Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-10-2003, 05:02 PM   #1
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Do people just hate those with money?

Okay, tons of people hate the New York Yankees because they spend and win!

Tons of people hate the New York Rangers because they spend and lose!

Tons of people hate Bill Gates because it's just obsene to be that rich!

Do people just hate people with a ton of money because they don't have any? To this day I don't understand why you would hate a team simply for playing within the rules. Okay, so maybe Microsoft didn't always play within the rules, but the Yankees and Rangers do. And I could probably find a lot more examples of hated rich people who are hated simply because they are rich.

Is this like women hating beautiful women just because they are beautiful? Do people just hate those that have what they don't have or can't get? Sure seems that way to me.

Tarkus

Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:08 PM   #2
Iceberg
H.S. Freshman Team

In general it is just jealousy. Most people would love to have all that money but b/c they dont they choose to hate those who do. However there are very justified reasons for hating Gates and the Yankees.
Iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:17 PM   #3
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Actually, I don't hate the teams much as I dislike the fans. But that's because you're teams actually spend and win (and have the ability to do so). You are lucky to have a team that is so dedicated to winning, even if they are the dark side. At least your team spends and wins, how bout all the teams that spend and lose, guh.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:23 PM   #4
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

I just get sick of seeing the same team win year in and year out. Unless it is a hometown team, then it is cool.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:42 PM   #5
ACStrider
High School JV

I'm a bit of a hockey fan, and since I grew up in Dallas, I'm a Stars, Rangers, Mavs, Cowboys fan. I remember when the Stars snagged Hull from the Blues, the big cry was that the Stars were a big money team and the only reason they were good was because they threw money out there. Sound familiar? I'm not really into baseball. It completely lost my interest after this past season. In my opinion, the players, management, and commishoner staff have all lost touch with the fan base. I hear the stories about the Yankees making another mega deal with a superstar and I have to roll my eyes. This isn't because I hate the Yankees per se, but that the whole system stinks. The fact that some team can have a disproportionately large payroll kills what little interest that I have in baseball, a game I used to love.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:46 PM   #6
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ACStrider
IThe fact that some team can have a disproportionately large payroll kills what little interest that I have in baseball, a game I used to love.

I still love the game of baseball, I just hate MLB.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 05:47 PM   #7
astralhaze
College Prospect

*cough cough* Oakland A's *cough cough*
Old 02-10-2003, 06:05 PM   #8
RoyalTen
n00b

I dont hate the Yankees bc they have money, i basicaly hate them bc i grew up in Maspeth, Queens and i'm a diehard Met fan. I agree that the Yankees play within the rules, so its not their fault, it just really irritates me that they can spend at whatever cost. Its MLB thats the problem, it really is sad how the greatest game on earth is going up in flames.
RoyalTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:08 PM   #9
ACStrider
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
I still love the game of baseball, I just hate MLB.

Good point...I guess that's a better way of putting it.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:15 PM   #10
Leonidas
College Benchwarmer

I don't begrudge the Yakees their money. What ticks me off are gutless bandwagon fans who act special because they wouldn't know how to root for a real team that were born and raised with. Funny, but there sure are a lot of Yankee fans not from NY, a whole lot of Laker fans who've never even been to LA, and when times are good, a bunch of Cowboy fans who have never been to Texas. Gee, where are all those lifelong Cowboy fans today? Oh right, waiting for the Tuna to turn it around so they can brag how they rooted for Dallas all their lives, or at least since Tampa got good.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:18 PM   #11
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
*cough cough* Oakland A's *cough cough*
*cough cough*nice-team-that-wont-be-able-to-keep-it-together-much-longer*cough cough*

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:39 PM   #12
astralhaze
College Prospect

How do you figure? Mulder, Zito, and Hudson are all signed long term and they have plenty of young pitching on the way up. Chavez is signed through next season, Durazo isn't even eligible for free agency yet. They will lose Tejada after this season but have several middle infield prospects on the way up. Not to mention the fact that Billy Beane is bar none the best GM in the business and I think they will be just fine for the forseable future.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:51 PM   #13
Tarkus
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Leonidas
I don't begrudge the Yakees their money. What ticks me off are gutless bandwagon fans who act special because they wouldn't know how to root for a real team that were born and raised with. Funny, but there sure are a lot of Yankee fans not from NY, a whole lot of Laker fans who've never even been to LA, and when times are good, a bunch of Cowboy fans who have never been to Texas. Gee, where are all those lifelong Cowboy fans today? Oh right, waiting for the Tuna to turn it around so they can brag how they rooted for Dallas all their lives, or at least since Tampa got good.

Well, I agree with you there. I was born and raised in New York a long time ago and ever since I was a little kid I rooted for the Yankees, Jets, Knicks, and Rangers. I rooted for the Yanks when they were great, when they sucked in the mid to sixties into the seventies, and then when they became good again. I haven't changed allegiences even though I haven't lived in NY for many years. I have and always will root for those teams regardless of where I am.

It's important to note however, that it's not just with the Yankees. Prior to Michael Jordan winning all those championships half the country had never heard of the Bulls. All of sudden, everywhere you go there are Bulls fans. I guess most people just have to root for a winner, which I guess is just another damning commentary on our society.

Tarkus
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 08:56 PM   #14
bbor
Pro Starter

It would'nt bother me so much if I was the rich one

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote