Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
DanGarion
Coordinator

Lakers a "Mess" Kobe wants a trade!

Yes! It's about time, the Lakers can get back to normal!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Quote:
Bryant asks for trade from Lakers
By JOHN NADEL, AP Sports Writer
May 30, 2007

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Kobe Bryant asked to be traded from the Lakers on Wednesday, a day after calling the team's front office "a mess."

"I would like to be traded, yeah," Bryant told ESPN radio. "Tough as it is to come to that conclusion there's no other alternative, you know?"

Bryant, who helped the team win three consecutive NBA championships, has four years remaining on the seven-year, $136.4 million contract he signed July 15, 2004. That was a day after Shaquille O'Neal was traded to the Miami Heat.

Bryant became infuriated Tuesday when a Los Angeles Times columnist quoted what he called a Lakers insider as saying it was Bryant's insistence on getting away from O'Neal that prompted the trade to Miami.

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:40 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

the C's will take him. put together a goddamm package Danny!!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
the C's will take him. put together a goddamm package Danny!!

DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Perk...Ratliff's contract...wally scerbziak (damm spelling)...and the pick.

see how the team can roll with Jefferson/Kobe/Pierce

and obviously i have no idea of the $$ necessary. balance that however. bottom line is i think anyone except Jefferson + Pierce ought to be available to be used in the trade. I'd rather not trade the pick, but I suspect you'd have to in order to get Kobe.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-30-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Interesting. He has a lot of detractors, and he is getting a bit up in age. But he is still the best player in the league not named Tim Duncan.

Any middlin' team would be foolish to not try to come up with a package for him. He'll be crazy motivated to win with his new team.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #6
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Szerbiak, Allen, #5, Ainge, Rivers, Bird's old locker, Dunkin Donuts, Mennino, Aerosmith, the Hatch, and rights to Brady's sperm?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

You know nothing is easy with Kobe

Bryant has a no trade clause which means he must agree to waive this for any trade to happen.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:51 PM   #8
bhlloy
Coordinator

How about Roy & Randolph for Kobe and the Blazers try to win sooner rather than later with him and Oden?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:52 PM   #9
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Kobe is at 19mil next season.

Theo, Gomes, Telfair and the pick just about works.

So does Wally, Green, West and the pick.

Basically it's doable salary wise. Talent wise I'm not sure.

I'd say Green, West, Theo, #5 this year and next year's first rounder might be in the ballpark.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #10
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Szerbiak, Allen, #5, Ainge, Rivers, Bird's old locker, Dunkin Donuts, Mennino, Aerosmith, the Hatch, and rights to Brady's sperm?

in all seriousness, if all it took was the first 3 things you mentioned, i'd be perfectly happy with the deal
Old 05-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #11
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Kobe is at 19mil next season.

Theo, Gomes, Telfair and the pick just about works.

So does Wally, Green, West and the pick.

Basically it's doable salary wise. Talent wise I'm not sure.

I'd say Green, West, Theo, #5 this year and next year's first rounder might be in the ballpark.

works for me
Old 05-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #12
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno if he wants to go home again, but the Sixers have 3 first round picks that I'm sure they'd part with. Andre Miller would be the best PG Kobe's ever had. And assuming they don't include Iguadala, which, honestly in "superstar" type trades you don't give close to fair value, the Sixers will have a nice team next year. I think they significantly lack the salary to get a move done.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
works for me

I like this scenario as well:

Jason Kidd for Wally, Gerald, Dwest, 2008 unprotected #1

Jermaine O'Neal for Theo, Gomes, Bassy, #5

PG: Kidd, Rondo
SG: Tony Allen, Allan Ray
SF: Pierce,
PF: Al, Scal, Powe
C: Jermaine, Perk

Come on Danny, put a g-damn package together!
Old 05-30-2007, 12:59 PM   #14
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
How about Roy & Randolph for Kobe and the Blazers try to win sooner rather than later with him and Oden?

This was the first thing I thought of as well - Kobe with Oden, Aldridge, Jack and maybe a FA signing like Rashard Lewis - that would be a formidable team there. I also think it would be fun if they traded him to Denver for AI. Could you imagine Kobe and Melo out there together. There might actually be a wrestling match for the ball every time it gets up the floor.

But I don't get why he wants to be traded. Because a Lakers insider said it was his fault they traded Shaq? After everything that people have said about him THAT is the straw that breaks the camel's back? Like suggesting he was the cause for them trading Shaq is so outrageous and untrue. To me this looks more like "hey maybe that Shaq guy did have something to do with us winning" and he realizes that Andrew Bynum isn't exactly the next Shaq and that one Kobe is not better than 5 opposing players. I say trade him to Atlanta for the #3, Joe Johnson and whatever else they can get and watch him revel in basketball mediocrity for another couple of years.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:00 PM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Kobe for Magette, Livingston, Cassell, the minnesota pick owed to the clippers, and the clippers #1's in this draft, and the one 2 years from now.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #16
rkmsuf
Head Coach

If I were Kobe I'd want to be traded too. That team has very little talent or hope for talent outside of Bryant. Guy has to pump 50 in a night just for them to be competitive at all.

Come on Danny, put together a g-damn package!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #17
spleen1015
Coordinator

No way he gets traded. By the end of the week or next week he'll be apologizing to the Lakers and everything will be back to normal.

He just doesn't like the fact that he's not getting any press in June.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #18
Ufer
n00b

Anytime one team trades a package of non-superstar talent for a superstar, the team that gets the superstar wins. Plus Kobe sells tickets. Almost every single team in the league should be putting a package together. As a Laker fan, I'm even more pissed at Laker management. Even if it was true that Kobe forced out Shaq (questionable), never never never publicly embarrass your players, esp not your superstar. Trying to cover their own asses. Jerry Buss has to push out his son and get back involved.

One thing most people don't realize: Jerry Buss is one of the poorest owners in the league.
Ufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:07 PM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Why would he want to play for the Celtics though? There's no hope in that franchise either.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:10 PM   #20
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Why would he want to play for the Celtics though? There's no hope in that franchise either.

Way more hope with Pierce/Kobe/Jefferson in the weak Eastern Conference. The Lakers have no hope with the lineup in the West.

Meh, he probably wouldn't want to go to Boston though. You just had to ruin this for me.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:15 PM   #21
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ufer View Post
As a Laker fan, I'm even more pissed at Laker management. Even if it was true that Kobe forced out Shaq (questionable)
According to Shaq yesterday he agrees that Kobe didn't force him out. The Buss's were getting rid of him either way. That's another part of what has him so pissed off. This "Laker Insider" has totally thrown him under this buss. The word is that the insider may very well be Jim Buss himself.

Kobe is right though that the front office is a complete mess. No talent has been brought in around him. There really is no tradeable commidities aside from Bynum and Jimmy Buss has a love affair with him so he's not going anywhere. Jim Buss is a freakin horse trainer. Why he seems to have more say in personnel decisions is beyond me.

If the Lakers trade Kobe they are going to suck for a long time.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:19 PM   #22
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by heybrad View Post

If the Lakers trade Kobe they are going to suck for a long time.

They suck now though. You could argue that keeping him prolongs mediocrity then triggers rebuilding. Why not just rebuild now?

It's the same question the Celtics face. Keeping Pierce is just about useless. It ensures 35 wins and prolonged mediocrity. I'm for trading Pierce and going super young.

- unless they can deal for kobe or oneil and kidd of course.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 05-30-2007 at 01:24 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:21 PM   #23
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The only hope I have as a Celtics fan is that this is the team that traded Caron Butler for Kwame Brown.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:23 PM   #24
Ufer
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Gorski View Post
But I don't get why he wants to be traded. Because a Lakers insider said it was his fault they traded Shaq? After everything that people have said about him THAT is the straw that breaks the camel's back? Like suggesting he was the cause for them trading Shaq is so outrageous and untrue. To me this looks more like "hey maybe that Shaq guy did have something to do with us winning" and he realizes that Andrew Bynum isn't exactly the next Shaq and that one Kobe is not better than 5 opposing players. I say trade him to Atlanta for the #3, Joe Johnson and whatever else they can get and watch him revel in basketball mediocrity for another couple of years.

Hate on Kobe all you want but to answer your question, you have to put yourself in his place. He's extremely competitive and works his ass off. Contrary to what many say, he always wants to win and winning rings early in his career has set the bar higher for him. Laker management has done a crappy job, at best, putting a team around him. They refuse to trade their 20 year old project for a current star player -- Bynum is untouchable, are you kidding me? Not wanting to show up at training camp with another team he has to carry to 45 wins, he pushes them to make changes. How do they respond? They publicly criticize their HOF coach and then leak a story blaming Kobe for Shaq's departure. When I heard that story, I said "shit, Kobe's gonna be so pissed."

Have you noticed that Shaq publicly says angry things about Jerry Buss and Phil but avoids the Kobe issue. Starting with his last Laker training camp, Shaq was angry at Jerry Buss for not giving him a new mega-contract. Whatever Kobe did behind the scenes, Jerry Buss did not fight for Shaq or try to make it work out -- he did not want to pay $30m+ to an aging player and could not afford it.
Ufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:24 PM   #25
SFL Cat
College Starter

Send him to the Heat...Shaq and Kobe, together again
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:28 PM   #26
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
They suck now though. You could argue that keeping him prolongs mediocrity then triggers rebuilding. Why not just rebuild now?

It's the same question the Celtics face. Keeping Pierce is just about useless. It ensures 35 wins and prolonged mediocrity. I'm for trading Pierce and going super young.
True, but they could improve fairly quickly if they were willing to deal Bynum. The stupidity of waiting on Bynum is that Kobe we'll be well into mid thirties by the time Bynum MIGHT be able to make an impact. If that's the Lakers plan, then yes, they might as well trade Kobe.

It just seems that teams trading superstars don't do very well and this will be 2nd superstar dumped in the last four years. Maybe I'm wrong. The only situation I can think of might be Gretzky getting traded and the Oilers still winning the cup, but that's another sport and the Oilers were loaded with talent.

Basketball is really the main sport that I get into (watching, not playing). I'm pushing 40 in a couple of years. It's not too much of a stretch to say that I'll never see another Laker title in my lifetime. They need to take that into consideration and do something pronto!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:49 PM   #27
Jas_lov
College Starter

Quote:

I think he would go there if he thought they had a realistic shot to win a title. Lebron James might get through the Eastern Conference with a mediocre supporting cast so why couldn't Kobe do the same? The elite in the East like the Pistons, Cavs, Heat, and Bulls are much worse than the Spurs, Suns, Mavericks, and Jazz out west. I just don't think the Lakers would be willing to part with one of the best players unless they get top of the line talent in return, and who can give that up in the East because the Lakers certainly won't trade him to a western conference team. Chicago is a team that has the young talent to trade, but I think they'd be fools to break it up now. Boston would have to give up their #5, at least 2 young players, and a veteran to balance out the contracts, but would that really be enough for the Lakers to trade away 2 sure fire hall of famers in a span of 5 years? And Kobe is still in his prime while Shaq was not.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #28
rkmsuf
Head Coach

the Bulls don't have enough salary to trade unless they either

trade Hinrich and Gordon

or

trade everyone else but Hinrich and Wallace.

seems like it would be tough for them to get him.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:04 PM   #29
Anthony
Banned

he is NOT going to the Celtics. he wants out of LA cuz they aren't elite. why would he trade a upper tier team like LA for a team struggling to make the playoffs in the East? he would be going to the Pistons or Bulls if he comes to the East, which is very unlikely.

he'll probably wind up in Dallas or Phoenix, those 2 teams have the right mix of solid role players that could be packaged together to make it worthwhile for the Lakers. if i were the Lakers i wouldn't move him - you will never get equal value for someone like him and he sells too many tickets. just let him play out his contract and milk him for all he's worth. the only way to stick it to these players is to not cave into their demands.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:13 PM   #30
rkmsuf
Head Coach

looks almost impossible for detroit to even come close to getting kobe unless they ship hamilton and prince out west.

don't see that one.

bulls - already commented on them

dallas - if they want to do dirk straight up maybe.

suns - yeah I'm sure la is real interested in sending him there.

it's probably 90% he stays in la and scores tons of points over the rest of his deal.

Last edited by rkmsuf : 05-30-2007 at 02:14 PM.
rkmsuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #31
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

A starting with Kobe, Paul Pierce, and 3 other breathing human beings would be a lock for at least the #3 seed in the East for the next 3-5 years.

If the Celts could actually find a way to deal for Kobe and put some talent around him and Pierce--that team could easily make the finals.

Pierce is the rare superstar who won't mind letting someone else be the alpha.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:16 PM   #32
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

one of green or allen, gomes, scerzbiak, #5 for Kobe
Old 05-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #33
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
A starting with Kobe, Paul Pierce, and 3 other breathing human beings would be a lock for at least the #3 seed in the East for the next 3-5 years.

If the Celts could actually find a way to deal for Kobe and put some talent around him and Pierce--that team could easily make the finals.

QFT. get it done Danny!

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 05-30-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:17 PM   #34
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
if i were the Lakers i wouldn't move him - you will never get equal value for someone like him and he sells too many tickets. just let him play out his contract and milk him for all he's worth. the only way to stick it to these players is to not cave into their demands.
That will show him. He has an opt out in 2 years, so they Lakers will be fighting for the 8 seed for 2 years and then Kobe is gone for nothing.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:18 PM   #35
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
OH DEAR GOD NO!
Old 05-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #36
Jas_lov
College Starter

Bulls trade Wallace, Gordon, and Deng for Kobe. Likely wouldn't happen as Kobe would end up in the same situation with no players around him and the Bulls won't break up their team unless Paxson is crazy.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:21 PM   #37
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
We always had a saying among my friends when hearing about trades or trading in fantasy sports where we'd eat glass before we'd make that trade. It later narrowed down to referring to them as glass eating trades.

That, my friend, is a glass eating trade.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:23 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Actually, the bulls could probably sign PJ Brown to a big three year deal(one of it guaranteed) since he made about 8-10 million last year, and trade him along with 3m, Gordon and Tyrus Thomas to the Lakers for Kobe. That'd still leave the Bulls with some good pieces, they'd be a bit short at the PF spot, but could likely make a separate trade for one, or just move Nocioni there full time.

Offhand

PG-Heinrich
SG-Kobe
SF-Deng
PF-Nocioni
C-Wallace

Bench
Sefalosha?
Scrubs
#9 pick.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:24 PM   #39
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We always had a saying among my friends when hearing about trades or trading in fantasy sports where we'd eat glass before we'd make that trade. It later narrowed down to referring to them as glass eating trades.

That, my friend, is a glass eating trade.

you saying from the laker's side? or the c's side.

it does look a little lopsided...but salary-wise to make things work i was just messing with the espn-trader...scerbziak+ratliff add up to $22 mil, and without including both of them, the C's options for who to include to get from 11 to 17 mil are pretty limited. so it's one or the other of them unless LA is going to throw in radmanovic to even it out.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #40
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
you saying from the laker's side? or the c's side.

it does look a little lopsided...but salary-wise to make things work i was just messing with the espn-trader...scerbziak+ratliff add up to $22 mil, and without including both of them, the C's options for who to include to get from 11 to 17 mil are pretty limited. so it's one or the other of them unless LA is going to throw in radmanovic to even it out.

Taking salary cap issues out of the equation... when you are suggesting crap in bulk, it's still crap.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #41
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Actually, the bulls could probably sign PJ Brown to a big three year deal(one of it guaranteed) since he made about 8-10 million last year, and trade him along with 3m, Gordon and Tyrus Thomas to the Lakers for Kobe. That'd still leave the Bulls with some good pieces, they'd be a bit short at the PF spot, but could likely make a separate trade for one, or just move Nocioni there full time.

Offhand

PG-Heinrich
SG-Kobe
SF-Deng
PF-Nocioni
C-Wallace

Bench
Sefalosha?
Scrubs
#9 pick.

that's a great deal for the Bulls. I guess from the Lakers side it depends on your opinion of Thomas. Gordon is serviceable but not all that good.

I guess Gordon would be easy to move if you are la.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:27 PM   #42
rkmsuf
Head Coach

they aren't taking Wally so get that right out of your head
Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
they aren't taking Wally so get that right out of your head

LOL

hey like i said, i was looking at it purely from a salary-standpoint. i freely admit i didn't watch a second of C's games last year...I knew Wally was injured a bunch of course, but I dunno how poorly he played all year.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:31 PM   #44
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
that's a great deal for the Bulls. I guess from the Lakers side it depends on your opinion of Thomas. Gordon is serviceable but not all that good.

I guess Gordon would be easy to move if you are la.

Gordon averaged 21ppg last year. That's a notch about "serviceable." If the lakers wanted Deng instead, then you do that trade also. I think Thomas will be pretty good so the Lakers would be getting about as good of value as you can expect.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #45
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Taking salary cap issues out of the equation... when you are suggesting crap in bulk, it's still crap.

LOL
Old 05-30-2007, 02:33 PM   #46
Atocep
Coordinator

PJ Brown has been talking about retirement and if he had his choice between retirement and rebuilding in LA, I think its pretty obvious which he'd choose.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #47
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
LOL

hey like i said, i was looking at it purely from a salary-standpoint. i freely admit i didn't watch a second of C's games last year...I knew Wally was injured a bunch of course, but I dunno how poorly he played all year.

Wally might be the worst player in the history of the league to make 11 million at year. And he has two more years left.

Like ridiculously bad out there.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #48
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wally might be the worst player in the history of the league to make 11 million at year. And he has two more years left.

Like ridiculously bad out there.

lol. another brilliant ainge-move hmm?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #49
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Gordon averaged 21ppg last year. That's a notch about "serviceable." If the lakers wanted Deng instead, then you do that trade also. I think Thomas will be pretty good so the Lakers would be getting about as good of value as you can expect.

Gordon doesn't play D, can't play the point, and is small as a NBA 2. He's perfect in the 6th man role, but you're pushing it if you ask for more.

The Bulls aren't going to move Deng. Won't happen. Not even to bring Kobe in. Remove Deng and I don't think they have the pieces to get Kobe, so I don't see a trade to Chicago happening.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 PM   #50
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
PJ Brown has been talking about retirement and if he had his choice between retirement and rebuilding in LA, I think its pretty obvious which he'd choose.

Yeah, but we're talking, "hey, you, wanna make 6-8m, for sitting on the bench one more year." I don't care if he wipes his ass with 100 dollar bills, that's still a good chunk o change.