Old 03-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'll wait for Tecmo Super Bowl.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I wish Tecmo would add free agency and a draft to the game and give us a version with fake players and generic uniforms that can be edited.

You know, come to think of it, thats what I want Jim's next project to be. A Tecmo Super Bowl game with all the fixings.

Its too bad Ultimate Tecmo Super Bowl never panned out.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 06:58 PM   #4
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Does anyone else still remember the password from the first time they ever got to the Tecmo Bowl?

11AFFBA7, bitches!
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #5
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Alright guys. Tecmo's time has come and gone. Y'all and Bill Simmon can STFU now about it ok?
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Ok, after the last post, I think I'm going to stop drinking. Wife's home in less than 90 minutes, so gotta start cleaning up here.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Does anyone else still remember the password from the first time they ever got to the Tecmo Bowl?

11AFFBA7, bitches!

You remember all those f'd up passwords? The 8's looked like B's, the 0's looked like O's, the 6's looked like G's, etc. The best was figuring out the password for something that displayed like: 60B8BG6.

Or maybe I had a shitty TV back then (13" from K-Mart, still have it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:26 AM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Alright guys. Tecmo's time has come and gone. Y'all and Bill Simmon can STFU now about it ok?

it's honestly still the best football video game ever made. nothing has caputred some degree of realism but with a ton of fun and simplicity.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
it's honestly still the best football video game ever made. nothing has caputred some degree of realism but with a ton of fun and simplicity.

So think many others. I was just yanking your chain anyways.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:14 AM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
So think many others. I was just yanking your chain anyways.

I thought maybe. It's such a shame really though that nothing has been able to capture the fun like that game did, and the cinema cutaway scenes were totally brilliant. I just wonder if maybe realism can only go to point X before it starts sucking away the fun as it further increases.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:01 AM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
I thought maybe. It's such a shame really though that nothing has been able to capture the fun like that game did, and the cinema cutaway scenes were totally brilliant. I just wonder if maybe realism can only go to point X before it starts sucking away the fun as it further increases.

I don't think it's the realism that 'sucks away the fun.'

I think it's the fact that complexity grows with that realism. Look at football. As the graphics have gotten better, the attention to detail has had to grow to maintain the suspension of disbelief. That means football players now have to be able to juke, stiffarm, spin, leap, etc.

And, of course, absent some kind of context-sensitive controls that allow you to accomplish those things with one button press, that means that controls get more complicated as technology progresses.

The realism contributes, because without that you don't have the pressure to add all sorts of bells and whistles to keep your audience enthralled, but I don't think it's the main cause.

My 7th grade science teacher once said that it isn't HIV that kills someone - it's the piggyback diseases that take advantage of the weakened immune system.

Same principle here, IMO. The realism isn't reducing the fun factor; what it's doing is opening the door for other elements to do that.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 06:23 AM   #12
bob
College Starter

I also think that when a gamer is supposed to be more realistic, we have a tendency to not overlook the flaws as we would have in the more simple game.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:17 AM   #13
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
You remember all those f'd up passwords? The 8's looked like B's, the 0's looked like O's, the 6's looked like G's, etc. The best was figuring out the password for something that displayed like: 60B8BG6.

Or maybe I had a shitty TV back then (13" from K-Mart, still have it).

Not all of them -- just the first time. After playing two-player for so long, a friend and I finally took the time to run the gauntlet. We played as Seattle, and ended up facing Cleveland in the Tecmo Bowl (seemed like 50% of the time it would be them). Seattle ruled -- you could block extra points and FGs better than New York, and they had the inexplicable purple jerseys. But anyway, after going through the one time, I used that password to play a lot, so I guess I remember it from that. But the rest? Not at all.
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #14
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I still say Tecmo could have made millions by just re-releasing Tecmo each year with new rosters. Like you wouldn't pay $50 a year just to see what LT2 was like in Tecmo.

Now that EA has an exclusive contract, the dream is dead.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:40 PM   #15
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I re-iterate.. Generic editable rosters. I would pay even 100 dollars for a tecmo game with all the bells and whistles, because it really is still the best football game ever made. Think of the online coach-only leagues we could have..

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote