Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-14-2003, 02:05 PM   #1
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

PING: Bengals Fans & NFL Draftniks

This is a bit of a carryover thread from our mock draft, but I wanted to particularly target the Bengals' fans.

I am curious about the #1 pick and what you think is really going on. Obviously the rumors are swirling, and some (if not most) of it is undoubtedly smokescreen. My own assessment is that trading down several slots and accumulating picks is the wisest move. If they take a QB that is more reflective of a "value" pick rather than meeting their greatest needs, IMO.

But I cannot understand the talk about taking WR Rogers. Sure, the guy is a probable impact player, but with all the Bengals' pressing needs, that does not seem like a very smart pick to me.

I'd like to hear some other opinions.

WSUCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:10 PM   #2
Noble_Platypus
College Prospect

I think that they are unfortunate to have the pick, since there doesnt seem to be a runaway player that warrents the pick, just players that might be the #1 pick overall by default. Palmer is a good player, but I get the feeling he is the top pick by default.I would lobby hard to trade down if I were Cincy, They have bigger needs than QB and WR, but no other players are considered #1 overall pick worthy.Question is who wants to get the top pick, and for who?
Old 02-14-2003, 02:12 PM   #3
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

The Bung-Holes (sorry Cincy Fans) need quantity badly..

Keeping the #1 Pick would in my opinion be a huge mistake and could be something that could add at least a couple of more years to this huge rebuilding process in the Queen City.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 02-14-2003 at 02:12 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:18 PM   #4
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I've been pinged!!!!

Ummm. Sorry bout that. Got a little carried away.

I think Palmer is the clearcut #1 to them. However, it is not carved in stone. I believe the team wants to trade down, but in order to do that, they have to hype up the value of the pick. If the threat is there of them taking Rogers at #1, that pick becomes more valuable. That is where the Rogers talk comes from. Also, Marvin Lewis said in an interview on bengals.com that more speed at WR would open up the running game. He's probably right as teams stack the line to stop Dillon.

The Bengals have a decent WR corps. It is fairly deep, but Johnson is the only player with real star potential. Warrick arguably, but he's not shown it. To have two top WR's and somebody dangerous at #3 has proven to work in the NFL the last few years. So the Rogers talk may be more than talk.

I think the ultimate goal is probably to trade down and build the defense a bit. Reading between the lines, I don't think Marvin Lewis is crazy about the CB's on the team, but then again who is? That is why I can see them shopping the pick to drop back 2-4 slots and picking up Newman. Kennedy is also an option at DT, but that is a deeper position both in the draft and in free agency than corner.

There are a lot of rumors about who would trade up. At this point they are just that, rumors. We'll know more as we move toward April. My guess is about 50/50 that they trade out of #1. If they pick at #1, I'd say it's about 80% Palmer, 15% Rogers and 5% Leftwich, whose name has surfaced in the last couple days.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:20 PM   #5
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Wouldn't this thread been better off by just pinging Draftniks? How many Bengal fans are there?

Just kidding.

Anyway, I would definitely trade down. Lots of holes to fill and the loot you get from the #1 pick would help a lot.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:22 PM   #6
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by MylesKnight
The Bung-Holes (sorry Cincy Fans) need quantity badly..

Keeping the #1 Pick would in my opinion be a huge mistake and could be something that could add at least a couple of more years to this huge rebuilding process in the Queen City.

The rebuilding process may not be as big as you think. Sure there are holes, but with cap/free agency issues, the days of teams that are free of holes really are gone. It's more about picking a strength, building on it and riding it out. That's why we've seem some great defenses with average or even poor offenses winning championships lately.

The big changes need to go beyond the talent level. The team needs a change in attitude, accountability and conditioning. That's coaching.

I wouldn't say keeping #1 is a huge mistake, but they'd for sure like to trade down. Problem is, will anybody trade up?

Last edited by scooper : 02-14-2003 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:25 PM   #7
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Even if I was a Bengal fan, I wouldnt admit it.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:27 PM   #8
scooper
College Benchwarmer

I feel the same way about soccer.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:29 PM   #9
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
I feel the same way about soccer.

Thank you for your opinion. I respect it.
Old 02-14-2003, 02:42 PM   #10
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Just ribbin you. I played until jr high when I fell in love with football.

Actually, we Bengals fan are an odd lot. To be a fan of a team that has had 12 years like the Bengals have had you have to be fiercely loyal and an eternal optimist. Many times I've tried to quit but couldn't.

You have to remember that most fans of the Bengals became so long before the current regime while Paul Brown was still alive. We watched two superbowls. Saw two QB's who were among the best at the time (Kenny and Boomer). We learned the Ickey Shuffle while cheering on a very explosive offense. We chanted Who-Dey and screamed Welcome to the Jungle and it was fun.

Part of being a fan is being loyal and patient. You can't argue that Bengals fans aren't the best at both. We know the team sucks. That's why we don't anger when other fans rip on them. Believe me, they can't come up with anything more than we already have. Other fans rip on us as fans, but have no idea what it means to be loyal to a team through the truly worst of times. We deserve a winner damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Marvin!

Who Dey!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-14-2003, 02:53 PM   #11
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
I wouldn't say keeping #1 is a huge mistake, but they'd for sure like to trade down. Problem is, will anybody trade up?

That's the key. Unless the Lions think the Bengals might take Rogers, or if Dallas wants to grab Palmer, I don't see anyone in the top 10 trying to move to #1. Does anyone outside of the top-10 want to spend the ammo to move up that high? The Bengals might have to accept a low return (compared to "normal) to move this pick.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2003, 02:59 PM   #12
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
Does anyone outside of the top-10 want to spend the ammo to move up that high? The Bengals might have to accept a low return (compared to "normal) to move this pick.

Good point. The concensus seems to be that this year's first big drop off is after 9-10 so I don't think the Bengals would be willing to trade down that far anyway.
Old 02-14-2003, 03:00 PM   #13
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Just ribbin you. I played until jr high when I fell in love with football.

Actually, we Bengals fan are an odd lot. To be a fan of a team that has had 12 years like the Bengals have had you have to be fiercely loyal and an eternal optimist. Many times I've tried to quit but couldn't.

You have to remember that most fans of the Bengals became so long before the current regime while Paul Brown was still alive. We watched two superbowls. Saw two QB's who were among the best at the time (Kenny and Boomer). We learned the Ickey Shuffle while cheering on a very explosive offense. We chanted Who-Dey and screamed Welcome to the Jungle and it was fun.

Part of being a fan is being loyal and patient. You can't argue that Bengals fans aren't the best at both. We know the team sucks. That's why we don't anger when other fans rip on them. Believe me, they can't come up with anything more than we already have. Other fans rip on us as fans, but have no idea what it means to be loyal to a team through the truly worst of times. We deserve a winner damnit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Marvin!

Who Dey!!!!!!!!!

I understand your frustrations and wish the Bengals the best of luck in the future, except when playing the Dolphins.