Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2006, 01:08 AM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

High School Football In The Arctic

Yes it is from ESPN, but still pretty interesting..

Barrow, Alaska High School Football Folks..

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...ry?page=tundra

Last edited by MylesKnight : 09-20-2007 at 01:10 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
vex
Grizzled Veteran

Great read.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Cool read. Living up there is just freaky- no sun for part of the year, no dark for others. No grass or trees- it'd just be weird to visit, much less live in.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #4
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Don't know if this has been mentioned previously, but Barrow HS now has a brand new artificial turf football field.

http://www.adn.com/sports/prep/footb...-9150230c.html

And you talk about a view.. That is the Arctic Ocean right off the far sideline.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 09-20-2007 at 12:53 PM.
MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

What if the ball is overthrown???
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #6
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Oh, wow, that looks awesome. I read the article about the team last year, and I thought it was great. I'm happy for those kids up there.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...age=tundrafolo

ESPN updated their own story in August.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
What if the ball is overthrown???

It lands on the ice, duh.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
It lands on the ice, duh.

Oh, is that ice all the time?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I remembered the whole story about the lady in Florida who had them come down there, they met the Jaguars and all of that. And wow, with all of the work it took to get that field there, they managed to do it. Wow, that's pretty awesome.

The Superitendent there was the former State Superitendent here in Wyoming and he left to take that job up there, because apparently it pays more. A lot of folks are saying the money invested in football is a waste, but, I figure the alternative would be none of this interest and no money spent on other stuff.

So I think it's one of many things they can do to make an impact on the lives of these kids, because it's got to be hard living in a place like that and being a kid.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I remembered the whole story about the lady in Florida who had them come down there, they met the Jaguars and all of that. And wow, with all of the work it took to get that field there, they managed to do it. Wow, that's pretty awesome.

The Superitendent there was the former State Superitendent here in Wyoming and he left to take that job up there, because apparently it pays more. A lot of folks are saying the money invested in football is a waste, but, I figure the alternative would be none of this interest and no money spent on other stuff.

So I think it's one of many things they can do to make an impact on the lives of these kids, because it's got to be hard living in a place like that and being a kid.

I enjoyed reading the ESPN stories last year. It's great to see that the kids have a better field to play in--fieldturf must be light years ahead of gravel...

The football program is not without controversy though. The air travel is a monumental expense. The program was originally contingent on a budget surplus. If that surplus evaporates, the program will probably have to be even more aggressive in seeking private funding. There is a lot of good will now, but will the interest still be there in five years?

I've read elsewhere that Barrow had to cut quite a few faculty this year, adding to the tension. I can't corroborate this with other sources, so it could be propoganda. Still, it does speak to the controversy that will ensue if the program does end up taking up too much of the pie...
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:02 PM   #12
Klinglerware
College Starter

Dola:

In an unrelated note, I was tooling around the Anchorage Daily News website, and a story caught my eye about a stripper on trial for conspiracy to murder. I was amused to read that she worked at an establishment called the "Great Alaskan Bush Company". I wouldn't say that the name was a stroke of genius, but I chuckled softly to myself.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:11 PM   #13
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Thats not a bad club, either.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 04:32 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
I enjoyed reading the ESPN stories last year. It's great to see that the kids have a better field to play in--fieldturf must be light years ahead of gravel...

The football program is not without controversy though. The air travel is a monumental expense. The program was originally contingent on a budget surplus. If that surplus evaporates, the program will probably have to be even more aggressive in seeking private funding. There is a lot of good will now, but will the interest still be there in five years?

I've read elsewhere that Barrow had to cut quite a few faculty this year, adding to the tension. I can't corroborate this with other sources, so it could be propoganda. Still, it does speak to the controversy that will ensue if the program does end up taking up too much of the pie...

Agreed. And I hate when colleges spend more money on sports, so there is a part of me that thinks this is an enormous boondoggle and that they could've easily have spent money on getting better faculty, a computer for every student to take home and a ton of other stuff.

But if this tangible good is something that gets more attention on the district and as a result, gets more money poured to that place, then all the better.

But the information you've listed, disconcerts me a bit..and part of the reason I was skeptical -- despite the 'feel good' part of the story -- was because I understand the mindset of the Wyoming superintendent going up there and thinking this would be "just the trick" to create school pride and stuff like that.

And if it goes south, he can always leave and let someone have to deal with it. So..I dunno.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #15
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I was reading something else and ran into this story.

Barrow, just three years into their program made the playoffs this year, hosted a state quarterfinal game at the field.

They lost in the state semifinals
(that game is played in Anchorage)

Good for them.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 01-10-2009 at 08:38 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
Dola:

In an unrelated note, I was tooling around the Anchorage Daily News website, and a story caught my eye about a stripper on trial for conspiracy to murder. I was amused to read that she worked at an establishment called the "Great Alaskan Bush Company". I wouldn't say that the name was a stroke of genius, but I chuckled softly to myself.

That has been a long time, even before I visited in 1987.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 07:20 AM   #17
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

It's like that Mystery movie with Russel Crowe
Old 01-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #18
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

my dad was up there in HS (his dad was in oil). Said it was unique.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #19
tarcone
Coordinator

Athletic programs have shown to improve students performance. If you can get 1 of the native tribe kids to graduate (remember, the story said they had a 50% dropout rate and 100% from the tribe) then it is worth it.
Computers and better faculty will not make a kid stay in school. Then tell me how much money was wasted. Kids will stay in school to play football. As will other athletic programs.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote