Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-08-2003, 09:45 AM   #1
Jets80
High School Varsity

McDonalds thanks for my crappy breakfeast

Just wanted to say thanks to those stupid minimum wage making, cant even speak english yet their american, no asspiration having, lazy ass, high school drop out burger flipping mother F'ers at Mcdonalds for screwing up my order once again.

Ordered:steak egg and chees bagel combo with a sweet tea

Recieved: steak bagel (no egg no cheese) with a coke.

I just dont understand this. How hard can it be. Isn't Mcdonalds motto that they "Love to make you Smile" well i wasn't smiling when i got home this morning with no egg, cheese or drink. I was rather pissed and its just not worth my time to drive back to the place and have them fix it so i just had to eat it and be mad.

People always joke around about the sterotype of working at a fast food place.."cant count change" "stupid" ect.... But its so sad that it is all true and not just at McD's.. you go to Burger King, Wendy's any place and its all the same. And il lbe honest with you, sometimes I think the screw up an order for spite.

Its really sad when i pull up to the window and see a person who is so lazy and hates their job (or just work in general) so much that they seem to hate me for comming there and make me feel like I am an inconvienence to them becasue I ask them for some ketchup.

If anyone on this board work's at a fast food place my advise to you is stay in school.

Jets80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:49 AM   #2
ice4277
Pro Rookie

I would probably screw up once in a while if I had to do the same thing a couple hundred times a day. Mistakes happen, you can't tell me you've never made one.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:55 AM   #3
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

THis is why I always check my order before I leave. I loved the time my wife asked for a double cheese burger with only ketchup. She got a bun with ketchup on it.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:56 AM   #4
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

I know you are typing under anger, but can you correct the grammar and spelling mistakes?

Secondly, this happens at fast food places. The majority of the workers are being paid minimum wage, they aren't interested in hopping up the executive ladder, so deal with it when you go to a fast food place.

Third, always, /always/, check your order...people make mistakes, point it out, write a complaint letter to McDonald's, email a complaint to their website, call up the McDonald's you went to and complain to the manager, chances are you'll get free coupons or something to mollify your disatisfaction.

Finally, did I mention check your order (okay), finally, understand that most of the people working at these places have lives, and have feelings, don't generalize who they are or why they are working for a fast food place. One day, you might have to work at a place like that...just take a deep breath, and understand that sometimes things like this happen.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:07 AM   #5
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

I say shoot them, if that doesn't work, kill them..next time they won't screw your order up. Gotta teach them a lesson, so maybe killing their children, families, friends instead of them would help because if you kill them they can't improve...so ya, kill their friends and family and order without worrying ever again.

Last edited by The Afoci : 02-08-2003 at 10:08 AM.
The Afoci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:08 AM   #6
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by The Afoci
I say shoot them, if that doesn't work, kill them..next time they won't screw your order up. Gotta teach them a lesson, so maybe killing their children, families, friends instead of them would help because if you kill them they can't improve...so ya, kill their friends and family and order without worrying ever again.

Wonderful sage advice
Old 02-08-2003, 10:09 AM   #7
RawIsDan
High School JV

Orders get screwed from time to time..relax. Like it was stated above, ALWAYS check your order before you pull away.

Another thing to note, be nice on the speaker to the individuals taking your order. While I worked at BK during school, people that were rude, or thought as you did often got a little "special" seasoning to their food.

BTW, Whataburgers new Taquitos breakfest burritos rock !

Last edited by RawIsDan : 02-08-2003 at 01:03 PM.
RawIsDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:12 AM   #8
Jets80
High School Varsity

Please hold the "special seasoning"
Old 02-08-2003, 10:21 AM   #9
MJ4H
Coordinator

i ordered a TRIPLE CHEESEBURGER (yes thats right, THE BEAST) from wendys last night and asked for it plain, cheese only. got home and it had the works on it, lettuce, tomato, mayonaisse you name it. i ate it anyway and liked it better. strange. moral?

WENDYS TRIPLE CHEESEBURGERS RULE NO MATTER WHAT

except ive had to "have a little chat with dave thomas" about every half hour since then.

euphemisms rule too
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:27 AM   #10
Swaggs
Coordinator

One time I went to Wendy's w/ a friend and we each ordered a burger and fries and when we got back to my house to eat, we realized that they had given us 6 sandwiches!

These things even out over time.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:29 AM   #11
Craptacular
College Starter

My orders get screwed up all the time ... I guess that's what happens when you order a Wendy's 99 cent double-stack (cheese)burger without the cheese.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 10:36 AM   #12
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Swaggs
One time I went to Wendy's w/ a friend and we each ordered a burger and fries and when we got back to my house to eat, we realized that they had given us 6 sandwiches!

These things even out over time.

True. One night, right near closing, I order two cheeseburgers...they told me I had to wait, I was nice, and said no prob. They gave the burgers to me, I checked that I had burgers and drove home...got home, and they had given each burger six or seven patties each!!! That's a beast...needless to say I couldn't complete it...but it was good.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:39 AM   #13
ShovelMonkey
H.S. Freshman Team

They fuck you at the drive through...
Old 02-08-2003, 11:11 AM   #14
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Can't say I've ever been fucked at the drive through...I usually wait until after I eat
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:18 AM   #15
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Jets80: Building bridges of love on FOFC since 2002.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:25 AM   #16
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by ShovelMonkey
They fuck you at the drive through...

Damn you....you beat me to it

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:27 AM   #17
Upstate J
n00b

This would not have been a problem if you would have ordered a "Breakfast Burritto" like everyone else.
Upstate J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:41 AM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

McDonald's sucks. Only good thing there are their fries and Filet-O-Fish. Burger King and Wendy's kick Mickey D's ass.

And on another note, I worked fast food for many year during high school and my early college years (before I found out that even as a lowely waiter I could make WAY more money than as a fast food assistant manager). Trust me, mistakes can be made. This is due to the fact that people demand that they have their food FAST. When I worked for Wendy's we aimed to have people's food out to them less than 90 seconds after they pulled up to the speaker. If we took extra time to double and triple check each order, people would have been very upset about the amount of time they had to wait for the food. However, I think that we had a pretty good rate of getting people their food properly, probably 90-95%. And if we did screw up and people called back, we had no problem writing down their name and what they had and next time they came through giving it to them for free.

Also, you gotta realize that most of the workers are 16 or 17 year old kids who have a hard time keeping their mind on their work when they can be socializing/talking/flirting with their co-workers...

Anywho, just have a little patience. Double check your order (but pull forward before you do it, nothing sucks worse than someone sitting there and killing your drive-thru times) and if you find something wrong, just call back. They'll be more than happy to accommodate you.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 11:45 AM   #19
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

McDonald's shamrock shake needs some attention too!

For breakfast I only go to BK. Crossiant(sp) thingies are good. The people who work at 6am during the week usually arent 16 so you at least have a chance of getting napkins.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:17 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Re: McDonalds thanks for my crappy breakfeast

I feel your pain Jets, I really do.

It's as though certain franchises / franchisees actually work to find the lowest I.Q. wasteoids possible and then hire them. The poster children for retroactive abortions are like their favorite hires.

But it doesn't have to be that way.

Chik-Fil-A proves that on a regular basis, how they screen their employees so well is beyond me (and I've asked more than once) but they're the model more companies (fast food and otherwise) should follow.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:20 PM   #21
Jets80
High School Varsity

I have to give credit where credit is do.....

Chik-Fil-A has got their act together.

And i dont mine paying a little extra for good service and quilty food.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:24 PM   #22
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'm with Boss on this one...

I can eat those Croissant sandwiches every morning. Good stuff!

Neuqua
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:47 PM   #23
bbor
Pro Starter

Harvey's...which i don't think ya have in the states...amkes the BEST burger...i think they even use real meat!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:49 PM   #24
JeeberD
General Manager

How are those Tim Horton's places? All I know about them is that they're owned by Wendy's. ANy good?

Old 02-08-2003, 12:50 PM   #25
Jets80
High School Varsity

We got Hardees......and its crap.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:51 PM   #26
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Jets80
I have to give credit where credit is do.....

Chik-Fil-A has got their act together.

And i dont mine paying a little extra for good service and quilty food.

Just don't desire any waffle fries on a Sunday.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 12:51 PM   #27
Jets80
High School Varsity

bbor ... what are the people like that work in fast food places in Canada ?
Old 02-08-2003, 12:51 PM   #28
JeeberD
General Manager

Thank god we don't have Hardee's in Texas. I haven't been to one since I was somewhere in the midwest about seven years ago and desperate for food. Needless to say, no bueno.

Old 02-08-2003, 01:25 PM   #29
TLK
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Jets80
We got Hardees......and its crap.

The Monster Burger from Hardees is the single greatest thing to eat while drunk. I know it's helped me on more than one night.

TLK
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 01:28 PM   #30
JeeberD
General Manager

Whataburger Taquitos are the best drunk food, hands down...

Old 02-08-2003, 01:38 PM   #31
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by stkelly52

THis is why I always check my order before I leave. I loved the time my wife asked for a double cheese burger with only ketchup. She got a bun with ketchup on it.

That sounds just like the time I visited Taco Bell and asked for a couple of tacos with only Cheese and Tomatoes... Well that's what I got alright, Cheese & Tomatoes only..

Classic!!
Old 02-08-2003, 02:02 PM   #32
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally posted by lynchjm24
Just don't desire any waffle fries on a Sunday.

I really wonder if that doesn't have something to do with employee quality. Not the religious aspect, but the "personal before business" approach. I know Truman Cathy still goes into the stores and quite often does the interviewing even for fry cooks. A company that cares for their employees, that would never work.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 02:04 PM   #33
Kodos
Resident Alien

Where's the love for the Egg McMuffin. Every morning that I'm running late, it's Egg McMuffin time. And I run late a lot!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 02:31 PM   #34
ctmason
High School JV

I think you need to find something better to worry about, Jets.

It's amazing that you're able to decide who has asspirations (sic) and what their personality is just because of where they work.

To GrantDawg, I understand what you're trying to say, but that's not completely accurate. Truett Cathy very rarely has anything to do with Chick-fil-A anymore, and has actually been in poor health recently. He works now mostly with his charitable work when he is feeling up to it.

His sons run Chick-fil-A, for the most part. My boss is good friends with them and we have worked for them in the past.

And yes, Egg McMuffins are great!
ctmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 03:03 PM   #35
Buddy Grant
High School JV

Cool

Lesson in the obvious: Fast food employee is near the bottom rung on the job scale. The reason these are often not the brightest employees or people who do not speak english well is because most good employees who can speak english will get better jobs elsewhere. If you do not want to deal with poor employees you will improve your chances tremendously by not going to the cheapest food place available since "better jobs" include fast food jobs at places that pay more than McDicks. Of course, that requires you to spend some more money so the choice is yours.

Bonus tip for AWNF's (assholes with no forethought): If you treat bottom rung on the job scale employees with some consideration you also greatly increase the odds of them not spitting or urinating in your vanilla shake.
Buddy Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 03:09 PM   #36
korme
Go Reds

WENDYS RULES. McDONALDS SUCKS.

JBC is the way to go. 2 of em. With extra mayonaise. And less lettuce. And more bacon. And no tomato. YEAAHHH.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 03:11 PM   #37
JeeberD
General Manager

Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich with extra mayo and cheese....

Old 02-08-2003, 04:01 PM   #38
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

You have the JBC's right Shorty. 2 of em, an order of chili and a frosty.

I hate their fries though, taste like sand to me.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 04:07 PM   #39
astralhaze
College Prospect

If you worked at McDonalds, would you be happy and work as hard as you could?
Old 02-08-2003, 05:20 PM   #40
Drake
assmaster

Buddy is exactly right here. You get what you pay for both as a consumer and as an employer. McDonald's would attract better workers if they paid a living wage.

Personally, I believe that everyone who owns a fast food restaurant will burn in hell.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 05:39 PM   #41
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

[in response to the orignal post]

Granted, there are a lot of people who work in fast food with the IQ at or below that of a waffle iron, but this is what the marked demanded. Think about it- unless you're a poor, starving college student or high school student working to make some cash (I did my time at retail rather than fast food but it's the same idea) and you are working at Mickey D's to support your family there is a reason for it. You had a choice to go eat at a fast food place or go pay 3x-10x as much and go eat at a restaurant where you get better food and they would mess up your order about 1/100th of the time they do at fast food (I'm still allowing for human fallability no matter how much a person makes- stuff just happens sometimes).

One of the jobs I had in high school was selling electronics at Office Max. My training consisted of "hey, do you know something about computers?" and the response "yes" along with "if you have any questions, try to ask the other electronics guy". I tried to learn as much as I could because I didn't want to look like a boob, but when someone would get indignant towards me because I didn't know the exact per sheet cost of multipurpose fax machine A and the subsequent costs of printer B and fax machine C, I had to chalk it up to the fact that I got paid $6 an hour. It's not as if I were going to go home, look it up on the internet, call the manufacturer long distance or any other number of ways I could solve the problem for this on my own nickel (yes, this was back when AOL costs were by the hour), not getting paid for a guy who would never come back to our store because he longingly remembers the days when everything was done over the phone or mail and stores had actual salespersons in there who knew everything about every product. Nor does this guy realize that if we had all of that, he would have to pay 4x as much for it.

It's simple ecnomics- you want great service, go pay for it. If not, you're stuck like the rest of us, paying lower costs but for crappier service where we play idiot roulette and some days it just comes up double-0's.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:12 PM   #42
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

I guess work ethic is an old fashioned value, like everything else these days. Fwiw, I was paid $2.25 an hour in HS working at a drug store for a really tyrannical boss. I did everything he told me told do because 1) I was supposed to, he was the one paying me and 2) I didn't know any better and 3) I didn't want to lose my job, which were hard to find at the time. BTW, I did make mistakes then, just as I still do now, but I usually blame myself for them and not make excuses.

Last edited by Anrhydeddu : 02-08-2003 at 06:14 PM.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 06:21 PM   #43
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

It's not a matter of work ethic, I don't think.

In my case, whenever I was on the job, I was busting my arse to help customers, if for no other reason than to avoid looking ignorant. That said, they were paying $6 an hour so they aren't going to get the best trained, most qualified people for the job. You end with someone who can do the job adequitely (for instance, anyone needed computer help for any reason, I was the man- fax machines were a whole other ball of wax) but there is no way, say, a Hewlett Packard Engineer would leave his job where he was making 10x as much to sell copiers and computers at a retail store. He would do a better job, but he would never do *that* job. Say all you want about work ethic but no matter how much pride you have in your work, you can still only do so much in a job like that which should require more training but doesn't have it.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 09:58 PM   #44
bbor
Pro Starter

Jeeber.....Tim Hortons has excellent coffee...Donuts are better at Krispy Kreme though.

Jets....Fast food servers in Canada are about the same as in the states....they are usually young...paid shittily....and usually don't stay long enough at the job to learn it properly.

Old 02-08-2003, 10:17 PM   #45
mrskippy
Banned

I've had orders screwed up like this and didn't want to drive back. What I do is call the restaurant back and tell them what happened. Many times they'll put your name on a list and when you come back you can claim the meal for free.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 01:53 AM   #46
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by mrskippy
I've had orders screwed up like this and didn't want to drive back. What I do is call the restaurant back and tell them what happened. Many times they'll put your name on a list and when you come back you can claim the meal for free.

Just FWIW, I've had mixed results from calling the restaurant. Remember, the same mgmt you're talking to likely hired the same person who screwed up in the first place.

I've got a pretty standard routine when it comes to these places.

1) Mistakes happen, not a problem. I check my order & ask that the error be corrected. Basically, all I'm looking for at this point is somebody to give a shit long enough to get it right the second time around. I won't be an ass about it until you show me that you really don't give a fuck.

2) If that fails, ask for highest mgmt person in the building & repeat the process. Here's a third chance to get it right, fix the problem & give me some indication (even if you're faking it) that you'll address the attitudinal or procedural problems in the very immediate future.

3) If that fails, most places answer to some higher authority somewhere. They get a phone call by the next business day, either to a franchisee office or corporate district or regional mgr (depending on how the chain is set-up this can vary). By now, I'm pissed and I'm looking for somebody's head on a plate or at least be pretty sure that somebody's got an ass chewing in their immediate future.

By the time you reach step three, you're in that usually positive area where it's easier to make you happy than it is to deal with your unhappiness. I'm rarely interested in any direct compensation (refund, free food, whatever), I just want to accomplish two things: a) make the most responsible person I can reach aware that there are shortcomings under their supervision that need to be addressed and b) do everything I can to make sure that, if I find myself in that restaurant again, I don't go through the same experience.

Over the past 20 years, I've talked to more region/district people than I could begin to count. I know of at least a half dozen cases where it led directly to terminations, including 3 store managers. In that trio, one of the locations was closed entirely within 60 days, the other two underwent major staff revisions under the new mgmt and showed dramatic improvement in customer service.
I work with a pretty straightforward idea with restaurants, fast food or any other: Don't fuck up my meal & it's all good. Fuck up my meal, just fix it & it'll be alright. But if you disrupt my life beyond that, I'm quite willing to invest a good bit of time & energy into fucking yours even harder.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 02-09-2003 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:56 AM   #47
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
I guess work ethic is an old fashioned value, like everything else these days.

You and I don't seem to agree very often, but when we do, it's apparently a doozy.

You've posted one of the great understatements of all time right there.

I don't think it's an old fasioned value, I think it's more like a dying art.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:37 AM   #48
Dutch
"Dutch"

Fast Food restaraunts are one of the biggest blunders of the USA. Family owned restaraunts have always and will always be better places to get food, service, and even (gasp) atmosphere.

Forget anyplace that features a bunch of "workers" that don't shower, wash their clothes, and spit on your food.

And as you all guessed, I am not an apologist for lousy and unsanitary service from any minimum wage worker. If you can't be highly successful working a minimum wage job, you can't make it anywhere.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 12:36 PM   #49
Easy Mac

I tried to get a job at Wendy's in high school. When I went back a month later, they told me I was too qualified for the job. Really surprised me that they wanted someone less qualified to flip burgers.

And being someone who orders burgers plain (not a condiments guy, give me the straight soy-occasionally meat burgers), I normally get my orders screwed up.

I even went to Ruby Tuesdays, they got the wrong order, went in the back and scraped the mustard, mayo, cheese and ketchup off my burger and brought it to me as new. No resteraunt is w/o problems
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2003, 07:26 PM   #50
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

It is really a shame that the excuse, "they only make $6 per hour" is being accepted. Look, if you accept employment, no matter what the wage, you do your best.

The managers are to blame for this. The shouldn't settle for the lazy lackwit only giving 10%.

Obviously, the McDonalds of the world figure it is cheaper to give the occasional somebody an extra order if it is screwed up than pay these folks any money. I say occasional, but i am convinced that there are less injuries in the entire league in a season of FOF4 than mistakes in 1 hour of any given McDonalds drive-thru.

(real-life rearing its ugly head now) I always order simple. 2 Cheeseburgers or something like this. If you want a special order FORGET ABOUT IT. You are rolling the dice and the odds are heavy in the House's favour. If you keep it simple, you increase your odds of getting the right order.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote