Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Anybody have info on Applachian State?

I may be applying for a job at AppState in a few days and I was wondering if any FOFCers went there, worked there, etc. How is the place?

-Abe

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I don't know a whole lot about the school, but I spent three summers in Boone. I can give you a lot of info on the area if you need it.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:43 PM   #3
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

that would be great!

Old 12-05-2006, 07:44 PM   #4
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg
Old 12-05-2006, 07:53 PM   #5
cuervo72
Head Coach

My wife's cousin went to Appalachian State. Her family also spent a lot of time in nearby Blowing Rock (grandparents and parents had houses, aunt and other grandmother a condo - long-time vacation spot for old school Floridians). We've taken a few mini-vacations there. A smaller town, though it looks like the immediate area is becoming a little more built up. Goes for the university too - I was impressed at how much new construction was going on on campus - some really nice buildings. Nice place. Fun little amusement park nearby too (Tweetsie Railroad...geared for kids mainly I guess).
Old 12-05-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Have lived within a few hours of the school most of my life. Had several friends go there and actually lived in Boone for a while.

A Beautiful campus. A good school and plenty of mountain activity (kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, etc.)if that is your thing, if not well not a lot to do.

The only real down side I can say about it, it is a very granola, hippie culture. Almost like say Portland East...
Not sure if that is a bad thing or not for you, but not really my gig.
Lots of beards, tie dyes Garcia fans
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:40 PM   #7
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I have to echo CU Tiger. App State is probably the most granola campus I've lived near. If you cleanliness is your thing, I don't think teaching at App State is for you!

I loved my time in Boone. Its one of the most beautiful areas I've lived. Its a very outdoors kind of area. Lots of trails and rivers very close. If you like nature its beautiful and largely free of charge.

It doesn't have a lot of urban life to it and Charlotte is not that close. If you need some city life you'll quickly grow tired of Boone. The big highlights while I was there all had to do with being on top of a mountain and drinking beer.

The biggest downside to Boone is the incredible traffic problems in the summer. It has no where near enough capacity for the tourists and getting much of anywhere s a real pain. In fact you should be ready to deal with a very large tourist influx during the summer.

Weather in the summer is great. It rarely gets over 85 and a sweater at night isn't uncommon. Rain tends to pass quickly unless you're lucky enough to get remnants of a tropical storm. I don't know about winter weather, but it does snow from what I've been told.

If I had the opportunity to work in that area I'd grab it in an instant. I loved the area and I could put up with the granola culture. If I can answer anymore questions let me know.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Well, I sent out my app today. We'll see.

Now I am considering applying for a position at Claremont McKenna on the other side of the country. Interesting, ain't it?

Old 12-06-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

You will probably hate it if you're from the city. But everything written above is completely true.

Last edited by Fighter of Foo : 12-06-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:43 PM   #10
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

...and it's hot, hot, hot.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
SackAttack
Head Coach

Isn't that really the kind of thing you should find out BEFORE you get to the point of saying "Okay, let's apply for a job there"?
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:14 PM   #12
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Isn't that really the kind of thing you should find out BEFORE you get to the point of saying "Okay, let's apply for a job there"?

Part of any application process, including interviews, is vetting the place you will work. Just as you are trying to find out about the candidate and if they are a good worker, the candidate is trying to find out about the employer and work environment.

I'll never apply just to apply. If I didn;t think that I would honestly consider a job offer from App State based on my current knowledge, I wouldn;t have even bothered to apply.

However, I do have some concerns, namely about the community, not as much about the school. Still, I think I should give the college a chance to address them, and not simply ignore them out of hand. Otherwise, the job is a good fit for my skills, experiences, and what I like to do.

-Abe