Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2007, 04:03 PM   #1
Flasch186
Coordinator

Monster fight in the Flasch household

I dont even know where to begin were in the midst of it now, she's in the bathroom, but im sure ill be on here venting in a bit.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:04 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

Paging translator!

Kidding. Hope it wasn't anything too serious.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:06 PM   #3
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

At least you got the strategic position from which to wage war.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Mrs. Eaglesfan and I had a "monster fight" about 3 months before our wedding where the whole thing was even called off for a few days. It all worked out in the end.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:17 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:23 PM   #6
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

There are a lot of people in here waiting patiently to see how this turns out
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:32 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

JERRY! JERRY! JERRY! JERRY!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:47 PM   #8
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm not leaving work until I get some news up in here.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:49 PM   #9
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

In before the lock.
Old 01-03-2007, 04:51 PM   #10
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
In before the lock.

I originally read this as "glock". Whew.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
molson
General Manager

It's tremendous that you thought of this while this is going on.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

she's probably in the bedroom right now, talking to her mom..

"And the worst part, he's probably talking about it with all his friends on that dork sports board..."
Old 01-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
Huckleberry
College Starter

SirFozzie nailed it.

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:11 PM   #14
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Since Huckleberry is one of only two people on this board who know football, I'm taking his side on everything. Therefore, SirFozzie nailed it.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #15
kingfc22
Head Coach

I demand information.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:26 PM   #16
Flasch186
Coordinator

So basically she has decided that she doesnt want to have a "big" wedding....however, she wants to not have a wedding at all. We could just go get the cert. cuz it doesnt matter.

Then she says she might want to start a new career in costume design for film, stage, & Television. I explain that that isnt really feasible in JAcksonville, fL as a career and she says she knows so she thought we could just move. I told her absolutely not, that when we first started dating I told her that I did the "move" thing, "chased the dream" and it made me realize how much I loved being here, around my friends and family....that she knew this.

I couldnt believe that this was even a thought process. I have been super supportive of all her pursuits but Im not willing to move to a new place, so she can pursue a new career, when Im exceedingly happy now, and ready start a family within a year or so.

Im just in shock, but I basically told her that she needed to decide if she was happy here or not and that if she wanted to go, than go. Im not mad but I dont want her staying here so that in some years she can resent me and whatever kids we might have in a "what couldve been moment."

Eaglesfan, any advice would be greatly helpful. Im not willing to move and when we first started dating I was abundantly clear about the "plan" and what it involved here.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-03-2007 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #17
Flasch186
Coordinator

EF, what do you do, continue to talk about it? I dont want to go through with it if she is even considering moving away...or is this most likely fleeting and I should close my eyes and walk blindly?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #18
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I don't have any specific advice, but at least it's a good thing that this came up before the wedding.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:37 PM   #19
Flasch186
Coordinator

prenup

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-03-2007, 05:39 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, absolutely...

Though it could be just nervousness, realizing that she'll be tied to Jacksonville forever. Perhaps it was just her thinking aloud and not really meaning it. I'd wait to see what happens in the next few days about this.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:46 PM   #21
Flasch186
Coordinator

4.5 yrs and this shit. shocked, im like in a coma.....

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-03-2007, 05:47 PM   #22
spleen1015
Coordinator

Keep talking about it, definitely.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:55 PM   #23
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Always a good idea to put geography above the heart of a woman who loves you.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #24
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

dola...

That said, since her plans seem fairly theoretical, it seems like the idea of "starting a career in costume design" would be difficult to pull off anywhere. If she's seriously arguing for starting that career vs. a life in Jacksonville with you, it's not really about the career.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:58 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
EF, what do you do, continue to talk about it? I dont want to go through with it if she is even considering moving away...or is this most likely fleeting and I should close my eyes and walk blindly?

I can't give you any professional type advice as there are way too many variables. I will say that my wife understood that I had no plans on moving from NJ when we started dating. She still understood that when we got married. Less than 2 years into the marriage, she was unhappy with NJ (the weather, missing her friends, missing her family, etc.) and wanting to return to her home state of Louisiana. I loved living in NJ, but I loved her more.

In general, I think it is good for couples to talk through their arguments, but if things are getting too heated, a break from the argument and resuming a dialogue when they have calmed down is usually good advice.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:59 PM   #26
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(sighs)

Flasch, don't take this the wrong way man.. but.. you need to read the wedding vows thing again.

"For richer or poorer, for better or for worse.."

Not

"As long as she wants to stay where I'm comfortable"

If that connection is not there, maybe the relationship isn't destined to work real well...

I'm not saying you should break up or whatever, but definitely consider that a relationship HAS to be a two way street, and only from what you're telling me, it seems like it's two one way streets.

Good luck.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #27
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Grab a beer & a microwave burrito.

Then play a game or two of FOF2k7 and enjoy the silence while she's locked in the john...
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:09 PM   #28
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Since Huckleberry is one of only two people on this board who know football, I'm taking his side on everything. Therefore, SirFozzie nailed it.

I just want to poke my head in here to say this is gold...

Last edited by Cuckoo : 01-03-2007 at 06:09 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #29
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Here's something that worked for me from personal experience.

Do you love her? If you do, then shave her head while she's asleep. Then, when she wakes up she finds a note you left on the nightstand reading:

"Nobody wants some crazy bald lady designing their costumes. Believe me, your mama already tried."
Old 01-03-2007, 06:17 PM   #30
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by M GO BLUE!!! View Post
Grab a beer & a microwave burrito.

Then play a game or two of FOF2k7 and enjoy the silence while she's locked in the john...

I don't know if beer and burritos are the answer while your significant other is locked in the john is the answer...

Too easy for them to gain the upperhand.

Having said that, if you chased your dream and decided it wasn't for you but, she hasn't (and wants to), this is going to be an issue from now until forever.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 01-03-2007, 06:25 PM   #31
Flasch186
Coordinator

It isnt about moving, it IS about wanting to start a family of our own around our two families. When things got serious we both agreed that this is what we wanted but now she is talking out of her ass about costume design but it is making me question her commitment to us (she has begun backpedaling). I told her Im totally supportive of everything she says she wants to do. I bought her a piano, I bought her a pottery wheel, I bought her lessons with her guitar, I helped her in everything she has wanted to do but when she says we can put off the wedding (she did say this), move somewhere else where she and I can start from scratch in this craziness, and then someday have a family (she's 27 now) is just asinine. It isnt about my love for her vs. a move from being comfortable....it is about the fulcrum of our goals plans and evolution together.

This is all the while that I have supported us solely while she started her venture into real estate, and am glad to do it because I know that it is for the betterment of hers and our future, and our kids someday....but to go on a lark and scrap everything is out of the question.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-03-2007 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #32
Daimyo
College Starter

Marriage is all about dealing with shit like this and working out compromises. If you're willing to go to the power play over something like this, at this point in the relationship, IMO you really need to step back and re-evaluate things.

I think if you were really in love (the kind that can make a marriage last) you'd both be willing to make compromises over things like this for the other. Since neither of you appears willing to sacrifice for the other it is probably much better for both that you discovered this pre-marriage.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:34 PM   #33
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Sounds as though she is all over the board on things and really doesn't know what she wants.

Well.. in the end, if you do compromise on this one, one of the stipulations of this would be that she would have to make a Slave Leia outfit for herself.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #34
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
now she is talking out of her ass about costume design

Make sure you put it just like that, that will totally help.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #35
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

This is possibly the worst place to be asking for advice on potential marriage, and someone you love as a possible life partner.

Venting is one thing, but not only do most people here have different ideologies, none of them have any clue how you feel about her, or your current living situation beyond what you tell them.

Vent, then talk with one of your friends who knows your situation if you need, then talk with your fiancee. After that, think some more and if you feel like you need to make a decision, do it - but not in the heat of an argument.

edit - for some spelling fixes

Last edited by Deattribution : 01-03-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:37 PM   #36
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimyo
Marriage is all about dealing with shit like this and working out compromises. If you're willing to go to the power play over something like this, at this point in the relationship, IMO you really need to step back and re-evaluate things.

I think if you were really in love (the kind that can make a marriage last) you'd both be willing to make compromises over things like this for the other. Since neither of you appears willing to sacrifice for the other it is probably much better for both that you discovered this pre-marriage.

She is backpedaling a bit and saying that I shouldnt put so much weight in it. I have suggested that she go to the local LC and look into different avenues and find something that she would like to do so that she can take night courses or whatever and pursue it. She is acting like this isnt a big deal and I am over-reacting (which is common - but I think there are some underlying statements that cause me some concern - rightfully so, i think).

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #37
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Seems to be you looking for an excuse to get out of this relationship.

Look in the mirror.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:45 PM   #38
Flasch186
Coordinator

I have convinced her that she should seek the local theaters and offer to work at night or days off in an apprentice sort of thing to see if it is realistic. I do NOT think that she will actually do this, but at least it has completely talked her off the ledge and she realizes that Im not against the career but that I am against a move. I dont know, I told her this makes me question her commitment to us and she said that Im totally over-reacting and she was simply thinking out loud. Scares the shit out of me though, and Im definitely back on the prenup idea, eventhough after 4.5 years I was not going to pursue one.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 01-03-2007, 06:48 PM   #39
duckman
Pro Starter

“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”

Last edited by duckman : 01-03-2007 at 06:49 PM.
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:49 PM   #40
MacroGuru
Coordinator

When is the wedding date? Because what I am looking into this is someone sat down and some point within the last week and had an eye-opening moment.

That moment is, I am going to get married, have kids soon, and be a mother, I will be tied down and I don't know what to do, so she panics and you have what you have.

I have seen this happen several times with friends and their wives, mine did the same thing, but she was more afraid of my white trash family than anything else.

Sit and talk with her, work things out, but honestly based upon what you said you have both agreed upon what you have outlined, you have every right to stand fast to that.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:56 PM   #41
Flasch186
Coordinator

thank you, macro....that makes me feel better.

Duckman's drama photo with our past doesnt, especially considering all of the threads based on his ex-wife, son, and the lives that intertwine with his. I actually root for him in those, I wonder if he does the same in mine. what an asshole.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 01-03-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #42
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
I have convinced her that she should seek the local theaters and offer to work at night or days off in an apprentice sort of thing to see if it is realistic. I do NOT think that she will actually do this, but at least it has completely talked her off the ledge and she realizes that Im not against the career but that I am against a move. I dont know, I told her this makes me question her commitment to us and she said that Im totally over-reacting and she was simply thinking out loud. Scares the shit out of me though, and Im definitely back on the prenup idea, eventhough after 4.5 years I was not going to pursue one.

Another idea, of course, is that Orlando is pretty close to you. If she turns out to be serious about it, there may be options closer than moving across the country.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #43
KevinNU7
College Starter

Oh Snap!
Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 PM   #44
Moss84
n00b

I would break out the pottery wheel, throw a big chunk of clay on it, and put on the "Ghost" CD and discuss your goals again.
Moss84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #45
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
thank you, macro....that makes me feel better.

Duckman's drama photo with our past doesnt, especially considering all of the threads based on his ex-wife, son, and the lives that intertwine with his. I actually root for him in those, I wonder if he does the same in mine. what an asshole.

don't be a dick.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #46
duckman
Pro Starter

Quote:

I'm only kidding, Flasch. I thought I lighten the mood up a little bit.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #47
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Honestly, Flasch came on here with some help, even to vent...I see where he is coming from on the Duckman post...

edit: cause duckman came in and saved the day

Last edited by MacroGuru : 01-03-2007 at 07:02 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #48
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
my white trash family

Memphis, Tenn represented!
Old 01-03-2007, 07:06 PM   #49
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
Memphis, Tenn represented!

LOL! Actually that is where we had the Jerry Springer moment....at Pat O'Brians on Beale...but the White Trash side is here in Utah.....I actually have to say, My dad and sister that live there are not...although my sister has managed to find a few boyfriends that fit the bill.....
Old 01-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #50
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman View Post
I'm only kidding, Flasch. I thought I lighten the mood up a little bit.

sorry, my antenna are way up....I apologize for not getting the motive. Sorry.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL