Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-26-2003, 03:28 AM   #1
mrushh
High School Varsity

TCY Punting Wonderment/Question

I do a dynasty for TCY (that, of course, nobody reads) and I am constantly harping/bitching/blaming my punter and his crummy yards/punt average when we lose a game (among other blamed points, not just the punter).

Well, I was looking through the individual player stats to see if my RB was #1 or not and I looked at the punting averages. For the entire 125 teams; there are ONLY 3 that have an average over 40 yards for the season. THREE...

Is this an aberration and I just never looked before, or is this the normal punting averages in TCY?

P.S.- None of the 3 are over 42 yards/punt.

mrushh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 08:41 AM   #2
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

I think TCY shows the net punting avg and not the gross....
Old 02-26-2003, 06:03 PM   #3
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I'll have to go back and look at some of my box scores, but I believe the average shown is indeed gross and not net.

Early on, the punting problem could be explained by the bizarre decision-making done by the AI in 4th down situations between the 30 and 40 yard lines of your opponent - often your team would punt inside the 35 yard-line, even inside the 30 sometimes.

As a result, you'd have a lot of punts go as touchbacks from inside the 35, bringing down your gross average (and even worse for your net).

Now, things swing the other way - your team goes for it on 4th down waaaaaay too much in that area. Still, punting averages are way too low in general, with guys averaging 40 or more exceedingly rare. I'm not sure if it's a problem simply in gross distance, or if attempts to hit coffin-corner kicks are bringing averages down too much, or if the decision-making on 4th down still adversely affects punt distance averages.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 07:59 PM   #4
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

Personally I always thought the game was flawed wrt punting. Averages have always been low.