Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-29-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

New cars feel sooo good.

Just saying.

Just turned 30 and this is the first time I (and my wife) have bought a brand spankin' new car. Four years ago we bought our Dodge Ram Van that was only 6 months old and only had 9,000 miles on it, but it was still used. With the van slowly going down hill through wear and tear (though still a good vehicle) and my wife driving a lot more as being a realtor has taken off some for her, we needed to get something.

We picked up the car on Saturday, actually signed the papers yesterday, and the wife will hand over the down payment today (I am on the road now).

It has been 4 cars and about 10 years since I have had a car I actually loved to drive (my beloved '63 Wilys Wagon). And now I feel much better leaving the wife with a car I don't have to worry about. Didn't think it would actually feel so good, but damn it does. I want this week to end so I can get home and drive the new car.....

Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #2
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Speak for yourself there, bub!

I still hate my new car and am still trying to find a lawyer.
Everyday I find something else about the car that just f'n sucks.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:40 AM   #3
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Ouch. I must have missed that story.

**Calls wife to make sure car is still running**
Old 05-29-2007, 11:42 AM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

congrats on the new car. I take it you found a new job and rebounded nicely from a few months back?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #5
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, somewhat. After a week of looking for a job similar to what I had lost, I had to fold tent on that and go with normal, straight truckin'. I didn't want to do team again so instead of going back to Emerson I signed up with a company out of the Dallas area.

It's not bad, but not great either. I get to stay in Texas most the time, and have been able to get home most weekends. I am not REAL happy, but money wise it's working out. Still looking for a way out (of trucking) in a year or so I hope, for now I will be happy to have health and dental insurance again though.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:51 AM   #6
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
our Dodge Ram Van that was only 6 months old and only had 9,000 miles on it

RIP
Crim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:01 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

Yeah, that sounds high....it may have been 7000, but it was up there still. On the other hand it was a customized van that was meant for traveling. It was clear to me that it had been owned by "Winter Texans" and that's why there was mileage on it. It was in perfect shape and was worth it, and we will have it for several more years I am sure.

Now, a bad buy is what my former co-driver did in September. He bought a 2 year old pickup that already had 76,000 miles on it. He admitted he didn't consider the mileage at all, only the 2 year old part. I talked to him a couple weeks ago and the truck is basically junk now. It's mean sounding, but I laugh at the guy, he was pretty stupid on that IMO.

My new car, had 20 miles on it. That was cool. I have never had that on a car.

Last edited by Cringer : 05-29-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Cringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #8
Butter
Coordinator

Just bought a 2007 Toyota Yaris myself. It does feel good to not worry about breaking down every day. I traded in my 1997 Toyota Corolla that had over 160k miles on it. It was a little sad to let go, but it sure is nice to drive a new car.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:04 PM   #9
Crim
College Benchwarmer

Cool. I agree, there really isn't anything quite like driving your new car the first few times. Sigh.

RIP
Old 05-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #10
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Didn't we previously establish somewhere that new cars are for suckers?

9,000 doesn't seem too high. I easily put 20K on a year.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
Crim
College Benchwarmer

LOL. I just read back over that whole exchange, and realize that I had read that somehow as 9000 miles in three months, and hence my use of three emoticons. 18000 a year isn't so excessive.

RIP
Old 05-29-2007, 12:21 PM   #12
Swaggs
Coordinator

What kind of car did you get?
Swaggs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #13
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post
LOL. I just read back over that whole exchange, and realize that I had read that somehow as 9000 miles in three months, and hence my use of three emoticons. 18000 a year isn't so excessive.

I was hoping my 22,000 a year wasn't THAT bad
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #14
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
I was hoping my 22,000 a year wasn't THAT bad

In the last year since I've started working I may have racked up over 50,000 miles.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:45 PM   #15
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
What kind of car did you get?

Chrysler 300.

And the wife has already started to put miles on it. She drives all over for her job.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #16
DanGarion
Coordinator

We just bought a new car on 5/21/07 a 2007 VW MKV Jetta 2.5L Wolfsburg Edition, I love it!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #17
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I almost bought a new (or new for me) car this weekend. I think I may have talked myself out of it though. If anyone can recommend a good sporty car that still has room for four, let me know. I almost got a 350Z, but then realized that it's only a coupe.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:43 PM   #18
Warhammer
Pro Starter

20k a year, that's nothing try 40k a year!
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:24 PM   #19
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I almost bought a new (or new for me) car this weekend. I think I may have talked myself out of it though. If anyone can recommend a good sporty car that still has room for four, let me know. I almost got a 350Z, but then realized that it's only a coupe.
What's your price range?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #20
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

On the cheap end, the Mazda 6 is a pretty fun drive - I went with the 3 because its just me, but the 6 seats 4 and is still cheap (under 20K) and "fun".
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 06:14 PM   #21
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Well it depends on your price range the VW Jetta I got is really sweet and it's around 20k. If you want a little more sporty you could do the Jetta GLI.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:26 PM   #22
SackAttack
Head Coach

So my truck just turned 9, and has just about 45k miles on it.

I think that croaking sound I heard was some of you 20k/year drivers having heart attacks.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 07:32 PM   #23
Flasch186
Coordinator

the real estate markets doing good for her? nice. congrats on the buy.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:05 PM   #24
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

If you like the 350Z, but want a sedan, check out the Infiniti G35 Sedan. It is pretty comprable to the 350Z (Infiniti is the upscale Nissan, like Lexus is to Toyota or Acura is to Honda). There is also an AWD package available, which could in handy where you live.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #25
TroyF
Coordinator

Recently got a big promotion. As part of it, I get a company car. (gas paid - woo hoo)

It's a Taurus with a bright yellow paint job. I think I blind 15% of all the people who look in my direction, but it's the best car I've ever owned.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:26 PM   #26
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
On the cheap end, the Mazda 6 is a pretty fun drive - I went with the 3 because its just me, but the 6 seats 4 and is still cheap (under 20K) and "fun".

NEVER BUY A MAZDA.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 PM   #27
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

TK, I love mine, but I know how you feel.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:31 PM   #28
Craptacular
College Starter

Despite TK's concerns, I still like Mazda. I have an '04 6 wagon, and for a sub-$20K car (and it being a wagon), it is nice to drive.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #29
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i still love my 06 mazda 3. no complaints whatsoever.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #30
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Chrysler 300.
Nice choice - those are easily one of the coolest cars on the road right now...
Old 05-29-2007, 10:49 PM   #31
Richard Weed
H.S. Freshman Team

We're trying to wait until Sep-Oct until the new Lexus ES 350s come out. We test drove both the ES 350 and the Camry last weekend and it was no contest even at $10k more. The ride is so much better, the service is excellent, and we were treated much, much better.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #32
Anthony
Banned

what's involved with test driving? do you just walk up to the dealership and say "i want to test drive this car" or do you leave your credit card behind or sign a waiver or something? there's one car i'm dying to test drive (even though i don't plan on getting it until next year when we have the money). i just want to see how it feels to drive it.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #33
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic View Post
what's involved with test driving? do you just walk up to the dealership and say "i want to test drive this car" or do you leave your credit card behind or sign a waiver or something? there's one car i'm dying to test drive (even though i don't plan on getting it until next year when we have the money). i just want to see how it feels to drive it.

When I sold cars, you could pretty much test drive anything without anything but presenting your license, except for the high end sportscars. We didn't let people test drive the sportscars, unless they were serious about buying, because folks don't like their expensive toys to have mileage on them when they buy them.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:23 PM   #34
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Have to love a new car. When I bought my Infiniti G35 a few months ago I think I was grinning for a few weeks straight.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:32 PM   #35
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Have to love a new car. When I bought my Infiniti G35 a few months ago I think I was grinning for a few weeks straight.

Congrats. I recommended the G35 to Cam above. What do you think of it so far?
Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 PM   #36
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Congrats. I recommended the G35 to Cam above. What do you think of it so far?

I really like it, it's got a good amount of room for four, and I love the power and handling of the car, it's very responsive. Even though I know they're just fluff features, I have to say I love the push button start and being able to open the doors with one touch. I had checked out the last couple of model years of G35s and really like what they did with the 2007, there are some great styling accents in the interior and the new body shape is really nice to look at.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #37
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Thanks for the tips. I really like the G35 from what I've seen. I might have to take one for a test drive.

Of course I REALLY like the 350Z... anybody want to take a couple of kids off my hands so I can realistically drive a coupe? :P
Old 05-30-2007, 02:09 PM   #38
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the tips. I really like the G35 from what I've seen. I might have to take one for a test drive.

Of course I REALLY like the 350Z... anybody want to take a couple of kids off my hands so I can realistically drive a coupe? :P
If you're looking in the G35 price range, you might also want to check out the Lexus IS series, the Acura TL (check out the Type-S variant), the Audi A4 (or S4 if you want the sportier variation), a BMW 3-series, a Volvo S60 (especially the R variant with 300 hp) or a Mercedes C-class. These are all sedans with sporty variations available in terms of engine and suspension options that will offer a very fun driving experience. The VW Passat is also an option in this category for a little bit less money than an Audi.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:02 PM   #39
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
When I sold cars, you could pretty much test drive anything without anything but presenting your license, except for the high end sportscars. We didn't let people test drive the sportscars, unless they were serious about buying, because folks don't like their expensive toys to have mileage on them when they buy them.

The wife and I just bought an '05 Honda CRV for her, and when we were doing our (multiple) test drives at different places, all they ever asked for was one of our drivers licenses to make a copy of...oh, and maybe a phone number as well.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:52 PM   #40
Pyser
Pro Rookie

i went test driving for fun a few times a few years ago...i think i was only 20 or so at the time. right when the xterra came out. all i needed then was a drivers license
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #41
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
If you're looking in the G35 price range, you might also want to check out the Lexus IS series, the Acura TL (check out the Type-S variant), the Audi A4 (or S4 if you want the sportier variation), a BMW 3-series, a Volvo S60 (especially the R variant with 300 hp) or a Mercedes C-class. These are all sedans with sporty variations available in terms of engine and suspension options that will offer a very fun driving experience. The VW Passat is also an option in this category for a little bit less money than an Audi.

I'll second the recommendation of the Acura TL. It is a little more roomy than the G35, so I'm not sure I'd classify it is a sports car--perhaps more of a luxury sedan. It is probably the car I would go witih if I were looking at a $30K-$40K range car.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:18 PM   #42
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'll second the recommendation of the Acura TL. It is a little more roomy than the G35, so I'm not sure I'd classify it is a sports car--perhaps more of a luxury sedan. It is probably the car I would go witih if I were looking at a $30K-$40K range car.
It's pretty sporty even at the base level, and very sporty in the Type-S version. Plus, Hondas/Acuras hold their value quite well. Two of my cousins currently own a family business auto-parts store, focusing on foreign auto parts. While they have traditionally been big supporters of German cars, they will tell you now that in general, Japanese cars are more reliable. One of them told me that even though he really likes Audi's, he would only own one that's under warranty.

As cars like the BMW M5 and Audi RS4 have shown, luxury sedans can be just as "sporty" (if not moreso) than "sports cars", if by "sporty" you mean speed, handling and acceleration.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #43
Anthony
Banned

the G35 doesn't have enough room in it. the 2 door version looks nice though, but the sedan version doesn't look all that much "special", at least not for something that costs more than $30K. it looks no different than an altima or maxima, it doesn't have any unique body characteristics about it that you could tell what car it is just by looking at it's profile. i'm sure it's a nice car, but at least the 2 door version has a "high end" look to it. if i'm spending $30K on anything i want people to notice it. you can easily not notice a G35 on the highway. i know nothing about how it handles though, i'm just going off of exteriors.
Old 05-30-2007, 08:38 PM   #44
Anthony
Banned

which looks more noticeable:

this:

OR

this:

yawn....without looking at the rear end to see it's an Infiniti, tell me this doesn't look like every other car you see on the road. there's nothing outstanding about it's exterior.

Last edited by Anthony : 05-30-2007 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:21 PM   #45
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Yeah, I'm not really considering the 4 door version of the G35.

Actually, I found myself looking at a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT convertible tonight. Question though: is that considered a chick car? I'd really like a convertible, but I'm finding a hard time finding one that seats four and doesn't look girlie.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:33 PM   #46
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I know you can get BMW 3-series (including the M3) in a convertible, as well as the Audi A4 (and S4). These are definitely not "girlie" cars. Not sure about how many of the other high-performance sedans have convertible options...
Old 05-30-2007, 09:50 PM   #47
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:

Actually, I found myself looking at a Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT convertible tonight. Question though: is that considered a chick car? I'd really like a convertible, but I'm finding a hard time finding one that seats four and doesn't look girlie.

My buddy used to have a Spyder. If your rear passengers have legs thicker than a toothpick, I would not recommend it. Also, Mitsubishi's do not hold their values real well, so I would factor that into consideration if you are only thinking of keeping it while your children are small.

The G35 has over 300 HP, which is pretty strong for a 6-cylinder. If you get the AWD version, I doubt that you will find many cars in its class that will handle much better.

You should check out the Acura TL if you want something spacious, but still sleek looking, that drives like a sportscar.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:41 AM   #48
Peregrine
Pro Starter

HA, at least make it a fair comparison, your picture showed the old style sedan, not the re-designed 2007 one. I love the G35 coupe, though. Here's my car, for what it's worth:

Old 05-31-2007, 09:23 AM   #49
Anthony
Banned

Quote:

I've only seen girls driving that car, so i would say "yes".
Old 05-31-2007, 09:25 AM   #50
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
HA, at least make it a fair comparison, your picture showed the old style sedan, not the re-designed 2007 one. I love the G35 coupe, though.

i was having a hard time finding decent pics of the G35 sedan. seems like the coupe version is more popular (and rightfully so).