Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 AM   #1
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

George Lucas Plans Made For TV "Star Wars" Movies

Saw this little blurb in the Fox gossip column:

hxxp://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270874,00.html

Quote:
But of course, we were most interested in talking with George Lucas, the affable genius film director who occasionally graces us in New York with an appearance. Lucas is absolutely one of my favorite people, a lovely guy who seems unaffected by his enormous success.

Lucas is currently preparing "Indiana Jones 4" with Harrison Ford, Blanchett and Shia LaBoeuf. The latter plays Ford's son, which means his mother was possibly the character Karen Allen played in "Raiders of the Lost Ark."

"I can't say," Lucas said when I brought up Allen.

Lucas says that Sean Connery still hasn't signed on, but his character, Indy's dad, is in the script. Other than that, his lips are sealed.

"Steven thinks we can keep the whole thing a secret," Lucas told me. "I explained to him that it's impossible nowadays. We can't live like that."

So then, tell me more about "Indy 4," I suggested.

"Oh no," replied Lucas with a smile.

Lucas told me he has seen all the summer movies since his company, Industrial Light and Magic, does most of the special effects. The only one they didn't work on was "Spider-Man 3." What did he think of it?

"It's silly. It's a silly movie," he said. "There just isn't much there. Once you take it all apart, there's not much story, is there?"

Well, it's not "Star Wars."

"People thought 'Star Wars' was silly, too," he added, with a wink. "But it wasn't."

Lucas, by the way, says he is readying "Clone Wars," an animated series for TV that's derived from "Star Wars." Many "Star Wars" characters appear in "Clone Wars," but voiced by other actors.

And here's a little news: Lucas tells me he will make two more live-action films based in the "Star Wars" era.

"But they won't have members of the Skywalker family as characters," he said. "They will be other people of that milieu."

The two extra films will also be made for TV and probably be an hour long each. But, like "Clone Wars," Lucas doesn't know where on TV they will land.

I'm not sure that I'd consider an hour long program a movie. How long was the Star Wars Christmas Special anyway?

CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

He was supposed to be working on a tv show. I guess that idea died.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:50 AM   #3
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Lucas told me he has seen all the summer movies since his company, Industrial Light and Magic, does most of the special effects. The only one they didn't work on was "Spider-Man 3." What did he think of it?

"It's silly. It's a silly movie," he said. "There just isn't much there. Once you take it all apart, there's not much story, is there?"

There's some irony somewhere in there....
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
JediKooter
Coordinator

There's been two tv shows in development since late 2005: An animated show (Clone Wars) and a live action 1 hour long show slated for 100 episodes that take place between Episode 3 and 4. The live action show was originally supposed to come out late this year, but, has been pushed back to 2008, possibly 2009 with Indy 4 coming out.

The animated show is being done in Asia with Lucas' new studio there. It's not going to look like the Clone Wars episodes that were on the Cartoon Network and are supposed to be half hour shows.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
affable genius

I yearn for this title.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
There's some irony somewhere in there....

More than a little...

Then again, if anyone knows "a silly movie," where "Once you take it all apart, there's not much story, is there", it's George Lucas. He just did that three times in a row and very successfully might I add.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I hate Lucas.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:48 PM   #8
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
More than a little...

Then again, if anyone knows "a silly movie," where "Once you take it all apart, there's not much story, is there", it's George Lucas. He just did that three times in a row and very successfully might I add.

??? elaborate?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #9
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
??? elaborate?

The prequel triology
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I hate Lucas.

Ditto.

I can't stand him. At all.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 06:33 PM   #11
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
More than a little...

I disagree, the prequels, like the original trilogy, have a lot of story in them and a strong plot throughout. Doesn't mean they are any good though.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #12
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
I disagree, the prequels, like the original trilogy, have a lot of story in them and a strong plot throughout. Doesn't mean they are any good though.

qft