Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-13-2006, 08:36 PM   #1
BYU 14
Coordinator

Anyone picking up Total War Medieval 2 (which was released on Tuesday) this Friday

Really enjoyed the first one, much more than Rome. Hopefully this lives up to the hype and since it doesn't look like it will be available as a download on Direct2Drive, I will at last have an excuse to get a DVD rom for my computer.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-15-2006 at 10:16 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:38 PM   #2
LionsFan10
High School Varsity

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Really enjoyed the first one, much more than Rome. Hopefully this lives up to the hype and since it doesn't look like it will be available as a download on Direct2Drive, I will at last have an excuse to get a DVD rom for my computer.

This game has completely slipped my radar some how. I loved all of the Total War series games to this point, even if Rome wasn't everything I was hoping it would be.

Awesome news about the release though, something to look forward to should the reviews stand up. Here's hoping the game is great.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

long as it works graphically for my computer, yeah. didn't play M:TW, first played Rome, so hopefully I'll enjoy it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #4
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

Please do a search next time.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...37#post1304937
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:01 PM   #5
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post

What the....THAT thread is about the collectors pack of all the OLD games!

This thread clearly is about the NEW game.

Geez. Its like you're a mentally challenged f'ing elitist.

Last edited by Tasan : 11-13-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:03 PM   #6
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
What the....THAT thread is about the collectors pack of all the OLD games!

This thread clearly is about the NEW game.

Geez. Its like you're a mentally challenged f'ing elitist.

but last few post talks about mtw 2

No need to waste another thread.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

When the hell did you become a mod?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #8
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
When the hell did you become a mod?

If I did this, I will get rip for it. But others can start another thread without doing a search first is ok?
Old 11-13-2006, 09:09 PM   #9
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

So, in a way aren't you basically saying it's ok to rip on you if you started the thread? Since you're ripping on the threadstarter anyway?

I confused myself.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:18 PM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
If I did this, I will get rip for it. But others can start another thread without doing a search first is ok?

That thread is about a different product. I don't give a shit what you posted at the end of it, if someone did a search, and if that thread came up, they would either remember it was about a different product and move on, or read the first few posts and realize it's about a different product and move on.

It's like you intentially set up these situations by posting in old threads and changing the subject of them just so you can pull this "do a search next time" bullshit when someone starts a new thread. But then again, most people would say that would be giving you way too much credit.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:20 PM   #11
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

CONSERVE THREADS!!! We're running out!

Old 11-13-2006, 09:59 PM   #12
sabotai
General Manager

FWIW, if you want to buy MTW2 through direct download, you can buy it off of Steam.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #13
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

That's cause you're JBmagic......and I'm not.

Thanks for the heads up Sabotai, I will check that out.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:56 PM   #14
Groundhog
Coordinator

The fact that they've replaced years with turns is alarming to me, and I'm pretty sure there is no way this will play on my PC. I'll be looking at an upgrade shortly and hopefully by that time a mod will have been released that restores years, removes the dumb non-historic units that are bound to be included, and tones down cavalry (as I'm sure it'll be Rome:TW-esque again)... Basically a Medieval: Total Realism.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:35 AM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
The fact that they've replaced years with turns is alarming to me, and I'm pretty sure there is no way this will play on my PC. I'll be looking at an upgrade shortly and hopefully by that time a mod will have been released that restores years, removes the dumb non-historic units that are bound to be included, and tones down cavalry (as I'm sure it'll be Rome:TW-esque again)... Basically a Medieval: Total Realism.

That Mod is always a must and I am sure will be out fairly fast. I'm not keen on the turns vs years either, but pretty much everything else has me excited. I played the Demo and the battles are just incredible.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #16
Havok
College Starter

Im a Total War junkie myself... they are great games. But with that said, i will be waiting for a month or 2 after release to pick this up. The 'Core' of the total war games are great, but they don't really shine until some good modders get ahold of them.

The AI in MTW and Rome TW was just horrendous, watching the other sides general run head first into a line of spears to start the battle used to make me wanna delete the dam game. And the Phalanx Units in RTW were simply unbeatable. But after the modders got ahold of those games they became fantastic!

I highly recommend the Rome Total Realsim mod for RTW, it makes the game 100000% better.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:43 PM   #17
Galaril
Pro Starter

I just picked up the game. The initial batch of releases are all Limited editions. And it is the regular price. It has the the very good A&E or history channel documentary The Cross and the Crescent DVD and detailed map of the game world and the soundtrack from composer Jeff Van Dyke. I will post some impressions from it later.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:18 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I just picked up the game. The initial batch of releases are all Limited editions. And it is the regular price. It has the the very good A&E or history channel documentary The Cross and the Crescent DVD and detailed map of the game world and the soundtrack from composer Jeff Van Dyke. I will post some impressions from it later.

wtf...game isn't supposta be out yet, is it?
Old 11-15-2006, 09:36 PM   #19
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
wtf...game isn't supposta be out yet, is it?

Game came out on Tuesday at Best buy for $49.99 and you get a free $10 gift card.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #20
BYU 14
Coordinator

Available for download today on Steam as well
Old 11-15-2006, 09:47 PM   #21
jbmagic
Pro Starter

topic is wrong on the release date.

Release date was Tuesday in most stores.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:48 PM   #22
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

To be fair, the title only asks who's picking it up Friday, not that it's coming out Friday.

Last edited by Jonathan Ezarik : 11-15-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 10:13 PM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
To be fair, the title only asks who's picking it up Friday, not that it's coming out Friday.

Exactly, how many people have paydays on Tuesday?

JB's still bitter I started a duplicate thread and didn't get tarred and feathered by a pitchfork wielding FOF mob

Fixed the title just for you JB

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-15-2006 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:53 PM   #24
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

But since your "new thread" button was taken away you couldn't do it if you wanted to

Since you are not a member of the "thread starters club" perhaps you should leave the policing of all new threads to those that are
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:47 PM   #25
kmbgolf
n00b

Is 11 gb hd space for real????????????
kmbgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #26
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbgolf View Post
Is 11 gb hd space for real????????????

yes, for real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! time to upgrade ye olde hard drive, eh?
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 04:24 PM   #27
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

jbmagic's 15 minutes are up. Ignore the troll.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #28
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So did anyone actually pick this up and can give feedback or is this thread all about jb?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:59 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
So did anyone actually pick this up and can give feedback or is this thread all about jb?

i've played the demo a bunch and enjoyed it. but i havn't had time to pick it up yet (probably will tomorrow actually as i'm out by the stores). But I agree with what others have said, after the "realism patchers" get done with these games they are generally IMO 1000% better so I won't dive too deep into it even once I get it.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #30
BYU 14
Coordinator

I got it off Steam, just getting into and feeling my way around. The diplomacy seems a lot more robust and the couple of Battles I have had are awesome, really cool zooming in on the melees as the troops actually fight like individuals, great finishing moves and physics.

Seems like the AI needs some tweaking, but there is a big patch in the works to address this, definitely a shows a lot of potential.

My only real gripe is going to a turn based system vs a year and the movement of agents can be a bit tedious. There is apparently a way to speed this up, but I haven't located it yet.

Overall I think the good ratings are deserved as it there is a little bit of something for everyone. Once the mods start coming out this will be a classic.
Old 11-18-2006, 09:57 PM   #31
NickSaban
n00b

I have it and have spent nearly 20 hours playing it since Tuesday, including a "oh shit, it's 5 am" moment last night.. :-)

I'm about 110 turns into the campaign. Playing as England, I've taken over all the British Isles, most of France, and some of the Middle East (left over from a Crusade). I'm in like a 4 front war against the Mongols, the Spanish, the Byzantines, and another (green faction) I can't remember at the moment (probably b/c of the 5 am thing). It's been awesome, but I really wish I could get my assassins to be a bit more effective.. My only real gripe thus far.

Last edited by NickSaban : 11-18-2006 at 10:08 PM. Reason: expounding
NickSaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 10:06 PM   #32
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

hot. i will grab it tomorrow
Old 11-19-2006, 07:00 PM   #33
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
I got it off Steam, just getting into and feeling my way around. The diplomacy seems a lot more robust and the couple of Battles I have had are awesome, really cool zooming in on the melees as the troops actually fight like individuals, great finishing moves and physics.

Seems like the AI needs some tweaking, but there is a big patch in the works to address this, definitely a shows a lot of potential.

My only real gripe is going to a turn based system vs a year and the movement of agents can be a bit tedious. There is apparently a way to speed this up, but I haven't located it yet.

Overall I think the good ratings are deserved as it there is a little bit of something for everyone. Once the mods start coming out this will be a classic.

The only way to speed up agents slow walk is to hit the spacebar . All you have to do is hit it once during your session and they will be flying around .
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:03 PM   #34
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
The only way to speed up agents slow walk is to hit the spacebar . All you have to do is hit it once during your session and they will be flying around .

Thanks, that makes a huge difference..
Old 11-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #35
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

it's simple to change the turns back to years things. takes...one edited out line in the preferences.cfg file.

game looks really nice, and seems to play okay so far, and the best news is that the modders are already hard at work on it.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:20 PM   #36
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
it's simple to change the turns back to years things. takes...one edited out line in the preferences.cfg file.

Really? Wow, that's good news, but makes you wonder why they A; make you edit a cfg file to enable it and B; have it set to default at turns.

Quote:
game looks really nice, and seems to play okay so far, and the best news is that the modders are already hard at work on it.

how the ai?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #37
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Really? Wow, that's good news, but makes you wonder why they A; make you edit a cfg file to enable it and B; have it set to default at turns.

how the ai?

since you're interested...the relevant file is under data/world/maps/campaign/imperial_campaign in the descr_strat

txt file

you can also change playable/unplayable factions there by just moving them up and down above the line. the "timescale" button is very useful. if you change it to 0.50 you get 2 turns per year, 1.0 would give you one turn per year and 2.0 gives you a turn every two years. when you get down to "show_date_as_turns" just put ; in front of it to edit it out and close and save and you're good to go
Old 11-19-2006, 09:20 PM   #38
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

For those who were interested in the realism mod ... on the RTR site a team was formed well before the release of MTW2, and they are making a realism mod. Their work is outstanding, but will take some time to complete. FYI>
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 12:21 AM   #39
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

ohhh crap. must get game. must kill the french
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:16 PM   #40
Havok
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
ohhh crap. must get game. must kill the french

so im not the only one!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:31 PM   #41
aran
High School Varsity

I'm probably going to pick this game up this week. I've never really played a TW game much. I think I'll start here.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:53 PM   #42
dbd1963
High School JV

I have had all the TW games (though not all the add ons) and I would love to have this game, but I'm holding off until I get a sense of how much patching it needs. The first week, folks' first impressions are often a little more rosey than they should be.

I do like learning that I can move back to 2 turn/year if I want, but I would like to know how that affects the way the game plays.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 11:39 AM   #43
condors
College Starter

what is the word on this game from those who have it?
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 12:23 PM   #44
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm having fun with it. it's definately enjoyable although there are some things that need patching from CA and then there will be the inevitable "realism" mods that make it truly playable. But right now it's still definately a fun diversion even if I havn't gotten TOO serious about it.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:12 PM   #45
Anthony
Banned

for those who have this game, i'm downloading this mod as we speak. check it out, it looks pretty amazing. i think you can play the Templars as a faction, if i read it correctly. if so, it is SO on.

i'll let you guys know how it turns out once i start a new campaign.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #46
Anthony
Banned

hmmm...can't get it to load on my PC. the load screen flashes for a sec and then it just goes to my desktop. oh well.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 12:43 PM   #47
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

HA...i have stainless steel 4.1 installed and play it exclusively, on my laptop. have you tried uninstalling the game and doing a clean install followed by patches+mod?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:05 PM   #48
Blade6119
Coordinator

I use stainless steal and it works great for me too...i think i might have preferred The Long Road more, but im trying SS
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #49
KWhit
Coordinator

I just want to revisit the title of this thread. Possibly the most confusing title ever.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 03:13 PM   #50
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
I use stainless steal and it works great for me too...i think i might have preferred The Long Road more, but im trying SS

Mr. Blade-san:

Any idea how to get one of those arrow-thingies that connects England to the mainland like Long Road has, in Stainless Steel? I'm sick of having to keep a huge fleet massed there to row guys across the Channel when IMO it's not that relevant.

Long Road was nice, I just prefer something about Stainless Steel.