Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-27-2006, 05:36 AM   #1
3ric
College Starter

Going to NYC, where to eat and shop? (edited title)

Me, my wife and another couple are planning to travel to NYC some time in December. Any advice on where to stay for about 5-7 days would be very helpful. Pricing: about $130-150 a night by my estimate (would this be enough for a decent place?). I've been checking out some apartment hotels with two-bedroom suites for us to share but any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Last edited by 3ric : 12-12-2006 at 02:24 AM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:31 AM   #2
Joe
Pro Starter

I'm staying at the Grand Hyatt when I go in a couple of weeks. We got a good rate ($200), so not as low as you're looking for. Last time we stayed at a cheap place that ended up not even having locks on the doors.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 06:34 AM   #3
Klinglerware
College Starter

December is a peak travel season for NYC--I would expect rates at halfway-decent hotels to be high, especially if you stay in mid-town Manhattan
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:31 AM   #4
Ramzavail
College Starter

If you want any good places to go eat, let me know, I can recommend a bunch of good places depending upon what style you want.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:36 AM   #5
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I wouldn't worry too much about the location of the hotel itself, but if you don't get an ideal area, just do your best to make sure you are near one of the more major subway lines.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:58 AM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ric View Post
Me, my wife and another couple are planning to travel to NYC some time in December. Any advice on where to stay for about 5-7 days would be very helpful. Pricing: about $130-150 a night by my estimate (would this be enough for a decent place?). I've been checking out some apartment hotels with two-bedroom suites for us to share but any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Be VERY careful trying to go cheap on hotels in NYC. Check reviews and I wouldn't suggest staying at anything less than a 3 star establishment. I know you're trying to save money, but NYC hotels are not the place that you want to go on the cheap. The only way you can get relatively cheap rooms that are decent quality is to go outside the island and ride the subway into town. I've done that before and it's not a bad option. Got a 3 star hotel room for around $70/night near a subway station.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:15 AM   #7
3ric
College Starter

I've heard about the NYC hotels and I agree about the 3 star limit. An option I'm looking at is to get a junior suite and to split the tab with the other couple. That way we should be able to get a good hotel downtown for under $200 (paying only half of the full price).

Junior suite = bedroom + living room with pull out sofa.

Last edited by 3ric : 09-27-2006 at 09:16 AM.
3ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:10 AM   #8
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I've heard about the NYC hotels and I agree about the 3 star limit. An option I'm looking at is to get a junior suite and to split the tab with the other couple. That way we should be able to get a good hotel downtown for under $200 (paying only half of the full price).

Junior suite = bedroom + living room with pull out sofa.

That's a really good idea to room together. You get a much nicer place that way. If you can't agree on who sleeps on the couch, swap halfway through.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
3ric
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzavail View Post
If you want any good places to go eat, let me know, I can recommend a bunch of good places depending upon what style you want.

I'll probably PM you later on - finding interesting places to eat at is one of the objectives for the trip, as one of us in the travel party is a food writer. She's going to get some materials for articles during our stay.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:18 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
I'm staying at the Grand Hyatt when I go in a couple of weeks. We got a good rate ($200), so not as low as you're looking for. Last time we stayed at a cheap place that ended up not even having locks on the doors.

I've stayed at the Grand Hyatt a few times and will be going back for a Sat night in a few weeks. It's a great place, with a room size that isn't minimal (for a NYC hotel).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
BigDPW
College Prospect

Stayed at the Pennsylvania one time... Right across from MSG... Great location... Not what I was expecting as far as quality but it was not "that bad"... Ended up not spending that much and was right in the middle of manhattan a easy walk to Time Square, right across from MSG and Penn Station...
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
Stayed at the Pennsylvania one time... Right across from MSG... Great location... Not what I was expecting as far as quality but it was not "that bad"... Ended up not spending that much and was right in the middle of manhattan a easy walk to Time Square, right across from MSG and Penn Station...

I heard some nightmares about that place.

FYI for anyone else...I believe the official name is "Hotel Pennsylvania."
Old 09-27-2006, 08:23 PM   #13
Galaxy
Coordinator

Watch out for the bed bugs.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 08:29 PM   #14
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post

Fantastic location, but their rates have shot up in the last 2-3 years for some reason.

Two worthless Hotel PA comments: 1. Sally Jesse Rapheal and Maury Povich used to tape in the ballroom there. 2. During the Westminister Dog Show, it's like a kennel in the lobby.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 09:28 PM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

By the way, I'm completely bothered by the "on" in the thread title, unless it was merely a typo.

No offense to our Swedish friend, though.

Last edited by Logan : 09-27-2006 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #16
3ric
College Starter

Bump. We're due to arrive on Dec 27th, and leaves Jan 1st. We're staying in a nice Lower Manhattan hotel and any recommendations on what to eat and where to shop are welcome!
Old 12-11-2006, 01:54 PM   #17
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Bump. We're due to arrive on Dec 27th, and leaves Jan 1st. We're staying in a nice Lower Manhattan hotel and any recommendations on what to eat and where to shop are welcome!

If your wife wants all the knock-off purses, shoes, luggage, etc., head down to Chinatown. Your wallet will thank me for this suggestion.

Rolex knock-offs can be had for $20-40. Really nice looking and, unless someone is a Rolex expert, they won't know the difference.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #18
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:

If you're looking for a nice expensive place to eat go to Vong.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #19
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

The beautiful thing about the city is that you're a $2 subway ride away from any place you'd want to go.
Old 12-12-2006, 01:10 PM   #20
3ric
College Starter

Thanks for the suggestions... any recommended place for a pancake breakfast?
Old 12-12-2006, 01:38 PM   #21
Klinglerware
College Starter

As far as places to eat, there are just too many fantastic places to list. Consider getting a copy of the Zagat NYC restaurant guide, or looking things up on zagat.com.

While you are here consider trying some restuarants that specialize in American regional cooking. Sylvia's in Harlem is a go to place for Soul Food, for example (though it is pretty touristy at this point).

For more upscale restaurants, try one of Danny Meyer's restaurants (for a list, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Meyer). Yes, there is a lot of hype surrounding him, but I've never been disappointed with the food at any of his restaurants.

NYC is of course also great for international cuisine. One interesting experience could be having Peking Duck in Chinatown (try the "Peking Duck House"). Of course, for NYC's (expensive) take on Scandinavian cuisine, you could try "Aquavit" in mid town.

Breakfast? There are many places that serve a great brunch...
Old 12-12-2006, 03:09 PM   #22
Ramzavail
College Starter

3ric - I know you said you are staying downtown but I'd really try to make an effort to go to Patsy's - its an amazing italian restaurant

www.patsys.com

its in the theatre district

Last edited by Ramzavail : 12-12-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 05:45 PM   #23
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware View Post
NYC is of course also great for international cuisine. One interesting experience could be having Peking Duck in Chinatown (try the "Peking Duck House").

Yes, yes, go there. I ate there when I went in October and it was awesome.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 02:10 AM   #24
3ric
College Starter

Great suggestions so far - we'll make sure to visit both Patsy's and Peking Duck House. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:35 AM   #25
Klinglerware
College Starter

So, how did it go?
Old 02-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #26
gi
College Prospect

My fiance an I loved the three course dessert at Chikalicious. It is only dessert there, but the taste and flavor was outstanding.

hxxp://www.chikalicious.com/
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:24 PM   #27
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I'll be heading to NYC for the first time in my life the second weekend of March. I'm staying at the Hilton NY on Avenue of the Americas. What's around there that I need to see/visit/eat?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:00 PM   #28
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I'll be heading to NYC for the first time in my life the second weekend of March. I'm staying at the Hilton NY on Avenue of the Americas. What's around there that I need to see/visit/eat?

The first thing you need to know is that you're a $2 subway ride away from damn near everything. If you confine yourself to that area, you're missing out on 95% of the city.

That being said, you're smack in the middle between Central Park and Times Square, the prime tourist areas. While you should definitely walk in both directions to check out both places, don't be afraid to expand your horizons.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:09 PM   #29
Pyser
Pro Rookie

if i have my geography right, you are also right at radio city music hall and st patricks cathedral, obvious spots to hit up.

basically, just walk around. take in a few shows.

then walk some more.

take the subway to another part of the city, and walk again.

and eat a hot dog from a vendor.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:18 PM   #30
Logan
Head Coach

Also, you're right at Rockefeller Center. I've heard really good things about the new observation deck tour that takes place at the top. Amazing views, as you would expect.

http://www.topoftherocknyc.com/ODTStatic/site.htm