Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-31-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Groundhog
Coordinator

The 2006-07 NBA Regular Season Thread

3 mins till tip off (if I've got my timezones correct) of the season!

The Bulls are heading to Miami to kick off the season. Tough start to the season for the Bulls. Heat by 8.

Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

We gave Miami a tougher challenge than anyone outside maybe Dallas last year in the Playoffs.

Bulls squeak this one out by 4.

Go Bulls!
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:13 PM   #3
miami_fan
Coordinator

Time to get the rings BABY!

Unfortunately I think the emotion of the night may help the Bulls more than it does the Heat.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:14 PM   #4
Groundhog
Coordinator

I really like the Bulls roster this year. I've been a huge fan of Hinrich since his Kansas days, but Ben Gordon, Ben Wallace, Chris Duhon and P.J. Brown are all players I really like as well. I wasn't sold on Tyrus Thomas prior to the draft, but he did better than I expected in pre-season.

Bulls and Bucks (because of Bogut) will be the other 2 teams outside of Cleveland that I'll enjoy watching the most this year. It's just a shame they are all in the Central division!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Yeah the Central Division is absolutely loaded.

And from what I have seen, I am loving Tyrus. He's got so much potential and is as athletic of a player as there in the league. He reminds me of a Shawn Kemp circa '96.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:18 PM   #6
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Yeah the Central Division is absolutely loaded.

And from what I have seen, I am loving Tyrus. He's got so much potential and is as athletic of a player as there in the league. He reminds me of a Shawn Kemp circa '96.

Please don't jinx Tyrus! What did he ever do to you?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 10-31-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I really like the Bulls roster this year. I've been a huge fan of Hinrich since his Kansas days, but Ben Gordon, Ben Wallace, Chris Duhon and P.J. Brown are all players I really like as well. I wasn't sold on Tyrus Thomas prior to the draft, but he did better than I expected in pre-season.

Bulls and Bucks (because of Bogut) will be the other 2 teams outside of Cleveland that I'll enjoy watching the most this year. It's just a shame they are all in the Central division!

What is the deal with Bogut's injury? First he is out 6-8 weeks then he is going to start opening night? I hope they are not rushing him back
Old 10-31-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
What is the deal with Bogut's injury? First he is out 6-8 weeks then he is going to start opening night? I hope they are not rushing him back

He's starting on opening night? I wasn't aware of that. I read a few ago that he was recovering much quicker than expected, but wow. I don't think they'd risk rushing him back as Gadzuric is a serviceable replacement, perhaps his injury wasn't as bad as was first thought?
Old 10-31-2006, 07:22 PM   #9
Groundhog
Coordinator

Wade with 6 points in 3 minutes. Not too shabby.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:27 PM   #10
Groundhog
Coordinator

2 quick fouls for Shaq, and in comes Zo. The Heat were statistically more effective with Zo on the floor last year, interestingly.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
miami_fan
Coordinator

MILWAUKEE -- Bucks center Andrew Bogut is expected to start Milwaukee's season opener at Detroit on Wednesday night after rejoining practice over the weekend.

Bogut, the top pick in the 2005 NBA draft, was diagnosed with a lower left leg sprain after he banged his leg into teammate Steve Blake's knee during a scrimmage Oct. 7. The injury originally was expected to sideline him six to eight weeks.

But Bogut returned to the court last week to shoot and do some individual drills, then practiced over the weekend.

After taking part in a full practice Monday, Bogut said he should be ready for the season opener.

"About Wednesday I did a fitness test and passed it," Bogut said. "I did a full session Saturday and a full session today, and I'm feeling fine."

He said his goal since the injury was to return in time for the opener.

"It was more of a challenge to try to get back quicker," he said. "Three weeks is good enough for me."

Coach Terry Stotts said he expected to use Bogut in the starting lineup, with Brian Skinner and Dan Gadzuric as reserves.

The rest of the starting lineup is expected to include guards Michael Redd and Mo Williams and forwards Ruben Patterson and Charlie Villanueva.

Forward Bobby Simmons has been sidelined with a heel injury.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
Old 10-31-2006, 07:38 PM   #12
Groundhog
Coordinator

Interesting...

Sounds like it's all good to go though, and not that they are rushing him back.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:55 PM   #13
jbmagic
Pro Starter

I can't wait for my Lakers to start. Been a fan of Lakers since Magic Johnson's rookie season.
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 07:56 PM   #14
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Wow, that zero tolerance technical rule is ridiculous.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:23 PM   #15
miami_fan
Coordinator

Like I said
Old 10-31-2006, 08:27 PM   #16
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Not a bad start. Hopefully our young team can stay focused and not let the game get close in the fourth, because we know that is DWade time.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:33 PM   #17
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Nice to see Ernie back as host for TNT.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:19 PM   #18
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yikes. Come back from my lunch break and the Heat are getting stomped. Looking at their bench, they are really quite a shallow squad, aren't they?

Zo is good, Posey is OK, but it really drops off after that with a score of inexperienced players. I know that Williams is out injured, but is Doleac injured too?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:50 PM   #19
Groundhog
Coordinator

I wonder what the record is for worst loss to start the season by the previous season's NBA champion? 42 points would have to be close...
Old 10-31-2006, 09:51 PM   #20
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
I wonder what the record is for worst loss to start the season by the previous season's NBA champion? 42 points would have to be close...

They said the 1982 Lakers lost 132-115 to the Warriors was the worst before.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:55 PM   #21
Groundhog
Coordinator

Wow, so the Heat (or should that be Bulls) absolutely destroyed that record.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:56 PM   #22
Groundhog
Coordinator

Wow, Bynum starting for the Lakers? Was that expected? Both Brown and Mihm injured?
Old 10-31-2006, 09:58 PM   #23
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Wow, Bynum starting for the Lakers? Was that expected? Both Brown and Mihm injured?

yes both out with injuries
Old 10-31-2006, 10:06 PM   #24
Groundhog
Coordinator

Suns aiming for 100 before half time...

Lakers also doing really well on the boards, scooping up every single Suns miss - a whole 2 misses from 14 shots.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:08 PM   #25
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Damn the Suns.

Too bad Kobe is hurt too. I don't think it would of made a difference. Phoenix is shooting lights out.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:10 PM   #26
Groundhog
Coordinator

With the exception of Lamar Odom the Lakers have an absolutely horrendous starting 5 tonight. Unless the Suns turn cold as ice in the second half this is going to be a massive blow out.

At least Jordan Farmar will get some court time.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:14 PM   #27
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
With the exception of Lamar Odom the Lakers have an absolutely horrendous starting 5 tonight. Unless the Suns turn cold as ice in the second half this is going to be a massive blow out.

At least Jordan Farmar will get some court time.

Yep

Most of the Lakers players are role players for Kobe. Without Kobe it doesn't work out well. Kobe helps them by setting them up for a shot or gets attention from the defense.

I really like the young guys like Bynum, Farmer and Walton, Cook, Turiaf and Kwayme Brown. The future looks bright. They need to play with each and get experience.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:16 PM   #28
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I wish I had known all these guys were hurt before I took the over 208 total on tonight's game.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:17 PM   #29
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
I wish I had known all these guys were hurt before I took the over 208 total on tonight's game.

You might still

Phoenix on pace to get 160 points..

So that means Lakers only need 49 points.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:27 PM   #30
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic View Post
Yep

Most of the Lakers players are role players for Kobe. Without Kobe it doesn't work out well. Kobe helps them by setting them up for a shot or gets attention from the defense.

I really like the young guys like Bynum, Farmer and Walton, Cook, Turiaf and Kwayme Brown. The future looks bright. They need to play with each and get experience.

I like most of those guys (excluding perhaps Brown) too, but yeah like you say, they are young and strictly bit players at this point in time. The problem is that outside of Kobe and Odom, bit players describes most of their roster.

Mihm is OK, Smush Parker and Radmanovic are mediocre, the rest are just bit players who see too much court time, even with a healthy Kobe.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:34 PM   #31
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Nice run by the Lakers in the 2nd quarter. Now the score is 46-40 Phoenix.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:44 PM   #32
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Heh. DWade Got DStroyed
Old 10-31-2006, 11:03 PM   #33
Groundhog
Coordinator

I almost bought a pair of the new DWade shoes for basketball yesterday too. Glad I went with the trusty Jordans instead.
Old 10-31-2006, 11:51 PM   #34
Groundhog
Coordinator

Suns are learning that you can't let any team - even a Kobe-less Lakers - shoot 58% from the floor and expect to win. Horrendous game for them, while Odom, Bynum and Evans are all playing really well.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:18 AM   #35
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Bynum played really well in his first start. Odom look very aggressive. He has to keep that up even when Kobe comes back.

Nice win for the Lakers.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:29 AM   #36
miami_fan
Coordinator

Well that was a beatdown! I hope the Heat does not decide to rest on their laurels. I knew the Bulls would be a lot better but they looked scary good last night. The Heat are only seven deep right now. Time to see what Pat Riley's ratings as far as evaluating young talent. The two that draw the most interest for me are Dorrell Wright and Wayne Simien.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:11 AM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wow, that zero tolerance technical rule is ridiculous.

Not really. I hope they tech like crazy so the guys get in line.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:04 PM   #38
miami_fan
Coordinator

I just caught the end of the ESPN's pregame. Is Steven A Smith not a part of the show this year?
Old 11-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #39
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Not really. I hope they tech like crazy so the guys get in line.

Nocioni raised his hands up, said nothing as he was walking back and got called for a technical.

Anybody who plays basketball knows it's an emotional game. Yes there are players in the league who over do it but to make them all robots out there is just silly.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #40
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

This new Cleveland Cavalier court is really really not appeasing to the eyes.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #41
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Recently waived Rose will sign with Suns
Quote:
PHOENIX -- Add Jalen Rose to the Phoenix Suns' already impressive offensive lineup.

Jalen Rose
Rose

Rose reached an agreement Friday to sign a one-year, $1.5 million contract, with the Suns, slightly more than the NBA veteran's minimum.

The versatile guard-forward, who received a $14.5 million buyout from the New York Knicks, had narrowed his choices to Phoenix and Miami, then announced his choice on his Web site. He is expected to be in uniform for the Suns at San Antonio on Wednesday.

In his lengthy blog entry, Rose said being waived by the Knicks "has created an opportunity to find a team to play on that will hopefully get me back into the playoffs with a realistic opportunity to win an NBA championship."

"Offensively, he's very gifted," Suns coach and general Mike D'Antoni said before his team's game against Utah on Friday night. "Passing, playmaking, shooting. I mean, the guy can shoot. He brings a lot of things offensively."

Any defensive deficiencies are offset by what he brings to the offensive-oriented, super-fast Suns attack.

Heat coach Pat Riley said Rose called him Friday afternoon to announce his decision. Miami was talking to Rose for several days, and Riley said Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade were among those who were trying to woo Rose to South Beach.

"There was a lot of interest on both sides, trying to get him to come," Riley said. "For whatever reason, and I didn't ask him for it, he decided to go to Phoenix."

The Suns will be Rose's sixth NBA team. The 33-year-old, 6-foot-8 swingman has a career average of 14.7 points per game. He averaged 12.7 points in 26 games for the Knicks last season after being acquired from the Toronto Raptors.

Rose will play primarily small forward and shooting guard -- in that order -- D'Antoni said, on a team that already had a deep rotation.

"When you have too much talent or too many guys, it's a nice problem to have," D'Antoni said. "Well, we just added a nicer problem."

The addition will make for spirited competition for playing time, D'Antoni said.

"I know some guys will be shortchanged," the Suns coach said. "You hate that because they all deserve to play, but this is about the Phoenix Suns ultimately and whatever it takes to win a championship."

Rose wants to follow the path of Tim Thomas, who parlayed a successful stint with the Suns last season into a lucrative contract with the Los Angeles Clippers. Rose will play in a fast-paced style directed by two-time MVP point guard Steve Nash, rather than the more structured approach of Riley's Heat. Thomas and Rose both are represented by agent Arn Tellem.

Rose began his career in Denver, then moved to Indiana and Chicago before joining the Raptors.
Old 11-05-2006, 04:17 PM   #42
Groundhog
Coordinator

Andrew Bogut last season: 9.4ppg 7.0rpg .533 fg%

Andrew Bogut over three games this season: 18.3ppg 8.0rpg .688 fg%

Only 3 games, but pretty impressive anyhow. Looks like moving Magloire for a more versatile forward like Villa and playing Bogut at his natural position is paying off.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:30 PM   #43
Groundhog
Coordinator

Rookie Rankings thus far, according to NBA.com:

1. Brandon Roy, G, Portland - 18.3ppg, 4.3rpg, 5.0ppg
2. Rudy Gay, F, Memphis - 11.0ppg, 5.7rpg, 0.0apg
3. Adam Morrison, F, Charlotte - 16.0ppg, 1.7rpg, 2.0apg
4. Craig Smith, F, Minnesota - 11.0ppg, 3.0rpg, 0.0apg
5. Thabo Sefolosha, G, Chicago - 8.0ppg, 3.0rpg, 1.3apg
6. Rajon Rondo, G, Boston - 5.7ppg, 3.7rpg, 3.0apg
7. Jordan Farmar, G, L.A. Lakers - 7.8ppg, 1.5rpg, 1.5apg
8. Marcus Williams, G, New Jersey - 5.5ppg, 5.5rpg, 2.5apg
9. Tyrus Thomas, F, Chicago - 3.0ppg, 3.0rpg, 1.0apg
10. Jorge Garbajosa, F, Toronto - 4.7ppg, 3.3rpg, 1.3apg

Looks like Minnesota got a steal with Craig Smith, though they should have kept Roy rather than Foye and even without the power of foresight that was clear from day one. Roy should be a lock for Rookie of the Year if he can come close to mainting his current pace. Morrison needs to do something other than shoot the ball if he wants to challenge, but Rudy Gay probably has a legit crack at it as well.

I wanted Farmar or Douby for the Cavs in the draft while hoping to steer clear of Rondo, and thus far Farmar has impressed, Douby hasn't played, and Rondo has been pretty good.

Marcus Williams hasn't shot the ball well, but it was always clear that he was a gigantic steal that low. I really don't know what teams were thinking by letting him slip down to the Nets. It might have been a case like the Paul Pierce year, where teams didn't figure he'd be around where they were picking so they didn't even consider him. I would have taken him over any other PG in this draft, even Roy, who has been handling the ball a lot in Portland.

Shelden Williams has started for Atlanta thanks to Marvin Williams's injury, but has been about as good as he was in preseason (ie. not very good) and missed his first 9 shots over 3 games before finally scoring his first NBA field goal.

Andrea Bargnani should have been in the top 10 over Tyrus Thomas, who probably made the list thanks solely to his tip-slam over Shaq. Bargnani meanwhile has hit some shots and looks to have carried his preseason form over to the regular season, and has scored 2, 4, and 8 points over three games, meaning he is up for a 16 point game next.

Kyle Lowry is the other rookie of note, and has struggled with his shooting (1-7 so far), but pulled down 10 boards against the Knicks, which is pretty impressive for a 6-0 PG.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:18 AM   #44
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Let's Go Jazz!!

Oh, and Lakers too.

I love it when my teams are kicking ass.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:15 PM   #45
Groundhog
Coordinator

Some early surprises:

Jazz, 4-0. I don't think anyone expected this good a start, but they have played 3 home games.
Sixers, 3-0. Korver has been on fire, but it can't last.
Atlanta, 2-1. Over .500??
Miami, 1-2. Everyone knows that the Heat don't show up till the postseason, and injuries haven't helped.
Suns, 1-3. Suns looking great in the preseason.
Dallas, 0-3. Ouch.

Still early days, but a lot of sucky teams are doing OK, while the three main contenders (Suns, Mavs, Heat) are starting slow. Of course, it's not how you start, but how you finish.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:29 PM   #46
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Lowery and Gay are going to be big moves for Memphis down the line.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:31 PM   #47
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Thebo is going to be a stud for the Bulls.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:34 PM   #48
Subby
lolzcat

The Wizards had a nice heated battle for starting center this preseason (and this season, evidently) with Etan Thomas emerging as the winner.

He put up monster numbers last night against ORL (15 boards and 6 blocks). If they can get their perimeter defense straight, this could be the kind of breakthrough that gets them deeper into the playoffs...
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:42 PM   #49
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
The Wizards had a nice heated battle for starting center this preseason (and this season, evidently) with Etan Thomas emerging as the winner.

He put up monster numbers last night against ORL (15 boards and 6 blocks). If they can get their perimeter defense straight, this could be the kind of breakthrough that gets them deeper into the playoffs...

I was just about to post this too. I think it's funny. Haywood seems to think the starting spot is his by birthright or something, despite the fact that he only shows up once every five games. Thomas, meanwhile, has just been amazing so far so it's not a good time for Haywood to get too fired up about it.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:00 AM   #50
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some early surprises:

Jazz, 4-0. I don't think anyone expected this good a start, but they have played 3 home games.
Sixers, 3-0. Korver has been on fire, but it can't last.
Atlanta, 2-1. Over .500??
Miami, 1-2. Everyone knows that the Heat don't show up till the postseason, and injuries haven't helped.
Suns, 1-3. Suns looking great in the preseason.
Dallas, 0-3. Ouch.

Still early days, but a lot of sucky teams are doing OK, while the three main contenders (Suns, Mavs, Heat) are starting slow. Of course, it's not how you start, but how you finish.

Cavs fall to 2-2 with losses to the BobCraps and the Hawks. Man, someone needs to get this team a fucking PG and a real head coach.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote