Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-22-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Is There A Doctor In The House?

So I'm here at home while Elaine's taken James (our 21-month old boy) to the ER. I was gone most of the day but when I arrived home Elaine told me that she'd noticed a large lump extending from under his ear down to his jaw. I didn't notice anything like that when I put him up for a nap around noon, so it must have developed in about seven hours.

Elaine said he wasn't complaining, didn't have a fever, but she had managed to freak herself out by trying to diagnose him online. She kept coming up with tumors. I highly doubt that something that popped up this quickly is a tumor, especially considering the swelling seems to be located near one of his glands, but she's also managed to freak me out as well.

So, if there are any doctor types perusing the board on a Friday evening who want to make me feel better until Elaine calls from the E.R., I'd be very greatful for any thoughts on what this could be.

CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
sabotai
General Manager

I tried to diagnose myself online once. I had temporal arthritis.

(and then when I actually went to a doctor, it was migraines. I wouldn't worry if I were you.)

Last edited by sabotai : 12-22-2006 at 07:59 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:58 PM   #3
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I'm not a doctor but I'd agree it would seem unusual for something of that nature to develope so quickly. Definitely the right idea on taking him to the ER though. Best of luck to you and yours.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #4
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
So I'm here at home while Elaine's taken James (our 21-month old boy) to the ER. I was gone most of the day but when I arrived home Elaine told me that she'd noticed a large lump extending from under his ear down to his jaw. I didn't notice anything like that when I put him up for a nap around noon, so it must have developed in about seven hours.

Elaine said he wasn't complaining, didn't have a fever, but she had managed to freak herself out by trying to diagnose him online. She kept coming up with tumors. I highly doubt that something that popped up this quickly is a tumor, especially considering the swelling seems to be located near one of his glands, but she's also managed to freak me out as well.

So, if there are any doctor types perusing the board on a Friday evening who want to make me feel better until Elaine calls from the E.R., I'd be very greatful for any thoughts on what this could be.

I've never heard of a large tumor popping up in the course of several hours. However, I think taking him to the ER was definitely the correct call. Hard to say what this is without seeing it, but my guess from the description would be some swollen glands. James and your family will be in my prayers.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Rizon
Pro Starter

Spider bite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Thanks for all the sincere answers fellas. Just talked to Elaine. She still hasn't seen a doctor yet, but there are more serious cases than ours that the docs are having to deal with tonight.

Spider bite was one of my first thoughts, but there's no discoloration and no visible bite mark that I can see. No fever, and James doesn't appear to be bothered at all by it.

He and his sister are both getting over a cold, and Elaine's getting over Strep Throat, so I'm hoping it's just some weird glandular thing triggered by a cold virus.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #7
korme
Go Reds

Hope everything is ok. On a lesser scale, I had my third doctor's visit in four days today, and got good news. An initial prognosis was a torn meniscus, but it looks like I just had some major soft tissue damage (i.e. no surgery). Hope your wife was just a lil' too worried and it's minor.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:23 PM   #8
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

The doctor says it's probably just the onset of strep throat, especially since Elaine's just getting over it. So James is on an antibiotic and we're supposed to keep an eye on the swelling.

Thanks again everyone. Now that I'm relieved, maybe I'll make an appearance in the Drunk Guy thread in a few hours.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:25 PM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Glad things turned out OK, Cam.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:24 AM   #10
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
The doctor says it's probably just the onset of strep throat, especially since Elaine's just getting over it. So James is on an antibiotic and we're supposed to keep an eye on the swelling.

Thanks again everyone. Now that I'm relieved, maybe I'll make an appearance in the Drunk Guy thread in a few hours.

Did they perform an X-Ray? An MRI? Bloodwork? A biopsy?

Maybe I gotta stop watching House.

Glad to hear your son is OK, Cam. Nothing is scarier than an ailing child.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:36 AM   #11
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

I was thinking a bad ear infection. When those get bad, it can get ugly, because there is a lot of fluid\materia in a small space. Nothing like waking up your kid with blood and pus all over the pillow to freak your ass out. (sorry for the graphic image)

Last edited by sachmo71 : 12-23-2006 at 02:36 AM.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #12
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Possibly an infected salivary gland? I had one a couple of years ago; about six hours after my jaw began aching, it looked like I had a tennis ball growing out the side of my head.

On the bright side, anything that develops this big this quickly is almost guaranteed to heal with a course of antibiotics.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:52 AM   #13
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Uh yeah, blood and pus on the pillow would probably be enough to scar me for life.

We'll see what the antibiotics do. We've been giving him ibuprofen to help reduce the swelling, and it seems to have helped as well. He's happily playing with his cars this morning, and doesnt' seem to be any worse for wear.
Old 12-23-2006, 11:00 AM   #14
Atocep
Coordinator

I had the same thing happen on both sides of my head a few years ago and the swelling was so bad the doctors thought it was mumps and then they considered mono. Turned out it was a really bad case of strep which then happened to be one of the most miserable weeks of my life. Not trying to make you paranoid, but one thing they told me to keep an eye for then was swelling of the throat, which can be be bad with particularly nasty cases of strep.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:33 AM   #15
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble View Post
Did they perform an X-Ray? An MRI? Bloodwork? A biopsy?

Maybe I gotta stop watching House.

You left out the part where they break into his home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 12:00 PM   #16
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

Gah! How could I forget?

Quick, someone go dig up Cam's dead cat from the backyard...
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:35 PM   #17
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I had strep many times as a kid and teenager (though never got my tonsils removed - go figure). Anyway, the one constant "symptom" was that the glands on either side of my neck, just below the back of the jaw, swelled up into hard rocks. In my case, the swelling wasn't actually visible, but you could feel it easily. Don't know if that helps at all.

Anyway, best wishes, and I hope your son gets better.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 01:50 PM   #18
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizon View Post

It's all about broad spectrum antibiotics.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #19
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

At this point I'm just hoping James doesn't give this to his twin sister. We've been trying to make sure they drink from their own cups (they have a tendency to switch off and share), but it's impossible to keep him away from her stuff all the time.

Of course her face and neck are so fat that every gland could puff up the size of a tennis ball and we'd never notice.

And not ONE &*!$ing word about her taking after her dad, got it?
Old 12-23-2006, 04:23 PM   #20
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Cam - glad everything looks like it's gonna be all right. Just keep your kids indoors and away from mine
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote