Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-16-2006, 11:33 AM   #1
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Alright Boyz!! Madden 07 impressions thread!!!

Yeah, it's not out until midnight next Monday.. but I've read over at MM that there is no fatigue in both online and offline games in Madden.

If this is true and cannot be fixed, I'll cancel my pre-order in a minute. Imagine your HB running an 80 yarder, next play he still has full fatigue. Gamekiller for me.

I hope it's not true, oh boy do I. For that to get past testing would be unreal.

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #2
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Whoa, why the hell would they take out fatigue in offline games? Why even bother having a full roster? Just carry two running backs in case one gets injured. Good grief. I'm cancelling my pre-order if this is true, too.

As cliche as this question sounds, I do wonder one thing: Is this a bug or a "feature"?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #3
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Son of a B!!

Another issue: (from sdrotar over at OS)

Quote:
I've been playing the final retail version of Madden NFL 07 for the Xbox 360, and was trying out the new Superstar mode. To my surprise, only three weeks into my season, Hall of Famers started appearing on other teams' rosters.

Sammy Baugh was the Bucs' QB, Paul Warfield was starting opposite Hines Ward in Pittsburgh, and Chuck Bednarik was holding down an outside linebacker spot for the Patriots. Playing more games results in ever more Hall of Famers returning to the league from retirement or beyond the grave.

As I asked the EA Tiburon reps directly if HOFers would/could ever appear in a current Superstar/Franchise mode, and was told directly that they would not (and I stated so in my Community Day thread based on the information I was given), I was surprised to say the least that this was happening.

I spent much of the day doing research into why it's happening, and here's what I've determined thus far:

As best as I can tell, HOFers are tied into the overarching Madden Gamer Level. Even if you delete your roster files and start fresh, the HOFers you've unlocked due to the "MGL" will be instantly re-populated within the roster file as soon as your profile is loaded.

This means that they're in Franchise mode, too. I had 16 of them sitting in my Free Agents list when starting a Franchise with default rosters.

Theoretically, you might be able to avoid this if you didn't use the "MGL", however, that would also mean you could make no settings changes whatsoever and save them - they're all tied into the "Profile", which apparently includes all settings plus the "MGL".

On top of that, if you accomplished enough within the game, you might earn enough points to add HOFers instantly, meaning that if you just played a game and saved it, the newly-added HOFers would be saved into your Franchise roster.

I've contacted EA Tiburon regarding this discrepancy from what I was told at the studio (which was what I reported as fact, as did IGN and other media outlets) and what I am seeing now, and I've been told that I will receive a statement and/or workaround tomorrow sometime in the morning from the Madden team.

I will, of course, keep you apprised in this thread.

C'mon EA, wtf is happening with your testing crew??
Old 08-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
jbmagic
Pro Starter

That damn fatigue bug was in Madden 2006 too.

It was also in the sims games too. That why the Stats was way off for RB, etc
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 AM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Happy Madden Holiday suckers!
Old 08-16-2006, 11:46 AM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Off to a promising start!
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I probably won't cancel my preorder (I only put $5 on it), but I think I might not buy the game immediately. I like the manager there, and I don't want to mess with his preorder numbers, so unless something miraculous happens, I'll just let them sell my copy to someone else after 48 hours, and I'll use the $5 on some other game.

gg ea
Old 08-16-2006, 11:57 AM   #8
KWhit
Coordinator

EA sucks balls.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another August......another disappointing Madden release in the works. I stopped buying the game 4 years ago. Just got tired of the bugs and lackluster game play. Good to see EA intends on putting out the same type of product this year.......
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:59 AM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan
Another August......another disappointing Madden release in the works. I stopped buying the game 4 years ago. Just got tired of the bugs and lackluster game play. Good to see EA intends on putting out the same type of product this year.......

people buy the thing like hotcakes anyway
Old 08-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #11
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I probably won't cancel my preorder (I only put $5 on it), but I think I might not buy the game immediately. I like the manager there, and I don't want to mess with his preorder numbers, so unless something miraculous happens, I'll just let them sell my copy to someone else after 48 hours, and I'll use the $5 on some other game.

gg ea

It's Madden. Your preorder is insignificant.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:04 PM   #12
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015

all the cool kids preorder
Old 08-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #13
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Seems like some are already getting the game, so we'll soon see if any of this is true.. and if so (I believe sdrotar) is there a workaround or do we just have to live with it. If it can't be fixed, no biggie.. I'll move on.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:06 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
all the cool kids preorder

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:11 PM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
people buy the thing like hotcakes anyway

Their problem is that they have to sell many, many more than they did before the exclusive NFL agreement. They only slightly outsold their previous years sales in last years edition, despite being the only pro game on the market. People didn't switch over to the Madden series from the Sega series like EA had planned. It showed up big and bad in their final financials last year.

So they decided to create Head Coach this year to recoup some of the money. My understanding is that they did not make much profit at all off that game.

They need this year's game to succeed in a big way. The exclusive agreement is really costing them money and they're not seeing a significant increase in their return.

Also, in the past week, there have been some pretty obvious indications on the 2K Sports website that they will be putting out a generic game. If this comes out on the next-gen systems (where you can easily download rosters so licensing is not a big issue), EA is going to be in a lot of trouble.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

Trade in NCAA next week and buy Madden.

ummm....yeah, scratch that plan off the list.....*sigh*
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:29 PM   #17
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan

Last years Madden on the Xbox (NOT the 360 piece of garbage) was the best Madden game in over a decade. It was a ton of fun and felt like football for the most part. It was a very, very solid game that I put a lot of hours into.

It's not sounding good though. I'm happy with NCAA. With the plethora of titles coming out in the next few months, I will have no need for a broken version of Madden.

With Saints Row and Enchanted Arms scheduled for a week after Madden and the hockey and hoops games coming out within a month after, there is no point in getting a broken game.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #18
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Seems like some are already getting the game, so we'll soon see if any of this is true.. and if so (I believe sdrotar) is there a workaround or do we just have to live with it. If it can't be fixed, no biggie.. I'll move on.

back to NCAA 2007?
Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 PM   #19
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015
I understand that, but I don't mind helping the manager at the store out in any way that I can. I'll be spending the $5 at GameStop eventually anyway, so I'll just let him keep the money, and I'll spend it on something other than Madden. Whether my preorder is significant or not, I don't have any good reason to go into the store and ask for my money back. Even if it only hurts the guy's numbers less than 1%, I like the guy and don't want to do that to him when I really don't need to.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That HOF bug is downright funny.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
back to NCAA 2007?

Maybe on the ps2... and that's a BIG maybe. Probably just play BBCF and FOF and save the $$$$ to put it towards door #3 for EA this year, NHL 07. Who knows what will happen with that title though.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:05 PM   #22
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Actually, now that I think about it, maybe I should buy Madden. It would be great to have John Elway just suddenly appear on my team. Maybe I can get the Broncos to win another Super Bowl.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:17 PM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Looks like I will just go back to Madden 2006 on the PS2. Note to EA: STOP SUCKING.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:19 PM   #24
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

One would think EA would do something about this... but what the hell do I know?
Old 08-16-2006, 01:24 PM   #25
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

In fairness, EA can't really be expected to catch stuff like this. I think we all agree that priority #1 for them has to be fine-tuning the AI to make sure that the 0.001% of their audience that plays obsessively won't complain that it's "too easy".
Old 08-16-2006, 01:39 PM   #26
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
In fairness, EA can't really be expected to catch stuff like this. I think we all agree that priority #1 for them has to be fine-tuning the AI to make sure that the 0.001% of their audience that plays obsessively won't complain that it's "too easy".

If the results of their past few iterations are any indication, that's obviously not priority #1. If you're right, it's far worse than we ever imagined.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #27
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

I only play the dynasty/franchise so Order Cancelled. Stupid EA, can't ever get it right.. Like someone mentioned, back to NCAA07..
Old 08-16-2006, 01:57 PM   #28
Kodos
Resident Alien

This sucks. I really hadn't read anything about this game. Last week, I saw someone described it as a more refined NCAA 2007. Then I hear all this crap.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #29
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

ugh. usually i'll pickup madden once i can get it for ~40(instead of 50), but with these types of crapshoots, it wouldn't even be worth that much.

we need a new FOF
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:06 PM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos
Last week, I saw someone described it as a more refined NCAA 2007. Then I hear all this crap.

If you hear anyone use EA and the word 'refined' in the same sentence, write off that opinion immediately.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:09 PM   #31
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs

Wrong, imo. A big time front runner gaming company like EA can't be expected to catch stuff like this? C'mon, this isn't the first version of Madden we're talking about here and if people who just get a review copy of the game and the SAME DAY find these issues, it's absolutely BS to think they have anything but trouts testing their games.

EA gets cuts wayyyyy to much slack when it comes to games. That's what we get for exclusive licensing.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #32
illinifan999
Pro Rookie

i thought i noticed a slight hint of sarcasm in that post.
illinifan999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #33
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Are we certain that a tongue isn't planted in a cheek somewhere?

Edit: A little late I see...

Last edited by sovereignstar : 08-16-2006 at 05:14 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:19 PM   #34
Logan
Head Coach

Everytime I hear people say things like "how is it possible that EA's testers didn't catch this?" I laugh. That implies that EA cares about things like this.

They don't.

The end.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:24 PM   #35
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Considering that my PSP version of NCAA 2007 is still gathering dust because of the ball-spotting issue in the running game, this doesn't surprise me at all.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #36
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

There is a workaround for the HOF players bug:

Quote:
I've received a response directly from the Madden team.

Apparently, the people who told me that HOFers were not going to be added to Superstar/Franchise rosters at Community Day were "misinformed".

"...the (design) team wanted to give players the ability to use HOF players on current rosters. This is intentional."

This is the workaround recommended by the Madden team if "players
do not want to use this feature":

"
Hall of Fame players are added to the roster on boot-up and whenever you move up in Madden Gamer Level. In order to prevent these (players) from being on your Franchise team, you have the following options:

1) Save off the roster upon boot-up, and load once you are in-game and then head into Franchise mode.

2) Go online and get the latest roster and start a Franchise. This will also remove the players.
Once you have started a Franchise, these players won't show up, as the roster is saved with the Franchise."

To add to that, if you already have a saved Profile with a Madden Gamer Level high enough to unlock HOFers immediately, I'd recommend copying it to a memory card, removing it from your hard drive (if applicable), and booting the game without it so it doesn't auto-load.

You'll have the default rosters (and the ability to load customized ones from memory) and bypass the MGL/HOF functionality. Then, after the Franchise/Superstar is saved, you could load your profile normally.

The above instructions should also apply to Superstar mode as well as Franchise.

Now, seeing as how quickly everyone jumped on EA here, I'd like to point out that their response regarding a workaround took only a few business hours after I called them yesterday, informing them of this and alerting them that I would post that evening in advance.

Thanks specifically go to Michael Johnson of EA, who worked after hours last night after we spoke and coordinated this workaround so quickly today, and the Madden design team for getting back to us and responding to the community's need for information.

One down, one to go.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #37
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinifan999
i thought i noticed a slight hint of sarcasm in that post.
You get a cookie.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:09 PM   #38
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That work around seems reasonable. But like others have said, no fatigue is a game killer. If that isn't fixed, I won't buy.

There are too many good games coming out to buy a broken 360 version of Madden.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 08-16-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:15 PM   #39
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
That work around seems reasonable.

Anything more than simply toggling an option on or off for this feature is not reasonable.

And, like you said, it's all moot if the fatigue thing turns out to be true.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:18 PM   #40
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
Anything more than simply toggling an option on or off for this feature is not reasonable.

And, like you said, it's all moot if the fatigue thing turns out to be true.

You are right. I should say that work around (assuming it works) is not a game killer for me. However, if fatigue doesn't work it is moot.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:20 PM   #41
jbmagic
Pro Starter

You guys realize that this fatigue bug was also in Madden 2006.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #42
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah

No, no, no. That's not the way you're supposed to do it. You are supposed to scream MOST BUGGIEST UNPLAYABLE SHIT-HOLE OF A GAME EVER RELEASED!!!111!!!!. Then get all stressed about, create posts after posts here at FOFC yelling this every chance you get and ridicule anyone not agreeing with you and then make it your life's goal to get others to hate, hate, hate. That is the JiMGA way. Just sayin'.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:28 PM   #43
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
You guys realize that this fatigue bug was also in Madden 2006.
Maybe I was playing it wrong, but I remember my guys fatiguing during games.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:30 PM   #44
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I could be wrong, but I think they didn't fatigue during online games.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:31 PM   #45
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

They definitely did fatigue in offline games. However, the display of it was messed up. It would show the wrong fatigue bars for some guys. I only ever played 1 game online, so I can't remember if they did or not online.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #46
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution
I could be wrong, but I think they didn't fatigue during online games.
You're right about that. EA purposely disabled the fatigue in online games due to a glitch, which I didn't like, but I understand it. I don't remember an actual "fatigue bug" at all, though.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:38 PM   #47
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:

Well the sims games they didnt fatigue at all.. That why the RB carries,etc was very high. Backups hardly had any stats.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #48
saldana
Pro Starter

how is that workaround supposed to do anything for people that play on a PS2, where you cant just "go online and download the latest rosters"...or can you and i just dont know it because i dont play madden online.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:07 PM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
That is the JiMGA way. Just sayin'.

Well that was random.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:10 PM   #50
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote: