Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-28-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Vanguard: Anyone Try This?

Has anyone tried Vanguard? I thought that I remember hearing glowing previews about it but it has been released rather quietly so I am assuming that it has not lived up to it's original billing.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with the game?

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 AM   #2
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Has anyone tried Vanguard? I thought that I remember hearing glowing previews about it but it has been released rather quietly so I am assuming that it has not lived up to it's original billing.

Does anyone have any hands on experience with the game?

I got into the closed beta, and even though my system met the requirements, it was so doggone laggy and broken for "minimum requirement" systems I gave up.

I heard it's all style, no substance, though.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:11 AM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

From what I heard, it was released WAY too early, to the point that the designer is being called out because it's a paid beta
Old 02-28-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Dola: Here's the most clear and direct condemnation of the game:

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/30435
Old 02-28-2007, 02:41 AM   #5
Brillig
College Prospect

Everything SOE touches turns to crap. (I know SOE only came in at the 11th hour, but that's my story and I'm stickin to it!)
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:23 AM   #6
CraigSca
Pro Starter

I read the same thing about lag and it reminds me a lot of EQ1 and EQ2. Even a state of the art PC (at the time), both games suffered from extreme lag in certain situations.

I really can't explain it, other than poor programming (?). Why are WoW and LotR so non-taxing on systems of today and yet still have very nice graphics, while the EQ guys just can't seem to figure it out?
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 AM   #7
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I got a 10-day buddy pass from my friend. On average graphic settings, I got about 15-20 fps at any given time, compared to 35-40 in LotR Online.

At this point in time I would say the beta of LotR Online right now is better than Vanguard at its launch. Though both games have their good and bad points.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #8
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I was in the closed beta as well. Exceptionally buggy and laggy.

EQ style gameplay, and EQ style timesinks. Not even close to my cup of tea.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #9
Atocep
Coordinator

I have some friends that played beta and they said its basically an updated EQ1. Which would have been good 5 years or so ago, but the MMO market has passed Brad McQuaid by. More people are playing MMOs now and to be successful now you just can't have the number of insanely stupid time sinks the original EQ had when there are other MMOs people can go out and choose from.

They've tried to market it as a hard core MMO, but I'm not buying it. Losing enormous amounts of xp for dying and then running back to my corpse naked aren't things I find fun. Also, with the number of players that are playing MMOs now, instanced dungeons are a must.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #10
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I thought this thread was going to be about mutual funds.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:11 PM   #11
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Sounds like I made the right move by letting it stay on the shelf at the store.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
Marathoner
High School JV

Wonderful, it is very easy to manage my stock portfolio and IRA there. I especially like their on-line trading. Go John Bogle!
Marathoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 11:48 AM   #13
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It seems like Vanguard is really trying to improve itself, they've been putting out a lot of patches to fix things and their first content patch is going in next week I believe, remodding several dungeons, adding a ton of new weapon and armor art, and so on. I played the beta and to be honest there is a lot of potential in this game, they just need to fix the performance problems and other bugs. The end result will be a pretty damn good game I think,
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:04 PM   #14
STK
H.S. Freshman Team

I enjoy this game a lot. Before upgrading my video card to a NVIDIA 8800 a couple months back, the performance was pretty bad - basically unplayable. Now I'm getting 40+ FPS even in the busiest of areas.

Having extensively played most MMORPGS dating back to Ultima Online, it is refreshing to play a game where gaining levels is actually a challenge.
STK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #15
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Interesting - I've heard nothing but bad about this game, but my first MMORPG-love was with EQ. I find the newer games to be so dumbed down that I get bored with them too quickly. Maybe I should give this a shot...
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #16
Peregrine
Pro Starter

If anyone is interested in trying Vanguard out, this weekend is a good time, Saturday early morning through Monday sometime is a double xp weekend, all monsters you kill give you double their normal value.
Old 03-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #17
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Damn, I thought you meant this:

hxxp://www.breaktaker.com/displayimage.php?pos=-1145
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:04 PM   #18
Rizon
Pro Starter

I just have to say "vanguard" is one of the coolest words in the English language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:54 PM   #19
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

I'm tempted because it is a McQuaid/Butler production. Those guys got SO much right with the original EQ, that this is the MMO game that I've been most anticipating.

That said. I'm really not into time sinks, and the competitive model of, this "uber-for-now" item only drops off this guy who spawns in room X every Y hours, or once out of tweny room pops, is one of the things I don't care for.

I'm keeping my eye on this one, and hope they turn things around.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #20
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post

That said. I'm really not into time sinks, and the competitive model of, this "uber-for-now" item only drops off this guy who spawns in room X every Y hours, or once out of tweny room pops, is one of the things I don't care for.

The exact things I hated about EQ. Really kills my interest. A friend was trying to get me into it, but there just no way. Instanced dungeons are the only way to go.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #21
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post

I'm keeping my eye on this one, and hope they turn things around.

This is where I think MMOs have passed McQuaid by. People just don't want to have to fight over spawn points. When MMOs first came out it was pretty much only the 'hardcore' players that played, so time sinks weren't as big of an issue with them. However, to be a successful MMO game now, you have have a balance of instant gratification and long term rewards. I don't think McQuaid has caught on to that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
The exact things I hated about EQ. Really kills my interest. A friend was trying to get me into it, but there just no way. Instanced dungeons are the only way to go.

When I first played WoW after playing EQ and DAoC for the longest time, I hated the idea of instanced dungeons. But after playinging a game where you can put a group together in a matter of minutes and go straight to the dungeon you want to go to and not have to compete over kills, I agree, its the only way to go now.
Atocep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 10:01 PM   #22
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

I think with Kunark, they started to make corrections to the original camping formula. More of that came along with future expansions, but those were post McQuaid IIRC.

One of McQuad's gaming principles is to fix problems with the genre, not just create complete work arounds. I think instancing is more of a fix...he believes that instancing is a cheap and easy work around. Hopefully they have figured out a way to actually correct the problems presented by camping and endless grinding while sitting in a relatively safe location. This principle was one of the things that Verant/EQ forgot first, once McQuaid left. When mechanics were broken, they were removed, rather than fixed.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:18 AM   #23
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Well I signed up this weekend and had a great time playing my sorceror and shaman. I have to say I did not experience a single crash all weekend, and FPS was great (I do have a pretty high end machine though.) The only problem I experienced was a guild bug which wasn't too bad. I enjoy the game, there are a lot of neat locations to explore and a lot of fun things to do, I'm working on diplomacy at the moment and convincing various NPCs to do things.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:06 PM   #24
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Bumping this because... I have 10 triall keys available if anyone is interested.

This is for a 10-day trial of the game. Send a pm and I'll send you a key.

The game is in much better shape now, and subscriber numbers are actually up. I just picked up a limited edition of the game on ebay for 8 bucks, and already have a station pass so it was a pretty good deal.

http://vanguard.station.sony.com/

Last edited by Yellow5 : 03-29-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Yellow5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #25
Flasch186
Coordinator

is this a TCG? I miss the WWF card game they had. I used to love that thing. Why'd that die anyways?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 03-29-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote