shot. Literally, she started the spin and he was like "nope, that's not going to do it, off you go". I think the wheel may have still been moving when he had her off the stage.

lol, love it
Old 06-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #22
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm not sure if I missed your sarcasm or if you missed mine.

I was agreeing with you, adding to your comments towards the blasphemer

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-17-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:32 PM   #23
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

Blah, blah, blah.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:26 PM   #24
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Blah, blah, blah.

I agree with the blaher. I think it says a lot more about this country if we CAN'T let a show continue for 40+ years when all it does is allow average Joes to go up on stage and compete for decent prizes by playing games that require even a bit of intelligence or skill.

Last edited by Logan : 06-17-2007 at 04:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #25
PSUColonel
Banned

Rosie is an unintelligent fat pig, and a disgusting person who is vicious and raunchy.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:37 PM   #26
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Rosie is an unintelligent fat pig, and a disgusting person who is vicious and raunchy.

True, but how do you feel about her?
Old 06-17-2007, 09:57 PM   #27
PSUColonel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
True, but how do you feel about her?

lol
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #28
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post

Let it command a mirror hither straight,
That it may show me what a face I have
Old 06-17-2007, 10:50 PM   #29
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Let it command a mirror hither straight,
That it may show me what a face I have

I think you could have highlighted one more part of what you quoted.

Last edited by Karlifornia : 06-17-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Karlifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 06:46 AM   #30
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Yeah, I thought it was awesome that even on the last show, he still kept that great sense of timing and pacing he had throughout. And with 2 people falling over, that didn't hurt either.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #31
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

In a way, her taking this job may be the most effective way to keep her from spouting off about serious issues. It's not like she's going to be able to incorporate her beliefs about serious issues into a game show. I don't really care what happens to this show, so I'd almost rather see her turn into Louie Anderson than get some kind of Al Frankenesque vehicle.

Rosie O'Donnell Wants 'Price' Job
Jun 20 07:46 AM US/Eastern

LOS ANGELES (AP) - "The Price Is Right" needs a host, and Rosie O'Donnell is interested. Very interested. The 45-year-old said on her blog recently that she was meeting with the "Price" people this week and that she "sure would" accept the job if they offer.
"I LOVE THE PRICE IS RIGHT," she wrote, the capitalization underscoring her feelings.

CBS and FremantleMedia North America, which produces the hit game show, have been seeking a replacement for the venerable Bob Barker, who retired this month after 35 years as the show's host.

Among those reportedly in the running are Todd Newton of the E! network, Mark Steines of "Entertainment Tonight," George Hamilton and John O'Hurley. But Barker said O'Donnell is his pick.

"She knows the show," he said backstage at Friday's Daytime Emmy Awards. "There's no doubt in my mind she could do the show. Now, whether they want a lady host, I don't know. I've never heard that discussed. As far as I know, they've only auditioned men."

CBS and FremantleMedia had no comment Tuesday.

O'Donnell's spokeswoman, Cindi Berger, was not specific about the ex- "View" commentator's plans: "Rosie is meeting with several networks about a lot of different ideas."

"The Price Is Right" is filmed in Los Angeles. O'Donnell lives in Nyack, New York, near New York City, with her partner and their four children.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-20-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:43 AM   #32
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
In a way, her taking this job may be the most effective way to keep her from spouting off about serious issues. It's not like she's going to be able to incorporate her beliefs about serious issues into a game show.

HA! Just wait until Rod Roddy (I know he died, but whoever his replacement is...) announces THE NEW CAR being offered and she goes into a diatribe about gas guzzling, global warming, rising gas prices, oil company profits, and finally brings it back to Bush being The Devil.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 AM   #33
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I would never watch another episode again.

I still may never
Old 06-20-2007, 10:49 AM   #34
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
HA! Just wait until Rod Roddy (I know he died, but whoever his replacement is...) announces THE NEW CAR being offered and she goes into a diatribe about gas guzzling, global warming, rising gas prices, oil company profits, and finally brings it back to Bush being The Devil.

That would, for at least a short time, be unmissable television.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:55 AM   #35
Ksyrup

What's the retail price of a Civic Hybrid?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-20-2007, 10:56 AM   #36
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

FWIW I don't think she has any shot at getting the job.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:58 AM   #37
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That would, for at least a short time, be unmissable television.

As I wrote it, I was dying just thinking of a sweet old grandma from Utah staring off into the audience, all confused and looking for support while all this was going on. Or a ditzy Spring-Breaker from Michigan with a puzzled look on her face as she twirled her gum on her finger.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:52 PM   #38
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Rich Fields replaced Rod Roddy, and actually did a very good job.

Now, back to the Rosie-bashing
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:04 AM   #39
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

It gets worse. I think Rosie might actually be more appealing than this.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/art..._the_Price.asp

The hottest television story this summer has been playing out for weeks, and it may not be resolved for another two months.

The story: Who will replace Bob Barker as host of CBS’s top-rated game show “The Price is Right.”

This week, an otherwise slow one for news, an intriguing new possibility has emerged.

Dan Patrick, the charismatic and popular longtime anchor of ESPN’s nightly news program “SportsCenter,” has been approached by producers of the "Price" asking him to audition.

Patrick says he declined the invitation but he's also rumored to be leaving ESPN amidst rocky contract talks, meaning he could reconsider. That makes him easily the most interesting candidate in a field that consists mainly of D-list actors.

The one A-lister, Rosie O’Donnell, has already pulled herself out of contention.

Patrick is handsome, quick-witted and genial, the traits that helped Barker and the show become daytime’s No. 1 show, with an average 6 million total viewers. He'd been an ideal fit for the show's current audience, which skews female with a median age of 63, according to Magna Global analysis of Nielsen data.

But Patrick could help pull an entirely new audience to the game show.

With his 18 years at ESPN and appearances in Adam Sandler movies like “The Waterboy” and “The Longest Yard,” Patrick could draw in a younger male demographic as well, those who watch him on “SportsCenter” and who made his book “The Big Show,” co-authored by Keith Olbermann, a bestseller in 1998.

Though he's a long shot, Patrick would would make so much more sense for "Price" than some of the other names who are contenders. Actors George Hamilton, Mario Lopez and John O’Hurley have all been mentioned as frontrunners, but none would bring substantial fan bases to the show.

In fact, the three men are better known for their appearances on ABC reality series “Dancing With the Stars” than any recent films or TV shows in which they've appeared.

The past year has proven that even the most popular shows can be knocked down with the wrong personalities.

“CBS Evening News,” which had been making gains under Bob Schieffer, slipped to all-time worst ratings after Katie Couric took over. "Today" dipped after Meredith Vieira replaced Couric. Both women have at times seemed uncomfortable in their new positions.

By contrast, “The View” thrived after O'Donnell slid in for Vieira because of the comedian's outsized personality, which was just what the show needed.

Yet O’Donnell would have been a poor choice for “Price.” That outsized personality would have distracted viewers' attention from the game, which is the real star of the show.

O’Donnell said last month that she had abandoned her “Price” ambitions because she didn’t want to move from New York to Los Angeles, where the show is filmed.

“Price” is currently in reruns after airing Barker’s last episode last month. A new host is expected to be announced before the new season begins in September, though producers have indicated no timetable.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-06-2007 at 08:04 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:09 AM   #40
Ksyrup

That's interesting. I didn't know he was having contract issues with ESPN. How does his radio show do? TBH, whenever I get the chance to listen, I'm less than impressed. And I also viewed them bringing Olbermann back as a sign that his show was faltering, but I have no clue.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:13 AM   #41
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Where exactly do they think they will get this younger male demographic for a show that is on at 10am?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:16 AM   #42
Ksyrup

College kids, but it's always been popular with them, right? I assume it would be about trying to grow that audience, and at least hanging onto it.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #43
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I think it's time to let Price is Right go. Let it retire with Bob.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 08:32 AM   #44
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't know he was having contract issues with ESPN. How does his radio show do? TBH, whenever I get the chance to listen, I'm less than impressed. And I also viewed them bringing Olbermann back as a sign that his show was faltering, but I have no clue.

Best I can tell (having heard nary a word about it until this morning myself) is that the speculation stems from an article on 7/4 from a Chicago Tribune columnist (Teddy Greenstein).

ESPN could be on the verge of losing one of its signature personalities.

Unfortunately, it's not Chris Berman.

Dan Patrick, the multitalented 18-year vet who has hinted recently of a major upcoming announcement, is strongly considering leaving the network.

An industry source said there was a "90 percent chance" he would announce his farewell during his Thursday radio show, which airs locally from noon-3 p.m. on WMVP-AM 1000.

ESPN does not want to lose Patrick, and spokesman Josh Krulewitz indicated Tuesday the situation has yet to be resolved.

"Dan is under contract through next year and we are in discussion with him about his future," Krulewitz said. "Any speculation is premature."

If he leaves, the 51-year-old Patrick is expected to take time off before considering TV and nationally syndicated radio offers.

Producers from "The Price is Right" recently contacted Patrick to ask if he would like to succeed Bob Barker. The L.A. Daily News reported that Patrick's only response to the report was whimsical: "Len Barker was always one of my favorite pitchers. ... "

That was followed yesterday by a smaller blurb
Dan Patrick's big announcement will have to wait until Monday. ESPN Radio affiliates learned Thursday morning that Patrick would not be returning from his vacation until after the weekend. Brian Kenny will guest-host Friday.
Patrick has been discussing his future at ESPN with network officials. An industry source told the Tribune on Tuesday that the 18-year vet is poised to announce his departure, but an obvious sticking point is that Patrick is under contract through 2008.

As for how he does, it's hard to be in completely awful shape when you've got something in the neighborhood of 700 affiliates. I've never had any impression that the show was a big deal in many places, but when you're even a small deal on that many stations, well, sooner or later it starts to add up.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:35 AM   #45
Ksyrup

Maybe CBS will hire him to tag-team with Katie Couric.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think Dan Patrick would get bored on daytime TV. But then again...

I think the show doesn't need to be retired per se, but I do think they're sure going through a very limited base to choose who to replace ol' Bob. Not surprise, given who is doing the choosing. But still...
Old 07-06-2007, 09:22 AM   #47
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Maybe CBS will hire him to tag-team with Katie Couric.
Somehow, I mis-read that as something along the lines of CBS and Dan Patrick are going to tag-team Katie Couric.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #48
Ksyrup

How about Dan and Bob Schieffer tag-teaming her? Maybe that would get some ratings.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:29 AM   #49
jbmagic
Pro Starter

They should consider Wink Martindale.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 09:45 AM   #50
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
The one A-lister, Rosie O’Donnell, has already pulled herself out of contention.

You keep using this word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote