Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-12-2003, 01:01 AM   #1
Mike47
n00b

Group Think II: Now Filling Positions!

Group Think II is currently being formed.

We will be starting in the year 2002, as the Houston Texans, just before the expansion draft. We will be building a team together that fits the style of play we wish to dictate. On offense, we plan on being a run oriented team with emphasis on ball control. On the defensive side we will be an aggressive team, blitzing frequently. If you think you would like to be a part of our team, in any way shape or form, drop us a post at the end of this thread. You can take a vacant position or, if it applys, create your own.

Download the team file here.

General Manager: Mike47

Offensive Coordinator: SaintAnselm
QB Coach: Ragone
RB Coach: Neel
REC Coach
OL Coach: Straight8

Defensive Coordinator: Tasan
DL Coach
LB Coach
DB Coach

Special Teams Coach

Scouting Director: Swaggs
AFC Scout: Straight8
NFC Scout: dread
Amateur Scout: Straight8
Amateur Scout: dread

Please keep all Group Think II discussion in this thread to avoid clogging up the forum. If we need to start additional threads we will do so only when it is deemed necessary.

Last edited by Mike47 : 02-16-2003 at 09:56 PM.
Mike47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:49 AM   #2
Tasan
College Starter

I'd be interested as I missed out on the first one. I'd take Def Coord if possible.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:25 AM   #3
Mike47
n00b

Ok, here is what I was thinking:

I will assume the role of General Manager. I will then in turn "hire" an offensive coordinator and defensive cooridnator (Tasan). From there, if the coordinators would like, they may hire QBs, LBs coaches and so on. Realistically, if we would want to, we could run this with just three people. It's entirely up to you guys. Hopefully we'll get some interest. I think it would be fun to colaborate and build an expansion team from the ground up.
Old 02-12-2003, 09:57 AM   #4
SaintAnselm
n00b

I'm in. I'd be interested in the Off Cord spot if it's available.
SaintAnselm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:50 AM   #5
Mike47
n00b

Allright, you got it Saint. Again, if anyone else wants to join in let us know and we'll see where we could fit you. I'm all for having positional coaches and scouts. Tasan and Saint, how do you guys feel about having coaches "under" you?

Allright, now we need to decide our approach. I am leaning towards an expansion team starting in 2002 with the Texans using the roster with the name changes. I'd also be willing to take over an existing franchise but figured it would be more fun doing an expansion team.

Coordinators, the only other thing we could be doing right now is establishing what kind of a mold we want our team to establish. Smashmouth running team? Finesse passing? 3-4 defense? 4-3 defense? Etc etc.

Let me know if you guys come up with anything...anything at all.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:01 AM   #6
SaintAnselm
n00b

I think starting with the Texans would be a good way to go. I have no problem at all with having other coaches on offense. The more people we have involved the better this will be.
On offense I would like to implement an offense that is geared towards the run. I like to have a RB who can obviously run but who can also catch the football. When we pass, I would like to use the TE position a fair amount. So we'd pretty much be running a ball control offense.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:10 AM   #7
Mike47
n00b

Sounds great to me Saint. I personally love RBs like Duece McCallister, Priest Holmes and Charlie Garner; guys who can run and catch. I also like the idea of having an offense built around ball control.

I guess for now, lets wait a while and see if we can conjure up some more interest and fill the remaining positions. After that I'll post the zip file.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:42 PM   #8
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'd be interested in being the scouting director, depending on how much time it will take.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 12:52 PM   #9
Tasan
College Starter

On defense, it'll really be determined by our personel as to whether I go with a 4-3 or 3-4. More than likely we'll start out 4-3, unless we stumble on some real good LBs. I'd like to blitz a lot, so moving to a 3-4 eventually will be what I want. As for assistant coachs, the more the merrier.

Also, by 'roster with name changes', does that mean real names, or fake ones?

I also have a server I can put files on for us, if needed.

Last edited by Tasan : 02-12-2003 at 12:52 PM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:06 PM   #10
Mike47
n00b

Real NFL players. Whatever defense you're comfortable with is fine by me.

Swaggs, I honestly do no know how much time it will take. That would probably depend on how much time you would want to/can put into it. I'll put you down as Scouting Director. If you need help with scouting we can get more people and designate specific geographical regions, or player positions or something.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:41 PM   #11
Neel
n00b

I would be interested in helping out on offense, mostly because SaintAnselm mentioned gearing it toward a run based offense, with RB's who can catch. Stong OL, and a good FB and TE's.
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:50 PM   #12
Mike47
n00b

Neel, what group would you like to work with?
Old 02-12-2003, 01:50 PM   #13
Swaggs
Coordinator

As scouting director, I would want/need the following:
--AFC Scout (for familiarizing the coordinators w/ opponents and for free agency advising)
--NFC Scout (for familiarizing the coordinators w/ opponents and for free agency advising)
--College Scout (for advising on college talent, the draft, and first year free agents)

--If there is enough interest, we may want to add a division scout that is very familiar with the other three division teams and a second college scout.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:38 PM   #14
Mike47
n00b

Here's a stupid question: Should I have the ability to fire GM on or off when I start our game?
Old 02-12-2003, 02:44 PM   #15
Tasan
College Starter

I would say on, but if we want to proceed unhindered, we might want to turn it off.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:49 PM   #16
Mike47
n00b

I am keeping it on. If we get canned we can move elsewhere.
Old 02-12-2003, 02:54 PM   #17
Mike47
n00b

I have never looked at the player file editor thing before until just now and it got me thinking. It appears we can mess with the draft order. If that's the case, should we give Oakland Tampa Bay's 1st/2nd round picks and so on? Try and mimic the draft exactly how it was before the expansion draft?
Although now that I think about it, wasn't Gruden still in Oakland during the expansion draft? What about the Ricky Williams deal. Allright, I'm way out of line lol. Just throwing some ideas out there until I get this file posted in a bit. It's something to think about I guess :-)
Old 02-12-2003, 03:00 PM   #18
Mike47
n00b

Anyone know, do I just zip my universe folder and upload that? Is it that simple?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:04 PM   #19
Neel
n00b

If you leave "fire GM" on, it would raise the stakes a little, and make it more fun to try and not all get canned.
I would like to work with the RB's. What exactly would a position coach need to do?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:06 PM   #20
Neel
n00b

I do think you just send the contents of the folder, and not the folder itself...I think that if we overwrite the folder, we will need to reinstall the game. If we copy in the contents, we should have it all.
This is how Jim puts it...

How do I transfer a saved game from one computer to another?

You need to take all the files from the "universe" directory of one installation, and place them in the "universe" directory of the second installation.

This will overwrite all the saved games from the second installation, so you should back these up first.

Do not replace the universe directory itself. This will force you to reinstall the game.

If you're saving box scores and game logs, you do not need to transfer these files (*.flg and *.fbx).
Old 02-12-2003, 03:14 PM   #21
Mike47
n00b

Ok, so I've zipped everything inside of my universe folder and I'm now uploading it. From there I guess you guys will just extract everything into your own universe folders? That sound about right? My actual universe folder has not be included in the zip file. I hope I did this right!
Old 02-12-2003, 03:27 PM   #22
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike47
Ok, so I've zipped everything inside of my universe folder and I'm now uploading it. From there I guess you guys will just extract everything into your own universe folders? That sound about right? My actual universe folder has not be included in the zip file. I hope I did this right!

Thats right. You wouldn't want to include the universe folder itself. Just the files inside. If you overwrite the folder itself it will cause problems. As you guys get into the career you can make the file transfers easier by just uploading the save game files and not all the yearly results each time.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 03:33 PM   #23
Mike47
n00b

Neel, a positional coach will work with their specific coordinator. In your case you may work with other positional coaches like the OL coach. You will give insight on your position of experise to help set depth charts and distribute playing time. You will keep a close eye on your players throughout the season and off-season giving input on what you think can or, in some cases, cannot be done to improve the position. Think of yourself as a specialized offensive coordinator focusing specifically on one group of players.

I Hope this helps. I'm sure these positions will become much more specific and concrete once we get rolling.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:36 PM   #24
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

I'd like to join

I'd like to be coach or scout. I can handle either job.

Thanks
strait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 03:37 PM   #25
Neel
n00b

Thanks Mike, I see what you mean.

Where can we download the files from?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:41 PM   #26
Mike47
n00b

Thanks a lot Primelord.

Ok guys the file is now available here.

I think you will all be pleasantly surprised with our staff thusfar. Our scout looks fantastic and our coach, although not the greatest play-caller, will be vital in developing our expansion team which is bound to be filled with young and inexperienced players.

Phew, I guess now our focus should be directed towards the expansion draft.

Last edited by Mike47 : 02-12-2003 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:43 PM   #27
Mike47
n00b

Strait8, we've got plenty of room. Take your pick.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:56 PM   #28
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

My choices

I would like to be an advance scout for the AFC. As the amatuer scout is not a full time role (offseason only ) I'd take that if no one else wants it.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:41 PM   #29
Neel
n00b

I downloaded the file and will look it over tonight. Good to hear our coach is a good play caller.
Did you have X Factor toned down, or turned on for max effect?
Just wondering what to expect.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:44 PM   #30
Swaggs
Coordinator

Will we be allocating money/cap space to each set of positions or just playing it by our needs?

Like would we want to use 20% on QBs, 10% on RBs, 15% on WR/TEs, etc.?
Old 02-12-2003, 10:16 PM   #31
Mike47
n00b

I didn't mean to give the impression that our coach was a good player caller. Well, actually that's all his is; good. He is, however very good with developing talent, particularily when it comes to the offense. Our scout is basically the same, and can recognize offensive talent with the best of 'em.

Did anyone else notice that there are a few decent players available in the expansion draft? WR Amani Toomer looks like he may be a solid pick up.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:19 PM   #32
Mike47
n00b

Oh, by the way, x-factor was turned on and as far as allocating percentages to particular positions, I hadn't planned on it. I don't see why we would put limits on something like that. If it helps, I try and avoid paying players over $5M in any year of a contract. There are always exceptions of course and this is obviously not set in stone.
Old 02-12-2003, 11:59 PM   #33
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike47
Did anyone else notice that there are a few decent players available in the expansion draft? WR Amani Toomer looks like he may be a solid pick up.

I didn't see Toomer in the Exp draft list...Are we looking at the same list?

And I see absolutely no talent either. I think we are seeing different lists somehow...

Last edited by Tasan : 02-13-2003 at 12:02 AM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 12:23 AM   #34
Mike47
n00b

You know that's strange. I had sworn that the VERY first time I looked at the expansion draft that I did not notice Toomer. Now, every time I do it again he is there. Perhaps I should re-upload the file?
Old 02-13-2003, 12:27 AM   #35
Tasan
College Starter

Yeah why don't ya re-upload, maybe it was just a glitch
Old 02-13-2003, 12:43 AM   #36
Mike47
n00b

Ok, the file has now be reuploaded. It should be accurate as of 1:44am Thursday February 13th. You can download it at the very top of this thread. Someone let me know if they see the likes of Amani Toomer Flozell Adams, Ty Detmer...that's all I can remember seeing off-hand in the expansion draft.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:56 AM   #37
Mike47
n00b

Ok, well I lied. There isn't much talent, as usual, in the expansion draft. Even Toomer might be a stretch. He comes with a hefty price tag for what he's actually worth.

Should we wait until we fill some more positions before we get started? Or should we just start trecking ahead?

Let me know what everyone thinks. I'm off to bed.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:29 AM   #38
Neel
n00b

The expansion draft can be a dollar sucker, with little long term effects (on the good side anyway).
I vote for caution in the FA draft. We should pick up good talent with room for development in the rookie draft.

I vote for looking at OL right away, as well as a franchise QB.

Does there appear to be anyone else interested in getting involved before we start?
Old 02-13-2003, 09:45 AM   #39
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

If we have to double up

If there are not enough participants, I'd be happy to coach the offensive or defensive line or linebackers. When I coached, I coached those positions.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:14 AM   #40
Mike47
n00b

Hey guys, read the Primelord PING. I guess we're going to have to sort of wing the expansion draft. I wont be taking any overpaid players or players that have no potential use for our team. I've done these expansion drafts before on my own and to be honest, just like in real life, the majority of the players are gone within two years anyway. Once I'm done with class I should have a few hours to work on it before I go to work.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:16 AM   #41
Mike47
n00b

Straight8, if you want to take on a second or third or 20th job you can. I have no problem with that. Just let me know the details. Don't overwhelm yourself!
Old 02-13-2003, 10:22 AM   #42
Mike47
n00b

BTW, has anyone else tried looking at the expansion list? Everytime I open it I get the same players. It appears that everytime Tasan opens it he also gets the same players but slightly different from mine. Perhaps one of us are doing something wrong.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:11 AM   #43
Neel
n00b

Yes, what Primelord mentions about the AI not selecting the same players I have seen too. I tested this just to see what would happen when I first got the game, and the AI will not always make the same moves in an expansion draft, or at the end of a season when it chooses to not resign a player and let him go FA.

I will not have a chance to view the new download of the file until later, but I will check it out and see what is there.
As for the expansion draft, I assume that you will just have to view and sign what you see fit, and hopefully we can get a good player or two without spending too much.
Good luck!

Last edited by Neel : 02-13-2003 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:15 AM   #44
Tasan
College Starter

Some of the guys in the draft will be over paid, but remember, if they only have 1 year contracts, like OT Adams, we'll have a lot of money this first year, and a pickup like that might be worth it to at least have a decent line.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:17 AM   #45
Neel
n00b

Good point Tasan....if we spend money anywhere in the expansion draft, we should go for proven OL first.
Then draft a franchise QB off the top of the rookie draft.
Old 02-13-2003, 11:57 AM   #46
SaintAnselm
n00b

I agree with you guys about focusing on our OL. For this offense to work though, we are more in need of a franchise quality RB than a QB. If we were to have to choose between the two, I would rather have the running back. We can get by without a star level QB. We really only need a guy who can throw the easy passes and who does not turn the ball over. Our offense will not be one that will be able to come from behind easily so we simply cannot throw interceptions.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:10 PM   #47
Tasan
College Starter

Will a stud RB really just get killed his first few years? And a QB too? I think we should work from the trenches out, OL and DL early and often. A stud pass rusher will do more for our team early on than a RB who has to depend on others performing well before he can let his talent shine.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:20 PM   #48
Blade
College Prospect

I am interested in participating, but I must confess, I did not follow the old Group Think threads. How does this work? Do you need FOF4 to do this?

Loyal fan of the Edmonton Oilers and Philadelphia Eagles.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 12:45 PM   #49
strait8
H.S. Freshman Team

More Jobs

I will take on OL as well as the two scouting positions. AFC and amateur.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:49 PM   #50
Swaggs
Coordinator

I agree with Tasan. We need to add the beef before adding the skill players. We might consider some cheap cornerbacks, too.