The Prestige

Amazing.

Anyone?

Front Office Midget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:27 AM   #2
mrsimperless
College Prospect

Haven't seen it.

However I'm officially setting the over/under on posts until a spoiler at 15.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:29 AM   #3
Danny
Head Coach

I go with the under, I say by post 7
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #4
cschex
High School Varsity

I'm going to see it, knowing that despite being a rather large departure from the book (which is incredible), I have enjoyed all of Nolan's films and I think the cast is frist-rate. I'll be seeing it this weekend.
cschex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Vinatieri for Prez
College Starter

How does this compare to the Illusionist? Aren't they the same movie somewhat? No spoilers please.
Vinatieri for Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

I never saw the Illusionist... I don't see many movies.

I read some reviews afterward, and some were negative and I can see where they were coming from. The movie relies heavily on "twists"... but that's why I love it. It's single-minded, pretty much only dealing with 2 magicians obsession to get better than the other... but that's why I love it.

Basically, it kept me thinking the whole way through, which is good. I was never bored at all. I read some reviews that said the movie offered no emotional hooks to get you involved... but I felt completely submersed in what was going on. But yeah... basically, it's full of twists and secrets and trying to get you to figure out what happened or why it happened. It's one of those. I loved it.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
Coop
High School JV

I really want to see this but nobody i know watns to go :-\ I'll probably have to go by myself. ugh
Old 10-20-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
samifan24
Pro Starter

I really enjoyed this film. I'd give it four stars. All of that said, my thoughts on this film and The Illusionist.

I enjoyed The Illusionist but enjoyed The Prestige more. I thought the leads put in strong performances in both films. They are different films, though. The Illusionist is more about romance while The Prestige is more about a rivalry.

If you liked Christopher Nolan's other films, you'll like The Prestige. If you enjoy films which make you think and watch closely, you'll probably like The Prestige. It's a film of twists, some you'll see coming and some you definately won't but all in all I found The Prestige to be an enjoyable and engrossing period piece which rewards its audience's patience.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:39 AM   #9
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

We saw this one over the weekend and really enjoyed it.

Unlike other "twist" movies, I didn't feel like this one was all about the twist. It could have ended ten minutes early and still been a great movie. It also didn't feel as manipulative as some twist movies do -- maybe that's because of the whole "magic trick" theme, and the way the movie basically tells you what it's going to do in the first few minutes.

No spoilers here so I'll avoid details, but the movie plays a very subtle trick on the audience. There's an element of the movie that seems poorly done and detracts a little from the believability. Only after the movie's ended do you realize that the "bad" film-making was actually an intentional misdirection to keep you from figuring out the bigger trick. Really well done.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:41 AM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Hopefully jb has seen this and can offer some input on the topic.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:44 AM   #11
SunDevil
College Prospect

I saw it last week and enjoyed it. That is the second good movie with Bale, I have high hopes for the new batman movie.
That's a double whammy and I hate you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #12
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Saw it this weekend. Great movie, I thought my mind was going to explode with all the twists though.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:55 PM   #13
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I saw it last week and enjoyed it. That is the second good movie with Bale, I have high hopes for the new batman movie.

"The Machinest" with Christian Bale is a really good, kind of under the radar, movie. If you are a Bale fan, you should check it out.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:01 PM   #14
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Saw it on opening weekend and thought it was okay but nothing really special. Some good twists and solid acting but just felt afterwards it was okay.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:02 PM   #15
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I just came back from seeing it and thought it was really good, great movie overall.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:22 PM   #16
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I was going to see it on Friday, but just as the previews were ending, my phone vibrated in my pocket and sadly, it was work. I ended up having to go back into work and missed the movie. It's still on my "to see" list.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #17
kingfc22
Head Coach

Saw it on Sunday night and loved it. I'm still thinking back to remember what happened early on in the movie and trying to tie it in with the ending.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:33 PM   #18
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf View Post
Hopefully jb has seen this and can offer some input on the topic.

LOL. *slow reaction*
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:11 PM   #19
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Apparently those who have seen it a second time say there's a ton of stuff in there that will have you slapping your head, including one really obvious clue that the wife and I both missed but which someone else here PMed me about.

I guess when a movie tells you to "watch closely", you should.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:09 AM   #20
Ironhead
College Prospect

Whoa...I was not ready for the Bowie.
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:31 AM   #21
gkb
High School Varsity

I just saw this and thought it was very good. Spoiler Alert: Scarlett Johansson is a hottie!
Old 11-04-2006, 04:09 PM   #22
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkb View Post
I just saw this and thought it was very good. Spoiler Alert: Scarlett Johansson is a hottie!

While Scarlett is hot, I found Rebecca Hall's performance as Sarah to be terrific to the point that it overshadowed Ms. Johansson.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:53 PM   #23
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Apparently those who have seen it a second time say there's a ton of stuff in there that will have you slapping your head, including one really obvious clue that the wife and I both missed but which someone else here PMed me about.

I guess when a movie tells you to "watch closely", you should.

I don't know if I'll get a chance to see it again in the theater. Can you PM me the clue?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:12 AM   #24
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Saw this, unfortunatly I pretty much figured out the twist as the movie progressed.

I give it a 3.5/5
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 12:38 AM   #25
Front Office Midget
High School Varsity

I saw it again. Caught a bunch of stuff I had missed. Could you PM that major hint? Just to see if I missed something else.

I missed something major the first time through.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:01 AM   #26
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Front Office Midget View Post
I saw it again. Caught a bunch of stuff I had missed. Could you PM that major hint? Just to see if I missed something else.

I missed something major the first time through.

PM sent.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:58 AM   #27
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Watched the movie last night. There were several things that took me until this morning to figure out...and some things that I didn't realize until I read The Movie Spoiler's spoiler. Can we talk about spoilers yet?
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:32 PM   #28
Fouts
College Starter

Finally saw it and enjoyed it. Good stuff.
Fouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:41 PM   #29
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Good movie. I didn't much care for Hugh Jackman or his trick, but Chris Nolan is easily my favorite director out there and could probably shine a turd to my liking. Christian Bale was great.

I figured the twist out half through as well, though I was hoping I was wrong about Jackman's. They really didn't try to hide it, I agree with Maple Leafs in that it was not meant to define the movie. I would have been fine if they didn't explain them away at the end and left it more open to interpretation.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:47 PM   #30
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Good movie. I didn't much care for Hugh Jackman or his trick, but Chris Nolan is easily my favorite director out there and could probably shine a turd to my liking. Christian Bale was great.

I figured the twist out half through as well, though I was hoping I was wrong about Jackman's. They really didn't try to hide it, I agree with Maple Leafs in that it was not meant to define the movie. I would have been fine if they didn't explain them away at the end and left it more open to interpretation.

After watching this movie (and being a big fan of Momento and Batman), I immediately informed my wife that we are going to the theater to see everything else Nolan does.

There wasn't anything in this movie that kept me in the dark until the eventual reveal, but the storytelling was very well done. There is a major difference between being predictable and setting a good foundation for future events.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:50 PM   #31
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I've heard some people speak badly about Insomnia, being slow I guess. But that flick just clicked with me, I loved it. Best job Pacino had done in a decade.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:29 AM   #32
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Chris Nolan is easily my favorite director out there. Christian Bale was great.

I agree. I'll watch anything Nolan does and I just watched Bale in "The Machinist" and was very impressed.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:10 AM   #33
Drake
assmaster

Watched this last night as well. I was still thinking about it this morning, which is always a good sign in a movie.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #34
Tigercat
College Starter

Sort of spoilers, thinly veiled to not reveal to an accidental reader:

Although I saw both secrets to both tricks in this movie coming a mile away, what proves this movie is good is that even if you realize the secrets well in advance, the suspense keeps you interested. The use of the journals was a key to that I think. (And trying to figure out what character knows/suspects what.)

I also really enjoyed the ethics behind "the device." As "the device" has been used in numerous scifi plots, I have often wondered about the ethics involved especially if it breaks down an original to make a new. So I really enjoyed the line towards the end about fearing using it.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:57 AM   #35
grisha
n00b

Did anyone else think that the machine doesn't really "work", but is yet another illusion? (Strictly for that Batman guy)

If it is an elaborate illusion, doesn't Hugh Jackman ultimately win?
Old 03-01-2007, 09:01 AM   #36
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grisha View Post
Did anyone else think that the machine doesn't really "work", but is yet another illusion? (Strictly for that Batman guy)

If it is an elaborate illusion, doesn't Hugh Jackman ultimately win?
There are quite a few theories that the "surprise ending" isn't the real ending at all, and there's another layer of deception. Some people say they've seen hints at this in the final scene (including an air bubble that would seem to change what we think we've just seen).

Personally, I don't buy it. I think we know everything that happened when we walk out of the theatre.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #37
grisha
n00b

I just think that the machine is so far outside of what the movie was up until then, that we can't really take it at face value.

Plus, aren't we relying on the diary for most of the machine information (scenes)? I would think that we can't take that at face value either.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:17 AM   #38
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I think the movie tells you pretty directly that the machine is real and it works. Remember the scene with the cats and hats, which was also the first scene of the movie, although we didn't know what it meant then. Unless it's all an elaborate misdirection (not out of the question for this movie), I think we're supposed to accept it as legit.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:27 AM   #39
grisha
n00b

Wasn't the scene with the cat and hats being read by Batman in Wolverine's diary? (the same diary that Wolverine purposely gave to Batman to read)

I don't think it's too far of a stretch to think that he might have embellished the story of the machine a bit.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:42 AM   #40
Swaggs
Coordinator

I just saw this movie and really enjoyed it quite a bit.

My only question: ***SPOILER ALERT***

Are we sure that the "clones" are not the ones being teleported and the "real" Danton is not the one going through the trap door. In line with the hats and the cat(s), I had assumed that the original stayed where it was, while the clone was teleported out into the woods. And, if not, then wasn't it the Danton that was standing inside the teleportation machine, when he first tested it by himself, the one that grabbed the gun and shot the teleported Danton (meaning that the first clone killed the original Danton)?

As I said, I enjoyed the movie, but I couldn't quite wrap my head around this part.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:02 AM   #41
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
My only question:
I think the idea is that there is no clone, they're both "him". This is explained in a few spots. There's the scene where he asks which hat is his, and Bowie says they all are. There's also the later scene where he tells Bale than the trick took courage because he never knew whether he'd be the one in the stands or in the tank.

However, I think (could be wrong) that it was the teleported Danton who shot the original.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:19 AM   #42
Swaggs
Coordinator

That keeps me thinking about it even more. It makes me wonder about the origins of the machine and about Bale and his "twin," as didn't they indicate that Bowie/Tesla had created a machine like this before? Probably thinking too far into it, but I guess that is good for a movie. I don't recall seeing any childhood pictures of Bale and his twin during the flashback (which would have ended the speculation on whether his twin was a birth twin or a clone).
Old 03-01-2007, 10:27 AM   #43
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

My interpretation was the same as Maple's. Really I didn't like that whole aspect of the movie though. Everything else was solid gold.

Last edited by jeff061 : 03-01-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 AM   #44
grisha
n00b

**********MAJOR SPOILER ALERT**********
(Highlight to see text)

Here's how I think it went down:

1. Batman gets his diary "stolen" and purposely leaks information to Wolverine about the Tesla machine to trick him into trying to get one of his own built.

2. Tesla tricks Wolverine into spending his money on a worthless machine.

3. (Here's where I fill in some blanks with what I've gathered so far from these characters) Wolverine realizes he's been tricked, and convinces/pays Tesla to build him a machine that is simply for show.

4. Wolverine takes Batman's trick and runs with it in his diary, pretending that the machine actually works. (Sort of an f-you to Batman, knowing that Batman is going to read this diary)

5. Wolverine runs a rediculous amount of shows with his fake machine, still using that body-double, with the purpose of convincing batman that the machine is real. (Giving Batman enough time to catch all the little clues purposely left by Wolverine)

6. The show where Batman shows up, Wolverine sets up the body-double to fall into the box. (The look of shock on the guy in the box sort of seems like proof he didn't know it was coming)

7. After Wolverine is shot by Batman2, he sticks with his story that the machine worked. He talks about it all being worth it because of the look on the audience's faces, the same look that Batman2 has. With Batman convinced that the machine is real, Wolverine ultimately wins the "contest" between them. Wolverine had the best trick.

************** END SPOILER*************************
Old 03-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #45
Swaggs
Coordinator

Grisha,

Good theory, but you are forgetting about all the tanks that had been handled by the blind workers. They were all stored in the warehouse that burned down at the end.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #46
grisha
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Grisha,

Good theory, but you are forgetting about all the tanks that had been handled by the blind workers. They were all stored in the warehouse that burned down at the end.

Those are the fake clues left to convince Batman it's real.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #47
grisha
n00b

Remember, one of the main themes of the movie was Wolverine learning about the power of total commitment to a trick. Once he completely committed his life to tricking Batman, he ultimately won.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #48
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I remember visiting a few forums after seeing the movie to see what people were saying. There were many, many people who had theories similar to what grisha is arguing here.

I'm still not sold. I think the movie lays out a puzzle, then gives us the answer at the end. I think the answer is reasonably clever, satisfying, and makes sense. I don't really see the need to look further for something else hidden in the background. In fact, I'd disregard that idea completely if it wasn't for the movie's "look closer" theme which could lend itself to some sort of additional trick.

One point to make, though:
Quote:
The look of shock on the guy ... seems like proof he didn't know it was coming
If you believe the storyline that the movie seems to be telling us, the guy absolutely would have been shocked.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #49
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I haven't seen the movie and probably won't end up doing so, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread as everyone refers to the characters as "Batman" and "Wolverine"...
Old 03-01-2007, 11:46 AM   #50
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
I haven't seen the movie and probably won't end up doing so, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this thread as everyone refers to the characters as "Batman" and "Wolverine"...

Yeah, its really warping my idea of what the movie is probably about. Very cool.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote