Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: When will you buy OOTP 5?
On release, baby! Markus is god! 30 36.14%
Eagerly waiting on the reviews before buying 15 18.07%
Let 'em patch the inevitiable bugs, then I'll buy 18 21.69%
Heck no, I'm not buying 8 9.64%
Probably not, I'm saving for CM4 12 14.46%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-22-2003, 12:19 PM   #1
Blackadar
Retired

OOTP 5 Release - February 28th

OOTP 5 will be released on February 28th.

If I remember correctly, there were some pretty serious bugs in last year's launch that we later patched. I like OOTP 4, but for some it was all but unplayable before being patched.

Are you buying it on release, after reviews, after being patched or not at all?

By the way, give me a break on the poll - it's my first.

Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 12:26 PM   #2
korme
Go Reds

FUCK YEAH! OOTP5 will be on my harddrive the moment I get home from school!
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 12:26 PM   #3
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm buying it on the day of release, but I thought Markus was German.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:33 PM   #4
vex
Grizzled Veteran

CM4 seems like it might do well.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 12:34 PM   #5
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

Haha the demo for CM4 I think is supposed to come out that day.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:46 PM   #6
Schmidty
Coordinator

I really wish I could like CM more. It's just too much micro-management for me. Add in the fact that I don't really understand soccer, waaay too many player attributes, and the lack of guidlines or explainations for complicated things like formations, and the game just isn't enjoyable to me.

Hopefully CM4 will be a little more accessable, because I'd love to get into, and enjoy such a deep game.
Old 02-22-2003, 12:50 PM   #7
FBPro
College Starter

I got into CM for awhile, but not understanding all the player movement crap it didn't last long.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 12:57 PM   #8
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Hattrick might be a good start for everyone
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 01:02 PM   #9
Bad-example
College Starter

I will wait for a demo to see if the interface is improved enough to make it worth buying.
Drinking like a lumberjack and singing Delta Dawn
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 01:04 PM   #10
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by HornedFrog Purple
Haha the demo for CM4 I think is supposed to come out that day.

The CM beta demo is supposed to be out that day. It should be fairly stable, but will be missing some features since it's based off the beta and not the gold master.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:05 PM   #11
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by vexroid
Hattrick might be a good start for everyone

Played it, heck I've coached soccer but don't know all of the "professional" player move guidelines and stuff...besides I don't like a game that I can ONLY play "on the web". I'll probably end up getting CM and playing it for a week....but my $$ is on OOTP this week.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:08 PM   #12
Anthony
Banned

i was actually expecting it to come out the first week of March, so even though .400 exceeded my expecatations - always a good thing - i will be patient, and by it the first weekend of March. by then all the horrible show-stopping bugs should be eliminated, and i'll be able to download a workable game.

after that i'll update with the newer patches while i'm in-game. but i just want to make sure i can get it to work.

these are games, meant for enjoyment. i'm getting out of the habit of being impatient and grabbing things first chance i get and being disapointed so easily. if i'm gonna get frustrated from a game it's not worth it. i can wait.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 01:17 PM   #13
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I've got a trip that weekend with kids, and I'll therefore be very busy all day that day. I wouldn't be able to play until Sunday anyway, so I'll wait until I come home on Sunday and read the reports on here.
Old 02-22-2003, 01:30 PM   #14
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Because I've never really enjoyed playing OOTP solo anyway (which goes for all sports sims since I started playing CM), I will more then likely wait a few weeks after release. Then, once I know all the bugs have been fixed, or if the leagues I am in are about to make the switch, I'll then purchase OOTP5.

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 01:38 PM   #15
Easy Mac

Definitely a wait and see. There needs to be a strong sing;e-player game here this time. Right now it just feels like there is too much customizatoin and not enough actual baseball to manage/GM. Hopefully this can be corrected.

And given the debacle of the TDCB release, and the almost 2 months of patches to get it stable for everyone, I am definitely waiting for a while to make sure that doesn't happen again.

And would it really hurt to release a demo before you release the game? The fanboys will buy it regardless, but at least let those on the fence get a feel for it without having to wait a month (TDCB demo) to play anything without buying.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 02:12 PM   #16
andy m
High School Varsity

i'm only buying for multiplayer so will wait until the leagues i am in require it.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:17 PM   #17
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

CM4 gets the nod before OOTP5.
Old 02-22-2003, 04:22 PM   #18
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I'm going to wait until at least after the party in Atlanta. If I can win it for free I know it will fit into the family budget.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 04:36 PM   #19
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
I'm going to wait until at least after the party in Atlanta. If I can win it for free I know it will fit into the family budget.

True. I wish I could make it to Atlanta.
Old 02-22-2003, 05:08 PM   #20
tucker342
Pro Starter

I'm going to wait until I hear some reviews. I also hope they improve the single-player
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 05:34 PM   #21
Jets80
High School Varsity

I just now got back into playing OOTP4......I cant wait for 5.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 06:51 PM   #22
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally posted by SkyDog
I've got a trip that weekend with kids, and I'll therefore be very busy all day that day. I wouldn't be able to play until Sunday anyway, so I'll wait until I come home on Sunday and read the reports on here.

Does that mean I'll have to start the obligatory "Alright Boyz..." thread?

Actually, I'll d/l it that night after taking my wife to the airport and putting The Kid to sleep. But I won't be getting into a real in-depth career off the bat, because like I did last year, I'll be focusing on the "25 season" macro-view of the game. I'll be concentrating on player development over the course of decades to see how it looks. Since Marcus says that he's changed the game to make the BB/K ratio issues mirror real-life (among other things), I'll also be paying close attention to that as well. I suspect those will be my primary reports for the first week or so. After that, once the first patch or two is released, I'll be ready to get down to business.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 06:54 PM   #23
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Is there a pre-order for a discount this year?
Old 02-22-2003, 07:21 PM   #24
FBPro
College Starter

Not that I have seen.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:33 PM   #25
Daimyo
College Starter

If it wasn't for the multiplayer I wouldn't even consider buying it. As it is, I'll be buying it when/if my league decides to upgrade.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 07:45 PM   #26
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup

Actually, I'll d/l it that night after taking my wife to the airport and putting The Kid to sleep. But I won't be getting into a real in-depth career off the bat, because like I did last year, I'll be focusing on the "25 season" macro-view of the game. I'll be concentrating on player development over the course of decades to see how it looks. Since Marcus says that he's changed the game to make the BB/K ratio issues mirror real-life (among other things), I'll also be paying close attention to that as well. I suspect those will be my primary reports for the first week or so. After that, once the first patch or two is released, I'll be ready to get down to business.

The sounds good, I'll be anixious to hear your reports. Could you also keep on eye on the financials, that's what I hear are the most significant changes.

I'm sure the server will be busy on Friday so I'll wait a few days to download. I rarely buy games upon release anymore (I think Medieval was the last one) and OOTP5 will be no exception. I have to get it because JBL will be going there but would rather have it go through some analyses first to see how the changes will impact the league and for a key patch or two.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2003, 07:49 PM   #27
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

I'm pumped... OOTP5 and payday on the same day. That will actually help me save money since I'll have my ass glued in front of the computer all night.
Old 02-22-2003, 07:51 PM   #28
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I really hope that expectations are not unrealitically high. It is much better to go with lower expectations and be pleasantly surprised than the other way around (which we have seen way too much of).
Old 02-22-2003, 09:33 PM   #29
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
SOMEONE had better do it!!!

Ksyrup, I'll be VERY interested to read your report. The good news is that version 5 has a "play multiple seasons" function. You might want to consider downloading around noon and just letting it run until you can look at it Friday night.

Heck, I might end up DL'ing it myself on Friday afternoon and just letting it run all weekend!
Old 02-22-2003, 09:57 PM   #30
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Well, I won't be anywhere near my home computer from Friday morning until Friday night, so I'll have to wait to download it until then. But I will most definitely let it run all night Friday night.

Since I've got The Kid all to myself, I suspect I won't even get a chance to look at any results until Saturday night, so I might just let it run for 24 hours! I guess it depends on the seasons/hour rate on my machine. It would be cool to have 100 seasons done in 24 hours, although in a real career, I would never sim in such a huge block of seasons, because I like to keep track of what's going on and adjust HR rates, manipulate hitter/pitcher dominance eras, etc., to give the league some character.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 12:16 AM   #31
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldenEagle
CM4 gets the nod before OOTP5.

Not possible for anything relating to hockey to ever get the nod before something, even if it's crap, about baseball.

Tarkus
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 06:21 AM   #32
oykib
College Starter

I'll wade through the 900-post thread that results from all the early purchasers. If it's not to buggy, then I'll pick it up.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:36 AM   #33
andy m
High School Varsity

be sure to switch your fanboy radar on before reading those threads. there will be plenty of:

"the game reformatted my hard drive and caused my real life wife to leave me. but i don't mind because of the new [insert pointless new feature that doesn't enhance the game]! thanks markus, great job!"

type posts.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:15 AM   #34
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by andy m
be sure to switch your fanboy radar on before reading those threads. there will be plenty of:

"the game reformatted my hard drive and caused my real life wife to leave me. but i don't mind because of the new [insert pointless new feature that doesn't enhance the game]! thanks markus, great job!"

type posts.

Gosh ya know, why actually wait and see how the game is let's just trash the game, customers and developer now ahead of time...
Old 02-23-2003, 09:32 AM   #35
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Yeah, no doubt. I don't think I have ever, personally, seen anything remotely close to that. I realize dude is exaggerating for some kind of effect, but why rag on those guys so openly? Markus and crew, at least to me, seem to really care. Why don't we encourage that? It's just like everyone slagging on Jim around here. At least you have *people* to talk about, who sometimes interact with you. You could have to depend on the big houses to roll out games, and rarely will you get ANY interaction with the people behind the products.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 09:39 AM   #36
FBPro
College Starter

IMO, some just think bashing a developer, fanboy or whoever makes them some kinda "cyber-bada$$"....... what a joke.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:11 AM   #37
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tekneek
I realize dude is exaggerating for some kind of effect, but why rag on those guys so openly?

Because andy m is anti-everything.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:17 AM   #38
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

You know that reminds me, the ignore function doesn't work if someone quotes the person being ignored.
Old 02-23-2003, 11:29 AM   #39
FBPro
College Starter

Sorry about that.....
Old 02-23-2003, 11:38 AM   #40
moore4807
n00b

Its True! Its True

Damn straight Anrhydeddu! ROFLMAO!!!
moore4807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 08:25 PM   #41
Blackadar
Retired

We have 26 potential "victims" thus far. The good thing is that Markus has come through with great patches in the past.
Old 02-26-2003, 12:22 PM   #42
McSweeny
College Starter

buuuuuuump

i don't have to work until 6pm on friday so i'll try and put the game through it's paces early and let you guys know what's up
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote