Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who got the better of the trade in 2001?
Chargers (Tomlinson, Dwight, T. Cody, R. Caldwell) 14 28.00%
Falcons (Vick) 14 28.00%
The trade was even 22 44.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2003, 09:24 AM   #1
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Chargers-Falcons 2001 Trade Revisited

I remember this being a topic of conversation on the last board and, as a Chargers fan, wanted to know everyones opinion on who got the better of the deal. Especially after Vick and Tomlinson both had breakout years. Besides, there are so many polls about, why not add another??? Personally, I feel that the Chargers got the better. They both made the pro bowl but the Chargers also got Tim Dwight (good speed although undersized to be the number 2 wide out) and were able to pick Brees with the first pick in the second round. They were also able to get some depth with the other picks acquired.

What do you guys think??

-yacovfb

yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:48 AM   #2
Darkiller
FOF2 Guy

I think that the balance of that trade will depend on Brees career.
If he becomes a true franchise QB and Tomlinson is a career Pro Bowler than I'd say the Chargers have had the best.

but if Vick continues to improve and brings the Falcons to the Playoffs year in year out...then...

conclusion : it's still early to make a call on this.
- Chairman of the IHOF Hall of Fame
- Athletic Director of the Brigham Young Cougars in TCY
FOF Legend: Hall of Fame QB Brock Sheriff #5, one of the most popular player in Front Office Football history.
Darkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:01 AM   #3
Superman=#54
High School Varsity

I think the trade was even. The Chargers got a stud at runningback that could be the next Emmit, Curtis Martin, or Barry Snaders. The Falcons got a pretty good quaterback and runningback in one guy. Don't be surprised if these guys by the end of their career lead the all time rushing record at their positions. Tim Dwight is pretty good he has made a few good plays and as everyone knows the Falcons could use some speed at the wide out position. Right now the Falcons have made the playoffs and the Chargers have not. The only problem I have with the Chargers is that they have to make better use of thier talents. They have to much talent not to make the playoffs but being in the toughest division does not help. I could see the Falcons going a long way because of thier young defense and stud quaterback.
Superman=#54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 10:52 AM   #4
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd say the Falcons got the better of the deal. Remember, Brees wasn't really included in the deal, the Chargers picked him with the pick they normally would have had in the 2nd round.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:11 AM   #5
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

On the flip side, they would have had their qb in round one if they didnt make the trade. I'm not sure that they would take a rb in round 2 and Tomlinson would definitly not be around then. Just my 2 cents.

- yacovfb
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 02:39 PM   #6
jasonwinston
n00b

I think the Falcons got the better deal. Brees may turn into a solid player and Tomlinson already is, but I would rather have Vick other both of them. Vick creates excitement and energizes his teammates. Vick brings much more to a game then anyone the Chargers got out of the deal.
jasonwinston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 04:15 PM   #7
TroyF
Coordinator

As with most trades, it is going to take 4 or 5 years before it can be fairly evaluated. Who wins right now? Easy. The Falcons.

Vick led the Falcons to the 2nd round of the playoffs. Brees and LT have led the Chargers nowhere. Vick is clearly the better QB right now. He's a few percentage points lower in %, but is superior in YPPA, TD/INT ratio, rushing yards, overall impact, etc.

Tomlinson has developed into a nice back, but he's already piled up nearly 900 touches in his NFL career. That's an extremely heavy workload for a back. (damn near where E. James was after 2 years) If Marty doesn't hold back a little bit, they are going to wear out his welcome in the league very quickly. Not many backs can touch the ball that often 3 years in a row.

If Vick continues to develop at his current pace, the Falcons will win the deal without any problem at all. If Vick stays at his current level and nobody gets hurt, the Falcons will win the deal IMO.

TroyF
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote