Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-24-2006, 06:23 PM   #1
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

anyone ever heard of the band Glass Harp?

I came across them yesterday in a quest to identify who sang a Christmas song I heard on the radio.

I was driving my wife's car, and she had a station tuned in playing Christmas Carols. I hear a fantastic acoustic version of "God rest ye weary Gentlemen". I thought the arrangement was great, and I was drawn to the guitar work. There was just a very full and complete sound, I thought to myself that I hadn't heard acoustic guitar work like that since Phil Keaggy. A couple of songs later I discover that this is a christian station...So "Hey that might have actually been Phil Keaggy.

That spawned about a 45 minute search for a recording of this song on iTunes or Amazon. In the midst of that quest, I ran across Glass Harp. Apparently Keaggy's first band. Back in the late sixties early seventies when he was still in High School. They aren't on iTunes, but Amazon had a few albums. I was shocked at how much I liked the little bits of stuff that I heard. I'm pretty sure I'm a buyer of at least a couple of their albums. Really solid stuff, at least as far as I could tell. I found myself thinking about Blind Faith or Cream, as I listened to the clips. They were apparently on the fast track when Keaggy left them to begin a career in Christian music. In any case, I noted that they enjoyed quite a bit of fame in regions of the country, and wondered if anyone had heard of them. If not, and you like sixties/seventies style rock, then you should check them out.

Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote