Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #1
Barkeep49
Coordinator

FOF2k7: Drafting QBs

First let me state that I have been extremely frustrated finding a scout who is both good in QB and young talent and who is somewhat passable in other areas. So my difficulties might lie with the scout.

However, that said, it seems like almost all the QBs I look at are either over rated, very over rated, or as scouted, which isn't helpful in that case because they scout poorly.

Obviously drafting a QB is a hard thing. However, with the paucity of good QBs reaching FA, it seems like drafting one is more important than ever. How have others had success? Or are others noticing difficulties here as well?

Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:07 AM   #2
aran
High School Varsity

I started a fictional universe and picked one of the crappiest teams to take control of (something like 18 wins total in the first 4 seasons). I drafted two QBs in the first draft of my tenure, both ended up busting horribly. I ended up picking up a 47/47 in FA and neither of the two draftees played a single game as the starting QB for my team for the duration of their contracts.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:19 AM   #3
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I've had some pleasant draft picks and some terrible ones. I really like the new style of drafting.

That said, I haven't seen any QBs I have been taken with so I really haven't drafted any outside of the initial draft.

I've also had problems with finding good DBs as well.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 03:25 AM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I've had some pleasant draft picks and some terrible ones. I really like the new style of drafting.

That said, I haven't seen any QBs I have been taken with so I really haven't drafted any outside of the initial draft.

I've also had problems with finding good DBs as well.

Drafting feels almost totally new to me, I love it.

As for QBs, I only have a couple drafts under my belt so far. I did find a really good 'highly underrated' guy down the list a ways. I kept putting off grabbing him though because I had other needs (I have a 10 year vet who is one of the league's best of my fictional league). I would have grabbed him sooner but he had a conflict with a team leader, so he wasn't a major want for me.

DB's have been ok for me so far.

Like I said though, I haven't had time to see guys really pan out yet though. I play 2007 much slower then I did previous versions so far.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:33 AM   #5
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Drafting feels almost totally new to me, I love it.

Agreed, my latest QB was picked up in the 3rd round, showed up with a potential of 64 on my roster and dropped to 51 after training camp. Yikes!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:34 AM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I've certainly seen some huge busts already, I'm talking guys who go from something like 40/60 to 20/30, this is probably a combination of bad scouting and busting though. Overall I like the new system, but it does make it harder to find those really great QBs, and with QBs staying with their teams a lot longer...overall it's gotten more realistic.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:37 AM   #7
Peregrine
Pro Starter

dola - One thing I've done if I can't find an obvious great QB is search free agency for some lower rated guys who have had a really good year or two, I figure if they can perform well on the field their ratings don't matter as much, and if I have good receivers this strategy seems to work pretty well so far.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 07:45 AM   #8
twothree
College Prospect

What difficulty level did you use? The easiest level, Main Street, has about the same scouting error as FOF 2004, while the two higher levels have higher levels of scouting error, according to the help file.

I have seen a few posts with people discussing the scouts, but no one states what difficulty level they are using. Does everyone pick Wall Street as the default option?

Last edited by twothree : 11-05-2006 at 07:48 AM.
twothree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:10 AM   #9
dbd1963
High School JV

I found a QB with a low current and a high potential in FA. He was already a 6th year and had bounced around four different teams. I started him with a mentor on the squad and he blossomed into a great QB. You might look for these high potential guys cut loose after their initial rookie contract.
dbd1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:21 AM   #10
PraetorianX
High School JV

I don't know, my current franchise QB (Allen Stetson out of LSU) was picked in the 3rd round. He's only rated at 56 but he's got 70+ in all areas except two (Short passing, scramble frequency) and has a perfect 100 in third down throwing. And he's got the stats to back up those ratings two, think of Peyton manning in his early years (tons of yards, tons of TD's, and a good number of INT's as well)

This last year as I was drafting, I happened to notice this VERY good looking QB still there in the middle of the 5th round. I had already taken most of my 'need' positions so I said, what the heck, and drafted him (I'd let my pretty solid backup go in free agency anyway). He turned out to be rated about 63 and has futures in the 70's in everything except long passes and sensing the rush.

I think I'll probably end up trading him in a year or so, might be able to get some good draft picks out of him.
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:28 AM   #11
WebEwbank
High School JV

Certainly the frequency of available franchise QBs is a lot less in FOF2007 in both draft and FA.

My best careers have been when I started with Dawson/Livingston (1970 Chiefs) or Brady (2006 Pats).

I do try to listen to my scout and to scout 8-10 deep at my positions of need. I struggle to remember that an overrated 8.6 player may well be stronger than a 6.8 very underrated player...

I have had some memorable busts - usually drafted #3-#10 overall. The worst have been - surprisingly - at MLB and RB.
WebEwbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:29 AM   #12
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post
I have seen a few posts with people discussing the scouts, but no one states what difficulty level they are using. Does everyone pick Wall Street as the default option?

I think so.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:02 AM   #13
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twothree View Post

I can't remember when I last used anything but Wall Street level for an FOF game. I think most guys who have played FOF for a long time would say the same.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:26 AM   #14
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

This may make an interesting poll to formally take. I was also wondering what people used as the difficulty level and why.
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:24 PM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

I'm willing to admit that I chose the middle difficulty to start (5th avenue maybe?) since I hadn't played FOF since the 2k1 version and didn't know how long it would take me to remember all the strategies. I'm about halfway through my dynasty, but my next one will be back to Wall Street.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote