Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-27-2006, 06:06 AM   #1
Hammer
College Prospect

IQ Test

I was given an IQ test over Christmas, you fill it in send it off and get the results back. I'm not going to cheat as I've already entered the answer , but can anyone confirm the answer to this question?

How many minutes is it before 12 noon if 40 minutes ago it was four times as many minutes past 10 a.m.?

Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:28 AM   #2
21C
College Prospect

Do you want the answer posted here?
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:30 AM   #3
21C
College Prospect

I'm guessing you did - after I reread your post.

It's 11.44 or 16 minutes before noon.

40 minutes ago was 11.04 which is 64 minutes after 10am and 64 = 4 x 16.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:56 AM   #4
Hammer
College Prospect

Thanks, I never got it right. I got all the maths right bar this one I think, and one other you might be interested in. The questions get progressively tougher, so you get this one right, you've done well

473 : 31
629 : 21
497 : 43

Which set of numbers below has the same relationship to one another as all the sets of numbers above?

296 : 21
576 : 18
584 : 44
987 : 71

I couldn't see anything there bar 629:21 and 296:21 all having the same numbers. I suspect that is not what they are after.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

It just seems awfully tough to try to test native intelligence, rather than educational progress. If you decide to prep for this test by getting a 30-minute brush-up on bnasicl algebra, the first puzzle you posted becomes pretty trivial... where for someone who either never studied algebraic mathematics, or is so rusty on it to have forgotten too much, it seems hopelessly daunting. So, while I might agree that taking the prep class would make you more clever, and better prepared, it certainly doesn't mean that you are inherently a more intelligent person.

I.Q. tests just seem to me to be a necessarily imperfect proxy to whatever it is we're trying to measure. And this comes from a bona fide puzzle fan, who actually enjoys doing stuff like this -- I like taking this sort of test, but I'm also aware that I can take ten different so-called "I.Q. tests" and get results that easily vary by as much as 80 points.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:13 AM   #6
Brillig
College Prospect

The answer is 584:44

The relation you're looking for is

ABC : D

where (A * B) + C = D

Last edited by Brillig : 12-27-2006 at 08:14 AM.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:31 AM   #7
cuervo72
Head Coach

The IQ test I took as a kid involved a lot of making shapes with white and red triangles. Can't remember what else was involved, but those I remember.

In my college psych lab we had a pattern recognition exercise, where we were instructed to replace the digits 0-9 with ten different symbols and were timed for it. After that, the class read out the answers all at once. The test was timed, so finishing wasn't guaranteed. I'm not even sure what the purpose was of the exercise (probably was the TA's project), but it seemed a bit like a test - it was timed, you could grade right/wrong, and it didn't really involve knowledge, just how fast you could assimilate the ten symbols.

Oh - I was the last one reading at the end.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:38 AM   #8
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillig View Post
The answer is 584:44

The relation you're looking for is

ABC : D

where (A * B) + C = D

This is one of those things that just hacks me off about these things. Who the heck is looking for something like this out of the blue?

Unless the previous questions have you thinking in this mode, how is this a test of IQ? All you're doing is finding what the test designer is trying to test for. It reminds me of those tests in college that the prof designed such that if you knew the shortcut you could finish the 4 questions in 10 minutes, but if you derived everything and honestly knew the material it would take you 3 hours to finish, unfortunately, you only had 3 hours to take the test.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #9
Hammer
College Prospect

Going through the paper, many questions were a test of knowledge, not intelligence. Biased towards the educated person. It sounds as if some knowldge of algebra might have helped. Also knowledge of the English language was a on trial*. So not really an IQ test, but it was only a bit of fun so never mind.

Which word in brackets is most opposite in meaning to the word in capitals?

ASSENT (hindrance, shrink, refusal, affirmation, subside)

This was a mid level language question.

A little later, was this one, which I never got.

A MEDIEVAL CRY is an anagram of what phrase, 5-3-4 letters long, that means Happy go Lucky?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:18 AM   #10
Brillig
College Prospect

Devil may care
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:21 AM   #11
Hammer
College Prospect

Wouldn't have got that in a million years. Impressive