Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-26-2006, 09:46 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

XBox 360 recommendations

So, we have an XBoox 360 on its way, courtesy of a poker site.

I am woefully out of touch with the console universe... my last console gaming was on the original NES. But after a little debate, we have decided to at least give this thing a try, rather than immediately re-gifting it.

So, I plan to go out and try to price-match my way to a cheap copy of Gears of War. which I guess is the staple FPS game for this system. (Target is selling it cheap, I hear, so I'll try and pitch that to the price matching competition)

Anyone have other recommendations? I am not inclined to fiddle around and play lots and lots of games, but I wouldn't mind picking up a couple more titles if they are alreayd battle-tested and okayed by the group here. I know that Madden is available for that system -- is that a worthwhile purchase? Is there a college football game that includes a "dynasty" sort of concept (player aging and recruiting) available for the 360? Any racing games that stand out from the pack?

Thanks in advance for the thoughts - this forum is so good for this sort of thing.

QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Call of Duty 3
Oblivion
NHL 07
Tiger Woods 07
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

I wouldn't bother with Madden. The latest NCAA football is worth a purchase.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Kodos
Resident Alien

I think Call of Duty 2 is better regarded than COD 3. I haven't played 3, but can vouch for the fact that 2 was fun.

NBA2k7 is a good choice too, if you have any interest in an NBA game. Which I suspect you don't.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:47 AM   #5
gstelmack
Pro Starter

What types of games do you like?

A key thing if you get the 360 is to get on Xbox Live and check out the Arcade titles. There are some good ol' classics in there priced pretty inexpensively with more out all the time. Great filler games.

Just Cause is a great action / adventure, probably my favorite 360 game so far. Some great tongue-in-cheek humor, but lots of go anywhere / do anything modern action.

Elder Scrolls Oblivion is an RPG must-buy.

NCAA Football sounds like it is up your alley.

Blazing Angels is my sleeper pick; I found it a lot more fun than I expected, so if you're in to flight games it's worth a pickup (disclosure: I work for UbiSoft, but this is an honest recommendation.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I wouldn't bother with Madden. The latest NCAA football is worth a purchase.

Agreed.

For racing, I'd recommend Burnout: Revenge right now. Forza 2 will be out in 2007 and it should be very good.

Also, if you like College Basketball, I strongly recommend College Hoops 2007.

Other recommendations would depend upon the genre.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:10 AM   #7
QuikSand
lolzcat

As for what I like... I guess I don't know what I like in a buttom-mashing game, since the last one I really enjoyed was probably Tecmo Super Bowl.

I purchased Oblivion for the PC, and haven't touched it since the first couple of hours fiddling around. I can't imagine that I'd get deep into a console RPG if I already had access to the PC version.

As for sports... my best guess is that the college football game might be best for me, as long as it involves some degree of dyansty-building. I'm really not a huge fan of joystick jockeying, but I suspect I'd be okay with it if there were a degree of management involved for me to grow attached to my players. I can't imagine liking an NBA game, but maybe college backetball, I suppose.

Looks like this might require me to either get over my EA grudge, or work around it, I guess.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #8
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I think Call of Duty 2 is better regarded than COD 3. I haven't played 3, but can vouch for the fact that 2 was fun.

NBA2k7 is a good choice too, if you have any interest in an NBA game. Which I suspect you don't.

COD 3 is AMAZING. Haven't touched GOW yet as COD 3 is getting my every minute of free time.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #9
twothree
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
So, we have an XBoox 360 on its way, courtesy of a poker site.

I am woefully out of touch with the console universe... my last console gaming was on the original NES.

Anyone have other recommendations?

I don't own an X-Box or X-Box 360. I prefer all the other consoles. But...

I would recommend getting some of the quality titles for the X-Box that will play on the X-Box 360, since you probably haven't played any of them. They would allow you to find the genres of console games that interest you or your family without spending very much. You would probably want to look for the Platinum Hits line of X-Box titles. They would be under $20.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
COD 3 is AMAZING. Haven't touched GOW yet as COD 3 is getting my every minute of free time.

Really? The reviews I read said it was good but kinda been there/done that. Glad you're enjoying it!
Old 12-26-2006, 12:49 PM   #11
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Really? The reviews I read said it was good but kinda been there/done that. Glad you're enjoying it!

Maybe it's because I played COD 2 on my pc and COD 3 on my 360? It's just so much more intense than COD 2 was, imho. It's also nice to have so much more detail than my pc could handle with COD 2.
Old 12-26-2006, 01:11 PM   #12
Raiders Army
Coordinator

NCAA College Football is a good one, as others have said and I'm liking College Hoops 2k7 a lot as well (just trying to get into the recruiting system is a little difficult). Hoops is a non-EA game FWIW.

Edit--Dead Rising is a really fun game as well.

Last edited by Raiders Army : 12-26-2006 at 01:12 PM.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:13 PM   #13
QuikSand
lolzcat

The cost (in time lost from other things, not so muh in money) of getting this things is starting to sound pretty substantial. I'm thinking that re-gifting or eBaying is looking like a better and better alternative.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:28 PM   #14
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

One suggestion would be to go to the local movie rental superstore and check out some of these game titles via rental so see if they fit your tastes.

From what you've described, I think EA's NCAA Football would be a good fit. Their dynasty mode isn't as in-depth as TCY overall, but it does some things better (the hiring/firing is more realistic for one thing). It can be a simple yet fun distraction, though once you work your way up to a good job it's hard to not dominate from that point forward even if you just let the computer sim all your games.

Xbox Live offers a number of fun games for download, from arcade classics like Pac-Man, Galaga, Defender and Joust to puzzle games like Jewel Quest and Zuma to new games like Outpost Kaloki (an interesting little strategy sim) and Cloning Clyde (a fun, humorous platformer).

I'd at least rent a few games first and give the system a shot before you decide to pass on it.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:09 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm wicked pissed that COD 3 isn't out on the PC.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

BTW, Gears of War is only $40 at Target this week. Nice.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:18 PM   #17
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
BTW, Gears of War is only $40 at Target this week. Nice.

I picked it up today for the girlfriend and I to play. It is hard to beat the $40 price tag.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:42 PM   #18
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
The cost (in time lost from other things, not so muh in money) of getting this things is starting to sound pretty substantial. I'm thinking that re-gifting or eBaying is looking like a better and better alternative.

I guess we are getting old or something, because that is exactly what I did. It went to my nephew to get some real use out of it.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:54 PM   #19
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I guess we are getting old or something

Or something. *shurg*
Old 12-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #20
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Quote:
Or something. *shurg*

Face it, man!!!
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:40 PM   #21
Subby
lolzcat

You have the right idea. Get rid of it while you still can. Do you really want to spend a ton of leisure time sitting on your ass in your house in a semi-vegitative state?

Unless, of course, you were planning on hooking up Dance Dance Revolution! In that case, keep it and invite me over and we can dress like Solid Gold Dancers and have dance contests! I can be Adrian Zmed and you can be Marilyn McCoo.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:13 AM   #22
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Mother-in-law gave me Rainbow Six Vegas for the holidays and it's freaking awesome. I'm enjoing this more than Ghost Recon.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:55 AM   #23
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow5 View Post
Mother-in-law gave me Rainbow Six Vegas for the holidays and it's freaking awesome. I'm enjoing this more than Ghost Recon.

I haven't had a chance to go online with this game yet (waiting on a couple of friends to grab a copy) -- but is it true that they removed "proximity" chat from Vegas, unlike Ghost Recon?
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:11 PM   #24
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Gears of War is a pretty cool game. Spent six weeks with it while on tour and we played every chance we got. After having random kids delete our profiles we finally hid one long enough to win the game on hardcore. That unlocks Insane level, which is truly insane in it's difficulty. Great movie scenes in it to.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #25
Yellow5
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukarez View Post
I haven't had a chance to go online with this game yet (waiting on a couple of friends to grab a copy) -- but is it true that they removed "proximity" chat from Vegas, unlike Ghost Recon?

I'm working my way through single player and have not been online yet. I want to make sure I know the game well enough before I attempt online.