Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2007, 02:48 PM   #1
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

OT: The FOFC Sports Moments Draft

How to play:
If you want to play, PM me. If there's a lot of interest, I'll randomly select ten players. By "randomly" I mean that after a day or so, I'll "randomly" pick whichever ten people I want.

The draft will be conducted via the forum, in this thread. The draft is a serpentine draft -- that the order reverses each round. Draft order will be determined before we start. When it's your turn to draft, you post, ideally with a brief note about the reason for your choice. If you won't be around, you PM someone else your picks in advance to keep things moving. If you slow us down, I may assign your team to someone else. Please do not ask to play if you are not able to check the forum frequently during the day.

Note: If you've previously wanted to participate in a draft but weren't picked, let me know. If you weren't in a draft but still were an active observer/commentator, definitely let me know. I won't promise you'll be picked but you'll have a better chance. If you were in a previous draft, that's fine, you're welcome to play again. If you were in a previous draft and held things up, didn't submit picks, etc., then don't bother applying, I have a feeling you won't be "randomly" picked.

How to win:
The fun here comes more from the draft itself than from actually winning, but just in case it matters: Once the draft is done, we'll hold a vote and let FOFC choose the winner. FOFC will pick someone shitty. They always do.

The rosters
You will draft a "team" of ten sports moments. The idea is to assemble the best possible roster, using your knowledge of sports as well as your crafty drafting skills. Trades are allowed, as long as they don't slow down the action (the idea is to keep things moving as quickly as possible).

Like past drafts, you will be filling your team with picks at ten "positions". However, the twist this year is that the positions will be fairly subjective. Basically, we're going to play a little word association.

You will picks ten sports moments that come to mind when you hear the ten terms below:

- Speed
- Power
- Controversy
- Drama
- Record-breaking
- Clutch
- Choke
- Emotion
- Upset
- Comeback

What is a "sports moment"

OK, this part is important, read carefully.

For the purpose of this draft, a "sports moment" is something that happens in the context of a sporting competition. It happens on the field of play, either during the game or immediately before/after. As a rule of thumb, if the fans can see it and it either impacts or is a reaction to the game being played, then it probably counts.

Examples: Babe Ruth being sold the Yankees doesn't count. Wayne Gretzky being traded doesn't count. Lou Gehrig's speech doesn't count (it happened between games of a double header).

A moment is just that -- a moment, a single play, a few seconds of something happening. It's not a whole game. It's not a cumulative combination of many things. It's a single moment. That moment might represent something bigger, and it's up to you to see how far you want to stretch this without risking the wrath of the voters.

Examples: Lance Armstrong winning seven straight Tour de France titles is not a moment; crossing the finish line at the last one could be. "The Drive" is not a moment, although Mark Jackson's touchdown could be. The Miracle on Ice is not a moment, but the final seconds could be.

There's some room for creativity here, both in the moments you choose and the positions you use them in. As always, the voters will decide how much room. More than a few people have had their drafts derailed by trying to get too clever. I know it's hard to Imagine, but it happens. You've been warned.

A few notes:
The draft is open to everyone -- observers are welcome. Discussion of picks is encouraged.

In general, it's considered very poor form to suggest picks during the draft -- the equivalent of being the guy who doesn't play poker but sits at the rail and shouts out to get attention. However, it will happen. If you're the sort of person who thinks you'd be really, really bothered by this, do yourself a favor and don't play.

A final note:
If the idea of doing a just-for-fun draft strikes as you as stupid and/or pathetic, but you're the type of person who likes to post about text sims on an internet forum... well, you may want to give this a miss until your sense of irony develops a little more.

If you want to play, PM me now. If I have enough entries by tomorrow, the draft will start then. In your PM, you must include your top three picks so that if you forget to check back we don't all have to wait for you (although your picks won't be used unless there's a delay). Don't forget to include both the moment and the position you're taking it in.

Draft order:
1 - Radii
2 - Schmidty
3 - Lathum
4 - sabotai
5 - Crapshoot
6 - tanglewood
7 - Maple Leafs
8 - digamma
9 - bsak16
10 - larrymcg421

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-15-2007 at 03:13 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:18 PM   #2
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
If you want to play, PM me now. If I have enough entries by tomorrow, the draft will start then. In your PM, you must include your top three picks so that if you forget to check back we don't all have to wait for you (although your picks won't be used unless there's a delay). Don't forget to include both the moment and the position you're taking it in.
Several entrants so far, but every single one has missed the bolded part above.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #3
Schmidty
Coordinator

I didn't miss that part.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:33 PM   #4
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

me neither. I learned my mistake from the music draft
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I didn't miss that part.
No, you missed this part:
Quote:
Lou Gehrig's speech doesn't count
Old 05-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #6
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I don't have time to do the draft, but I love the rules/warnings that have evolved for this process

Quote:
The draft is open to everyone -- observers are welcome. Discussion of picks is encouraged.

In general, it's considered very poor form to suggest picks during the draft -- the equivalent of being the guy who doesn't play poker but sits at the rail and shouts out to get attention. However, it will happen. If you're the sort of person who thinks you'd be really, really bothered by this, do yourself a favor and don't play.

A final note:
If the idea of doing a just-for-fun draft strikes as you as stupid and/or pathetic, but you're the type of person who likes to post about text sims on an internet forum... well, you may want to give this a miss until your sense of irony develops a little more.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-14-2007 at 03:36 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #7
Johnny93g
College Starter

I would play, but i dont think i would stand a chance. My moments would all be too canadian.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
No, you missed this part:

You are a dick. I hate you.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:36 PM   #9
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You are a dick. I hate you.

Is the draft officially started? Because if this is considered a sport, then that would be a moment, and I might play if I could draft that post.

Or your post that caused this one. Either way, I think it'd be a legitimate way to get ahead in this game.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #10
Schmidty
Coordinator

I can see your top 3 already:

1. Roger Smeegus wins the Tim Hortons Curling Cup in 1993

2. William "Whoopee" Arthurs is inducted into the Lacrosse Hall of Fame

3. Any time a Canadian hockey team wins anything

You win!!!
Old 05-14-2007, 05:51 PM   #11
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Several entrants so far, but every single one has missed the bolded part above.

sent PM, then finished reading the rules. DOH.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #12
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I can see your top 3 already:

1. Roger Smeegus wins the Tim Hortons Curling Cup in 1993

2. William "Whoopee" Arthurs is inducted into the Lacrosse Hall of Fame

3. Any time a Canadian hockey team wins anything

You win!!!

I'd say I can see your no 1: the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl..

Oh wait - you mean that didn't happen?
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 07:33 PM   #13
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
I'd say I can see your no 1: the Detroit Lions win the Super Bowl..
I should have specified -- the moment has to have actually happened already. So "Matt Millen beaten to death by torch-wielding mob" would not qualify.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:50 AM   #14
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Last call for entries.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:23 AM   #15
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I should have specified -- the moment has to have actually happened already. So "Matt Millen beaten to death by torch-wielding mob" would not qualify.

This thread reminds me why you are one of my favorite people
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #16
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Can somebody please go here and post a sequence from 1 - 10?
Old 05-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #17
st.cronin
General Manager

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #18
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Thanks.

Our draft order will be:
7 - Maple Leafs
3 - Lathum
5 - Crapshoot
10 - larrymcg421
9 - bsak16
6 - tanglewood
4 - sabotai
2 - Schmidty
1 - Radii
8 - digamma

In other words....

1 - Radii
2 - Schmidty
3 - Lathum
4 - sabotai
5 - Crapshoot
6 - tanglewood
7 - Maple Leafs
8 - digamma
9 - bsak16
10 - larrymcg421

When posting your pick, please be sure to post the category you are choosing the pick for. You can not go back and change your category later.

Use this format (or something similar for picks):
1.1 - Doug Gilmour scores on a double wraparound to beat the Blue in double OT in Game One of the 1992-93 division finals (clutch)

You are encouraged to post a paragraph or two describing your choice, it's significance, etc. You don't have to do this, but it probably will make the draft more enjoyable for everyone, especially as we get into moments that may not be as well known.

Please bold your picks so they stand out to anyone who is scanning the list (and don't bold anything else).

The draft begins now. Radii is on the clock.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:51 AM   #19
Radii
Head Coach

i'm here, give me a few minutes.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:12 PM   #20
Radii
Head Coach

1.1 - "The Catch" - Joe Montana to Dwight Clark touchdown to win the NFC Championship for San Francisco - January 10, 1982(clutch)

One of the most famous plays in sports history, it signaled the 'arrival' of both the San Francisco 49ers dynasty of the 1980s and of Joe Montana, one of the greatest QBs of all time. An amazing catch by Clark, and a throw by Montana with 3 Cowboys quickly closing down on him where only Clark could make the catch, otherwise the pass would go incomplete and there would be another play. An early example of the type of clutch performance and poise and calm under pressure that made Montana so great.

I was a Dallas fan at the time, this play is one of my earliest vivid memories as a kid, it crushed me.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #21
Radii
Head Coach

I PM'd schmidty.

I'm interested to see the picks after mine. There were a couple others that stood out to me as #1 candidates, but this one seemed a solid, safe #1.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:15 PM   #22
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Thanks Radii, good description.

I have a pick for Schmidty but I'll give him some time to make his own selection, these things always take a little while to get going on the first day.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #23
st.cronin
General Manager

Not a bad first pick.

knives out
Old 05-15-2007, 12:20 PM   #24
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You can go ahead when I am up and do my pick from the list I sent
Old 05-15-2007, 12:43 PM   #25
Schmidty
Coordinator

1.2 - Kirk Gibson walk-off homer Game 1 WS win in 1988 (Drama)

This one was tough, but you can't go wrong with Gibby's homer.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #26
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am here to make my pick
Old 05-15-2007, 12:45 PM   #27
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

"I don't believe... what I have just seen!"
Old 05-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #28
Radii
Head Coach

I hadnt' thought about that one Schmidty, not bad at all.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:47 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

1.3 final out game 7 ALCS 2004 yankees lose to red sox- Comeback

The fact that the Sox were not only down 3-0 and down to their final out against the best closer in history and came back to not only win that series but not lose another game make it the best comeback in sports history.

Plus it was against the Yankees, bonus points.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:48 PM   #30
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- what time are we going until?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:54 PM   #31
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
dola- what time are we going until?
It's in the rulebook, listed under "Maple Leafs makes the rules up as he goes".

But basically anyone can pick at any time, but once we get to early evening I'm not likely to get as cranky about somebody not being around to pick. But sending in choices in advance is always a good thing.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:28 PM   #32
sabotai
General Manager

I'm here....I'm thinking...(lots to choose from)
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #33
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:

Use this format (or something similar for picks):
1.1 - Doug Gilmour scores on a double wraparound to beat the Blue in double OT in Game One of the 1992-93 division finals (clutch)

If you use this as one of your picks, i will make many fake accounts to vote for you!!!!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:42 PM   #34
sabotai
General Manager

1.4 James "Buster" Douglas knocks out Mike Tyson in the 10th round on Feb 11th, 1990 (upset)

A fight that was so one-sided going in that many Vegas sportbooks wouldn't put odds on it. The ones that did gave Douglas anywhere from 36-1 to 42-1 to win. During this time, Tyson was seen as unbeatable. He had put together a string of early round knock outs against some of the best fighters out there. Out of nowhere, Douglas, a fighter most people have never heard and not ranked highly by any organization, stuns the world by knocking Tyson out.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:46 PM   #35
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I remember that the Tyson/Douglas fight was on at the same time as the NBA slam dunk contest. The announcer came on at the end and said something along the lines of "If those dunks brough you out of your seat, you'd better sit down again -- Buster Dougles has just knocked out Mike Tyson in Tokyo".

It's strange to think back to the days when you had to actually find out about sporting events this way, rather than having every result available instantly.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-15-2007 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #36
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I remember that the Tyson/Douglas fight was on at the same time as the NBA slam dunk contest. The announcer came on at the end and said something along the lines of "If those dunks brough you out of your seat, you'd better sit down again -- Buster Dougles has just knocked out Mike Tyson in Tokyo".

It's strange to think back to the days when you had to actually find out about sporting events this way, rather than having every result available instantly.

Hehe, I do miss those days. I remember something along the lines too. I don't remember what I was watching that the announcement came on about Douglas winning.. but I definitly remember waiting for the 11pm news to see more info about it. They had like still photos taken of Tyson getting knocked out, but it wouldn't be till the next day before footage was available for it.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:50 PM   #37
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
1.4 James "Buster" Douglas knocks out Mike Tyson in the 10th round on Feb 11th, 1990 (upset)

A fight that was so one-sided going in that many Vegas sportbooks wouldn't put odds on it. The ones that did gave Douglas anywhere from 36-1 to 42-1 to win. During this time, Tyson was seen as unbeatable. He had put together a string of early round knock outs against some of the best fighters out there. Out of nowhere, Douglas, a fighter most people have never heard and not ranked highly by any organization, stuns the world by knocking Tyson out.

The thing I remember about this was in the days after some guy I knew telling everybody that he "knew Douglas was going to win, it was perfectly obvious."

knives out
Old 05-15-2007, 01:52 PM   #38
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

1.5 - Choke - Scott Norwood, the 1991 Super Bowl. - Wide Right. 8 seconds on the clock, and the Super Bowl dependent on one kick. Wide Right. At that point, Buffalo fans could have reasonably imagined that they would get another shot - and they did - 3 times. They never came as close as the Wide Right.

Edit - I am an absolute idiot - I didn't remember the year, and misread the link.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 05-15-2007 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:53 PM   #39
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
The thing I remember about this was in the days after some guy I knew telling everybody that he "knew Douglas was going to win, it was perfectly obvious."

Titor or whatever his name was?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #40
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
had like still photos taken of Tyson getting knocked out, but it wouldn't be till the next day before footage was available for it.
God I miss still photos of PPV events.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #41
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

Don't we all know someone who always knows the outcome of sporting events before hand, but doesn't tell anyone about it until after the event?
Old 05-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #42
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Don't we all know someone who always knows the outcome of sporting events before hand, but doesn't tell anyone about it until after the event?

Yeah but that one was just so ridiculous that I think we all just laughed in his face.

knives out
Old 05-15-2007, 02:31 PM   #43
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
1.5 - Choke - Scott Norwood, the 1987 Super Bowl. - Wide Right. 8 seconds on the clock, and the Super Bowl dependent on one kick. Wide Right. At that point, Buffalo fans could have reasonably imagined that they would get another shot - and they did - 3 times. They never came as close as the Wide Right.

Ummm...points off for being the wrong year? Super Bowl XXV, 1991.

Or am I missing something?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:32 PM   #44
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

haha, what a fool!

disqualify him immediately!
Old 05-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #45
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post

Nope - I'm an idiot. Edited now.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #46
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I'll give tanglewood another 15 minutes or so and then I'm picking for him.

I'm up after that, so digamma, sak and larry, be ready.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #47
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I'll be ready immediately.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 05-15-2007 at 03:21 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:28 PM   #48
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Tanglewood's pick:

1.6 - Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal, Argentina vs England 1986 World Cup Quarter-Final - Controversy
Old 05-15-2007, 03:29 PM   #49
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

My pick:

1.7 - "Do you believe in Miracles?", the final moments of the US/USSR 1980 Olympic hockey game - Upset

Even though I personally think it's somewhat overhyped, I think it's a good value in the late first round since it's consistently at the top of most "greatest sports moments of all time" lists.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 05-15-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #50
Schmidty
Coordinator

No offense to tanglewood, but I think he could have gotten that pick in round 10.