Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2003, 08:23 AM   #1
Bee
Pro Starter

Redskin trade offer rejected

I heard this morning on the DC sports station that the Redskins offered Detroit their number 1 pick (13th overall) and CB Fred Smoot for Detroit's number 1 (the second overall). Supposedly the Lions turned it down. The Redskins are of course denying the deal was offered.

Interesting offer.

Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 08:25 AM   #2
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I tihnk I would have to turn that down too. But I thought Detroit wanted to move down? Is that too far down?
Old 02-26-2003, 08:42 AM   #3
Bee
Pro Starter

What I can't figure out is what were the Redskins looking at to move up to #2?

I agree, I'd have turned it down if I were the Lions because I think Smoot is highly overrated and makes too many mistakes and gambles during a game.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:51 AM   #4
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I remember when Smoot was at MSU. I was never impressed and he trash talks way too much.

I heard the Redskins were going to try to take a QB, but not until the second or third round. Chris Simms and Rex Grossman were possbillites.

I guess they would takes Rogers if they had this pick, I dont know though.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:51 AM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Chief Throwing Visor wants Rex Grossman, of course!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 08:52 AM   #6
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Dola.

We had the same thought.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:15 AM   #7
Syrinx
H.S. Freshman Team

It would be for Rogers.

There isn't anyone else ranked that high on the board that the Skins would want right now. Under Snyder, the ‘Skins are all about “High-Profile” players. Terrell Suggs would almost be a possible choice at the number 2 spot, except that they already have two high profile young defenders (Bailey and Arrington). They need to replace Stephen Davis as the offensive star, and Gardner and Ramsey certainly aren’t at that level (yet?). Samuels and Jansen could almost count as offensive stars but the offensive line isn’t high profile enough.

At 13 the Redskins could get a lower profile WR, help at Defensive Tackle or (if they don’t make a Free Agency move) a Guard. I doubt any of those moves really excite Snyder, compared with the option of getting a player like Rogers.

I doubt they would take QB Grossman or WR Jacobs from Florida after the backlash from last year’s failed Gators experiment.
Syrinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:39 AM   #8
Samdari
Roster Filler

The buzz around here is that the Skins are definitely going offense. The trade that wasn't offered would be to get Rogers. The prevailing wisdom is that Spurrier feels that his system was not dominant because the WRs were not good at separating from defenders (and his QBs were not good enough). They would like to get a big, fast WR in the draft but there are only two potential studs, and both will be gone by #13. Look for them to work harder to make a deal into the top 5.

Question for Mr Spurrier: If you have to get a great QB and great WRs for your system to work in the NFL, did you actually prove that it is superior to others, or did you prove that the NFL is about personnel?
Old 02-26-2003, 09:41 AM   #9
Tarkus
High School Varsity

There are rumors it might have been for one of the two top QBs, but who knows.

Tarkus

Last edited by Tarkus : 02-26-2003 at 09:54 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:42 AM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I think it's for Rogers too. Outside of Gardner, who had a decent year, Washington has no receivers. None. Rogers would be perfect for the run and gun. As for Grossman, I could see him still being around at the 13th pick. No reason to trade all the way to #2 for him.

I also heard that the trade included Detroit's second round pick and a couple of Detroit veterans.

Detroit needs serious help at cornerback and could address other defensive woes with the 13th pick, but Smoot's play dropped off some last year and there are some injury concerns.

Interesting proposal, I agree.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:46 AM   #11
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Good question Samdari. But his answer will always be that his system and his brilliance is why it works. But we may never have to worry about hearing that. He'll be exposed as a fraud long before then.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 09:48 AM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

I just talked with a friend who works at the Washington Times. He said the rumor they heard was that they were trading up to get Byron Leftwich and were going to trade Patrick Ramsey after that trade for a 2nd or 3rd rounder and a current wide out. He didn't know who that player was going to be.

Supposedly, the Redskins interviewed Leftwich and were really impressed.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:56 AM   #13
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Bee, that makes sense. You don't give up a very good young and upcoming CB to move up to the #2 spot just to get a WR. And if you watched the Redskins this year Ramsey didn't look all that impressive.

Tarkus

Last edited by Tarkus : 02-26-2003 at 09:57 AM.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 11:04 AM   #14
Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

Agree with Tarkus on one one thing - why would you give up one of the premiere young corners in the NFL just to move up in the draft? WRs are a dime a dozen, and most of the best ones (it seems to me anyway) are NOT the ones who end up going top ten. Good young corners are a much harder find. And I think Smoot is more consistent than Bailey, to be honest.

I do disagree about Ramsey though. I think given a decent OL, the guy can be special. Put him on a good team, and he would win games. He's got the arm, and the poise. But methinks he's going to struggle next year as well, because I don't see the 'Skins having the ducats to significantly improve the OL, and, I think they are really going to miss Davis at RB next year. Without a good line and established RB, and with a coach like Spurrier calling the plays, Ramsey is going to have hard time. But so would any other QB in the league with that combination from hell.
Joe Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 11:33 AM   #15
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Joe, the fact that it appears the Redskins agree more with me than you on Ramsey, probaby means you're right. My bad.

Tarkus
Old 02-26-2003, 11:36 AM   #16
Bee
Pro Starter

ROFL. That is worth quote of the moment...
Old 02-26-2003, 12:45 PM   #17
Dutch
"Dutch"

I thought Smoot got hurt at the end of last season?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 01:02 PM   #18
Samdari
Roster Filler

If the Redskins want a QB in the draft, I think they will sit where they are and be able to get Grossman. I don't think last year's failures will scare him off there. My guess is they stand pat and take either Grossman or Jacobs.

Joe, I hear you on the dime a dozen thing, I have thought that for years. But, with the increase in passing, it seems more and more that THE playmakers in the league are WRs. Spurrier would rather "pitch it" than run, so he may indeed feel they need a playmaker at the position to be successful, and THE playmaker available is Rogers.

One more thing, SkyDog, can we suspend JoeStallings posting privleges here until 1.20 is out?
Old 02-26-2003, 01:36 PM   #20
ScottVib
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by EagleFan
Uh, 1.20 has been out.

In fact there is a publicly released 1.28 beta floating around.

http://www.tournamentdreams.com/downloads/tdbeta128.zip
ScottVib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 01:39 PM   #21
Samdari
Roster Filler

Woops, my bad.

Sorry Joe.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:43 PM   #22
Joe Stallings
.400 Software Studios

Can I post again now?
Joe Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 03:07 PM   #23
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Stallings
Can I post again now?

Hold on Joe, we're gonna need a poll on that one.

Tarkus
Old 02-26-2003, 06:04 PM   #24
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

i think drafting a qb would be a monumentous mistake for the redskins. ramsey will be a good NFL Qb and if they can land him a decent target to throw to or some o-line help I think he will be effective next year. their recieving core is attrociuos. even gardner did not play well, he never caught anything that was remotely difficult. he will be a #2 at best. if they can get rogers i say it is a great move.
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote