Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

NCAA: Adrian Peterson breaks Collarbone

Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma's star running back, broke his collarbone Saturday and is out until at least the Sooners' bowl game, coach Bob Stoops announced.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2625553
Old 10-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

just as well. might as well get used to not having him now.

this post brought to you by a terribly distraught imettrentgreen
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:37 PM   #4
Cuckoo
College Starter

And the hits keep on comin'.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:43 PM   #5
Cuckoo
College Starter

DOLA

I'm not so much distraught about the season; OU isn't in the national title picture, and I think they'll still be able to put up some points (not to say, of course, that you can ever replace AD).

But the thing that really hurts here is that he deserved to go down as the career rushing leader for OU, and now he's cut short when he was so close. I just can't see him coming back next year. One of the best in college football history, and he won't even have a Heisman to show for it.

Really too bad.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 10-14-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 03:47 PM   #6
Blade6119
Coordinator

This was the first time his father had seen him play football as well, sad story
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:06 PM   #7
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

All I can do is shake my head and be bummed out. It's sad when such a great player (or any player) has his season end prematurely
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Celeval
Pro Starter

Definately. That was a great run that he was injured on as well - hate to see a player go out at all, but especially at the tail end of a play like that.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Up 27-9 with 7 minutes left? I dunno if he should have still been in the game. Anytime a big tOSU player is still in with a big lead in the 4th quarter, I'm hoping they take him out ASAP (Ginn was in late in the 4th in a blowout game last week vs Bowling Green). I know 27-9 isn't totally over, but it's pretty close. Bummer for OU though
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
DOLA

I'm not so much distraught about the season; OU isn't in the national title picture, and I think they'll still be able to put up some points (not to say, of course, that you can ever replace AD).

But the thing that really hurts here is that he deserved to go down as the career rushing leader for OU, and now he's cut short when he was so close. I just can't see him coming back next year. One of the best in college football history, and he won't even have a Heisman to show for it.

Really too bad.

That would surprise me, if he didn't come back.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:39 PM   #11
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post

Really?

I know that he wants the record at OU, and I'm sure he'd love to have a Heisman trophy. But OU will be breaking in yet another new QB next year. Defenses would stack against him even more than they have this year. Some claim he's already earned an injury-proned tag after a couple of injuries in 3 years. What if has another one? He'd definitely get that tag, and as most believe, his running style doesn't exactly avoid injury possibilities.

We'll wait and see what the draft projections begin to say, but my guess is he's pegged as a certain 1st rounder, likely a top 15 pick even after the broken collarbone.

I think, in the end, there will just be too much risk in coming back. If OU's situation was different next year (i.e. all the ingredients for a title run), I could see his competitiveness making him come back. But as it is... nah.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 10-14-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:41 PM   #12
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

I'd be shocked if he did. He's a top 10 pick next year, even with this injury. I don't think he has any reason to return to OU other than the Heisman and the rushing leader thing. I don't think that's enough to overlook all the $$$$ that will be staring him in the face.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

It's probably in his best interest to turn pro. He's been bitten by the injury bug each of the past three seasons. Towards the end of his freshman year he was starting to get nicked up. He missed big chunks of last season with ankle problems, and now the broken collarbone takes him out for the rest of this season. His draft stock has a lot father to fall than it does to rise by coming back next season and risking injury again in the collegiate ranks.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:43 PM   #14
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingnebwsu View Post
Up 27-9 with 7 minutes left? I dunno if he should have still been in the game. Anytime a big tOSU player is still in with a big lead in the 4th quarter, I'm hoping they take him out ASAP (Ginn was in late in the 4th in a blowout game last week vs Bowling Green). I know 27-9 isn't totally over, but it's pretty close. Bummer for OU though

This is certainly something we'll hear in the next week, I bet. Stoops will undoubtedly be asked about it. 18 points doesn't make the game over, but if you were watching, you'd say that Iowa State's offense pretty much showed no ability to make a game of it. AD had 130 yards and a score at the time, not exactly mind-blowing but certainly solid. I probably would've pulled him.

But then again, hindsight is certainly 20/20. When you want to drain the clock and pound the run, nobody better to do it than Adrian. Add that to the back-up, Allen Patrick's, fumble issues a couple of games ago, and it's not an easy decision really.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 10-14-2006 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #15
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I wonder what this does for the Heisman? Seems like after Wolfes poor performance today he may get a slight (he couldn't afford a day with less then 100 yards vs a MAC team), and now Peterson won't be in New York.

Troy Smith, Calvin Johnson, Mike Hart, Steve Slaton, Chris Leak seem like the new top 5. Still early, obviously. But this day has big implications on the Heisman already.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #16
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'd be shocked if he did. He's a top 10 pick next year, even with this injury. I don't think he has any reason to return to OU other than the Heisman and the rushing leader thing. I don't think that's enough to overlook all the $$$$ that will be staring him in the face.

I'd be shocked if he was a top 10 pick, but what the hell do I know. I spent 4 hours this morning reading Plotinus in Greek.

knives out
Old 10-14-2006, 04:51 PM   #17
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
I'd be shocked if he was a top 10 pick, but what the hell do I know.

This is a collarbone, not exactly a career-breaker. If McGahee can get drafted #20 or something not even being able to walk at the time, I have to think Peterson's odds for being in the top 10 are good. Teams like the Packers, Lions, Browns or Texans would all have big interest and all figure to be drafting high.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:02 PM   #18
ChiMatt
n00b

Stoops has done everything in his power to get this kid hurt and cost him his career. He's lucky that this is this is the injury he got. Not carrying the ball 30 times a game will only boost his draft value.

Stoops putting him on kick returns was just crazy.
ChiMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #19
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
This is a collarbone, not exactly a career-breaker. If McGahee can get drafted #20 or something not even being able to walk at the time, I have to think Peterson's odds for being in the top 10 are good. Teams like the Packers, Lions, Browns or Texans would all have big interest and all figure to be drafting high.

Actually, I believe McGahee was a 2nd round pick, and even so, the Bills were widely ridiculed for picking him. That he's turned out as well as he has may make some teams more optimistic about Peterson.

knives out
Old 10-14-2006, 05:08 PM   #20
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Actually, I believe McGahee was a 2nd round pick, and even so, the Bills were widely ridiculed for picking him. That he's turned out as well as he has may make some teams more optimistic about Peterson.

He was picked 1(23), and Peterson is better than Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams, and Cedric Benson, all of whom were Top 5 picks the year before last. Peterson going Top 10 wouldn't be super crazy, but who knows what will happen between now and the draft. The momentum of these things can create some pretty big perception swings.
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:09 PM   #21
Blade6119
Coordinator

Quote:

He was a first round pick, around 26th i believe. I know he was first round for sure though. My bet would peterson wont make it past #6, mark it down.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:14 PM   #22
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

with any luck this injury will drop him far enough down in the draft for the Vikings or Cowboys to get him
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:15 PM   #23
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:

McGahee hasnt been great though
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:20 PM   #24
Cuckoo
College Starter

Edit: Nevermind. Don't want to threadjack.

Last edited by Cuckoo : 10-14-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:35 PM   #25
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:

You just have to watch the kid play. His combination of speed/power is something to behold. The injuries will scare some NFL teams, but he's just to talented. I doubt seriously that he drops out of the top 10.

As for the Heisman, I think Smith is going to take it and take it pretty easily. Only Michigan really stands in his way to an unbeaten season, and I'm not even sure if a loss to the Wolverines would now be enough to take the award from him.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 05:42 PM   #26
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
You just have to watch the kid play. His combination of speed/power is something to behold. The injuries will scare some NFL teams, but he's just to talented. I doubt seriously that he drops out of the top 10.

As for the Heisman, I think Smith is going to take it and take it pretty easily. Only Michigan really stands in his way to an unbeaten season, and I'm not even sure if a loss to the Wolverines would now be enough to take the award from him.

I have seen him play, and I do agree he's good. I just can't think of anybody drafted in the top 10 with his sort of injury problems.

knives out
Old 10-14-2006, 08:37 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade6119 View Post
This was the first time his father had seen him play football as well, sad story

How is it sad? His father did a crime and went to jail. It wasn't like he was stationed overseas in the army or anything.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 08:38 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He's a lock to go pro. He will still go in the first round and I would guess his family needs the money.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:41 PM   #29
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
How is it sad? His father did a crime and went to jail. It wasn't like he was stationed overseas in the army or anything.
I think it's sad in the sense that Adrian possibly had his college career ended in the first game that his father got to see in person. Apparently, the kid was looking forward to this day for years, and it's sad for Adrian that things happened this way.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:34 AM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I think it's sad in the sense that Adrian possibly had his college career ended in the first game that his father got to see in person. Apparently, the kid was looking forward to this day for years, and it's sad for Adrian that things happened this way.

I suppose I can see that.