Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: Other than Jim Brown, who was the greatest running back ever?
Barry Sanders 28 31.46%
Walter Payton 36 40.45%
Emmitt Smith 9 10.11%
Eric Dickerson 0 0%
Marcus Allen 0 0%
Gayle Sayers 5 5.62%
Marshall Faulk 3 3.37%
O.J. Simpson 2 2.25%
Thurman Thomas 1 1.12%
other 5 5.62%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2003, 09:24 AM   #1
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

My running back is better than yours!

I think there's a consensus that James Brown was the greatest running back that ever lived. But #2, in my view, is wide open, with several guys who can make arguments.

I voted for Sweetness, BTW. He could run, catch, and block with the best of them. I don't expect this to be the final word on the subject.

Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:28 AM   #2
Easy Mac

Yeah man, James Brown had amazing feet on stage. That man made moves I've never seen.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:28 AM   #3
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

I disagree with the opening statement.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:38 AM   #4
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Re: My running back is better than yours!

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu Blue
I think there's a consensus that James Brown was the greatest running back that ever lived.

and he could really get on the scene like a sex machine.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:43 AM   #5
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
red grange!
Old 02-11-2003, 09:44 AM   #6
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

My vote goes to Payton, but OJ 's gotta be the best running back in the Naked Gun movies...
Old 02-11-2003, 09:59 AM   #7
PilotMan
Head Coach

Barry Sanders is the best..he had to play in Detroit!!

What if Barry and Emmit switch......hmm....I say Emmit is out of football and Barry clears 20,000 yds.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:06 PM   #8
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I don't think Emmitt could have done nearly as well as Barry in Detroit, but I'm not sure that Barry Sanders would have worked in the Dallas offense either. He seems like the best RB ever for a bad team, where he could rip off 80 yards like that. On a good team that wanted to pound the ball, I am not sure if Sanders would have worked though. I still voted him #2, but it would have been interesting to see him play for a good team.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 01:10 PM   #9
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It's simple...Emmitt has the most yards and the most rings. He's clearly 2.

I think Sanders was somewhat blessed to be playing for a crappy team. A good team doesn't put up with the -5 bullshit even if he could take it to the house. He has to be help somewhat accountable for his team pretty much always sucking.

You have to put Payton at 3.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:02 PM   #10
Kodos
Resident Alien

I put Payton first, Sanders second. I can't help but feel Terrell Davis would be in there too if not for that one fateful knee injury that sent him into oblivion. It's a shame his career was destroyed while he was trying to tackle an opponent after a turnover. No chance of Randy Moss ever getting hurt that way...
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 02:49 PM   #11
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

It would have been fun to watch Nagurski play in the day. May have been the best power runner ever.

In a game at Wrigley Field, Nagurski once broke a defensive player's shoulder, knocked another out, then ran into the brick wall and cracked it on a game winning touchdown run.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:02 PM   #12
3ric
College Starter

Terrell Davis and Bo Jackson both could have been up for consideration as "coulda-been-best-ever". Damn shame.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:10 PM   #13
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Gayle Sayers and I've got the APBA board game to prove it!

Tarkus
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:12 PM   #14
WebEwbank
High School JV

Earl Campbell at his peak.
WebEwbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:34 PM   #15
AgPete
College Prospect

I'm a Cowboys fan but I'm the first to admit Barry Sanders would have 20,000 yards if he had run behind the Cowboys offensive line in the 90's. That was one of the greatest if not the best offensive line of all time. If Sanders could make due with what he had in Detroit, he would have been a god in Dallas behind those giants.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:53 PM   #16
moriarty
College Starter

MY vote is for Walter Payton.

I never saw Jim Brown or Gale Sayers play, and OJ was past his prime before I really started watching him. Emmit is the career leader, Emmit had a potential hall of fame receiver/QB to reduce the pressure. Walter had Jim McMahon & Willie Gault at best, Bob Avellini and god knows who receiving at worst.

Narrowing down between Walter and Barry is tough, but I give Walter the nod for all around contributions (Barry for shear enjoyment). Walter was the best runner, receiver and pass blocker on his team during his prime. He threw several touchdown passes, and he was also the backup kicker and punter. He still stands out as the best I've ever seen.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:59 PM   #17
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Ernie Davis

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:48 PM   #18
mckerney
Coordinator

Troy Hambrick
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 05:41 PM   #19
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

#34 Walter Payton I watch some of his old games....and man he was just so.....I dont have words for him he's that good.

noop
Old 02-11-2003, 07:49 PM   #20
Blackadar
Retired

Re: My running back is better than yours!

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu Blue
I think there's a consensus that James Brown was the greatest running back that ever lived. But #2, in my view, is wide open, with several guys who can make arguments.

Who came up with this consensus? I disagree.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 07:56 PM   #21
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Re: Re: My running back is better than yours!

Quote:
Originally posted by cthomer5000
and he could really get on the scene like a sex machine.

Getonup, getup, getonup...stay in the scene, like a sex machine...

Walter Payton, though I'm sure there are runningbacks of yore that were just as good, I just can't remember that far back...(besides Jim Brown).
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:14 PM   #22
Honolulu Blue
Dynasty Boy

The consensus about Jim Brown

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
Who came up with this consensus? I disagree.

No one and everyone. I did a quick search and came up with this site, this site, this site, and this site declaring such. It's kind of like saying Babe Ruth is baseball's greatest hitter or Michael Jordan is basketball's greatest player - lots of people say such things, and you can show through statistics that those assertations are true, but you can show also they aren't.

Anyway, if I had done this poll including Jim Brown, he would most likely win, and probably get over half the vote. Maybe I'll set up that poll someday - "Jim Brown, NFL's best running back ever?" - and find out for sure.
Honolulu Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:22 PM   #23
tucker342
Pro Starter

It was a tough choice between Payton and Sanders. But I decided to go with Sanders, I remember watching him play, he was a fun running back to watch. He was the only reason I would ever even think about watching a Lions game.
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:35 PM   #24
Jets80
High School Varsity

Other then Curtis Martin, Who was the greatest runnig back of all time ? and its not Jim Brown.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 08:48 PM   #25
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We all know the best double murderer on the list is OJ. Wait, oh, running back (sorry, couldn't resist)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:53 PM   #26
cmp
Pro Rookie

Barry Sanders is the best there ever was. No one comes close.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:00 PM   #27
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally posted by Jets80
Other then Curtis Martin, Who was the greatest runnig back of all time ? and its not Jim Brown.

Freeman McNeil?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 10:16 PM   #28
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I voted for Emmitt, partly out of being a homer for the 'Boys and partly because I think the yardage, the touchdowns and the rings give him the edge over Sweetness.

Granted, Payton never had the supporting cast Emmitt did in Dallas, but Emmitt was simply the best "big game" running back ever. Whether it was the Super Bowl, the playoffs or a big regular season game, Emmitt always rose to the occassion.

Sanders was a highlight show, but he never showed up in a big game. When the Lions had to win, too often Barry disappear. It had nothing to do with Barry's line -- it was Barry. He got by on pure athleticism. Whereas Payton and Emmitt knew how to follow a block and break a run, Barry didn't. He could make people miss, but there's more to being a great RB than that.

Allen was great to watch, particularly in short-yardage. Put the ball on the two-yard line and Marcus would get it in one-way or another. Too bad Davis screwed him all those years in Raider land.

I like Marshall and he's got mad numbers, but he needs more time and more rings to catch Emmitt.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 01:10 AM   #29
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
I think Sanders was somewhat blessed to be playing for a crappy team.

Yeah, he woke up on monday morning and said " Damn, Praise God, the Lions suck, I am SO blessed."

Does anyone remember that they ran the Run & Shoot?

No Tightends........No Blockingback.......No Fullback......4 WR and

The Best.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 03:44 AM   #30
Rich1033
High School Varsity

I think Barry is the best of all time. However I am suprised to see how few votes Emmitt Smith has. I would have thought the man with a couple rings and those rushing records would have more than 12%.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 04:37 AM   #31
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich1033
However I am suprised to see how few votes Emmitt Smith has. I would have thought the man with a couple rings and those rushing records would have more than 12%.

He DOES ! He 's got 12.16 %...
fantastic flying froggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 06:21 AM   #32
condors
College Starter

I didn't vote for sanders as sweetness is still the best of all time in my eyes but take a look at barry sanders in college he had a good offensive line and he pounded the ball and was everything a championship team would want. If the defensive line is getting penetration and barry sanders breaks off an 80 yard TD this is held against him? He could and would pound the ball when the holes where there
condors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:18 AM   #33
oykib
College Starter

Hey, I went to college in Buffalo during Thurman's prime. He was an amazing back.

But how the hell did he get a vote?
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 10:19 AM   #34
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally posted by moriarty
MY vote is for Walter Payton.

Narrowing down between Walter and Barry is tough, but I give Walter the nod for all around contributions (Barry for shear enjoyment). Walter was the best runner, receiver and pass blocker on his team during his prime. He threw several touchdown passes, and he was also the backup kicker and punter. He still stands out as the best I've ever seen.

I agree with moriarty. Barry Sanders was far and away the most incredible runner I've ever seen, but Sweetness was the best all-around package. The guy used to destroy the Vikings on a regular basis.

Marshall Faulk still has aways to go before he gets into this discussion, but at his peak in terms of health, he's worthy. The guy is an offensive juggernaut.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:28 AM   #35
wishbone
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by sterlingice
We all know the best double murderer on the list is OJ. Wait, oh, running back (sorry, couldn't resist)

SI

I think having that white Bronco blocking for him could have added a couple years to his career.
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 12:07 PM   #36
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by oykib
Hey, I went to college in Buffalo during Thurman's prime. He was an amazing back.

But how the hell did he get a vote?

I gave it to him just for his Super Bowl XXV performance. The man was unstoppable on that day. too bad he wasn't quite so crisp in other super bowls. Also, he was one of the best post-season runners ever.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote