Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
BigDPW
College Prospect

Question Advice: Upgrade to XP from ME???

I am basically ready to take the plunge and upgrade from Windows ME to Windows XP but I want to hear from you guys about a couple of things. Especially you that have made the same transition from ME to XP...

1) Is it correct that you have to reformat your HD when you upgrade from ME to XP???

2) If #1 is correct then how big of a hassle is it to reformat you HD... I have alot of stuff on my CPU I hate to lose but with the current state of my ME (crashing 24/7) I am afraid it will take me 3 weeks to backup everything using my CDR drive...

3) Do you all find that XP is that much more stable than ME/98? (seems that everyone agrees this one is true on the internet)

4) Is their anywhere that sells the upgrade cheaper than $99... That is a relatively big chunk of change for a newlywed???

5) What are your overall impressions of XP?

I know this is an old discussion for the most part but if you guys would help me out I would be very appreciative...

Last edited by BigDPW : 02-10-2003 at 05:58 PM.
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:29 PM   #2
astralhaze
College Prospect

Re: Advice: Upgrade to XP from ME???

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDPW
1) Is it correct that you have to reformat your HD when you upgrade from ME to XP???

No, you don't have to, but it is preferable. XP uses the NTFS file system which is more stable and has fewer memory leaks than FAT32 which is what Win ME uses. If I were you I would definately format.

Quote:

2) If #1 is correct then how big of a hassle is it to reformat you HD... I have alot of stuff on my CPU I hate to lose but with the current state of my ME (crashing 24/7) I am afraid it will take me 3 weeks to backup everything using my CDR drive...

It's not a hassle at all to format although backing up your information can be a hassle indeed.

Quote:

3) Do you all find that XP is that much more stable than ME/98? (seems that everyone agrees this one is true on the internet)

Actually, it isn't that much more stable. However, when it does f up it is much easier to restore than previous versions.
astralhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:33 PM   #3
Craptacular
College Starter

Do you have (or are you willing to get) a second hard drive?? That would eliminate the need to make CDR backups.

You DEFINITELY want to start off with a clean install of XP (do not upgrade).

If you are in school, many of them have deals with Microsoft to get the OS for much less ... my wife got XP Pro for $25.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:35 PM   #4
astralhaze
College Prospect

You can do a clean install of XP with the upgrade cd btw. You just need the ME disk for like 2 seconds.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:19 PM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I agree with everyone on doing a clean install.

I personally think XP is much better than previous Windows versions. Other than some annoying things like forcing Windows messenger on you(without an obvious unistall path) and the bubbly AOL esque features it is well worth it.

As for the price, this site offers it from as low as $90(2nd page).
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:39 PM   #6
BigDPW
College Prospect

Thanks for the input guys...

Anymore opinions???
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:41 PM   #7
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Same as most of the above. Upgrade to XP Pro (not Home Edition) and do a clean install.

Tarkus
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote