Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2003, 12:10 PM   #1
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Thumbs down NBA Going to 7 Game Series for 1st Round as Well

Great, now even less of a chance for a lower seed to pull an early round shocker in the NBA Playoffs.

Weren't the Playoffs long enough as it was?

MylesKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:11 PM   #2
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

BOO!
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:14 PM   #3
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

From ESPN.com...

"ATLANTA -- The NBA players' association and the league have agreed to expand the first round of the playoffs to a best-of-7 format starting this season, ESPN Insider's Chad Ford reported Saturday.

The players' association officially approved the change in format early Saturday. The league will make the official announcement tonight at a news conference in Atlanta.

Until this season, the first round of the NBA playoffs had been a best-of-5 format."

Last edited by MylesKnight : 02-08-2003 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:14 PM   #4
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Qwikshot
BOO!

Agreed, BOO!

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:14 PM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I prefer 3/5/7/7.

NBA is all about the money. Going to be hard explaining to some players how the salary cap is going down AGAIN this year yet alot of people have to play 2 more games.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:15 PM   #6
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Unhappy

Maybe the league is trying to give the Lakers every chance possible at another Title..

Hmmm..
Old 02-08-2003, 12:15 PM   #7
Jets80
High School Varsity

Great, now the NBA playoffs will last till August.
Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:22 PM   #8
JeeberD
General Manager

There's no reason for this. Except that the NBA wants some more revenue that the extra first round games will generate. But it sucks for fans and lower seeded teams.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:50 PM   #9
FBPro
College Starter

Now we can just have a non-stop NBA season, maybe they'll have a week off after the finals in October.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 01:25 PM   #10
oykib
College Starter

What a stupid change.
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 01:33 PM   #11
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

This is going to hurt the NHL too. More playoffs for the NBA means that they have to go head-to-head for more of the NHL's playoffs.
Old 02-08-2003, 01:35 PM   #12
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

It seems as if the NBA, NHL and MLB are doing everything they possibly can to make their seasons last for as much of the 12 Month Calendar Year as humanly possible.

Give it a break.... More is not necessarily better, a lesson this sports entities obviously have a heckuva time figuring out.

The NFL and College Football & Basketball have it right..

Last edited by MylesKnight : 02-08-2003 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:08 PM   #13
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Suggestion for the NBA gurus :
how's about an 8 game regular season, and then 8 rounds of playoff with best of 21 series ?

That'd be fun, wouldn't it ???
Duh.....................
Old 02-08-2003, 02:20 PM   #14
mckerney
Coordinator

Woohoo! Now the Timberwolves will get to play FOUR playoff games!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 02:23 PM   #15
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Don't say that mckerney... This is the Year the T'wolves finally get out of Round 1.. This time I promise..
Old 02-08-2003, 03:51 PM   #16
mckerney
Coordinator

Maybe.

Hey, Terrell Brandon could be ready to play by then.

And they might be able to pull of that Felipe Lopez for Brian Grant trade.

Oh, what not having a first round pick for 3 years can do to you. But at least we have Joe Smith back.

It could have helped if they were against the Lakers last year. I remember everyone in the local media was saying how lucky they were that they got the Mavs out of the 3 potential teams they could have gone against. Lucky to play the Mavs? The Wolves had blown out LA by about 20 twice last year, and they were lucky to go against the best offense in the league? Something didn't seem right about that, and low and behold they get swept.

Oh well, basketball wise at least we have the Gophers up here. Hey, they didn't blow their lead in the 2nd half to Purdue today, that's a start.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:48 AM   #17
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

This sounds like a fishy Lakers-based rule. Why make the change midseason?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:04 AM   #18
Vince
Pro Starter

I'm confused as to why they would change the format during the middle of the season...but I think it is a good change. I happen to like basketball, though I'd hardly call myself a die-hard fan, and I think this gives a better opportunity for a solid series. I think a best of seven series is a much better indicator of which team is better than a five game series.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 04:20 AM   #19
ACStrider
High School JV

I'd agree with those who have said so to this point...it's an idiotic change. Do you think Mutombo and the Nuggets could have upset Seattle (I believe it was...could be wrong on that one) in a seven game series? I like the fact that teams can pull a shocker off if they rise to the occasion in the first round. Making it seven games makes it that much harder.

Maybe I could start another direction of this thread...if the problem is revenues, how should the league go to addressing the problem? I have one possible solution...what do you think about making contracts instead of salaries and bonuses, making them team shares. For example, Player A gets 1% of total team profit for four years. Player B gets .4%, and so on, and so on. It would force players to be somewhat sympathetic to the manager's perspective and give them incentive to succeed wherever they might happen to be. In addition, I think that fines should be done as a percentage of salary and not by set prices. A $5,000 fine by a scrub is a big deal but to a star player with a big salary, it's a drop in the bucket. Imagine if you knew that making physical contack with a ref will result in a 10% salary fine. To the guy who has a multi-million dollar contract, that's a substantial loss. To the bench warmer signed off waivers, it's still a big loss but it's proportionate. One final note...what do you think about the idea that if a flagrant foul/intentional foul is deemed intended to harm is made against someone, and the player who is fouled is injured, that the player who commits the foul be suspended for the duration of the injury? Just a few thoughts that have been rolling in my head.
Old 02-09-2003, 09:11 AM   #20
cmp
Pro Rookie

