Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Who will cover the spread?
Raiders (+7) 6 21.43%
Seahawks (-7) 22 78.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
PSUColonel
Banned

MNF: Raiders vs. Seahawks

Pick em

PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:17 PM   #2
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I'll choose Heroes instead, thanks.

Seriously, this is the first MNF game this year, that I have almost no interest in watching. I think the Seahawks even with Wallace in there will beat the Raiders by at least two touchdowns.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 11-06-2006 at 02:18 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Scoreless tie where Thiesmann falls out of the booth to his ultimate demise.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:19 PM   #4
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

I hope Tony pushes him...now THAT'S MUST SEE TV!!!!

Last edited by johnnyshaka : 11-06-2006 at 02:19 PM.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's football and nothing else is on...I'll be watching. As long as the Raiders lose, I don't care by how much. The worse the score or more humiliating the defeat, the bigger my smile.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-06-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #6
Butter
Coordinator

Sounds like a downright miserable game to watch. I'll be watching my DVR'd MLS Western Conf. final game instead.
Old 11-06-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I will be watching, of course.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
kingfc22
Head Coach

5 sacks allowed by the Raiders already. And we still have 3 quarters to go. LMAO!
Old 11-06-2006, 08:50 PM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Missed it, and didn't see any replays. What was the deal with the unsportsmanlike conduct call on the Raiders on the Seattle FG attempt?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Missed it, and didn't see any replays. What was the deal with the unsportsmanlike conduct call on the Raiders on the Seattle FG attempt?

Apparently defensive players cannot make 'hut' sounds to cause the Oline to false start. The referee would have to hear the defensive player making such sounds to throw the flag.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:56 PM   #11
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Apparently defensive players cannot make 'hut' sounds to cause the Oline to false start. The referee would have to hear the defensive player making such sounds to throw the flag.

Ah, I see. That's one of those rarely called penalties that probably happens several times a game. Thanks for the update.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #12
bhlloy
Coordinator

Tom Walsh should be fired at half time. The line clearly can't block long enough for Walter to drop back, go through his progressions and find an open guy. So how many screens, slants and quick routes have the Raiders called so far? How many draw plays? There may be a reason he ran a bed & breakfast in Idaho for the last 7 years.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:19 PM   #13
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

JESUS i just got home and see that walter has been sacked 9 times so far. that is crazy
Old 11-06-2006, 10:24 PM   #14
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

ESPN.com's desperation headline -

Quote:
Will Seattle set a record for sacks in an NFL game? Will Oakland score? Will it stop raining? See, there are reasons to watch MNF (ESPN Live). Hey, the Raiders might rally, down 13-0 to the Seahawks.

Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:41 PM   #15
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Knee to the groin!

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

With the Raiders there is always a reason to keep watching .
Old 11-06-2006, 10:42 PM   #17
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Knee to the groin!

Typcal Faiders. What a team full of losers; coaches, players and ownership. Go back to LA, losers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #18
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
With the Raiders there is always a reason to keep watching .

HAHA. That knee to the groin was totally classless, but Stevens is a little bitch. Not sad to see him get a shot in the nuts.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #19
Rizon
Pro Starter

I'm not sure what's worse: the Faiders or the MNF booth. When The Boz showed up, that offically killed MNF for me. You just can't get any worse than that.
Quote:
Old 11-06-2006, 10:47 PM   #20
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

Also, was that Christian Slater in the booth earlier. With Wilborn, that makes 3 guests in one night. This is just dumb.

ESPN has totally destroyed MNF.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:49 PM   #21
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post
Also, was that Christian Slater in the booth earlier. With Wilborn, that makes 3 guests in one night. This is just dumb.

Yes. Originally I was going to say having Slater on there ruined MNF forever, but then they brought the Boz. ESPN should just stay away from sports forever. Or maybe this is the future of sports. Or maybe it's the sports of now. Either way, I'm probably going to get into crocheting now.
Quote:
Old 11-06-2006, 10:57 PM   #22
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinatieri for Prez View Post

I thought the only people that brought Christian Slater in for anything lately was the police...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:04 PM   #23
bhlloy
Coordinator

I thought Slater was coked up on air, he kept making strange whooping noises when anything happened on the field and just seemed very jumpy and excitable overall.

The whole presentation is just so gimmicky and Kornheiser and Theismann are so bad - for ESPN's flagship program it's pretty unbelievable they can't do a better job. Why do all the good announcers get the crappy local games when there are Madden and Theismann doing the flagship games? Makes very little sense to me.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:33 AM   #24
miami_fan
Coordinator

Where are the FOFC media folks? There has to be some study or research out there that shows a significant ratings boost when they bring these folks into the booth. I can accept Wilbon to a point, but Slater? Boz? When was the last time Boz was significant in football?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #25
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I could see if Slater's favorite team was the Seahawks or Raiders. He said his favorite team was the Jets. Why even have him in the booth other than hype his movie?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:55 AM   #26
Ksyrup

Zero points, 9 sacks, keystone cops offense, and a suspendable cheap shot. Yep, it was worth watching the Raiders!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-07-2006, 06:59 AM   #27
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I thought Slater was coked up on air, he kept making strange whooping noises when anything happened on the field and just seemed very jumpy and excitable overall.

