Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2007, 04:27 PM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quick: BBQing a good steak?

Hopefully someone can give me quick advice... what are some key tips in BBQing a good steak?

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:45 PM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Following Omaha Steak's grilling guide is the best way to go...
http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/O...cipe_cookchart

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Following Omaha Steak's grilling guide is the best way to go...
http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/O...cipe_cookchart

/tk

Thanks. Off to BBQ I go!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Mmmm steaks. i gotta get me a filet log to make steaks from soon
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #5
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Make sure your grill is good and hot when you put the steak on, you should hear it sizzle.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

and oil it up before you throw em on. one of those spray can of veggie oil should work
Old 06-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

and whatever you do, dont put lighterfluid on after youve started the fire!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
CraigSca
Pro Starter

let the meat rest 5-10 mins after taking it off the grill
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Show the cow a picture of a campfire. Then dig in!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
let the meat rest 5-10 mins after taking it off the grill

This is a very good point.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 06:14 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
There are a couple of related points here. The reason you let the steak rest for a few minutes after taking it off of the grill is that it will continue to cook internally for a little while after removing from the fire. Cutting in too soon will cause the steak to dry out as you eat it. The same principle applies while cooking. Only use tongs to turn it, don't stab it with a fork and flip. That keeps the juices inside and cooking.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:30 AM   #12
JeeberD
General Manager

Heh, I just happened to grill up some steaks last night, and they were fabulous. I tweaked my technique just a bit, and they came out even better than they usually do. Ain't nothing like a juicy, tender, mesquite smoked steak.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:29 AM   #13
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

The main difference between grilling and BBQing is that BBQing uses indirect heat and grilling uses direct heat. I'd guess that you grilled your steaks.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:53 AM   #14
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

If the steak has a lot of fat on the edges, hold it with the tongs and sear the edges before you throw it on. This will keep the juice from running out.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:28 AM   #15
moriarty
College Starter

I bought a new grill with a "searing" burner (basically a superhot burner) and boy does that make a difference. Sears in the juices and makes for a great steak.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:52 PM   #16
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
I bought a new grill with a "searing" burner (basically a superhot burner) and boy does that make a difference. Sears in the juices and makes for a great steak.

Are you talking about an infrared burner? I was going to ask if anyone had used one of these. I’m in the market for a new grill, and they seem to be all the rage now. So how do you use these? Do you sear it for a few minutes on each side and then finish the cooking over the gas flame?
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
Are you talking about an infrared burner? I was going to ask if anyone had used one of these. I’m in the market for a new grill, and they seem to be all the rage now. So how do you use these? Do you sear it for a few minutes on each side and then finish the cooking over the gas flame?

Yes, that's what I meant. Here's what I do (although the grill didn't come w/ any instructions for it, so maybe someone smarter will correct me):

Wait until the infrared burner gets hot (grill temp shows 500F, but I'm sure the burner is much hotter). Place the raw steaks on the burner, 60 sec. per side. Basically it rapidly heats up the outside (to seal in the juices, but doesn't burn/overcook the meat inside).

After a minute per side, I throw it on the regular burners and cook as per usual.

When you cut into the steak after completion, the juices just flow out. Nice!
Old 06-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #18
JediKooter
Coordinator

Two words: Ruth's Chris.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #19
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Two words: Ruth's Chris.

One word: Pricey.

I always preferred Morton's to Ruth's ... don't know why though. Edit: actually Capital Grille I prefer to both.

Last edited by moriarty : 06-11-2007 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 06:45 PM   #20
cartman
Death Herald

Ruth's Chris uses the infrared burners. Theirs are around 1500 degrees or so, for a quick and thorough sear to keep all of the juices in.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:15 PM   #21
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moriarty View Post
One word: Pricey.

I always preferred Morton's to Ruth's ... don't know why though. Edit: actually Capital Grille I prefer to both.

Yes, it is pricey, but, that is one place I do not mind paying for it. Never had a bad meal there and service has always been beyond top notch. Never been to a Morton's before, so I can't compare. Been to Smith & Wolinskis' (sp?) and was not impressed at all compared to Ruth's Chris.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 06-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #22
MikeVic
Head Coach

I bought my BBQ, and after trying it out with a couple burgers (yum), I want to try steaks on it. I thought this thread mentioned something about properly cooking steak, something about smoking...? But I don't see anything here about it... does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #23
Dutch
"Dutch"

The key to good steaks are make sure they properly grilled AND simplicity when it comes to dressing them up. I concur with the following instructions.

Beef Recipes - Steak Recipes - Roast Recipes - Lobel's of New York

Grilling – Outdoor
  1. Steaks should always be at room temperature before they are cooked. Remove your steaks from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
  2. Preheat grill to maximum temperature.
  3. Rub both sides of the steaks with coarse kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
  4. Place the steaks 3 to 5 inches from the flame to sear the outside and seal in the juices.
  5. Sear the steaks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
  6. After the steaks have been seared on both sides, remove from heat, and brush both sides with extra virgin olive oil. This will help form the crust that adds the touch of perfection.
  7. Return the steaks to heat and cook on both sides to a desired doneness using the timing suggestions in the chart below. If using a gas grill, reduce the heat to moderately hot to hot. Or, use indirect cooking for gas, charcoal, or wood-fired grills and move the steaks to the warm side of the grill.
  8. Transfer the steaks to dinner plates or a platter and let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Desired Doneness Approximate Cooking Time
Rare (120-130°F) 2 minutes each side
Medium Rare (130-140°F) 3 minutes each side
Medium (140-150°F) 4 minutes each side
Medium Well (150-160°F) 5 minutes each side

Last edited by Dutch : 06-14-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:14 PM   #24
Dutch
"Dutch"

Oh, and I found out which method I like from lots of experimentation. The key to enjoying the art of grilling is trying LOTS of different methods and marinades.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:31 PM   #25
Philliesfan980
Banned

To me, grilling a steak is very very simple. Take the steak out of the fridge, let sit until it gets to room temp (30 min - 1 hour). Set the grill to high on all burners, for about 10 - 15 minutes. If you have to, over preheat the grill. I can't stress how important it is to have a very hot grill to put your steaks on. Nothing will ruin a steak like putting it on a lukewarm grill.

Kosher Salt, and Pepper are my only seasonings. A lot of people oil their food, but I actually oil the grill using tongs and a crumpled up paper towel. Grill on high (as high as you can get it) for about 3-4 minutes a side, depending on the thickness. I agree with everyone on this thread who says to let the steaks sit for 5-10 minutes after taking them on the grill. While this will cause the steaks not to be "piping hot" when eating, they'll still be plenty warm. You'll be rewarded for your patience.

And whatever you do, don't cook it past med-rare. If you have a problem with this, just buy burgers.

Last edited by Philliesfan980 : 06-14-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #26
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
To me, grilling a steak is very very simple. Take the steak out of the fridge, let sit until it gets to room temp (30 min - 1 hour). Set the grill to high on all burners, for about 10 - 15 minutes. If you have to, over preheat the grill. I can't stress how important it is to have a very hot grill to put your steaks on. Nothing will ruin a steak like putting it on a lukewarm grill.

Kosher Salt, and Pepper are my only seasonings. A lot of people oil their food, but I actually oil the grill using tongs and a crumpled up paper towel. Grill on high (as high as you can get it) for about 3-4 minutes a side, depending on the thickness. I agree with everyone on this thread who says to let the steaks sit for 5-10 minutes after taking them on the grill. While this will cause the steaks not to be "piping hot" when eating, they'll still be plenty warm. You'll be rewarded for your patience.

And whatever you do, don't cook it past med-rare. If you have a problem with this, just buy burgers.

Exactly. Good man.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:29 AM   #27
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I want to try these steaks so bad. Anyone had em at home or at a restaurant?

Heartbrand Beef
Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #28
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
The key to good steaks are make sure they properly grilled AND simplicity when it comes to dressing them up. I concur with the following instructions.

Beef Recipes - Steak Recipes - Roast Recipes - Lobel's of New York

Grilling – Outdoor
  1. Steaks should always be at room temperature before they are cooked. Remove your steaks from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before cooking. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
  2. Preheat grill to maximum temperature.
  3. Rub both sides of the steaks with coarse kosher or sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
  4. Place the steaks 3 to 5 inches from the flame to sear the outside and seal in the juices.
  5. Sear the steaks for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
  6. After the steaks have been seared on both sides, remove from heat, and brush both sides with extra virgin olive oil. This will help form the crust that adds the touch of perfection.
  7. Return the steaks to heat and cook on both sides to a desired doneness using the timing suggestions in the chart below. If using a gas grill, reduce the heat to moderately hot to hot. Or, use indirect cooking for gas, charcoal, or wood-fired grills and move the steaks to the warm side of the grill.
  8. Transfer the steaks to dinner plates or a platter and let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Desired Doneness Approximate Cooking Time
Rare (120-130°F) 2 minutes each side
Medium Rare (130-140°F) 3 minutes each side
Medium (140-150°F) 4 minutes each side
Medium Well (150-160°F) 5 minutes each side

2-3 minutes per side on searing heat?...its burnt by then just feed it to the dog.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #29
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
2-3 minutes per side on searing heat?...its burnt by then just feed it to the dog.

It really depends on your grill. If you have one that is prone to uncontrolled flare-up's, then you're probably right.

I have a Weber, and it really manages high heat situations very well. Very rarely do I burn anything.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #30
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

I think they're covering all bases by putting a range in there. You'll note they also say 3-5 inches from the heat, and bear in mind they have to account for different grill strengths. Also, there's the question of the thickness of the steaks. In the end, some level of experience is still needed.

For the rank amateur, my advice is (once the steak is at room temperature and seasoned with salt & pepper) to sear at highest heat for 2 minutes a side, then stick an instant read thermometer in there and see where the temperature is at. If necessary, return the steak to the grill at medium heat ("warm" zone on charcoal) and continue to check every 2 minutes until it's reached 5 degrees below the temp you want it at (it'll get those last 5 degrees while "resting" for 10-15 minutes off the grill).

Once you've done this a few times you'll get comfortable enough to decide by touch/timing/whatever when your steak is done correctly.

Just remember - never check doneness by cutting into the steak (you'll lose a ton of juices).
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #31
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

dola - just as an example, I've had inch-thick ribeyes I cooked on my charcoal grill (Weber) that were done (medium rare) after only 3 minutes a side. And done perfectly. A lot of people wouldn't consider that possible on a charcoal grill, with those steaks.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #32
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I want to try these steaks so bad. Anyone had em at home or at a restaurant?

Heartbrand Beef

There is nothing those steaks can do or offer to account for those prices. Thats the stupidest thing I've ever read. The Filets I bought for 5 bucks a pound are just as tasty as any other.

10 bucks an oz for steak? sure, if you have more money than brains and everyone within your sphere of influence is a fucking moron.

Good god man.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:24 AM   #33
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
There is nothing those steaks can do or offer to account for those prices. Thats the stupidest thing I've ever read. The Filets I bought for 5 bucks a pound are just as tasty as any other.

10 bucks an oz for steak? sure, if you have more money than brains and everyone within your sphere of influence is a fucking moron.

Good god man.

It is high, but the Kobe Steaks I have had can not be compared to "normal" beef. There is just something different about a 10 year old cow that has matured slowly.....I am sure that marbilized fat is an artery clogger....but damn its good.

To my previous comment, I eat RARE steaks only...and I will disagree with any cooking guide that says 3 minutes seared per side. My normal grill time is 1min first side and 45 seconds on the 2nd. And Im sure I am the exception but I prefer mine as soon as it comes off the grill as well..
Old 06-15-2009, 10:34 AM   #34
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

If you're going for super-rare there may be something to the idea of eating it sooner without "resting", but for a steak even a little more cooked I guarantee you it tastes better after "resting".
Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #35
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Good god man.

So, what you're saying is that you've never had them, and thus have nothing of substance, but rather just your usual vitriol to add? Good. Moving right ahead.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:16 PM   #36
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
So, what you're saying is that you've never had them, and thus have nothing of substance, but rather just your usual vitriol to add? Good. Moving right ahead.

Karl, no matter your assinine insults my point remains perfectly valid. There is not enough difference in BEEF from any cow to the next to validate that type of cost gouging. They're marketing to the idiot masses who aren't bright enough to realize Beef is beef and spending a large chunk of your paycheck on a single meal doesn't mean it tastes any better or makes you any more spe-eh-cial.

If you are in that group, thats not MY problem =)
Old 06-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #37
Schmidty
Coordinator

Three things:

1. Every man (me included) thinks he is the greatest griller in the world.

2. Charcoal is the only way to have a truly great steak.

3. Anything beyond medium-rare, and you've destroyed your steak.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #38
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Three things:

2. Charcoal is the only way to have a truly great steak.

3. Anything beyond medium-rare, and you've destroyed your steak.

1 and 2 are correct, but frankly, the source of your fire si relatively useless unless you're taking the time to actually smoke your meat *multiple hours of low heat enclosed smoker type thing*

grilling steaks requires flame, charcoal is not the only source of flame and is, most times a simple waste of extra time when you could be eating =)
Old 06-15-2009, 02:30 PM   #39
Schmidty
Coordinator

Sorry Render, charcoal actually does impart a flavor. It's not just a simple heat source. Sometimes I even add hickory or something to the coals.

"Taste the meat, not the heat" is the only thing Mr. Hank Hill got wrong.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #40
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Karl, no matter your assinine insults my point remains perfectly valid. There is not enough difference in BEEF from any cow to the next to validate that type of cost gouging. They're marketing to the idiot masses who aren't bright enough to realize Beef is beef and spending a large chunk of your paycheck on a single meal doesn't mean it tastes any better or makes you any more spe-eh-cial.

Ok, so you're saying a steak from Denny's and a steak from Ruth's Chris are comparable?
Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #41
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

I can't speak for that beef in particular, but I will say that I do think there are different pieces of beef that are worth different prices. Kobe/Waygu being an obvious example, but even above that if we're talking aged steaks sometimes the extra price is justified.

It's not an exact science, though, but I compare it to wine. In general a more expensive cut of meat will, like a more expensive bottle of wine, be better, more nuanced, more complex, etc..., but not always, and at some point one has to wonder if small gradations are really worth hundreds of dollars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

Not me. Steven Raichlen is the greatest griller in the world.

Quote:
charcoal is not the only source of flame and is, most times a simple waste of extra time when you could be eating

A "simple waste of extra time" to you is "one or two beers" to me.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:52 PM   #42
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok, so you're saying a steak from Denny's and a steak from Ruth's Chris are comparable?

BLASPHEMY!!!

Last edited by JediKooter : 06-15-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #43
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Well to be fair, it does take about an equally disproportionate amount of time to "make" Kobe beef as it does regular run of the mill steaks.
Then again, its all just protein...why pay for a ribeye when a hamburger is the same thing, or heck just go straight to spam
You do realize they have as much in common right?
Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 PM   #44
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:

If you took the two pieces of beef BEFORE they get cooked and had the same chef cook them? They'd be pretty damn close to the same steak (assuming the same cut and style of steak)

I'm not saying there aren't better or worse quality meats out there, but that marketing BS link you posted is trying to sell me a piece of meat for 10 dollars and OUNCE karl. There is never and will never be enough difference in beef to account for that much of a price difference (I bought a beef tenderloin and had it cut to order for 5 bucks per POUND tenderloin is tenderloin, other than sheer size and mass there isn't a LOT of difference in the taste or texture of different cow's meat). They're scamming people with pretty words and fluffed up pictures of BEEF.

and the sad part is there are people who actually buy it.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:39 PM   #45
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Well to be fair, it does take about an equally disproportionate amount of time to "make" Kobe beef as it does regular run of the mill steaks.
Then again, its all just protein...why pay for a ribeye when a hamburger is the same thing, or heck just go straight to spam
You do realize they have as much in common right?

See you generally keep throwing out really stupid comparisons like this. nothing you just said has any validity at all.

Steak and hamburger are not the same, yes they are beef, but they aren't both steaks, that makes a difference in how it cooks and tastes. Tossing spam into this which isn't beef at all (or not entirely so) which is also processed canned and seasoned, is just plain ignorant. Please, if yer gonna post at least have a clue.

Aging beef adds nuances, sure, but is that nuance worth 80 bucks for 8oz of beef? is it worth 20 bucks a pound? I dunno, its a personal choice. But when you sit the two side by side and try them I'm gonna make a guess that most people aren't gonna tell you which is which if they aren;t told ahead of time, they might PREFER one to the other, but could they say "THATS the kobe beef, I'd pay ANYTHING for that."

Probably not gonna happen.

The link Karl posted offered steaks you can buy at any grocery store, whatever they choose to do to make them "special" and sell them for 10 bucksw an OUNCE simply isn;t going to change the flavor THAT much. There is only so much aging or coddling of the beef/cows/process in creating those steaks that will ACTUALLY change the flavor and it certainly isn't worth a 1000% increase in price.

My argument is the price is hilariously stupid and anyone paying that much for something they can get for far less is equally stupid.

YMMV
Old 06-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #46
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Ok, so, let's say I'm a COMPLETE MORON WHO DESERVES TO BE ROBBED BLIND!!!!!!!

What I'm wondering is "Has anyone here had it, and how does it taste?"
Old 06-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #47
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I believe that if you think it tastes good and you have the money, go ahead and have that $80 steak.

If I saw my family eating this, all i would be thinking about is that they are eating a car payment

= $320
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #48
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Ok, so, let's say I'm a COMPLETE MORON WHO DESERVES TO BE ROBBED BLIND!!!!!!!

What I'm wondering is "Has anyone here had it, and how does it taste?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom1979 View Post
I believe that if you think it tastes good and you have the money, go ahead and have that $80 steak.

If I saw my family eating this, all i would be thinking about is that they are eating a car payment

= $320

DING!
Old 06-16-2009, 03:51 AM   #49
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
DING!

You're right. You've changed my mind. I'm no longer curious about the steaks. Thanks for being right, and, more importantly, thanks for just being you.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:10 AM   #50
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
See you generally keep throwing out really stupid comparisons like this. nothing you just said has any validity at all.

Steak and hamburger are not the same, yes they are beef, but they aren't both steaks, that makes a difference in how it cooks and tastes. Tossing spam into this which isn't beef at all (or not entirely so) which is also processed canned and seasoned, is just plain ignorant. Please, if yer gonna post at least have a clue.

Aging beef adds nuances, sure, but is that nuance worth 80 bucks for 8oz of beef? is it worth 20 bucks a pound? I dunno, its a personal choice. But when you sit the two side by side and try them I'm gonna make a guess that most people aren't gonna tell you which is which if they aren;t told ahead of time, they might PREFER one to the other, but could they say "THATS the kobe beef, I'd pay ANYTHING for that."

Probably not gonna happen.

The link Karl posted offered steaks you can buy at any grocery store, whatever they choose to do to make them "special" and sell them for 10 bucksw an OUNCE simply isn;t going to change the flavor THAT much. There is only so much aging or coddling of the beef/cows/process in creating those steaks that will ACTUALLY change the flavor and it certainly isn't worth a 1000% increase in price.

My argument is the price is hilariously stupid and anyone paying that much for something they can get for far less is equally stupid.

YMMV

Ok, let me break my argument down slowly for you.
True Kobe beef comes from a single breed of cow, I assume this is known.

There are dozens of specific tactics employed in raising said cow, which you can search for and read about yourself but they are designed to reduce animal stress and perfect the meat. Do they work, I am not sure.

"Steak" served at most restaraunts or found in most grocers freezer come from any of more than 10 different breeds of cattle.

The average American beef cows life span is 2 years. Kobe cows on average are a full year older. As a result there is less rush to pack on pounds through whatever means and meals necessary. If you do not believe you can taste a difference based on an animal's diet, I can not help you. but as someone who has hunted and eaten wild game my entire life I can tell you 100% I can tell what an animals diet consisted of by the flavor off its meat.

Finally and this is a huge deal they are slaughtered in a very low stress way (surprise!) This is important because the rush of adrenaline throughout an animals body will significantly impact the flavor of the meat.

Most steaks you buy today have little to no fat on them. The fat is where the flavor comes from. It is why pork products for the most part have a very strong flavor while so many wild games are simply labeled "tastes like chicken"

All that said.
Do I wish kobe steaks were cheaper?
Yes.
Am I willing to pay the current prices for the difference in quality? Absolutely OCCASIONALLY

Regardless of how produce the flavor, I would wager that you could put 20 steaks in front of me, and 100% of the time I could pick the kobe steak out by appearance alone. Furtheermore you could blind fold me and I could identify it by taste alone.

They are night and day different.
I will not decide whether they are "worth" the cost difference to you, but they are to me.
BTW the only local place I know of that serves Kobe, is $129 for the dinner which includes salad and fresh seasonal vegetables. They charge $69 for the same size filet, so 1000% is not acccurate for me. No I would not pay $690 for the steak.

But instead I love how you choose to tell me and others the quality of something you have never tried.

I will standd by my comparisson that kobe compares to "average" steak about as well as that steak ccompares to hamburger or spam.

You keep on imagining what it tastes like and comment on your imagination.