Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

(POL) Gingrich speech about free speech versus terrorism

This is from a speech he gave in New Hampshire. I find it repugnant, and against the principles the nation was founded on. In other words, he's against free speech, unless it's speech he agrees with..

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...0-bbcd5baedd78

MANCHESTER – Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich yesterday said the country will be forced to reexamine freedom of speech to meet the threat of terrorism.

Gingrich, speaking at a Manchester awards banquet, said a "different set of rules" may be needed to reduce terrorists' ability to use the Internet and free speech to recruit and get out their message.

"We need to get ahead of the curve before we actually lose a city, which I think could happen in the next decade," said Gingrich, a Republican who helped engineer the GOP's takeover of Congress in 1994.

Gingrich spoke to about 400 state and local power brokers last night at the annual Nackey S. Loeb First Amendment award dinner, which fetes people and organizations that stand up for freedom of speech.

Gingrich sharply criticized campaign finance laws he charged were reducing free speech and doing little to fight attack advertising. He also said court rulings over separation of church and state have hurt citizens' ability to express themselves and their faith.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:47 PM   #2
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

[ Posting redacted ]
Old 11-28-2006, 07:00 PM   #3
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
[ Posting redacted ]

You are on fire this last week.

Foz, I agree - Gingrich is looking to see himself as the "conservative" alternate to Guliani and McCain - apparently, this is one way of doing it. Ben Franklin's famoous line regarding liberty comes to mind here.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:19 PM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The line I was going to use (but decided against using initially) was that Gingrich is hoping that there is a "movement" that would sweep him into the race for the Presidency.

If there is, could we call it a bowel movement, cuz it seems to me the end result would be the same.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:29 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Newt continues to move himself further toward becoming my top pick for the nomination ... which virtually assures that he'll shoot himself in the foot with me on some other issue sooner rather than later.

If I had to hazard a guess, I suspect he'll blow it on immigration or defense of marriage. So far he hasn't, but I figure his position will soften on one or the other of those & that'll doom him with me.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #6
Subby
lolzcat

So there is this movie called V for Vendetta...
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 PM   #7
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's a shame actually. I heard Newt give a speech once on, I think it was President's Day. It was about the history and context of the Linclon/Douglas debates. And it was a facinating speech. He demonstrated a very deep knowledge of and respect for this nation's history and the principles on which it was founded.

I have a feeling that I would agree much more with Newt the person and former history professor than I do with Newt the neocon politician.

So that is a shame. I think that Newt would have something to offer us intellectually if he were not pandering for votes.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
WVUFAN
College Starter

Nothing in that article says anything about what specifically needs revised. Wouldn't it be prudent to actually wait and see what he says before judging?

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:15 PM   #9
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Nothing in that article says anything about what specifically needs revised. Wouldn't it be prudent to actually wait and see what he says before judging?

lol ... silly man

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:18 PM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUFAN View Post
Well he certainly doesn't want to expand free speech.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Well he certainly doesn't want to expand free speech.

He wants to be a college president too?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 08:34 PM   #12
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the article
Gingrich, speaking at a Manchester awards banquet, said a "different set of rules" may be needed to reduce terrorists' ability to use the Internet and free speech to recruit and get out their message.

I'm curious by what he means about a different set of rules. I don't see what the United States can do to curtail terrorists using the Internet.

Quote:
Gingrich sharply criticized campaign finance laws he charged were reducing free speech and doing little to fight attack advertising. He also said court rulings over separation of church and state have hurt citizens' ability to express themselves and their faith.

Let me see if I get this right. Free speech on the Internet = BAD. The wealthy exercising their "free speech" by buying politicians = GOOD.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #13
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Newt continues to move himself further toward becoming my top pick for the nomination ... which virtually assures that he'll shoot himself in the foot with me on some other issue sooner rather than later.

If I had to hazard a guess, I suspect he'll blow it on immigration or defense of marriage. So far he hasn't, but I figure his position will soften on one or the other of those & that'll doom him with me.

Steven Tyler of Aerosmith said it best.....

"Crazy, Like Howard's neighbor 'cept different but in a far more dangerous way!! Crazy, Jon's so far right he scares the crap outta anyone sane!!" It went something like that I think.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:48 PM   #14
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I think the wait and see approach is appropriate here. What the article actually says is nothing to be worried about. Heck, I agree with the intent, the question is what are the rules and how are they implemented?

I wish people would get past Newt being a "neo"con because he makes much more sense then the Rove/Bush wing of the party. Wasn't there a poll out there a few months ago where they took a number of politicians, removed their name, party affiliation, and listed their accomplishments and asked who should be the most admired? I seem to recall that Newt won that which took me by surprise, or am I imagining things? I don't remember what the website was or anything like that, so that may have skewed results as well.

EDIT: Heck, once Newt was forced out of the leadership of the House, the Republicans lost their soul.

Last edited by Warhammer : 11-28-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:55 PM   #15
st.cronin
General Manager

I've never understood the Free Speech absolutists. Free speech is a means to an end, not an end in itself.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:58 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It is one of the better ways to an end of liberty... though some do believe liberty to be a means to an end as well (I'm not one of them as I do view it as an end).
Old 11-28-2006, 10:11 PM   #17
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It is one of the better ways to an end of liberty... though some do believe liberty to be a means to an end as well (I'm not one of them as I do view it as an end).

Boy, that's a loaded statement, philosophically-speaking. I guess we could go on and on about that, from a legal, historical and human nature perspective!
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:10 AM   #18
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I actually found myself agreeing with Newt a bit from time to time lately but this goes back the other direction.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:22 PM   #19
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I actually found myself agreeing with Newt a bit from time to time lately but this goes back the other direction.

SI

Ditto.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 04:30 PM   #20
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I saw him on Meet the Press this morning and I like the general thrust of his message. However, as soon as he started talking about curtailing the first amendment, I just had to cringe. That said, at least he is trying to be academically honest about his intentions. He's actually trying to address the argument of freedom versus security rather than just hiding behind a damning "if you're not for us, you're agin' us" attitude"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-17-2006 at 04:31 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote