Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2003, 09:15 AM   #1
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Kordell Stewart- Can he become a good QB?

Stewart is going to be released before the end of the month, and he has already stated he will not go to a team unless they give him a chance to start. So the question is, can he become at least a solid starter on another team? What will it take?

I say it is possible, but unlikely.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:19 AM   #2
Bee
Pro Starter

He'll never be a solid starter. He may start someplace, but he'll be inconsistent and a temporary solution at best. JMO.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:22 AM   #3
primelord
Pro Rookie

He has plenty of chances to show he can be a starter in this league and he just can't get it done. I don't think he will ever be a solid starterin the NFL.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:30 AM   #4
PilotMan
Head Coach

Being the huge Steelers fan that I am, and having watched his great moments and watching the times I wanted to kill him, I have to say that I don't think so.

There is a Behavioral Psychological theory that says that reward given in inconsistant doses will create the greatest change in behavior. Essentially, if you are rewarded inconsistatly for something you do, you will be more likely to repeat the behavior to achieve the goal. Meaning the more inconsistant that he is the more he is given a chance. I think that Cowher fell right into this. Gambling is a great example of this.

Anyway, I think he could have be a very exciting 'player' if he would open himself up to the possibilites of success. Look at how Hines Ward and Randel El have done. And 'Slash' was exciting. At QB, he lacks intelligence to read defences effectively, and his armspeed and release are horribly slow. The only WR he truly connected with was Charles Johnson, and they played at Colorado together. He just never had that reciever he knew he could go to at anytime, and it wasn't the reciever's fault.

Some team will pick him up, and he will start somewhere in the NFL though, maybe not this year, but eventually.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 09:32 AM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Maybe at age 38 he can do a rodney peete impression. He'll never be someone you want to be your starter. period.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 11:42 AM   #6
moriarty
College Starter

Even with all the changes in Offensive Coordinator, etc. that he had to go through I still wouldn't give him the nod at starting QB. I'd rather take my chances on a Jake Plummer (or even Trent Dilfer) than a Kordell.

Of course, I would have said that Tommy Maddux would never be a starter before this year, so what do I know.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:28 PM   #7
scooper
College Benchwarmer

Re: Kordell Stewart- Can he become a good QB?

Quote:
Originally posted by GrantDawg
he has already stated he will not go to a team unless they give him a chance to start.

So he's retiring?
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 12:32 PM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
Re: Kordell Stewart- Can he become a good QB?

Quote:
Stewart is going to be released before the end of the month, and he has already stated he will not go to a team unless they give him a chance to start.

It is a shame that some of these guys forget they are getting very well paid to play a game. At least if he leaves someone else will get to live their dream.
Old 02-11-2003, 12:42 PM   #9
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by moriarty
Of course, I would have said that Tommy Maddux would never be a starter before this year, so what do I know.
Actually, I think you would have had a ton of company on this one.

Tarkus
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 03:55 PM   #10
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by moriarty
Even with all the changes in Offensive Coordinator, etc. that he had to go through I still wouldn't give him the nod at starting QB. I'd rather take my chances on a Jake Plummer (or even Trent Dilfer) than a Kordell.

That is why I said it could happen if not probable. You never know what might happen in time.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:27 PM   #11
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
That is why I said it could happen if not probable. You never know what might happen in time.

No the difference with Tommy Maddox and Kurt Warner is they weren't really given much of a chance when they first came into the league and they just needed some playing time to develop. They found that development time in the smaller leagues.

Kordell has had ample playing time over the years and just couldn't get it together. He will never be a successful QB.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 04:28 PM   #12
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Kordell would be a kick ass CFL QB.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2003, 06:23 PM   #13
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think Kordell is capable of playing well and putting together several good starts in a row, but his play is so erratic that it would be foolish for anyone to ever allow him to start a full season for them.

It will be interesting to see who takes a chance on him. Kordell could cause the GM or Head Coach who chooses to sign him get fired.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 06:06 AM   #14
Blackadar
Retired

Perhaps. I don't want him on the Steelers, but some QBs just "get it" late in their careers and put together a few good years.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:28 AM   #15
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Ksyrup
Kordell would be a kick ass CFL QB.

I was thinking the exact same thing. If he really wants to be a starter, take less money and go be a star in the CFL. His game is perfect for it.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 08:56 AM   #16
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Anything is possible, and I would be surprised if he isn't starting somewhere this season, but I doubt that he will ever be considered to be much good.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 09:09 AM   #17
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I see him as Tony Banks II. He'll kick around as a "possible starter" for teams that are developing a young gun or who have injury problems, but he's no long term solution.

He had that one amazing offensive season, but other than that he has been Mr. Inconsistency. He has not lacked opportunities.