Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Billy Joel 1, QS 0

overheard at the DD household last night...

"Daddy, what song are they singing?"
"It's the National Anthem, Graham"
"Oh" *long pause* "I don't know what that is"
"Well, it's the song for our country"
"You mean, it's country music?"
"Something like that..."
"Good. I love country music"

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:02 AM   #2
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Billy Joel can sing any kind of music, and he does it with a sincerity and passion that makes you believe he was born to sing that particular kind of music.

Ain't that right, QS?

I didn't even turn on the game until about a minute before kickoff, so I missed Mr. Joel, sadly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:05 AM   #3
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Billy Joel can sing any kind of music, and he does it with a sincerity and passion that makes you believe he was born to sing that particular kind of music.

Ain't that right, QS?

I didn't even turn on the game until about a minute before kickoff, so I missed Mr. Joel, sadly.

As someone that doesn't mind Billy Joel, I thought it was pretty bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
Ksyrup

Even the best have off nights now and then.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 02-05-2007, 07:21 AM   #6
QuikSand
lolzcat

I demand a recount.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #7
rowech
Pro Starter

I love Billy Joel but he was terrible last night.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:33 AM   #8
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

At least he had the stones to sing it live and not go pre-recorded. He sounded horrible, but he gets props for doing it right.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #9
Ksyrup

If a professional singer sounds horrible, you can only give them so much credit for "keeping it real," can't you? I guess the decision to take the girls out to play in the snow after dinner paid off doubly for me - quality family time AND didn't have to hear BJ sing.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:39 AM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

I don't think he has the voice for that type of song, to be honest...
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:40 AM   #11
cuervo72
Head Coach

Were it an audition, Simon would have ripped him apart.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:42 AM   #12
Bee
Pro Starter

I don't hate Billy Joel or anything, but who thought he was a good choice to sing the National Anthem? I'm no expert but on first hearing he was doing it I thought it was a bad choice.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:59 AM   #13
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Stevie Nicks,Billy Joel, and Prince.

Just who the hell does the NFL think is watching this game?
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:59 AM   #14
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I would've rather have heard Christie Brinkley sing it.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #15
Rizon
Pro Starter

Billy Joel was very, very off last night. My wife made a comment about how she hoped he wasn't driving.

*rimshot*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:17 AM   #16
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post

Who knows. I'm also not sure what was up with that pregame show with all those hippie banner things and people dancing around. That was just some awful junk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #17
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
At least he had the stones to sing it live and not go pre-recorded. He sounded horrible, but he gets props for doing it right.

If he was going to sound that bad, I would have rather he pre-recorded.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:26 AM   #18
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh - Stevie was pretty bad too. Definitely doesn't have the voice she used to.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:28 AM   #19
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:

Prince kicked ass, yo.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #20
Ksyrup

Actually, the answer to that question is... nearly everyone in the world is watching, and particularly that would include a bunch of 30-50 year olds who grew up listening to those acts and who have far more disposable income than teens and college kids.

Maybe JIMG can back me on this one, but that's why this makes sense. Same for whatever commercial used The Final Countdown music last night, too.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:45 AM   #21
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Just to show how different I am from the rest of this board and why I wonder why I even bother sometimes: I thought he did a decent job. Not only did he have the stones to sing it live, he sang it live while getting soaked by the rain. And I thought he sang it reasonably well. Especially compared to all those pop stars who have to make the song "theirs" and ruin it.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post
Billy Joel was very, very off last night. My wife made a comment about how she hoped he wasn't driving.

*rimshot*

Or polishing any furniture.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:50 AM   #23
Bee
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Oh - Stevie was pretty bad too. Definitely doesn't have the voice she used to.

I blame the 5 people she was smuggling into the game stuffed in her dress.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:51 AM   #24
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I love Billy Joel and thought it was terrible. I agree that I thought he was a bad choice for the anthem.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 08:53 AM   #25
Ksyrup

Since the topic has turned to Stevie Nicks, it's always worthwhile to drudge this site back up:

hxxp://www.johannas-art.com/colourprints.htm
Old 02-05-2007, 09:00 AM   #26
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Just to show how different I am from the rest of this board and why I wonder why I even bother sometimes: I thought he did a decent job. Not only did he have the stones to sing it live, he sang it live while getting soaked by the rain. And I thought he sang it reasonably well. Especially compared to all those pop stars who have to make the song "theirs" and ruin it.

I don't know how you can say he wasn't bad. If it was some ammateur or American Idol hopeful I'd say it was ok. But for a supposedly accomplished musician like Joel, it was terrible - without or without the rain (which btw, I'm not sure how that effects singing - just take Prince's performance as an example where it was raining MUCH harder).

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 02-05-2007, 09:22 AM   #27
RedKingGold
College Starter

I think he sounded worse than he actually was because acoustic pianos are not meant to be out in the rain, making him sound more pitchy than he actually was.

However, its no excuse. It was a poor decision to follow through with having a piano out in the middle of the field. Joel's handlers should have figured out some other way to get Billy to sing without the accompaniment.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #28
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
I think he sounded worse than he actually was because acoustic pianos are not meant to be out in the rain, making him sound more pitchy than he actually was.

However, its no excuse. It was a poor decision to follow through with having a piano out in the middle of the field. Joel's handlers should have figured out some other way to get Billy to sing without the accompaniment.

A wet piano makes Joel's voice out of tune?

Quote:
Old 02-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #29
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
A wet piano makes Joel's voice out of tune?

To the casual observer at home who does not know much about music; the out-of-tune piano exaceberated the pitchiness as there was a basis of comparison between his notes and the piano's notes.

Basically, a gap between two notes is extremely noticable to an untrained ear whereas a gap between three notes (or half depending on key) is aestheically pleasing if actually wrong.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:45 AM   #30
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
To the casual observer at home who does not know much about music; the out-of-tune piano exaceberated the pitchiness as there was a basis of comparison between his notes and the piano's notes.

Basically, a gap between two notes is extremely noticable to an untrained ear whereas a gap between three notes (or half depending on key) is aestheically pleasing if actually wrong.

All fine and good.

Point still stands that the Piano didn't make him out of tune, he was just out of tune. It may have sounded worse because of the Piano, bu tit doesn't change the fact that he was a supposed accomplished music star who was totally out of tune.

Quote:
Old 02-05-2007, 09:47 AM   #31
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Point still stands that the Piano didn't make him out of tune, he was just out of tune. It may have sounded worse because of the Piano, bu tit doesn't change the fact that he was a supposed accomplished music star who was totally out of tune.

Agreed. Although I'm surprised how many people (Peter King, Don Banks, basically everyone over at SI) really liked his performance last night. Maybe it sounded better live?

If they were watching what I was watching, Joel was noticably bad (piano and voice).
Old 02-05-2007, 09:51 AM   #32
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Agreed. Although I'm surprised how many people (Peter King, Don Banks, basically everyone over at SI) really liked his performance last night. Maybe it sounded better live?

If they were watching what I was watching, Joel was noticably bad (piano and voice).

SI is tied to CBS, need I say more?

Quote:
Old 02-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #33
Ksyrup

Quote:
SI is tied to CBS, need I say more?

Yes, please. How are they tied - I thought they were tied to CNN, or at least, King tied to NBC. Not to mention, he thought Prince sucked but loved Billy Joel, so that sounds more like he is out of touch than a corporate shill.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-05-2007 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #34
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Yes, please. How are they tied - I thought they were tied to CNN, or at least, King tied to NBC. Not to mention, he thought Prince sucked but loved Billy Joel, so that sounds more like he is out of touch than a corporate shill.

Yeah, I need to back away slowly... I was tying SI to Sportsline instead of CNN, i just botched it..

But yeah, if he loved Joel and hated Prince, I think he just doesn't know what he's talking about (per usual).

Quote:
Old 02-05-2007, 10:56 AM   #35
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I chuckled when I saw it was Billy Joel singing at the start of the game. I thought man Quiksand must be pissed right now.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:18 AM   #36
markprior22
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

Couldn't agree more or say it any better.
markprior22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 11:23 AM   #37
Hurst2112
College Starter

Billy had a helping hand in his performance...

http://www.antarestech.com/products/avp.shtml

Last edited by Hurst2112 : 02-05-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:54 PM   #38
Surtt
College Benchwarmer

Does anyone know how long it was?
It seamed fairly short to me.
The over/under was 1:44.

United States Supreme Court Justice
Louis D. Brandeis
Surtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 04:36 PM   #39
Comey
College Starter

We timed it at 1:38 (and I thought the O/U was 1:42). Either way, I took the under, and was happy with the decision (I did not bet on bodog, but I did take a side there).

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 08:20 AM   #40
Ksyrup

Not sure if this changes the score or not, but this should make QS feel better about his chances of running into a new song from his buddy any time soon.

NEW YORK (Billboard) -- Despite the recent digital release of "All My Life," Billy Joel's first new pop song in 14 years, the singer/songwriter says he doesn't foresee a re-opening of the creative floodgates that led to 33 Top 40 hits.

"I'm not ruling out the possibility of writing songs again," Joel tells Billboard.com. "I suppose if I had the motivation to write a song, I'm not gonna stop myself from doing it.
I just haven't felt the compulsion to write songs in pop form. I guess these days I just think of myself as a composer."

Joel's last album of original material, "River of Dreams," came out in 1993 and concluded with, appropriately, a track called "Famous Last Words." He released a classical album, "Fantasies & Delusions," in 2001.

He says he has "lots of thematic pieces" that he's composed in the Long Island, New York, home he shares with his third wife, culinary journalist Katie Lee Joel.

"All My Life" was something of a surprise. Joel composed it in 2005 as a first anniversary gift for his wife, with hopes that Tony Bennett would record it. He decided to make his own version for their second anniversary -- "Call me a cheapskate," he cracks -- and was surprised when Columbia Records executives campaigned to release it as a digital single.

And if nothing else, he notes, it's given him at least one new song to perform at his shows, although he wraps up his current road trek May 9 in St. Paul, Minnesota, and has no definite plans ahead of him.

"Look," Joel says, "I still love rock 'n' roll. I still love pop music. I haven't divorced myself from the material I wrote before. That's why I'm out here on the road playing this stuff. I still believe in it."
Old 05-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #41
Passacaglia
Coordinator

culinary journalist?
Passacaglia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 12:16 PM   #42
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
culinary journalist?

Billy Joel gives his wife 4 stars!

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote