Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
Pyser
Pro Rookie

It's Here! The 2006-2007 NHL Season Thread

now that all my devils are signed (gionta, hale, martin, rasmussen, clemmenson), we can start the regular season.

here's to hoping for an atlantic division repeat from the red and black!

Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:44 PM   #2
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Avs have claimed George Parros from the Kings. I've enjoyed watching him with the Monarchs over the years - nice to see him with the Avs.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:14 PM   #3
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Red Wings Season Preview

TSN has the Wings ranked #1. I don't know what they're seeing that I'm not, but there's no way the Wings should be ranked first. I don't even think they're the best team in their crappy division. I think Nasvhille has likely passed them by. The team I saw in the first round series against the Oilers was exactly the team I expected to see all season. Suspect goaltending, no speed or scoring from the wings, a lack of size and physical play up front and along the blueline which would leave them vulenrable in front of both nets. They haven't done anything in the off-season to improve the situation.

In fact, the overall feeling I get from Wings' fans is one of general pessimism. There is very little excitement for the Wings this year. I am sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that the Tigers are in the playoffs for the first time in 20 years, but there has been very little talk of the Wings excitement. The loss of Yzerman and Shanahan, long time fan favorites, will effect the team on and off the ice.

I have many reservations about this team. Zetterberg and Datsyuk are quality forwards. I think there's an argument to be made that, outside of guys still in their rookie contracts (e.g., Crosby, Ovechkin, Phanuef), Zetterberg is dollar-for-dollar one of the best bargains in the NHL. Lang has never done much for me. Ever. Babcock seems to love him and is constantly sticking up for him. I don't have much faith in either Williams or Samuelsson playing that much better than last year that they'll be able to adequate fill the goal scoring void left by Shanahan. Holmstrom is Holmstrom. He'll get in front of the net and do his job. Draper and Maltby will do their thing. It sounds like they are expecting Franzen to be more involved offensively. That'd be good to see. He's a big guy and can bang around a bit. He was one of the few guys (other than Yzerman and Zetterberg) who stepped it up in the playoffs.

As for the new guys, Hudler is very wee and Kopecky seems lanky. I'm excited to see these guys get a shot. It feels like they've been in the Wings' system forever and it's about time they get a chance to show if they have what it takes. There were so many rookies and young guys playing very well in the league last year, that hopefully at least one of these two guys will excede expectations. Apparently Babcock hates Hulder because of his lacksidasical style of play. That will be a constant little sub-drama.

They still lack speed up front and scoring from the wings. I thought that'd be a problem last year, but they seemed to manage ok.

Along the blueline, they added Dany Markov. He's an injury risk, but he has an abrasive style that the Wings desparately lack (more on this later). Problem is, however, that he's never stayed too long anywhere in his career. If he was really that good he would have stuck. Lidstrom, Kronwall, and Schneider round out the top four. That leaves Lilja (who I fucking hate), Lebda (who has been impressive in the pre-season), and The Methuselah. I must admit, I liked the way The Methuselah played in the playoffs. I liked how he smacked Hemsky around (someone had to hit something) and he killed some penalties almost single-handedly. That said, he's 45. FORTY-FIVE.

Goalies. Hasek. He's got a papier-mache groin and is flighty. It will not end well. But in the end Hasek gamble is what it is. If he stays healthy, I think he's shown that he still is a good enough goalie to make a difference. Is he what he once was? No. If he had a good groin and I was going into the playoffs with him in the net would I be happy? Definitely. The 2002 playoffs were the only time during my life as a Wings' fan where I always felt my team had the better goalie in series. It's a nice feeling. Osgood is a good backup. From what I've seen of him in the pre-season, he's look good. Behind them you have MacDonald, Liv, and Howard. If any of those three see a lot of minutes the Wings are probably in trouble, but I think they each have some promise.

Then there is the question of size/toughness. Do they lack it? Yes. Would I like to see more of it? Definitely. The Wings addressed this by signing street UFA Brad Norton. He's their 13th forward. He will likely not suit up many nights and even when in uniform he'll likely not see too many minutes, but it's nice to know that the Wings have at least someone, if need be, whocan drop the gloves and take care of business. The Wings desparately lack size and toughness and, while Norton isn't really going to change that dramatically, at this point any little bit will help. I'd much rather have him than the other forwards that were trying out (Hussey, Kolanos, Langfeld, or Devereaux) each of which seemed sort of like interchangeable 4th line parts. At least Norton has a role, limited as it is. the answer. I love that's he's willing to drop the loves and stand up for his teammates. I like that he's scrappy, but the Wings need grit and size that can play more than 6-7 minutes a game. They didn't address this in the offseason. Maybe they are hoping with Franzen getting more ice time that will help. I even read this morning that Babcock was talking about how Jason Williams had beefed up and could be more of a physical presence. If the Wings are relying on that sort of wishful thinking, there could be an issue. The Oilers dominated the front of both nets last year.

To conclude (if anyone bothered reading all of this crap), I am not nearly as pessmistic as most Wings' fans. I think this team will be fine. I see them coming in second in their division and finishing in the top 5 in the regular season. It's far too early to start making predictions about the playoffs. The one thing Holland has done, unlike last year, is saved cap space (see, e.g., Oilers, Edmonton 05-06). Assuming the Wings are in a position to make a playoff run, Holland has the ability to make a move or two of some significance. I would imagine this would include some additional toughness/grit up front. Still, I don't see them as a Cup contender.

As I've said before, I am not sure what else the Wings could have done in the off-season UFA wise. There are very few players who, for the money they signed for, I really felt the Wings missed out on. Signing Owen Nolan would have been fun. I think Mike Grier, even at the money he signed for, would have been an excellent addition, but other than that, the contracts were too inflated. I don't blame Holland for passing on them.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 11:55 PM   #4
watravaler
High School JV

The Blackhawks will probably suck, that is all.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:35 AM   #5
Johnny93g
College Starter

Leafs and Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup final

Thats right, keep laughing, but it's as realistic as an Edmonton/Carolina prediction a year ago

BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:50 AM   #6
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Something me and my fellow Ducks fans have been talking about the past few days: the lack of detractors for our team. We are apparently the trendy pick to win the Cup after getting Pronger. SI picked us. Hockey News picked us. Everyone is saying nice thing about us.

So, all of us, being pessimistic Ducks fans, are a little freaked out, and wish everyone would start finding things to nitpick at us (lack of experienced scoring, too much reliance on youth, defense depth, the looming Bryz-Jiggy battle in net), so that the "jinx" won't be on us.

I have long been a fan of career underdogs (LA Rams, football UCLA, Angels, Clips, and of course, the Ducks), and my teams hardly ever get picked to win anything. So, yeah, I'm a bit weirded out by all the love.

I'm just hoping we win game one, and crush the Kings.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:58 AM   #7
dervack
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
The Blackhawks will probably suck, that is all.
i dont know.

they look good in preseason.

i think they go all way to stenly's cup.
dervack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:07 AM   #8
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The only thing that makes me feel good about the Wings this year is the knowledge that the Avs are going to suck far worse. I'm prepared for the inevitable falling off of the Wings, so if they are better than I hope, it will be a pleasant surprise.

And of course, there's always my wife's favorite team, the Panthers, to root for... :o
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:30 AM   #9
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
The only thing that makes me feel good about the Wings this year is the knowledge that the Avs are going to suck far worse. I'm prepared for the inevitable falling off of the Wings, so if they are better than I hope, it will be a pleasant surprise.

And of course, there's always my wife's favorite team, the Panthers, to root for... :o

the Avs might surprise you this year. Rest assured, they have a TON of question marks - Jose Theodore being the biggest. I think it really will boil down to the big three...Brad Richardson, Wojtek Wolski and Marek Svatos. (yeah, not the big 3 you thought I was going to say). Svatos had a great rookie season...and might be the less talented of the three. Richardson didn't show much last year, but has looked much better this year in camp. And Wolski seems like he's ready to explode. Paul Stastny also made the team on the strength of a strong camp and the 4 injuries, but he might not have a spot for long. If 2 of those guys have a decent season, along with veterans like Hejduk, Sakic and Brunette, things could be fun this year.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:51 AM   #10
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm excited about Friday night. The Devils will head to Carolina and try to get at least a small piece of revenge for last year's playoff loss to the Hurricanes. All of the important players are back this year, and it's amazing to see a division-winning team be able to keep its best guys around. The offseason salary cap issues with the Devils are well-documented, so I don't need to repeat those, but I'm just very impressed at the way Lamoriello got all those guys signed to contracts before the season opener. The man is clearly one of the best GMs in pro sports. He continues to amaze me.

I found this interview with Vladimir Malakhov, and I can't tell if it's real or not. I've never heard of this Russian Hockey Digest website, and I really don't know if this translation is a joke. I've gotta say that if this thing is a joke, it's a good one, because I can imagine Malakhov saying these things. The Sharks traded for this? The interview is here: http://www.rushockey.com/events.php?...erviews&id=525. Here's the text of it:

Quote:
V. Malakhov: Ah, my compatriot newspaper! It's very good that someone managed to find me, as the local media is constantly reporting that I am missing.

Where are you?
V. Malakhov: Everyone is looking for me on the ice in New Jersey, but in reality I am playing tennis in Miami at the present moment. The theory of my disappearance was conjured up by American journalists or by someone from the “Devils”.

New Jersey papers report that you were invited to training camp...
V. Malakhov: That's news to me. In any case, I have not received anything, and nobody from the team has called me in a long-long time.

What is your current status?
V. Malakhov: I retired midway through last season. Even then I got tired of this mess with my contract. Thus, in the last few months I have not even given thought to making a comeback.

The New Jersey Devils maintain that you remain a cap hit for the team.
V. Malakhov: I don't know, it's of no interest to me. I don't want to fight for this money - enough, I'm tired of it!

You do not receive a salary from the New Jersey Devils?
V. Malakhov: Indeed.

But you're losing an enormous amount of money by Russian standards - about ten thousand dollars per day...
V. Malakhov: Money - it's good, but time and nerves are more valuable.

Nevertheless, the have been reports in the media that your agent is engaged in negotiations about some sort of compensation payments.
V. Malakhov: In fifteen years of hockey I've had enough injuries for it to be possible for me to obtain some insurance money. But, I repeat, I don’t want to spend any time or nerves on the matter.

Where is the other no-show at training camp, Alexander Mogilny?
V. Malakhov: I heard that he reported to camp after all, his case is completely different. I haven't spoken to him in a long time though.

Are you experiencing any nostalgia about hockey?
V. Malakhov: No. My knees are almost completely gone - they are only good enough to play tennis. I only regret one thing - that last summer I changed my mind and played for New Jersey instead of Vityaz. The saying holds true: it's no good to change your mind at the last moment. This whole New Jersey mess started as a result.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:53 AM   #11
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Dola

The Malakhov article is dated September 19, 2006, so it's a couple weeks old.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:12 AM   #12
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well this dealing by the Devils to get under the cap is certainly interesting. Clever deals but both are horrible precedents for the integrity of the salary cap system.

Mogilny

The Devils don't have to count Mogilny's contract ($3.5M) because he's Long Term Injured. They WOULD have had to count the contract if Mogilny was retired. This is a joke. It is open license to sign older players to long-term deals, fully knowing that when they get too old, you put them on LTI and they don't count against the cap any more. The notion that the injury has to be confirmed by an independent physician is meaningless? What 37 year old NHLer could not convince a doctor that his knee or his shoulder hurts too much to play any more?

What this means, say, is you have a Mike Modano or somebody, 33 years old, late in career (say 5 years left) but still a prime performer, worth say $6M per year. You sign him to an 8 year, $32M deal, which counts $4M against the salary cap. He stops playing at age 38, but instead of retiring, goes on LTI. He's still getting the $32M so he's happy. 5 years at his market value of $6M would have only been $30 million. Meanwhile, the team only had to count $4 million against the salary cap for all those years, giving them $2M in free cap space, and the fact that his career is now over is irrelevant because the last 3 years on his deal do not count against the cap.

This will happen, you just watch.

Malakhov

This one just pisses me off. The Devils effectively give the Sharks a first round pick to take Malakhov's contract off their hands. The guy is apparently in Russia. He's not going to play. So his salary counts against the cap. But here's the kicker -- the Sharks DO NOT HAVE TO PAY HIM. He's not playing. So this costs them cap space, but NO money. Basically a free first round pick, given the team's existing budget.

I guess overall this provides an incentive, sort of like trading carbon emissions, for some teams to stay under the cap so they have room to do deals like this. But the market for this kind of deal will become more transparent and the price will go down. The system was designed precisely to punish teams for signing inflated deals like this one, and here we just have another way for the rich teams to get out from under their obligations without being punished. And why did this generosity have to involve a good team in the Western Conference? Couldn't he have swung this with Washington?

Not happy.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:29 AM   #13
bbor
Pro Starter

I could easily see the Ducks as the champs this season if their younger players can continue to develop as they have been.They also have an ace in the hole as they could deal one of their goalies to shore up any weakness they think they may have during the season.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:10 PM   #14
boberot
High School Varsity

Goalies. Hasek. He's got a papier-mache groin and is flighty.

Wow. What a great line to start off the season.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:14 PM   #15
boberot
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Something me and my fellow Ducks fans have been talking about the past few days: the lack of detractors for our team. We are apparently the trendy pick to win the Cup after getting Pronger. SI picked us. Hockey News picked us. Everyone is saying nice thing about us.

So, all of us, being pessimistic Ducks fans, are a little freaked out, and wish everyone would start finding things to nitpick at us (lack of experienced scoring, too much reliance on youth, defense depth, the looming Bryz-Jiggy battle in net), so that the "jinx" won't be on us.

I have long been a fan of career underdogs (LA Rams, football UCLA, Angels, Clips, and of course, the Ducks), and my teams hardly ever get picked to win anything. So, yeah, I'm a bit weirded out by all the love.

I'm just hoping we win game one, and crush the Kings.

Wow. Get out of my head.
Buffalo, also, is a trendy pick to compete for the cup. We, in Buffalo, are not used to that sort of talk. We're not used to being held up in the preseason as a model of excellence. I feel like I could burst the bubble on everybody's optimism and point out our many flaws; but have been restraining myself.

I also am a fan of underdog teams [I am a Buffalo sports fan, after all -- and now I live near and cheer for St Bonaventure University, for those who follow college hoops. Talk about an underdog!]

All that being said, I am JUICED for tonight's rematch where my Sabres will stand there and watch The Hurricanes hoist the banner on opening night. If that doesnt motivate you, you might be dead.
boberot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'll watch at least some of the Buffalo-Carolina matchup. I'd like to get an idea of what to expect out of Carolina when they play the Devils on Friday.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:27 PM   #17
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Devils don't have to count Mogilny's contract ($3.5M) because he's Long Term Injured. They WOULD have had to count the contract if Mogilny was retired. This is a joke. It is open license to sign older players to long-term deals, fully knowing that when they get too old, you put them on LTI and they don't count against the cap any more. The notion that the injury has to be confirmed by an independent physician is meaningless? What 37 year old NHLer could not convince a doctor that his knee or his shoulder hurts too much to play any more?
But if teams used this loophole, they still have to pay the player even though it wouldn't hit their cap. For a retired player, it's the opposite: they don't get paid, but they do count against the cap.

It's a loophole, but I doubt too many teams will write off that much money in dead salaries.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:07 PM   #18
watravaler
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dervack View Post
i dont know.

they look good in preseason.

i think they go all way to stenly's cup.

If I didn't think the individuals making decisions for the Blackhawks were morons, I'd feel the same way. However, I do, the idiots in charge have no idea what they are doing, and they have destroyed what once was a great hockey team/town.
watravaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #19
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

my preview of the Avs for all one of you who cares about them.
http://inthecheapseats.com/?p=45
Old 10-04-2006, 06:19 PM   #20
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Death to the Avs!!
I have a feeling the Stars are going to stink, though.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:27 PM   #21
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I love watching a blue screen when I should be watching the Sabres game... anyone else having issues with a game on Versus?
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:40 PM   #22
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
I love watching a blue screen when I should be watching the Sabres game... anyone else having issues with a game on Versus?

They are blocking out the out the Canes raising their Stanley cup banner in the Buffalo area.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:47 PM   #23
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by watravaler View Post
If I didn't think the individuals making decisions for the Blackhawks were morons, I'd feel the same way. However, I do, the idiots in charge have no idea what they are doing, and they have destroyed what once was a great hockey team/town.

Read the Raiders Look Good In The Pre-Season thread

He was mocking JBMagic. You're new around here so don't think people on here are stupid enough to think the Blackhawks will ever be good with Wertz in charge.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:49 PM   #24
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Edmonton Oilers preview

Ok, so I took last year off from hockey. I still haven't decided if I'm getting back into again, but needless to say I still loosely follow the team. I'm still not convinced that Roloson is the answer in goal, and 3 years at 4 million!!! I gotta get me some of Rollie's agent to settle my next contract. But thankfully HB and the Devils have given us a way out of that (forwarding the post to Kevin Lowe right now.)

So I guess it all depends on

Message alert!!!!!!

This post has been interupted to bring you breaking news on the Tie Domi divorce procedings. We are also broadcasting this message on the 3 major Canadian TV stations, TSN, Sportsnet, and the front page of all canadian sports web pages.

Nothing new has developed in the last 30 mins. But reports are indicating that Tie had speghitti for lunch, while unconformed reports indicate that Belinda and Leeanne both had cesear salads for lunch. It is undertermined if this will effect the procedings in any way, but stay tuned to this page, station, radio broadcast for more information.

This has been a special Tie Domi divorce procedings update. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

...and if that all comes together than I'm sure they will do well.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:56 PM   #25
bronconick
College Starter

I don't know if the Sharks are experienced enough on the blue line to be a serious Stanley Cup contender (hell, Vlasic almost made/is still on the roster as a 19 year old) , but the offense ought to be fun.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #26
Cork
H.S. Freshman Team

I am very interested to see how O'Sullivan and Kopitar do for the Kings this season.

-Cork
Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #27
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Hey, the Versus (OLN) graphics for this year don't look like they were ripped from the 1980s!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #28
Pyser
Pro Rookie

game looks nice in hd here in LA. INHD picked up the game. no complaints here.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:31 PM   #29
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Hey, the Versus (OLN) graphics for this year don't look like they were ripped from the 1980s!

SI

yeah. still a stupid fucking name...but the graphics are sweet.
then again, it's not like it could have gotten worse
Old 10-04-2006, 07:38 PM   #30
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm not watching any hockey yet because my wife has kinda taken over the TV. It's OK, though. I'll catch a little of the late game.
Old 10-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #31
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Pens news...

Brooks Orpik missing an undetermined amount of time with a hand injury. Pretty much THE physical guy on the blue line, although Eaton should help this year a little. But worse than that is this means Rob Scuderi and Joe Melichar will both be on the ice in the same game!!

Also, after claiming ANOTHER 4th line forward, this time from Buffalo, Chris Thoburn, they waived Dany Sabourin (they had kept 3 G's on the roster, Sabourin, MA Fleury and Thibault). Sabourin claimed by Vancouver off waivers.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:51 PM   #32
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71 View Post
Death to the Avs!!
I have a feeling the Stars are going to stink, though.

certainly looked as that would be the case through 2 periods, i turn the channel for approximately 5 minutes at the start of the 3rd, they score twice...go down a man in overtime, end of the penalty kill turco puts a perfect pass to center ice for sydor for a breakaway goal...i didnt think i would watch alot of hockey this season but that game had me on the edge of my seat....great start for the stars if u dont count the first period
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:27 AM   #33
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Whoa, seeing Marty Turco's name in RGunner's post surprised me. I guess I was so consumed by the Devils' offseason that I forgot about Turco still being in Dallas. I guess the Stars have no intention of winning another Cup anytime soon, huh?
Old 10-05-2006, 07:28 AM   #34
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

More Pens fun...

Jordan Staal in the lineup for tonight's opener...centering the 4th line!
I bet thesd 5 minutes a game of ice will really develop him.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:42 AM   #35
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
More Pens fun...

Jordan Staal in the lineup for tonight's opener...centering the 4th line!
I bet thesd 5 minutes a game of ice will really develop him.

How much ice time per game was Joe Thornton getting in his rookie season?
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 07:42 AM   #36
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I need a new Devils cap to wear to the Igloo when New Jersey visits Pittsburgh on the 18th. Quick, somebody recommend an online store that I could buy from!
Old 10-05-2006, 07:47 AM   #37
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
I need a new Devils cap to wear to the Igloo when New Jersey visits Pittsburgh on the 18th. Quick, somebody recommend an online store that I could buy from!

shop.nhl.com
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 08:02 AM   #38
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

well, now I can't use any of my Dallas in playoff form jokes...
Old 10-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #39
RGunner
High School JV

Quote:
Whoa, seeing Marty Turco's name in RGunner's post surprised me. I guess I was so consumed by the Devils' offseason that I forgot about Turco still being in Dallas. I guess the Stars have no intention of winning another Cup anytime soon, huh?

so true too, maybe one of these years he'll play good in the playoffs...highly unlikely though..
RGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:06 PM   #40
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post

Do you think that helped or slowed Thornton's progress?

And, if as most assume, they are going to send him back to Peterborough after his 9 games, why even keep him here at all?

If you want to make the argument that 82 games at NHL speed, even on the 4th line, will help, OK. I don't know if I buy it, but I can see the arguement.
But how does 9 games at NHL speed help?
Old 10-05-2006, 12:38 PM   #41
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post

I actually think this is what made Thortons career.Playing on a 4th line with no pressure or spotlights on him.I also think it is what made him one of the better defensive forwards in the league.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #42
bbor
Pro Starter

The Marlboros played a great game against the Senators last night.Who would have ever thought a AHL team could keep the mighty Sens in check.If the Sens can't blow out an AHL team how will they ever win a cup?

Now i am just wondering when the Leafs players are gonna play instead of the farm team.They did know that the regular season started last night right?I mean exhibition play has been over for a week...no?

BTW Leaf fans.....There is a new "givaway" Gill in town...are'nt ya excited!

Old 10-05-2006, 12:42 PM   #43
bbor
Pro Starter

The Marlboros played a great game against the Senators last night.Who would have ever thought a AHL team could keep the mighty Sens in check.If the Sens can't blow out an AHL team how will they ever win a cup?

Now i am just wondering when the Leafs players are gonna play instead of the farm team.They did know that the regular season started last night right?I mean exhibition play has been over for a week...no?

Old 10-05-2006, 12:48 PM   #44
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Tonight in Detroit the Wings will introduce the two assisstants and the captain last. It's pretty apparent Lidstrom has the C. The A's are probably Zetterburg and Draper but we'll see. Yzerman will be dropping the puck so the Joe will be rocking tonight.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:53 PM   #45
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
I actually think this is what made Thortons career.Playing on a 4th line with no pressure or spotlights on him.I also think it is what made him one of the better defensive forwards in the league.

true, but I think he also had the right mental makeup for this to work. A lot of star players need some a wee bit of coddling - put them over their head, or in a place where they aren't going to be a key player and they tend to go backwards. or so "they" say.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:02 PM   #46
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

After seeing mention of the Red Wings and their captaincy, I'm wondering if and when the Devils will finally name Elias the captain. If he's worth signing to that big contract (and he is worth it), give the man a "C" on his sweater. Scott Stevens ain't coming back, and neither is Scott Niedermayer. Hook my man Patrik up with the "C." How difficult is this?

I also think that Colin White should be stripped of his "A", but I'll try not to get into the Colin White bashing too soon.
Old 10-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #47
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post

I thought Pohl played well. That's about it for the kids. Noone else impressed me. I had high hopes for Ian White. I thought he skated well with the puck, but he turned the puck over a few times. I thought Ponikarovsky had an awful game. He couldnt control one puck that went near him. ugh. The pre-game ceremony honoring Salming, Day, and Kelly was awesome though!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:02 PM   #48
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
After seeing mention of the Red Wings and their captaincy, I'm wondering if and when the Devils will finally name Elias the captain. If he's worth signing to that big contract (and he is worth it), give the man a "C" on his sweater. Scott Stevens ain't coming back, and neither is Scott Niedermayer. Hook my man Patrik up with the "C." How difficult is this?

I also think that Colin White should be stripped of his "A", but I'll try not to get into the Colin White bashing too soon.

Haha well Modano lost his C so White can surely lose his A.

Lidstrom will be the Wings C till he retires. This is probably his last contract so Z will soon be the man here in Detroit.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #49
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

Mogilny had (or has) a huge contract. Some guys just aren't "C" material.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #50
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
I thought Pohl played well. That's about it for the kids. Noone else impressed me. I had high hopes for Ian White. I thought he skated well with the puck, but he turned the puck over a few times. I thought Ponikarovsky had an awful game. He couldnt control one puck that went near him. ugh. The pre-game ceremony honoring Salming, Day, and Kelly was awesome though!!!

Pohl looked very slow to me as did Gill...Gill got beat huge by Neil for crying out loud...he;s a goon not even a real player.I can honestly say as i sit here thinking about it that not one Leaf comes to mind as having a strong game.