Wow. Two more games, no big deal. I believe the players can handle playing an extra two games in the playoffs.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 12:23 PM   #21
ACStrider
High School JV

I think the problem comes in that in between each game you have at least one day break. This translates to another 4/5 days to the already long season. There are 82 games in a season, then a possible 19 additional playoff games. It just reminds me of what my grandfather who served in the army said when he was asked about his service. He said that if he had the choice of serving one more day and receiving army pay for the rest of his life or not serving, he wouldn't serve any additional time in a hearbeat. I think the same principle applies here. Atheletes don't mind (and most enjoy) playing their game, but if the option of a half-week or rest at the end of the season is there, I guarantee you that they would take up the offer.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:51 PM   #22
Blackadar
Retired

The NBA season is too long. This just makes a dull game even longer and duller.

It's no longer faaaantastic
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 10:53 PM   #23
Craptacular
College Starter

What they really need to do is expand the number of teams that make the playoffs. It's so hard for a good team to make it as it stands now.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 06:26 AM   #24
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
What they really need to do is expand the number of teams that make the playoffs. It's so hard for a good team to make it as it stands now.

Sarcasm is lost on the Internet.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 07:08 AM   #25
cincyreds
High School Varsity

just a little more pocket change for the players and the league that is all there is to it.
Old 02-10-2003, 11:20 AM   #26
ACStrider
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by Blackadar
The NBA season is too long. This just makes a dull game even longer and duller.

Unlike Baseball...
Old 02-10-2003, 01:22 PM   #27
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular

I know, the Griz have been so deserving these past few years. The NBA makes the old MLB fomat of only Divisional Champions getting Postseason invites, look like a piece of cake..

Let's call this new rule "The Laker Rule"...

Now, this is what's coming next..

"Kings Beat Lakers 4 Games to 2, Afterward NBA Announces Plan for Best of Nine Series to Take Place Immediately. Kings/Lakers Game 7 Tuesday."

...and then after Kings Win Next Game..

"Kings Beat Lakers 5 Games to 2, Afterward NBA Announces Plan for Best of Eleven Series to Take Place Immediately. Kings/Lakers Game 8 Thursday."

...and so on and so on...

Last edited by MylesKnight : 02-10-2003 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:24 PM   #28
rkmsuf
Head Coach

If they played 20 games and went to the playoffs I'd support this. In the current environment it should be 3-5-7-7.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:45 PM   #29
heybrad
Norm!!!

OK, I've held out on this as long as I can. Someone want to explain to me how this is designed to help the Lakers. The way I see it, this is designed to help the better team, which according to the standings, is not the Lakers this year. That said, do you think the Kings, Mavericks, Spurs or anyone for that matter, want to meet the Lakers in a five game series?

If you feel the league makes rules to benefit the Lakers, what about the zone defense rule. Lets see, Shaq has to be guarded one and one... lets change that so that three guys can drape themselves all over him, regardless of where the ball is.

I've battled Laker bashing on this board for a long time, but I'm really starting to think if they came up with a rule stating that the Lakers were only allowed to play 4 players, the comments would start with, "There goes the league, helping the Lakers again. Now they can rest more guys on their bench."

For the record, I think its an unnecessary rule change. I just dont see how this rule benefits the Lakers.

Last edited by heybrad : 02-10-2003 at 01:46 PM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2003, 01:51 PM   #30
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
hey, brad
Old 02-10-2003, 01:58 PM   #31
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Brad, at the end of the day the NBA Higher-Ups would "prefer" to see the Los Angeles Lakers in the 2003 NBA Finals. I'm not saying the league is rigged, but the NBA does have its preferences, that's for sure.

I think this new adjustment, taking place at this particular time, only enhances the Lakers chances of getting out of Round 1.

Last edited by MylesKnight : 02-10-2003 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:00 PM   #32
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
I think this new adjustment, taking place at this particular time, only inhances the Lakers chances of getting out of Round 1.

If they are playing crappy I'm not sure 2 games makes much difference. If anything the Lakers would prefer a shorter series and 'turn it up' in the crunch time of the conference finals and finals.

This is purely tv and revenue driven.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:02 PM   #33
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Oh I agree rkmsuf, I just find it a bit fishy this takes place in a year where the umpteenth time Defending Champions are struggling and more than likely will end up without Home Court Advantage even in the First Round.

I may be totally off the ball here, but I think it needs to be said..
Old 02-10-2003, 02:03 PM   #34
heybrad
Norm!!!

I understand Myles. I think the NBA wants the biggest markets possible. I also think that if the Lakers advance far into the playoffs or even win the whole thing again this year, it will really show what a sad state the league is in. They've basically taken the year off to this point.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:05 PM   #35
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rkmsuf
This is purely tv and revenue driven.

I think this quote sums it up perfectly.
Old 02-10-2003, 04:05 PM   #36
mckerney
Coordinator

hey brad