The whole presentation is just so gimmicky and Kornheiser and Theismann are so bad - for ESPN's flagship program it's pretty unbelievable they can't do a better job. Why do all the good announcers get the crappy local games when there are Madden and Theismann doing the flagship games? Makes very little sense to me.

We have this discussion nearly every week. Programs like Monday Night Football are not just for sports fans. It was considered, when on ABC, and now on ESPN, to be a prime-time show. The object of the show is to get as many people to watch as possible. That means not just you and I, but the Dancing With the Stars crowd, or any other demographic that might not otherwise watch a football game, while throwing a bone to the sports fan with the actual game. That's just how it is. It's a rating play, because the MNF franchise exploded years ago into an "American Institution," meaning network executives are going to try to capitalize on that by making it an entertainment show based on a football game.

Deal with it, or don't watch it.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:04 AM   #28
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
We have this discussion nearly every week. Programs like Monday Night Football are not just for sports fans. It was considered, when on ABC, and now on ESPN, to be a prime-time show. The object of the show is to get as many people to watch as possible. That means not just you and I, but the Dancing With the Stars crowd, or any other demographic that might not otherwise watch a football game, while throwing a bone to the sports fan with the actual game. That's just how it is. It's a rating play, because the MNF franchise exploded years ago into an "American Institution," meaning network executives are going to try to capitalize on that by making it an entertainment show based on a football game.

Honest questions here: Did ESPN even advertise before the game that Christian Slater was going to be a guest? If yes, did they tell people at what point during the game that Christian Slater was going to be a guest? If yes, how many people from the "non-sports fan" demographic actually watched the first 1.5 quarters so they could see Christian Slater as a guest?

If the answer is "no" to any of the above questions, I think ESPN struck out last night when they tried to appeal to Hollywood fans who don't care for football.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:05 AM   #29
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

That's much better than demanding to the network that the football game coverage actually deals with the football.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:07 AM   #30
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Honest questions here: Did ESPN even advertise before the game that Christian Slater was going to be a guest? If yes, did they tell people at what point during the game that Christian Slater was going to be a guest? If yes, how many people from the "non-sports fan" demographic actually watched the first 1.5 quarters so they could see Christian Slater as a guest?

If the answer is "no" to any of the above questions, I think ESPN struck out last night when they tried to appeal to Hollywood fans who don't care for football.

Good questions. Does ESPN gain more non-football fans than they lose football fans doing this? I don't even bother with MNF now and I don't think I've ever met anyone that says they watch MNF for the guest stars.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:19 AM   #31
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:

A great example of this was the commercial that came on after the game. The one with the football guys dancing around like Riverdance or something, and then it went on talking about how football tries to play to all audiences, and then it changed to a look of horror from a husband and wife watching the game.

Since all sports seem to be heading in this direction, it's a huge turnoff for those of us that actually want to watch sports. And it's a big reason why I hardly find myself wanting to watch games anymore.
Quote:
Old 11-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #32
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Raiders are 2 for 2 in getting shutout during primetime.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:38 AM   #33
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post

The simple answer is...we're largely talking about wives/GFs who are forced to watch the game with their husbands/BFs. So at some point in the second quarter of a crappy game that even the BF is having a hard time justifying watching, all of a sudden they trot Slater out there, and the GF says, "Ooh, wait, Christian Slater is on!" And that hooks her for a few more segments than they would have had if the BF decided he couldn't justify watching the game anymore (or he wanted to save some "football TV time" for better games next week).

By the time the 2nd half started, 75% of the women in the audience are asleep or damn near close, so they trot out Wilbon and Boz for the PTI and Stone Cold fans. I'm surprised they didn't get Bo Jackson out there, too, since that MNF Oak/Sea game was arguably his finest moment in pro football.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-07-2006 at 08:38 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:55 AM   #34
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Knee to the groin!

That was the most well-executed play by a Raider all game.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I didn't watch the game, but I thought this was one of the best bets all year. Glad I followed through since I very rarely bet on sports
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:15 AM   #36
SunDevil
College Prospect

It is good to see that ESPN has picked up and is carrying the torch from ABC of showing horrible match ups on a supposedly Primetime showcase games.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 10:33 AM   #37
JediKooter
Coordinator

That knee to the nuts was about the only thing the Raiders were able to block the whole game.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #38
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Raiders are 2 for 2 in getting shutout during primetime.

2 for 3. Scored 3 pts on the Broncos!
Old 11-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #39
st.cronin
General Manager

Andrew Walters may be a decent prospect, but he is getting ruined by the Raiders this year. They need to bench him asap.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 05:38 PM   #40
Brillig
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Andrew Walters may be a decent prospect, but he is getting ruined by the Raiders this year. They need to bench him asap.

Hah. You're talking like he needs to keep his spleen.
Brillig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:14 PM   #41
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

Agreed. I worried he'll turn into David Carr.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:48 PM   #42
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army View Post
Agreed. I worried he'll turn into David Carr.

No, because David Carr is still alive. At this rate Walters will die by extreme sacking by week 11.
Quote:

Last edited by Rizon : 11-07-2006 at 07:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #43
jbmagic
Pro Starter

3 sacks on one series wow.

1st down sack, 2nd down sack and 3rd down sack.

I never seen that before.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #44
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
3 sacks on one series wow.

1st down sack, 2nd down sack and 3rd down sack.

I never seen that before.
Keep watching the Raiders this year, and you'll see it again.

And again.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:35 AM   #45
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

And again.