Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Another Sign of the Apocalypse

Seem to be more and more of these every day.

Time Warner offered me a 2-month free trial alongside my DirecTV service so I could compare and contrast. They had the usual screwups getting it installed (missing one appointment which gave me a $20 credit, and not having the right paperwork at the second that would have meant a $200 check for my "free" preview), but straightened it out without me having to lift a finger (they called me). And so far I like the service better. DVR isn't quite as easy to use, but some things are better (actually quicker to find a show than my DirecTIVO).

Even better, the SD picture quality is as much better than the DirecTV picture as DirecTV was compared to cable when I first switched away. Low contrast scenes don't blur out on me, the colors are brighter (using the EXACT same cable into the TV, I just pop it out of one DVR and into the other). DirecTV can kiss it when they claim fantastic picture quality, as that overcompressed garbage is just getting on my nerves. Channel lineup is close enough for me (no NFL network, but I'll get 4 simultaneous HD games during March Madness and more Hurricanes games in HD).

And most importantly they don't want me to pay $300 to get an MPEG-4 setup after paying $400 four years ago to get an HD receiver and another $400 two years ago to upgrade to an HD-DVR, plus $10/month for the HD "package", all to get the HD service they originally promised four years ago.

I may be switching back to cable after 8 or 9 years with DirecTV and swearing I'd never go back. God help us all.

gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
BYU 14
Coordinator

Do they have Fox Soccer channel?
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
Schmidty
Coordinator

Man, I am glad I'm not this anal about my TV watching.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #4
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
Man, I am glad I'm not this anal about my TV watching.

I just hate having to jiggle the dial, then smack my set on the side to get the picture right.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #5
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Do they have Fox Soccer channel?

I think I have it, but not in HD. Getting all of the Cavs games in HD will be amazing next year. Like Gregg said, never having to pay for a box is key. Right now I pay a shade over 100 and get high speed internet, dvr digital cable, the HD tier, and all the movie channells. Not too bad, somehow they are nice to you with the bundling.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #6
Atocep
Coordinator

When I moved from San Antonio to here (tacoma) I gave up Directv and the NFL Sunday ticket because my directv bill was getting ridiculous. We got Comcast cable, internet, and phone service with a guaranteed price lock for 1 year and saving over $50 a month from what we had been paying.

I've found on-demand is perfect with a 5 year old in the house and we're getting faster internet and unlimited long distance. I've been suprisingly pleased thus far.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:45 PM   #7
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Even better, the SD picture quality is as much better than the DirecTV picture as DirecTV was compared to cable when I first switched away. Low contrast scenes don't blur out on me, the colors are brighter (using the EXACT same cable into the TV, I just pop it out of one DVR and into the other). DirecTV can kiss it when they claim fantastic picture quality, as that overcompressed garbage is just getting on my nerves.

Yep...a lot has changed in the last 8 or so years between CATV & DTH providers. CATV has run fiber deeper into neighborhoods, cleaned up their infrastructure to support HSD, VOD, & VoIP...and in turn it has a nice added spillover effect of solving those quality issues they may not have bothered with way back when.

DTH on the other hand...took what was once their strength(picture quality) and have slowly degraded it over the years to accommadate more & more content. If you have an HDTV over 42", you'll probably see a difference(dramatic to me) in quality between the 2, mostly on the SD content. Many people seem to have gotten used to the low quality of today, so it really depends on the individual, but you are absolutely spot on with your analysis of DirecTV, at least on the whole.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote