Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-03-2007, 08:50 AM   #1
Dunleavy
High School JV

EPL Premiership weekend 2/3 *Spoilers*

Liverpool 0-0 Everton

Merseyside derby, big rivals. Both teams will feel they should have scored, Everton had few chances playing a defensive 4-5-1 but they did have the best chance of the match and it fell to their leading scorer Johnson well inside the 18 yard box, he created space from two diving tackles but really didn’t take the chance and the keeper made a nice save with his drag leg. An early goal by Bellamy after a nice 1-2 move was correctly ruled offside, after that Liverpool had plenty of half chances but failed to take any. After a sensational 3-0 victory earlier in the season Everton will take this, they have bragging rights in the city for the year. For Liverpool its two points lost. Man of the Match…Jason Lescott or any Everton defender

Dunleavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
Dunleavy
High School JV

Aston Villa vs West Ham on FSC live right now, Middlesbrough vs always enteraining Arsenal live at noon est, and Man City vs Reading replay after that with recap show after that
Old 02-03-2007, 09:16 AM   #3
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Just let Newcastle demolish Fulham like they bloody well should.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy View Post
Liverpool 0-0 Everton

Merseyside derby, big rivals. Both teams will feel they should have scored, Everton had few chances playing a defensive 4-5-1 but they did have the best chance of the match and it fell to their leading scorer Johnson well inside the 18 yard box, he created space from two diving tackles but really didn’t take the chance and the keeper made a nice save with his drag leg. An early goal by Bellamy after a nice 1-2 move was correctly ruled offside, after that Liverpool had plenty of half chances but failed to take any. After a sensational 3-0 victory earlier in the season Everton will take this, they have bragging rights in the city for the year. For Liverpool its two points lost. Man of the Match…Jason Lescott or any Everton defender

Well done, Everton. F*ck the Red Shites.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
Dunleavy
High School JV

Charlton 0-1 Chelsea

Mild match, Lampard scored early on a well directed blast from outside the 18 yard box. Chelsea had a few chances to kill the match but didn't take any, one of which Carson did make a great save. Charlton had a couple chances to tie both falling to Faye who, like a defensive midfielder, spoiled both. Chelsea were clearyl the better side, good enough today but they didn't look like a team thats going to chase down ManUtd for the title. Charlton are going down, no doubt, squad filled with expereinced premership players but they no have no quailty what so ever

Aston Villa 1-0 West Ham

Missed most of this match but it was more of the same for West Ham (the curse of Steven Gerrard in the FA Final). New signing Carew scored the goal with a cool finish from atop the 18 yard box while West Ham's new signing Upson had to leave with an injury after 30 mins. The Hammers would hit the bar in the games final moments, but a desreved victory for Villa.

Fulham over Newcastle 2-1, sorry Coffee Warlord

Wigan a MUCH needed victory at home over Portsmouth 1-0

New boys Reading impressing again 2-0 at Man City

Bolton over bottom Watford 1-0

A late red card and a late extra time winner for Blackburn 2-1 over Sheff Utd

my boys are up, come on you Gunners!
Old 02-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #6
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Reading continues to amaze me this season.
Old 02-03-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

I always thought Writing was more impressive, but you really can't have good Writing unless you're Reading a lot as well.

I am sorry. That was lame as could be, but I'm at work, and will be so all weekend, so you'll have to deal with it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 02-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I always thought Writing was more impressive, but you really can't have good Writing unless you're Reading a lot as well.

I am sorry. That was lame as could be, but I'm at work, and will be so all weekend, so you'll have to deal with it.

I liked it.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:43 AM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
I liked it.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:

And City continues to...well...be City.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #11
Dunleavy
High School JV

Middlesbrough 1-1 Arsenal

Nothing happen 1st half, Arsenal came out flat. Second half just as they were coming into the game a long ball flick on caught Sendros flat footed, he then made a poor attempt to slow down Yakubu who had a step on him, Yakubu went down really easy looking for a PK, he got it although there are still question if it was a foul and more so that if there was a foul if it was commited outside the box which it appeared to have. a PK was awarded and a Red was given to Sendros, really harsh against Arsenal. From then on the 10 men gunners turned it a up a gear and scored a counter attack goal with a long balll into the box won by Adebayor falling nicely to Henry who cooly finished to tie the game. From there (final 15 minutes) both side had a few attacks but seemed happy enough with a point

Last edited by Dunleavy : 02-03-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #12
bhlloy
Coordinator

No surprise that Riley screws it up again... he's one of the few referees that is so bad that you can't accuse him of being biased because he manages to infuriate both sets of fans every single game. By the laws of the game Senderos had to go, but he didn't even take 2 seconds to go to his linesman and confirm 1) whether the foul was outside the box and 2) whether it was intentional or not. I can live with the red, but a penalty was ridiculous.

Henry makes the game a joy to watch. There can't be many players who wouldn't have tried to blast that into the top corner near post, but his first touch was just flawless and a perfectly controlled finish.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #13
daedalus
Pro Rookie

From some reactions on BS, they seem to have the same sentiment with bhlloy with regards to red (yes, last man) and penalty (no, outside the box).

And Riley sucks dead donkey's 'nads.

He would have managed to take away Arsenal's (deserved!) win against Manchester United, had he not gotten sick and was replaced.
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I think Boro played well at times, but we certainly had some "help". And then we guffed it all up by sitting on our heels after the send off. So we deserved to only get a draw for the official help and for playing not to lose.

All that said, I'll take any points from the Gunners we can get. We can still get to Europe if we continue to play better as we have in the past month or so (cup play aside).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #15
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
And City continues to...well...be City.

You're still above West Ham.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:14 PM   #16
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Reading has been on an amazing run, it would be great to see them get a spot in Europe in their first Season in the EPL!
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #17
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I've been waiting for them to falter all season (much like Wigan last year - start strong, fall off), and they just...haven't.

'Course, it's not ENTIRELY surprising, considering the way they absolutely decimated the competition in the Championship last year.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:57 PM   #18
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
I've been waiting for them to falter all season (much like Wigan last year - start strong, fall off), and they just...haven't.

'Course, it's not ENTIRELY surprising, considering the way they absolutely decimated the competition in the Championship last year.

As a Leicester fan, unfortunately I have had to take more interest in the Championship over the last 3-4 years than the Premier League.

Reading won't collapse - the difference between them and most promoted sides is that they have played good football, Premier league style football for the last few years. So now they actually get more time to play in the EPL than the Championship, they'll do OK.

Having said that, Europe might be one step too far, but they should be in the top tier for a while.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #19
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You and your "small" team suck.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:01 PM   #20
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

whats the EPL team with all the Americans on it?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #21
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
whats the EPL team with all the Americans on it?

Fulham I guess - Dempsey, McBride, Bocanegra...
Reading have 2 - Convey & Hahnemann
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #22
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman View Post

Strange thing for Benitez to day, after all that's a "small" team that absolutely humped Liverpool at Goodison earlier in the season.

Got to question the judgement of anybody who gives Jermaine Pennant a starting place, I guess
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:00 PM   #23
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just watching the Reading game tivo'ed earlier. Shocking decision by the linesman/referee on the disallowed Reading goal in the first half. The guy who headed the ball back wasn't even over the line, so there is no way the whole ball possibly could have been.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:59 PM   #24
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Strange thing for Benitez to day, after all that's a "small" team that absolutely humped Liverpool at Goodison earlier in the season.

Never happened. Lalalalalalalala I can't hear you lalalalalalalala
Old 02-04-2007, 01:14 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

How's that whole Joffery Lupul thing working out for you?

And...

We don't care what the Red Shites say, what the f*ck do we care?
For always know there's gonna be a show when the Everton boys are there!
Old 02-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #26
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
How's that whole Joffery Lupul thing working out for you?

And...

Don't make me bring up the Lions!

And...

Everton fans will never walk alone
cause they'll always be in our shadow
Old 02-04-2007, 04:23 PM   #27
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Let's just agree to not talk about the Man U - Spurs game. youch.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 04:31 PM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Don't make me bring up the Lions!

And...

Everton fans will never walk alone
cause they'll always be in our shadow

Listen, you leave the Lions out of this and I'll leave those pitiful, last place Edmonton Eskimos out of this!

Deal?

Or no deal?
Old 02-04-2007, 04:58 PM   #29
klayman
College Benchwarmer

but but ... the 2005 grey cup
Old 02-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #30
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Charlton 0 Chelsea 1
Spurs 0 Man Utd 4

That says it all

Last edited by Mac Howard : 02-04-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 07:44 PM   #31
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

I love it when Americans act like they're from Britain. It makes me smile and cringe at the same time.

My stepdad does too. He's from Motherwell (big into the Scottish Premiership team too), and says that he's never even heard someone say "shite" over there. Although, his accent is so fricking thick, I can only understand 25% of what he says.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #32
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
I love it when Americans act like they're from Britain. It makes me smile and cringe at the same time.

My stepdad does too. He's from Motherwell (big into the Scottish Premiership team too), and says that he's never even heard someone say "shite" over there. Although, his accent is so fricking thick, I can only understand 25% of what he says.

"Red Shite" is a "proper" noun for a Liverpool supporter, mate. Trust me. Two of my best friends are from Liverpool, one is an Everton fan and the other a Liverpool fan. I've heard the phrase... A lot.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:17 PM   #33
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
"Red Shite" is a "proper" noun for a Liverpool supporter, mate. Trust me. Two of my best friends are from Liverpool, one is an Everton fan and the other a Liverpool fan. I've heard the phrase... A lot.

You're from Michigan and you called me mate....hahahahaha!!!

Thanks!! You just made my day!!
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #34
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
You're from Michigan and you called me mate....hahahahaha!!!

Thanks!! You just made my day!!

Any time, lad. I'm simply here to make sure each one of your days in Cloudy Bellingham is just a little bit brighter, boyo.

Pip pip Cheerio!

Cheers to your bird!

Happy snogging!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:43 PM   #35
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard View Post
Charlton 0 Chelsea 1
Spurs 0 Man Utd 4

That says it all

About what? The refereeing, or the teams?

Seriously, while it feels like you had more luck on Ronaldo's dive than we've had this entire season, I completely agree. Since his first season - when Robben and Duff shredded people on the break whenever they were fit - Jose's gotten a more and more defensive attitude to holding onto leads. If we're one-nil up, we tend to sit back and hope not to concede. You lot, on the other hand, have developed a really frightening counterattack. So we get a 1-0 game in which we had enough chances to score a few more but also had a couple of nasty scares, and you have a cakewalk once the ref's given you the first. Or, when Cech was out, we get a 2-2 game that we should have won, and you get a cakewalk once you've gotten the first (by fair means or foul).
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:58 AM   #36
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
About what? The refereeing, or the teams?
Just the general approach of Chelsea and Utd in their pursuit of the Premiership, Katon.

Quote:
Seriously, while it feels like you had more luck on Ronaldo's dive than we've had this entire season, I completely agree.
The ref had a shocker particularly in the first half. He got the two penalty decisions wrong - Larsson's was and Ronaldo's wasn't a penalty. Worked out in the end. But how Scholes avoided a yellow card I'll never know. On the other hand Larsson's yellow was ludicrous. Again, one right one wrong. Just the wrong ones again

Quote:
Since his first season - when Robben and Duff shredded people on the break whenever they were fit - Jose's gotten a more and more defensive attitude to holding onto leads. If we're one-nil up, we tend to sit back and hope not to concede.
He's always had a pragmatic approach - even in Portugal. When things are going well he can be more expansive but currently it deteriorates into negativity. I don't think he's ever figured out what to do with all his world class midifielders and, in a funny way, Terry's injury has a solved the problem for him. But now the problem's in defence.

Quote:
You lot, on the other hand, have developed a really frightening counterattack. So we get a 1-0 game in which we had enough chances to score a few more but also had a couple of nasty scares, and you have a cakewalk once the ref's given you the first.

With players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Larsson, Scholes, Giggs, Carrick - not a one of them that can tackle to save his life - you can't sit back and defend. But going one up doesn't turn a game into a cakewalk - it's scoring three more that does

It was an encouraging win for us. Spurs are no walkover at home. I wouldn't have been surprised had you cut that 6 point gap this weekend. I'm a happy camper today. I'd be even happier if Faye would learn how to finish

Last edited by Mac Howard : 02-05-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #37
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

As a Spurs fan I couldn't really complain. I thought the missed calls evened out in the first half really, Larssen definitely should have received a PK, so i wasn't complaining too loudly when Ronaldo took a dive. And Scholes was a maniac in the first half, WTF?!

I just hate how Tottenham seems to have a tendancy to go in the crapper as soon as they surrender a goal. They just seem to seriously be lacking confidence most the time this year.

It was obviously about 15 games ago that the best they'd be able to do this year is find their way back into the UEFA cup.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:22 PM   #38
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard View Post
The ref had a shocker particularly in the first half. He got the two penalty decisions wrong - Larsson's was and Ronaldo's wasn't a penalty. Worked out in the end. But how Scholes avoided a yellow card I'll never know. On the other hand Larsson's yellow was ludicrous. Again, one right one wrong. Just the wrong ones again

I also heard Neville got away with a grab on Chimbonda that could've been a penalty fairly easily. Haven't seen it, though, since watching you lot win by four isn't really one of my favorite sights at the moment. You deserved to win, certainly; I'm just a bit irritated by the contrast with the crap refereeing we got when we went (one really stupid disallowed goal for us, absolutely nothing against Spurs, goodbye unbeaten run).

Quote:
With players like Rooney, Ronaldo, Larsson, Scholes, Giggs, Carrick - not a one of them that can tackle to save his life - you can't sit back and defend. But going one up doesn't turn a game into a cakewalk - it's scoring three more that does

And that's what we've stopped doing, especially since Joe Cole got hurt. I only get back to London over holidays these days, so the last two games I've been to in person were the Reading and Fulham home games. Both of which were excellent examples of the fact that if you sit back on your heels when you don't have one of the best defenses in Europe, most Premiership teams can potentially take advantage of that. Especially if you've got a third-choice keeper in goal.

Quote:
It was an encouraging win for us. Spurs are no walkover at home. I wouldn't have been surprised had you cut that 6 point gap this weekend. I'm a happy camper today. I'd be even happier if Faye would learn how to finish

It is so nice to have Cech back.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:48 PM   #39
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:

I'm from over there and shite is the common pronunciation that I would use. For example in the sentence "Motherwell are shite" Shite is definitely in common use, at least in Scotland.

Apparently German press has Jose Mourinho leaving Chelsea for Bayern at the end of the season. Not sure how reliable that is.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:50 PM   #40
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by thread title
EPL Premiership weekend 2/3 *Spoilers*

What a bait-and-switch title... clearly it was deliberately designed to lure me into this thread.

*shakes head*
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #41
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Can't imagine what you were expecting, QS

Last edited by Mac Howard : 02-05-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #42
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
What a bait-and-switch title... clearly it was deliberately designed to lure me into this thread.

*shakes head*

Heh, nice.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:38 PM   #43
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Freaking Fulham! Though the nice run had to end soon I guess... though should have been better than a brainfart by Butt. Bramble also got lucky not to get sent off.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-05-2007 at 05:42 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #44
Dunleavy
High School JV

and Ronaldo gets the dive of the weekend award...

even though Chelsea didn't drop any points to ManUtd this weekend there a million signs that ManUtd will win running away...they got the 3pts but Chelsea looked lackluster again while Utd crushed Spurs at White Hart Lane, btw Chelsea lost at the Lane after going infront

Can everyone finally agree Liverpool and Arsenal are out of the title race? (they've been out of it since September)
Old 02-05-2007, 07:40 PM   #45
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Hey one team came to play football - the other "team" was Everton.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #46
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunleavy View Post
Can everyone finally agree Liverpool and Arsenal are out of the title race? (they've been out of it since September)

Out of total hatred for ManU and Chelsea, I cannot do such a thing.