Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(POL + REL) An Easter message to reclaim the Christian faith

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/04/mar...sus/index.html

By Roland Martin
CNN Contributor

Editor's note: Roland Martin is a CNN contributor and talk-show host on WVON-AM in Chicago, Illinois. He is the author of "Listening to the Spirit Within: 50 Perspectives on Faith."

NEW YORK (CNN) -- When did it come to the point that being a Christian meant caring about only two issues,* abortion and homosexuality?

Ask the nonreligious what being a Christian today means, and based on what we see and read, it's a good bet they will say that followers of Jesus Christ are preoccupied with those two points.

Poverty? Whatever. Homelessness? An afterthought. A widening gap between the have and have-nots? Immaterial. Divorce? The divorce rate of Christians mirrors the national average, so that's no big deal.

The point is that being a Christian should be about more than abortion and homosexuality, and it's high time that those not considered a part of the religious right expose the hypocrisy of our brothers and sisters in Christianity and take back the faith. And those on the left who believe they have a "get out of sin free" card must not be allowed to justify their actions.

Many people believe we are engaged in a holy war. And we are. But it's not with Muslims. The real war -- * the silent war *-- is being engaged among Christians, and that's what we must set our sights on.

As we celebrate Holy Week, our focus is on the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. But aren't we also to recommit ourselves to live more like Jesus? Did Jesus spend his time focusing on all that he didn't like, or did Jesus raise the consciousness of the people to understand love, compassion and teach them about following the will of God?

As a layman studying to receive a master's in Christian communications, and the husband of an ordained minister, it's troubling to listen to "Christian radio" and hear the kind of hate spewing out of the mouths of my brothers and sisters in the faith.

In fact, I've grown tired of people who pimp God. That's right; we have a litany of individuals today who are holy, holy, holy, sing hallelujah, talk about how they love the Lord, but when it's time to walk the walk, somehow the spirit evaporates.

A couple of years ago I took exception to an e-mail blast from the Concerned Women for America. The group was angry that Democrats were blocking certain judges put up for the federal bench by President Bush. It called on Americans to fight Democrats who wanted to keep Christians off the bench.

So I called and sent an e-mail asking, "So, where were you when President Clinton appointed Christian judges to the bench? Were they truly behind Christian judges, or Republican Christian judges?

Surprise, surprise. There was never a response.

An African-American pastor I know in the Midwest was asked by a group of mostly white clergy to march in an anti-abortion rally. He was fine with that, but then asked the clergy if they would work with him to fight crack houses in predominantly black neighborhoods.

"That's really your problem," he was told.

They saw abortion as a moral imperative, but not a community ravaged by crack.

If abortion and gay marriage are part of the Christian agenda, I have no issue with that. Those are moral issues that should be of importance to people of the faith, but the agenda should be much, much broader.

I'm looking for the day when Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, Joyce Meyer, James Dobson, Tony Perkins, James Kennedy, Rod Parsley, " Patriot Pastors" and Rick Warren will sit at the same table as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, Cynthia Hale, Eddie L. Long, James Meek, Fred Price, Emmanuel Cleaver and Floyd Flake to establish a call to arms on racism, AIDS, police brutality, a national health care policy, our sorry education system.

If they all say they love and worship one God, one Jesus, let's see them rally their members behind one agenda.

I stand here today not as a Republican or a liberal. And don't bother calling me a Democrat or a conservative. I am a man,* an African-American man *who has professed that Jesus Christ is Lord, and that's to whom I bow down.

If you concur, it's time to stop allowing a chosen few to speak for the masses. Quit letting them define the agenda.

So put on the full armor of God because we have work to do.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:21 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

in before the lock
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

and in before the inevitable bubbawheels appearance and/or the bannination that will ensue
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

This was not posted as an attempt to troll, or touch off a war.. this is honestly what I think. Mister Martin couldn't have said it any better.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:27 PM   #5
WVUFAN
College Starter

Let me say my two cents here.

Thanks for the post, SirFozzie. I agree with what it says completely.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's quite a powerful statement. I do think that those Christians who only focus on abortion and homosexuality tend to give the faith a bad name. Jesus was about love and compassion and it seems some in the Christian faith have forgotten those lessons. I'm surprised that there isn't more of a focus on poverty, since Jesus was pretty big into the meek.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:31 PM   #7
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

forum pausing dola

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-06-2007 at 04:34 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

forum pausing double dola

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-06-2007 at 04:35 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Thanks WVUFan .. a minute after I posted that, I was talking with DaddyTorgo, and I expected an almighty flame war to bust out over it, but here at work, I read that.

Then I read it again.

And I said to myself. "Damn, there's nothing in there I can really disagree with".

Then I read it again.

And I'm still appreciating his words.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I like.
Old 04-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I don't think this is flame war type stuff. It's an honest statement. Wasn't there some angelical leader who was recently asked to resign or resigned or something like that for pretty much making the same point?

If I recall correctly, he wanted to broaden the group's (not sure which one) focus to start taking on issues like poverty, AIDS, maybe even global warming and focus less on abortion and gay marriage and was pretty much told that was not going to happen.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Some of the comments on the CNN article were basically "But Abortion KILLS! Screw all the other issues!", (two of the more virulent posts were there one minute, gone the next.)
Old 04-06-2007, 04:54 PM   #13
Coder
College Prospect

I'm not religious, but that article is great. I have no problem with religion or with people who have faith, in fact, I have several believing friends... What I do have, however, is a problem with bigotry.

~ I am an idiot, walking a tight rope of fortunate things ~
Coder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:03 PM   #14
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I personally think this has already been done, but this doesn't sell papers, nor does it get people in the media as "Christian Leaders".

My local church is all about helping the local community through food banks, shelters, etc., and stipulates exactly how each dollar given to the church is spent. Does this warrant a full-page story in the community newspaper? No. That's what churches do. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who speak to the media in the name of the church who couldn't buy a clue, but that's the nature of the beast.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:05 PM   #15
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

I thought the article was well written and pretty darn interesting (and unfortunately probably fairly accurate also).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #16
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
I personally think this has already been done, but this doesn't sell papers, nor does it get people in the media as "Christian Leaders".

It seems to become a "Christian Leader", (not only in the media but in terms of congregation, donations, etcetera).. You have to yell louder and longer about how evil everyone is.. except those who follow you.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:22 PM   #17
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
It seems to become a "Christian Leader", (not only in the media but in terms of congregation, donations, etcetera).. You have to yell louder and longer about how evil everyone is.. except those who follow you.

I don't necessarily think that's so. Our church is prospering and growing in congregation, but doesn't preach how "evil" everyone is. We all have sin - the preachers, the congregations, etc. Unfortunately, the leaders of any large group (secular on non-secular) aren't infallible, and they suffer the same problems anyone would when it comes to power (absolute power corrupts absolutely).

I'm not a big fan of "the church" -whatever that is (it's more a nice, tidy package than anything). It's like any other large-scale organization - it's run by people and people inherently screw up.

I consider myself part of the "Christian right" - but I'm not necessarily sure I know what it even means. I'm Christian and I'm a conservative. However, though the media would have you believe I'm standing outside of abortion clinics screaming epithets at young women and telling others I think they're going to hell because they're gay, that's not so.

Again, it's a nice, tidy package to think all or even a majority of Christians think that way, but it's not necessarily the case, nor is it responsible. But hey, we as humans inhrently classify things this way so we can relate to it more easily.
how do you know?

Old 04-06-2007, 05:29 PM   #18
Rizon
Pro Starter

Easter is about Peeps. The End.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #19
PSUColonel
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Easter is about Peeps. The End.

This is what begins flame wars
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 05:48 PM   #20
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

An appropriate message just days after the head of the Catholic League stole the papacy and tried to kill Jesus.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:50 PM   #21
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
An appropriate message just days after the head of the Catholic League stole the papacy and tried to kill Jesus.

And the poor bunny, don't forget!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:01 PM   #22
Buccaneer
Head Coach

This article is consistent with what I have been writing about here for the past few years, at least I hope so.

A joyous Easter to all.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:02 PM   #23
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
This is what begins flame wars

Your're one of those Cadbury Egg people, aren't you?
Quote:
Old 04-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #24
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Your're one of those Cadbury Egg people, aren't you?

I know you're kidding, and that's cool, but PSU is right ... statements like that, especially given the nature of the commentary the thread started on, does start the religion/anti-religion flame war.

Given the fact that the article is talking about all the positive things religion does as opposed to the things it does that non-religious folks rightly say is wrong with religion, your statement really is in poor form.

I mean, really -- I honestly don't think rational athiests would have a single problem with religious folks if they did what this article says they should be doing. It's when they act like fools that they have the issue.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:26 PM   #25
st.cronin
General Manager

I know dozens of church going Christians who have personally gone to places like Haiti and Africa to build houses and schools. I do not know anybody who has ever held a sign outside an abortion clinic.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:33 PM   #26
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who speak to the media in the name of the church who couldn't buy a clue, but that's the nature of the beast.

But since Jesus didn't give these people free pass in his day why do current people who ostensibly follow him choose to? Jesus treated his church leaders like modern guys treat the outcasts and the outcasts like the modern guys treat their church leaders.

Doesn't make sense for his followers to do so.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #27
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
I know you're kidding, and that's cool, but PSU is right ... statements like that, especially given the nature of the commentary the thread started on, does start the religion/anti-religion flame war.

Given the fact that the article is talking about all the positive things religion does as opposed to the things it does that non-religious folks rightly say is wrong with religion, your statement really is in poor form.

I mean, really -- I honestly don't think rational athiests would have a single problem with religious folks if they did what this article says they should be doing. It's when they act like fools that they have the issue.

I guess there really isn't any way for me to respond your post without a flame-war starting (not necessarily with you), which is pretty sad and ironic given the subject of the article.
Quote:
Old 04-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #28
Axxon
Pro Starter

Dola,

I really like the article a lot and agree with the guy.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:42 PM   #29
Drake
assmaster

Don't you know that all Christians are obsessed with homosexuality and abortion and all Muslims are terrorists?
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #30
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
As one of them "rational athiests", I agree with this 100%.

Problem is, it's the differing opinion of the definition of "act like fools" that athiests and religious folk get all worked up over.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:50 PM   #31
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

Problem is, it's the differing opinion of the definition of "act like fools" that athiests and religious folk get all worked up over.

Can't speak for everyone, but here's what I think of when Christians "Act Like Fools":

- Believe in the Bible LITERALLY.
- Try to intimidate others into their viewpoint.
- Force their religion onto others
- Picket abortion clinics

I'm more than sure there's about a dozen or more things, but I'm at work, and I never think clearly about things like this at work.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:56 PM   #32
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Can't speak for everyone, but here's what I think of when Christians "Act Like Fools":

I'm more than sure there's about a dozen or more things, but I'm at work, and I never think clearly about things like this at work.

2-4 absolutely but why is holding a belief "acting" like a fool? This is where rational atheists lose me. It becomes just another example of 'believe what I believe or you're acting like a fool' which drops them into the 2-4 category as well.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:00 PM   #33
st.cronin
General Manager

Even if you believe in the Bible literally, interpretation is still required, since life and words are not the same thing.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:02 PM   #34
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
2-4 absolutely but why is holding a belief "acting" like a fool? This is where rational atheists lose me. It becomes just another example of 'believe what I believe or you're acting like a fool' which drops them into the 2-4 category as well.

If it sticks to just believing, that's fine, but if you believe in the Bible verbatim, you have to testify, ie, tell everyone you know of your beliefs, which puts you right smack down in the 2-4 category.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #35
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
If it sticks to just believing, that's fine, but if you believe in the Bible verbatim, you have to testify, ie, tell everyone you know of your beliefs, which puts you right smack down in the 2-4 category.

That doesn't make sense to me. I believe in a lot of things and I don't feel compelled to act on those beliefs. In fact, christians like this literally believe in the devil but they aren't supposed to try and tempt everybody.

Seems the difference may be in what we're talking about. I'm using "believe in" as in, believe what it says literally and yet "believe in" could also mean support and actively promote.

I'm using the former definition.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #36
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

It's really not a bad article but it's flawed for two reasons. For one, it's entirely too broad - when I think of Christianity I don't think of any of the names listed in the article. They may have the most publicity but I think of people I've came in direct contact with, or people who have touched others I know. People involved who bust their ass and even give up the floor if there is someone there who has something they need to say - which reaches a myriad of different topics. All in all, those people may only get to a small number of people in the big scheme of things, but when it's all over the country - even the world, it's not that small of a number especially when those people talk with others and so forth, it's just not plastered all over the media monster of today.

Secondly, this practically could be said about any religion, or any non-religion for that matter. Because it's not really even about what the religion stands for, it's simply how the media portrays what the religion is about, that includes some of the people named in the article, not just outlets. You could call several religions for singling in and caring too much about certain subjects, and you could say the same for others that don't care at all about anything.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #37
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
That doesn't make sense to me. I believe in a lot of things and I don't feel compelled to act on those beliefs. In fact, christians like this literally believe in the devil but they aren't supposed to try and tempt everybody.

Seems the difference may be in what we're talking about. I'm using "believe in" as in, believe what it says literally and yet "believe in" could also mean support and actively promote.

I'm using the former definition.

I think my definition is more the latter of what you said.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #38
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I also agree with a lot of points in the article. Craig, it sounds like you are at a great church, but some of the churchs I attended weren't like that which is part of the reason for my various periods of disillusionment with organized religion.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 09:44 PM   #39
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I also agree with a lot of points in the article. Craig, it sounds like you are at a great church, but some of the churchs I attended weren't like that which is part of the reason for my various periods of disillusionment with organized religion.

I'm with you on that. Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard to find a church that suits you. I had a period in my life where I couldn't find a church and then finally just gave up. Fortunately, fifteen years later, my wife and I found one and we couldn't be happier. Sure, it's not perfect, just like no individual is (well, not ENTIRELY true ), but ultimately you'll find church isn't about YOU - it's about the service it performs for the community and the fellowship surrounding the teachings of Jesus.

It's okay to be disillusioned with various churches. Ultimately, a church (in the context of Christianity) is nothing but a group of people (hopefully) worshipping God and his Son. The thing one has to remember is that man is not perfect, and therefore the church isn't either. You just hope and pray that the people involved in the church leadership are grounded in the teachings of Christ.

I hope you keep looking, EF. You may find what you're looking for .
how do you know?

Old 04-06-2007, 09:47 PM   #40
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:

What's wrong with testifying about your beliefs? You have good news to share and others should be able to make a decision about is as well. If it's not for them, so be it - you tried. I don't know how testifying about Jesus dying on the cross for one's sin puts me in the same place as a person picketing at an abortion clinic. That's just silly.
how do you know?

Old 04-06-2007, 09:53 PM   #41
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
What's wrong with testifying about your beliefs? You have good news to share and others should be able to make a decision about is as well. If it's not for them, so be it - you tried. I don't know how testifying about Jesus dying on the cross for one's sin puts me in the same place as a person picketing at an abortion clinic. That's just silly.

I'm always of the feeling that if people want to know about your religion, they will come and ask someone, or go to church and ask. Testifying, for many people, is annoying and irritating, and oftentimes spreads more negativity than what the intent is. I've never been a fan of spouting off things about my religion without being asked.

But you're right -- I'm not trying to compare testifying to picketing abortion clinics , I was stating things from the top of my head that many people find annoying about established religion. I apologize if what I said gave that impression (which it did). Wasn't what I was trying to say.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 04-06-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:00 PM   #42
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm always of the feeling that if people want to know about your religion, they will come and ask someone, or go to church and ask. Testifying, for many people, is annoying and irritating, and oftentimes spreads more negativity than what the intent is. I've never been a fan of spouting off things about my religion without being asked.

You're right -- I'm not trying to compare testifying to picketing abortion clinics , I was stating things from the top of my head that many people find annoying about established religion.

Yes, I agree with you there - going up to strangers and friends and saying, "Have you heard the good news about Jesus?" probably is a little annoying.

However, when I refer to testifying - I include day-to-day things...e.g. through church we have found an outstanding therapist for my son specializing in Asperger's syndrome - something very few doctors/therapists know anything about. Quite literally, it was a Godsend. So, when people ask me how my son is doing, I have no problem "testifying" that God has delivered an incredible therapist who has been instrumental in helping us find the right methods and teachings to help my son fit into everyday society. To me, that's an opportunity to testify - moreso than wearing a rainbow wig and a John 3:16 shirt. But, you know what, both may be equally effective, so who knows.
how do you know?

Old 04-07-2007, 12:26 PM   #43
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

Quote:

I take you to mean people who go to abortion clinics and call names and generally make horses' behinds of themselves. These people damage their own cause and make their Savior look bad in the process. There are, in fact, other people who picket abortion clinics who march quietly holding signs with non-aggressive slogans, and offer help with other alternatives. Would these people also be acting like fools?

Say that you believe that humanity begins before birth. What does that mean is happening to actual humans in abortion clinics every day? Even if you don't believe in God and the Bible, doesn't it then seem like a good thing to once in a while go stand outside one of these places and politely say "Hey, you might not want to do this"? To me that seems more like acting on an obligation than acting like a fool.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but in the above quote and another post you seem contemptous of people who would do this.
Uncle Briggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #44
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Briggs View Post
I take you to mean people who go to abortion clinics and call names and generally make horses' behinds of themselves. These people damage their own cause and make their Savior look bad in the process. There are, in fact, other people who picket abortion clinics who march quietly holding signs with non-aggressive slogans, and offer help with other alternatives. Would these people also be acting like fools?

Yes. Marching outside an abortion clinic in an attempt to badger poor women who are already making a decision that has to be incredibly tough and heartbreaking IS acting like a fool, despite your personal beliefs. Don't matter whether the picketing is "non-aggressive" or not, your very presence is causing more hardship on the women who choose to go in there.

Quote:
Say that you believe that humanity begins before birth. What does that mean is happening to actual humans in abortion clinics every day? Even if you don't believe in God and the Bible, doesn't it then seem like a good thing to once in a while go stand outside one of these places and politely say "Hey, you might not want to do this"? To me that seems more like acting on an obligation than acting like a fool.

No. You or anyone else do not have the right to try and force your personal beliefs on others, ESPECIALLY in this case. Regardless of what your stance is on abortion, picketing in front of clinics is wrong.

Quote:
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but in the above quote and another post you seem contemptous of people who would do this.

I absolutely am. I feel abortion pickers are the lowest form of "Christians" I can think of. I'm not in favor of abortion, but I'm not gonna press my beliefs on a poor soul going through an incredibly hard decision. I don't know her situation, I don't know the circumstances as to why she's there, and I sure as hell am not going to make whatever they're going through that much worse by a guilt trip.

So, yes, I LOATHE those who choose to picket in front of abortion clinics. They make ALL Christians look bad.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 04-07-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:35 PM   #45
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

I concur.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 01:41 PM   #46
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
It's really not a bad article but it's flawed for two reasons. For one, it's entirely too broad - when I think of Christianity I don't think of any of the names listed in the article. They may have the most publicity but I think of people I've came in direct contact with, or people who have touched others I know. People involved who bust their ass and even give up the floor if there is someone there who has something they need to say - which reaches a myriad of different topics. All in all, those people may only get to a small number of people in the big scheme of things, but when it's all over the country - even the world, it's not that small of a number especially when those people talk with others and so forth, it's just not plastered all over the media monster of today.

Seems like the point was to call out the leaders and others with a big media presence. I feel safe in saying that most people think most Christians are decent folk who are doing decent things. The sad fact (as in most situations) is that the bad stuff gets all the press. The vocal minor shouldn't be making the decent majority look bad and they are rightly being called out for doing so.

Quote:
Secondly, this practically could be said about any religion, or any non-religion for that matter. Because it's not really even about what the religion stands for, it's simply how the media portrays what the religion is about, that includes some of the people named in the article, not just outlets. You could call several religions for singling in and caring too much about certain subjects, and you could say the same for others that don't care at all about anything.

I could be wrong, but I also think the author of the article is pointing fingers at his own group and telling them to do better. It is easy to point fingers at others, but it is quite different (and more effective) to stand up to your own group and say we need to do better.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #47
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

Quote:
Yes. Marching outside an abortion clinic in an attempt to badger poor women who are already making a decision that has to be incredibly tough and heartbreaking IS acting like a fool, despite your personal beliefs. Don't matter whether the picketing is "non-aggressive" or not, your very presence is causing more hardship on the women who choose to go in there.

No. You or anyone else do not have the right to try and force your personal beliefs on others, ESPECIALLY in this case. Regardless of what your stance is on abortion, picketing in front of clinics is wrong.

I absolutely am. I feel abortion pickers are the lowest form of "Christians" I can think of. I'm not in favor of abortion, but I'm not gonna press my beliefs on a poor soul going through an incredibly hard decision. I don't know her situation, I don't know the circumstances as to why she's there, and I sure as hell am not going to make whatever they're going through that much worse by a guilt trip.

So, yes, I LOATHE those who choose to picket in front of abortion clinics. They make ALL Christians look bad.

(Not intending to sound sarcastic) You're awfully tough on people peacefully expressing their beliefs in a public place.

But we seem to have an agree to disagree situation. I'm curious why you feel this way (and so adamantly), but I don't want this to become an argument so I'll let it drop. Sorry if I upset you.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #48
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
(Not intending to sound sarcastic) You're awfully tough on people peacefully expressing their beliefs in a public place.

The problem is that people who "express their beliefs" like this affects others negatively, and the do it under the guise of Christianity, which (IMO) makes ALL Christians look bad because of a few bad apples.

Quote:
But we seem to have an agree to disagree situation. I'm curious why you feel this way (and so adamantly), but I don't want this to become an argument so I'll let it drop. Sorry if I upset you.

You didn't upset me. This is how I normally write.

I don't have any personal experience with knowing anyone who went to an abortion clinic. I just try and imagine if a close relative or loved one had to make a decision like that. If there were people picketing as she entered, I'd want to punch out the people who were doing it.

Personal expression has a limit. You can get your point about being against abortion across in ways other than guilting those who have to make that decision.

Last edited by WVUFAN : 04-07-2007 at 02:10 PM. Reason: forgot a word.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #49
Uncle Briggs
Mascot

Quote:
The problem is that people who "express their beliefs" like this affects others negatively, and the do it under the guise of Christianity, which (IMO) makes ALL Christians look bad because of a few bad apples.
Personal expression has a limit. You can get your point about being against abortion across in ways other than guilting those who have to make that decision.

I wish you were right; I'm afraid you're not. My preference would be that my Christian responsibilities only consisted of living the best life I can and setting an example. I never liked (still don't) being corrected or told I was wrong, and would prefer not to do so to others. Our culture says "it's not my place to tell him how to live". But the Bible says if you don't try to help your neighbor see when he's messing up, then you bear part of the blame. Unfortunately, this has led to a lot of acts and statements that while well-intentioned were poorly executed, and had also drawn in a few people who really just like to be obnoxious. The problem is to find ways to make unpleasant (even unwanted) truths clear in a respectful and loving way that does not alienate the other person.

Unfortunately, sometimes the other person will feel bad. Poorly paraphrased example: a man came to Jesus and asked what he needed to do to get into Heaven. Jesus says (after a short conversation with other details) to sell all his stuff and give the money to the poor. The man left "with a heavy heart" because he had a lot of stuff. Now to me, "with a heavy heart" says the guy probably felt pretty bad when he left.

That's my rambling $.02 worth, anyway. You of course should do what you are led to do; you (obviously) aren't answerable to me.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:05 PM   #50
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
I wish you were right; I'm afraid you're not. My preference would be that my Christian responsibilities only consisted of living the best life I can and setting an example. I never liked (still don't) being corrected or told I was wrong, and would prefer not to do so to others. Our culture says "it's not my place to tell him how to live". But the Bible says if you don't try to help your neighbor see when he's messing up, then you bear part of the blame. Unfortunately, this has led to a lot of acts and statements that while well-intentioned were poorly executed, and had also drawn in a few people who really just like to be obnoxious. The problem is to find ways to make unpleasant (even unwanted) truths clear in a respectful and loving way that does not alienate the other person.

Unfortunately, sometimes the other person will feel bad. Poorly paraphrased example: a man came to Jesus and asked what he needed to do to get into Heaven. Jesus says (after a short conversation with other details) to sell all his stuff and give the money to the poor. The man left "with a heavy heart" because he had a lot of stuff. Now to me, "with a heavy heart" says the guy probably felt pretty bad when he left.

That's my rambling $.02 worth, anyway. You of course should do what you are led to do; you (obviously) aren't answerable to me.

Wow. I honestly disagree with everything you said in this post.

Yeah, we're gonna agree to disagree. Anything more will turn into an argument, and I have a feeling neither one of us will change our minds on this.