Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

MLB: Just how bad are the Nationals?

As a Tigers fan I can sympathize with these guys, but this teams looks hopeless. Beyond Zimmerman there is nothing there. Their pitching is meh all over and this team has yet to have a lead all year. Their only win was because Julio is not very good and he blew it in the bottom of the ninth. I am willing to bet this team competes with the 68 Mets/03 Tigers as worst all time.

Anyone else able to give a reason why they won't?

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

From a Jayson Stark article ..

Problems 1 through 25: Talent
And by that we mean: There sure isn't enough of it. This entire starting rotation won two games last year. Yeah, two. The lineup features nobody who hit 25 homers last season. And once you get past Ryan Zimmerman, Austin Kearns and Brian Schneider, the rest of the roster is "just a bunch of extra players," said one scout.

"I've been watching that team, just to see if we might want to [trade] for someone when they start selling," said one front-office man. "I still haven't come up with that someone."

We're not sure how many games this team is going to lose. 100? 110? 118? But wherever they end up, the Nationals already have done something that's just about impossible:

Over their first nine games, 714 hitters marched up to home plate. Not one of them stepped into the box while the Nationals held a lead. (The only time they led in the one game they won, remember, was the moment the winning run crossed the plate in the ninth inning.) That's gotta be a record that will never be broken.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I am proud(?) to say I was in the seats for Opening Day. I am also proud to say I didn't pay for the ticket.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #4
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Should note: Braves/Nats in the 6th, 0-0 game, each team has 1 hit.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:02 PM   #5
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I am proud(?) to say I was in the seats for Opening Day. I am also proud to say I didn't pay for the ticket.

How was the attendance?
Old 04-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

As was I. However, I paid for my ticket as I am sure to do many more times this year.

And a shutout win tonight against Smoltz!

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

what better nats or phils
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The thing is they don't have a Marlins payroll. They are spending way too much for this collection of crap. I also think they're taking a major risk going into the new stadium with the possibility of an historically bad team. It's been shown in numerous markets that a new stadium doesn't add much after the first year or two if the team is still losing.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:09 AM   #10
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'll admit I was wrong on payroll I saw a number in the 50s. Maybe that was last year's number.

I disagree a little on the position players. They have a lot of decent players, but there isn't a single scary bat in that lineup. Zimmerman may eventually become that guy, but right now they have an abundance of 2 and 6 hitters.

They do have a lot of picks, but I still remember the story from last year when Bowden bragged about how he was loading up on high school pitching. He even had a theory that high school pitchers were better than college because they would be in the minors longer. Bowden made so many bad high school pitcher picks for the Reds that I fear for the Nats.

I generally agree that they're building the right way, but I would have liked to see them spend some money on a couple of decent pitchers. They could be historically bad this year and I don't think that benefits the franchise.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #11
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:

I was there as well, and for the same price

Stadium was maybe 75% full, if that, and that percentage will drop very fast game by game. Soon there will be no more than 10 people in the stands. Its like the movie "Major League".
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:12 AM   #12
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

They have yet to score in the first three innings of any game this year.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:32 AM   #13
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
They have yet to score in the first three innings of any game this year.

That's because all of the Nats players have super-high clutch ratings.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #15
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

They suck. I guess if they can get shutout pitching every night from a rotation that had a combined 2 wins last year, they will be decent.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:58 AM   #16
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiRevival View Post
As for adding offseason pitching, decent pitchers like Meche and Lilly were getting 4-5 year contracts at 10-11m a year. Do you honestly think adding one of them for 10 mil more this year makes any discernible difference? Until Randy St. Claire is gone it won't matter anyways as he'll just keep mangling every arm that he gets.

My personal feeling is that, at some point - whether it makes sense to SABR guys, your local writer, or just baseball fans in general - it is worth over-investing in a particular guy or guys to assure that you are somewhat competitive and not being mentioned in the same breath as the 1962 Mets. There's an unquantifiable value in being competitive enough that your fanbase wants to come to games and doesn't completely ignore the fact that the team exists. I'm not saying this particular team is at that point or whether a Gil Meche for $55M is worth it, but having a starting rotation with 2 2006 wins, and none of them being prospects, let alone highly-touted prospects, is inexcusable. At least the Marlins had consensus prospects who they had acquired in exchange for real talent. This team's pitching staff is both inexperienced AND bad, with little, if any, ceiling.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-13-2007 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-13-2007, 09:59 AM   #17
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
I was there as well, and for the same price

Stadium was maybe 75% full, if that, and that percentage will drop very fast game by game. Soon there will be no more than 10 people in the stands. Its like the movie "Major League".

Where the heck were you guys in my "Anyone going to the Nats opener?" thread??

Old 04-13-2007, 10:09 AM   #18
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
Where the heck were you guys in my "Anyone going to the Nats opener?" thread??

I honestly didn't know I was going until the day before. We were invited by a company that does consulting for us to their seats. I'd laugh if either CamEdwards or lordscarlet work for that company, and I was actually at the game with one of them and I had no idea I was with another FOFC'er.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:31 AM   #19
Bee
Pro Starter

I think the positional players are decent and most are young enough that they probably haven't reached their prime yet. As far as pitching, Shawn Hill hasn't looked that bad. I think O'Connor will be an improvement when he comes back. If Chico calms down a little and gets under control and Patterson starts to at least show a glimmer of what he did last year, I think they could still win 50 games. Of course, maybe I'm just optomistic because I have a $100 riding on them winning 50 games.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:37 AM   #20
Ksyrup

Well, hell, most very bad teams can walk into winning 50 games, so I'd take that bet despite how bad this team looks. But a few injuries and unexpected down (or further down, I guess ) seasons from key guys, and this team could see 115 losses. But's rare. I guess Arizona and Detroit were the last teams I can recall losing more than 110-115 games in a season, right?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #21
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottimd View Post
I honestly didn't know I was going until the day before. We were invited by a company that does consulting for us to their seats. I'd laugh if either CamEdwards or lordscarlet work for that company, and I was actually at the game with one of them and I had no idea I was with another FOFC'er.

Nah, I was with my dad in unusually crappy seats for me. Section 521 if memory serves me.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #22
Izulde
Head Coach

The Nationals are so bad the Oakland Raiders could beat them in baseball.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #23
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Quote:
Nah, I was with my dad in unusually crappy seats for me. Section 521 if memory serves me.

I was in the 300's underneath the press box behind home plate.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #24
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Well, hell, most very bad teams can walk into winning 50 games, so I'd take that bet despite how bad this team looks. But a few injuries and unexpected down (or further down, I guess ) seasons from key guys, and this team could see 115 losses. But's rare. I guess Arizona and Detroit were the last teams I can recall losing more than 110-115 games in a season, right?

Well, there's no question they are bad. The question is how bad...historically bad or just first year of rebuilding bad?
Old 04-13-2007, 10:52 AM   #25
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm not sold on their position players. Zimmerman has the potential to be one of the top three third basemen in the game, but I don't think anyone else is in the top ten at their position. Schneider may be, but no one else. They have a lot of complimentary bats, but no one that pitchers fear.

Ksyrup said it well, they should have done something to avoid being historically bad. The new stadium will be enough next year, but this team better be a contender before the decade is out or they could become a National League version of the Orioles.
Old 04-13-2007, 10:55 AM   #26
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm not sold on their position players. Zimmerman has the potential to be one of the top three third basemen in the game, but I don't think anyone else is in the top ten at their position. Schneider may be, but no one else. They have a lot of complimentary bats, but no one that pitchers fear.

Ksyrup said it well, they should have done something to avoid being historically bad. The new stadium will be enough next year, but this team better be a contender before the decade is out or they could become a National League version of the Orioles.

I think this is the perfect time to be bad. They're bad this year, they flow into the new stadium with new stadium hype, they're a little better the following two years and whent hey need to be good is in 2010 which follows 3 years of "rebuilding". If the plan goes as they expect, I think it's very smart.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #27
Ksyrup

I think the question, though, is whether they have set themselves up to be good at any point in the near future. Admittedly, I don't know much about their farm system, but that's part of the problem, isn't it? When the Marlins sold off their team, everyone they got back was a top-rated prospect. When the D-Backs lost, what, 113 games a few years ago, everyone was talking about the young team that we're seeing on the field right now. I don't get the sense that the Nats have a huge amount of talent in the minors that they're holding back to coincide with the new stadium, but maybe they do. I think if they did, and they suck this bad, we'd be seeing them sooner rather than later. Like, "next week" sooner!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:02 AM   #28
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It may work. I just think they're playing with fire allowing the team to be so bad. Is it really likely that they can develop two or three starters, a couple setup men, a closer(assuming Cordero is traded), a couple big bats, and a middle infielder in three years? That's what it's going to take to compete with the Mets for the division.

By allowing this team to be a laughing stock the management is making their job more difficult.

I should add, do you think they'll keep Kearns, Lopez and Johnson when they're FAs?

Last edited by JPhillips : 04-13-2007 at 11:04 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:07 AM   #29
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

According to John Sickels the farm system is far from loaded.

# Chris Marrero, OF, Grade B+ (solid all-around bat)
# Kory Casto, 3B-OF, Grade B (old for Double-A but I think he will hit)
# Colton Willems, RHP, Grade B (very young, a long way from the majors)
# Zech Zinicola, RHP, Grade B (will get there a lot faster than Willems but ceiling not as high)
# Shairon Martis, RHP, B (this is a generous grade but I like his arm)
# Shawn Hill, RHP, C+ (gets grounders)
# Matt Chico, LHP, C+ (number four starter perhaps)
# Garrett Mock, RHP, C+ (good arm but shaky results)
# Glenn Gibson, LHP,C+ (like Willems, promising but a long way away)
# Jhonny Nunez, RHP, C+ (see Gibson and Willems)
# Stephen King, SS, C+ (Good name but bat a question)
# Larry Broadway, 1B, C (getting old, needs a position)
# Collin Balester, RHP, C (good arm, terrible numbers)
# Clint Everts, RHP, C (good arm, terrible numbers)
# Brett Campbell, RHP, C (decent middle relief type)
# Ian Desmond, SS, C (I don't think he will hit)
# Alexis Morales, RHP, C (can't throw strikes)
# Josh Whitesell, 1B, C (85% as good as Broadway)
# Dee Brown Mark II, OF, C
# Marco Estrada, RHP, C
Old 04-13-2007, 11:17 AM   #30
Bee
Pro Starter

How does that compare to two years ago?
Old 04-13-2007, 11:29 AM   #31
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I can't find a 2005 prospects list on Sickels site, but based on comments most of the top ten are 2006 draft picks or trades. The farm system is getting better, but there currently isn't anyone that can be projected as an All-Star caliber player.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #32
Bee
Pro Starter

I was just curious because looking at that list, it looked like almost everyone were newer acquisitions.

I'm not really surprised though that they don't have any top prospects when you consider the state of the farm system when they were finally sold to the Lerner group. There wasn't much talent on the major league roster either to trade for prospects like the Marlins had in Ksyrup's example.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #33
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I was in 429, I think. Not bad seats, and will probably have access to a pair of seats for day games if anybody wants to catch a game at some point.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:44 AM   #34
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Of course, we could get an FOFC trip to the Potomac Nationals and have a much better time
Old 04-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #35
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This rebuilding strategy makes me rethink the Kearns/Lopez trade. It was still a disaster for the Reds, but I'm not sure it was a clear win for the Nats. Lopez may be a better fielder at 2nd, but he'll still be below average and I'm not sure he'll regain his All-Star batting form without the big bats behind him he had in Cincy. Kearns is good, but never will be an All-Star. He's a good guy to have batting two or six, but he's not a big RBI producer.

All this leads to the question, do the Nats keep either player when they turn FA? Neither is exceptional, and both will probably command a high enough salary to make the decision difficult. If the Nats let both of them walk they may or may not get compensation picks. If they get picks it will be at worst a wash, but if they let both walk and get no return they'll have given away a closer prospect for players that don't help in the rebuilding.

Of course they may trade both this year and then they'll be even worse!
Old 04-13-2007, 11:49 AM   #36
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'd be up for a minor league get together.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:18 PM   #37
Ksyrup

This doesn't look like anything other than pure speculation on the writer's part, but it's probably being discussed internally:

A. Jones in D.C.?

Given the Nationals' situation, even April isn't too early to start wondering about what free agents the club might pursue when its payroll expands for 2008. One logical possibility: Atlanta center fielder Andruw Jones, whose deal with the Braves expires at the end of this season.

Jones -- who will likely command something approaching or exceeding the eight-year, $136 million deal Alfonso Soriano signed with the Chicago Cubs last offseason -- is familiar with Nationals President Stan Kasten and bench coach Pat Corrales, who both had long tenures with the Braves.

"My love is here in Atlanta," Jones said before Thursday's game. "I will do my best to be here. But it's a business. Anything can happen."

Jones won't suffer from a shortage of pursuers. But if he leaves the National League East, he might not be able to whip up on the Nationals as much. In 166 career games against Montreal and Washington, he has 46 homers and 131 RBI -- his highest totals against any opponent.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:22 PM   #38
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It may work. I just think they're playing with fire allowing the team to be so bad. Is it really likely that they can develop two or three starters, a couple setup men, a closer(assuming Cordero is traded), a couple big bats, and a middle infielder in three years? That's what it's going to take to compete with the Mets for the division.

By allowing this team to be a laughing stock the management is making their job more difficult.

I should add, do you think they'll keep Kearns, Lopez and Johnson when they're FAs?

I think this is the best they can do. If they stock up on free agents and ignore the farm system they'll be ready for a huge drop around 2010. MLB pillaged the Montreal/Washington franchise to a point that there is no quick answer. Kasten is not responsible for the dregs he inherited and I think he is trying to do the best he can to correct that problem. We (as a city/fans) want a team that can compete for a long time. A splash in the pan with free agents isn't going to help much to achieve that. I think the time to spend money on free agents is 2010 or so, when some of the young guys have panned out and the luster of the new stadium is wearing off.

Quote:
I was in 429, I think. Not bad seats, and will probably have access to a pair of seats for day games if anybody wants to catch a game at some point.

Quote:
Of course, we could get an FOFC trip to the Potomac Nationals and have a much better time

I would be down for either. I go to at least 10-15 Nationals games a year and I could certainly go to the P-Nats (I grew up down the street and the stadium is named after the father of a friend from growing up).

I have spent a lot of time in the 120s for games so far. They're fairly easy to get on ebay at or below face value. The best were the diamond club seats we got for $40/ea in '05.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #39
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
This doesn't look like anything other than pure speculation on the writer's part, but it's probably being discussed internally:

A. Jones in D.C.?

Given the Nationals' situation, even April isn't too early to start wondering about what free agents the club might pursue when its payroll expands for 2008. One logical possibility: Atlanta center fielder Andruw Jones, whose deal with the Braves expires at the end of this season.

Jones -- who will likely command something approaching or exceeding the eight-year, $136 million deal Alfonso Soriano signed with the Chicago Cubs last offseason -- is familiar with Nationals President Stan Kasten and bench coach Pat Corrales, who both had long tenures with the Braves.

"My love is here in Atlanta," Jones said before Thursday's game. "I will do my best to be here. But it's a business. Anything can happen."

Jones won't suffer from a shortage of pursuers. But if he leaves the National League East, he might not be able to whip up on the Nationals as much. In 166 career games against Montreal and Washington, he has 46 homers and 131 RBI -- his highest totals against any opponent.

I have no idea why the Nationals would entertain signing someone on the last year of a contract.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:47 PM   #40
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
I have no idea why the Nationals would entertain signing someone on the last year of a contract.

I think on further review you'll find the article to be about Jones being a target after this year, and his contract, have ended.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:18 PM   #41
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I would be down for either. I go to at least 10-15 Nationals games a year and I could certainly go to the P-Nats (I grew up down the street and the stadium is named after the father of a friend from growing up).

I think I read they're tearing down Pfitzner stadium .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #42
RedKingGold
College Starter

All I know is they're playing better than the Phillies right now.

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #43
PSUColonel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
All I know is they're playing better than the Phillies right now.

you said it. UGLY

I'm starting to get my boo bird tuned up.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #44
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I think I read they're tearing down Pfitzner stadium .

They are. It is a bit of a POS.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:44 PM   #46
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

After 35 games the Nats are on pace for 116 losses.

Nats 2007, Not quite historically awful!
Old 05-11-2007, 11:09 PM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MLB: Just how bad are the Cardinals?
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:47 PM   #48
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Cool thing from my perspective is a former AAU Basketball Teammate of mine (Michael Restovich) may get some time here and there on the MLB Roster. He's been a heckuva Minor League Player that hasn't been able to turn that into success at the Major League Level. Still, very cool that he has the opportunity he has to do what he does.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6416

As far as D.C. is concerned, will the city support this team over the course of the season if things continue? I guess we'll really get to see just how bad the District wanted MLB after all.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 05-11-2007 at 11:51 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:59 PM   #49
Logan
Head Coach

I remember Restovich being considered a pretty big prospect with the Twins a few years back. He was one of those guys I would always try to pick up during an OOTP career.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote