Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-03-2006, 08:09 AM   #1
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Best State for High School Football

I've heard various arguments for Texas, Georgia, Florida, and California.

I figure that this would make a good poll, but before we post it, let's let people knock around the question a bit here. I'm sure that I'm missing a state or two that deserves to be considered.

Also, by "best," I mean some combination of talent and passion. Though it would really come down to a modified "I know it when I see it" standard.

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:12 AM   #2
gottimd
Dearly Missed
(9/25/77-12/23/08)

Vermont?
In memory of Gavin Anthony: 7/22/08-7/26/08
gottimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
Klinglerware
College Starter

American Samoa?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 08:57 AM   #4
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I'd probably narrow it down to either Texas or Florida.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #5
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Nevada. The cold part.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:01 AM   #6
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinglerware
American Samoa?

Based on ratio of players that make it to Div. 1 college programs, American Samoa would win easily.

Last edited by molson : 08-03-2006 at 09:01 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:04 AM   #7
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

I would argue either Texas or Georgia, if you're looking for a combination of overall passion AND talent. Yes, California and Florida have a great deal of talent, but there are large pockets in those two states where the passion is decidely NOT there. When I did YL at perennial stink-bomb Osbone High in Marietta, as bad as that program was, it STILL drew 1,000 or so on most Friday nights on the home side, and when we were playing a McEachern or Marietta, plenty of community folks would come out to see the big-time talent on display from those schools. Yes, there are a handful of poorer schools in metro Atlanta that get stuck with a 5:00 game and have less than 100 there, but overall, those seem to be pretty rare. From what I understand, it's the same way in Texas, that even the weaker teams keep people interested. There's definitely a social/community aspect of it in Georgia. It's relatively easy to draw 5,000-15,000 when you've got 5-10 D1 kids on the field, but what impresses me about Georgia (and what I've heard about Texas) is the community that gets built even around the crappy teams.
Old 08-03-2006, 09:08 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

This supports my argument for Georgia, and also pushes Louisiana into the mix. Think per capita:

Quote:
From NFLHS.com, the home states of players on 2005 NFL rosters:

1. California 199
2. Florida 179
3. Texas 176
4. Georgia 90
5. Ohio 78
6. Louisiana 76
7. Pennsylvania 58
8. Michigan 50
9. Virginia 49
10. South Carolina 48
Old 08-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #9
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I've met people at my various jobs that have gone to high school in Florida, Georgia, Texas, Pennsylvania and such, and heard their stories about how important high school football is. Two of my best friends at work grew up in Texas and some of my best friends from college now live in Atlanta and in Florida.

Without a doubt, Texas is far and away the best state. No one else even comes close. Maybe if Georgia and Florida were one state they would equal about half of what high school football means in Texas. But I doubt it.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:14 AM   #10
st.cronin
General Manager

I would think Ohio has to get some props. I was driving through Ohio one time on a Friday night, and quite literally the only thing on FM radio was high school football. Every single channel, high school football.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

Per capita, among the top ten, that would rank them:

1. Louisiana: 16.80 per million
2. South Carolina: 11.28
3. Florida: 10.06
4. Georgia: 9.92
5. Texas: 7.69
6. Ohio: 6.80
7. Virginia: 6.48
8. California: 5.51
9. Michigan: 4.94
10. Pennsylvania: 4.67

I think looking at the per capita numbers of the 10 highest producers makes solid sense to me. Squeeze the kind of talent in Louisiana into one state, and clearly the passion will be there. Also, anecdotally based on the conversations with Louisiana kids I had after Katrina, it seems like the community aspects are there, too. I've sensed it in SC, and the numbers support it, too. I'd vote:

1. Louisiana
2. SC
3. Georgia
Old 08-03-2006, 09:32 AM   #12
wade moore
lolzcat

Surprised to see Virginia up here... I think in the southern part football is pretty big, but in Northern Virginia it's hit or miss based on the quality of the football program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #13
rowech
Pro Starter

Living in Ohio...it's up there with whatever state you want to put up. Friday night's around here are shut down the state. As Cronin said, the FM/AM radio dial just becomes football central. Every newscast is about 10 minutes long and then 20 minutes of highlights from everywhere. The papers will put pro sports to the back pages during football season. I grew up in a small town of about 20,000 people and the movie Friday Night Lights describes much of Ohio football.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 09:36 AM   #14
Huckleberry
College Starter

SkyDog -

Louisiana has very concentrated talent. The vast majority of the state is filled with crappy football teams.

I played football in the weakest high school football region in Texas aside from the Rio Grande Valley. We still averaged probably in the neighborhood of 3,000 per game (helped by the fact that homecoming was attended by 8,000-10,000 people the years I was there.)

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:01 AM   #15
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

I'm not sure I agree with SD's use of NFL roster talent as a gauge for high school talent and related passion.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:06 AM   #16
digamma
Torchbearer

Texas is a pretty solid #1 in my book.

2-6 is, in some order, Georgia, Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Louisiana.

California has more overall talent, but absolutely no atmosphere.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:39 AM   #17
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Texas also is a solid #1 in my book. Even the cities that are too small to field 11 player teams still put together six man football teams. If you drive through some of the small towns in Texas, that have maybe 1500 to 2000 people, the high school stadium will seat 5000. Driving into any small town, you'll see a list of the high school team's accomplishments listed, from Divisional titles to State titles.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:44 AM   #18
Tigercat
College Starter

I wouldn't say Louisiana's talent is anymore concentrated than other states. Louisiana has multiple areas that feed colleges in big numbers, Acadiana, Shreveport, New Orleans area, and the river parishes. I could name many NFL and college stars that have come from all of those areas. (Not to mention being able to name national recognized HS powers that are far away from each other.)

But yea, talent-wise Louisiana has been #1 for a while. I think it has to do with the fact that so many of our areas that aren't dirt road poor all have decent to great youth sports programs.

And while I would put Texas on a whole ahead of Louisiana in HS football passion, its not like you cross the boarder and you find totally different worlds.

If you want the atmosphere, its all about picking the right spot in Texas on a couple Friday nights. But if you want to see the young talent shine, a couple of Friday's in Louisiana would work.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 10:57 AM   #19
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

O-H-I-O

I live in the burbs of C-Town and there are many big time DI schools around the area that are constantly nationally ranked. I heard that some of these schools recruit pretty hard to get transfers. Pretty crazy if you think about it - I mean it's high school football.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:00 AM   #20
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I have to admit that I wish I went to high school, mainly so that I would've had a Louisiana school to cheer for. I worked with lots of people who were obsessed with their New Orleans area schools (particularly Jesuit and Brother Martin, but Shaw and those doormats De La Salle were represented, too).

Since I never followed high school football, I can't speak for the amount of talent in Louisiana, but the passion was certainly there. Believe me, if you can get people to care about your sport in New Orleans (a city that had plenty of other entertainment), you've got a pretty good product. I would imagine that the smaller cities in Louisiana are even more hardcore about their high school football.

I wish I could've had a part of that.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:04 AM   #21
Butter
Coordinator

1. Texas
2. Georgia
3. Ohio
4. South Carolina
5. Florida
Old 08-03-2006, 11:05 AM   #22
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
I have to admit that I wish I went to high school, mainly so that I would've had a Louisiana school to cheer for. I worked with lots of people who were obsessed with their New Orleans area schools (particularly Jesuit and Brother Martin, but Shaw and those doormats De La Salle were represented, too).

Since I never followed high school football, I can't speak for the amount of talent in Louisiana, but the passion was certainly there. Believe me, if you can get people to care about your sport in New Orleans (a city that had plenty of other entertainment), you've got a pretty good product. I would imagine that the smaller cities in Louisiana are even more hardcore about their high school football.

I wish I could've had a part of that.

So just this morning I've had Jeeber call my wife a man and Pumpy call my high school a doormat.

I did not provoke these attacks--which are, at best, half-truths.

Maybe it is just not my day to be on FOFC.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 08-03-2006 at 11:05 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:11 AM   #23
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

No doubt that Texas and a lot of the other Southern schools are head and shoulders above the rest, but I am pretty sure that Friday nights are an all across America thing. I have lived in Missouri, Indiana, and Ohio and pretty much every rural town is shut down for the football games. And even the cities like St. Louis and Cincinnati have their share of large crowds. I would guess this would be true in about any small town in any state. (Maybe not Alaska or Hawaii, but I could even be wrong there)
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:13 AM   #24
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'll stick up for PA at least being mentioned. We had nice crowds at Neshaminy and had some strong teams in our league (Central Bucks West had a few separate insane winning streaks), and the Philly burbs usually have decent football. Same goes for some of the coal towns, Pittsburgh, Erie, etc. We don't have the quality that there is down south (the factors as to why that is could make for interesting discussion), but overall, a pretty strong state for it.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #25
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'd rank Texas well above the rest.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #26
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
No doubt that Texas and a lot of the other Southern schools are head and shoulders above the rest, but I am pretty sure that Friday nights are an all across America thing. I have lived in Missouri, Indiana, and Ohio and pretty much every rural town is shut down for the football games. And even the cities like St. Louis and Cincinnati have their share of large crowds. I would guess this would be true in about any small town in any state. (Maybe not Alaska or Hawaii, but I could even be wrong there)

Not in the northeast, that I was ever aware. My high school didn't even have a football team.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #27
Bee
Pro Starter

Texas is my clear #1. After that Florida and Georgia would be ahead of most everyone else in my book.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:36 AM   #28
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'd probably go with:
1) Texas
2) Georgia
3) Louisiana
4) Florida
5) California

And Ohio narrowly misses, mostly because of the size advantage Cali has.
A couple of other states that I don't think have been mentioned but I perceive as being well above average would be Tennessee and Pennsylvania.

So far, the only one that has surprised me in this thread has been South Carolina which I'm not at all sure is even as good/better for this list than Alabama.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:48 AM   #29
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Not in the northeast, that I was ever aware. My high school didn't even have a football team.

Aye - different priority quene for the people up here.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #30
MrBug708
Head Coach

Is this thread about who produces more talent? Or who loves watching it on a Friday night?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:55 AM   #31
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Just for kicks, I may attend a high school hockey game this year, and that's absolutely unheard of in Louisiana.

This irrelevant message has been brought to you by Pumpy Tudors and the 8-ounce piece of coal on Pumpy Tudors' desk.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #32
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd
I would guess this would be true in about any small town in any state. (Maybe not Alaska or Hawaii, but I could even be wrong there)
Yeah, in the small town in Virginia where I went to high school, our stadium seated 15,000...and our town's population was around 6,000. While we didn't fill the stadium every game, it was packed for the big games.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:58 AM   #33
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

I went to high school in Louisiana (Shreveport area), but I wasn't aware of any kind of severe passion for high school football. Not like in Texas or western PA. Of course, the fact that my school had one of the worst teams in the state might have had something to do with that lack of passion.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:59 AM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Is this thread about who produces more talent? Or who loves watching it on a Friday night?

If I read the question right, it's sort of a combination of those factors & any/every thing else.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:19 PM   #35
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDog
Per capita, among the top ten, that would rank them:

1. Louisiana: 16.80 per million
2. South Carolina: 11.28
3. Florida: 10.06
4. Georgia: 9.92
5. Texas: 7.69
6. Ohio: 6.80
7. Virginia: 6.48
8. California: 5.51
9. Michigan: 4.94
10. Pennsylvania: 4.67

I think looking at the per capita numbers of the 10 highest producers makes solid sense to me. Squeeze the kind of talent in Louisiana into one state, and clearly the passion will be there. Also, anecdotally based on the conversations with Louisiana kids I had after Katrina, it seems like the community aspects are there, too. I've sensed it in SC, and the numbers support it, too. I'd vote:

1. Louisiana
2. SC
3. Georgia

Good points. I'd definitely say the passion revolving around H.S. Football is here in Louisiana. I lived in Los Angeles for 4 years, and the passion was there for some schools, but I didn't think the intensity for even the bad schools matched what I've seen in Louisiana.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #36
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Thanksgiving day football games are a pretty big tradition in New Jersey and I miss it.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:26 PM   #37
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97
Yeah, in the small town in Virginia where I went to high school, our stadium seated 15,000...and our town's population was around 6,000. While we didn't fill the stadium every game, it was packed for the big games.

My wife's school in VA was apparently the same way. Small town, huge field. I believe they had to move to A eventually, since they didn't have enough students.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 12:29 PM   #38
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Just for kicks, I may attend a high school hockey game this year, and that's absolutely unheard of in Louisiana.

This irrelevant message has been brought to you by Pumpy Tudors and the 8-ounce piece of coal on Pumpy Tudors' desk.
There have been a fair amount of pro level QB's that came out of Pittsburgh Central Catholic. I know Bulger and Marino did.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #39
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew
There have been a fair amount of pro level QB's that came out of Pittsburgh Central Catholic. I know Bulger and Marino did.

Central Catholic beat Neshaminy (again, my school) in 2004 for the PIAA-4A title.

They also won it in 1988, beating Cedar Cliff; Cedar Cliff was the team that had beaten us 28-0 the game before (my sophomore year) and featured Kyle Brady.

hxxp://trojannation.tripod.com/id92.html
Old 08-03-2006, 01:41 PM   #40
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
My wife's school in VA was apparently the same way. Small town, huge field. I believe they had to move to A eventually, since they didn't have enough students.
What school did she go to? It's gotta be in SW Virginia.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #41
AgustusM
College Prospect

I coach HS football in California and sadly I agree Texas is #1.

We do have some games that get great attendance especially when we play national power De La Salle, but for your standard Friday night league game we play in front of some sparse crowds, especially on the road. At least at home the stands are pretty full because our school has a long storied history and football is very important in our small little town.

All in all I would love to coach HS football in a place like Texas.
AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What school did she go to? It's gotta be in SW Virginia.
Gate City.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #43
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Gate City.
Heh...I know Gate City pretty well. They weren't in our district, but they were in our region until they moved to single A. We (Graham High) played them in the playoffs in '89 & '91. Beat them both times My cousin (Chad Beasley) played for them a few years after that before going onto VT and the NFL...
Old 08-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #44
SackAttack
Head Coach

The larger the state, the more individual talent will come out of it (but that doesn't speak to per-capita talent).

On the other hand, California and Florida are two of the four largest states in the union by population, and you wouldn't exactly call either one a hotbed of hockey passion, just by way of example.

I'd say if you're talking about the best state both in terms of talent and passion, it's gotta be below the Mason-Dixon line, and that means probably Texas or Georgia, as others have said.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:53 PM   #45
Vince
Pro Starter

I'll echo the sentiments of others -- High School Football in California isn't followed with NEARLY the passion of many other places.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #46
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Heh...I know Gate City pretty well. They weren't in our district, but they were in our region until they moved to single A. We (Graham High) played them in the playoffs in '89 & '91. Beat them both times My cousin (Chad Beasley) played for them a few years after that before going onto VT and the NFL...

I remember GC playing Graham a few times when i lived in Bristol from about 94-00.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #47
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
All in all I would love to coach HS football in a place like Texas

the best HS coaches in Texas get fat cash. i remember reading about 10 years ago the list of the best paid HS coaches in texas, some were making several hundred thousand a year, and that was a decade ago.
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:04 PM   #48
Super Ugly
High School JV

I guess I can't really comment, but I noticed that they were nuts for high school football in Alabama. Absolutely crackers for it. I had the same thing while driving around the Montgomery/Birmingham area one Friday night - every radio station was talking about the games.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:19 PM   #49
Buccaneer
Head Coach

In my travels and esp. reading local papers, I would agree with Texas, Georgia and Louisiana. In other states and regions, it becomes more of hot pockets here and there (like Western PA, Northern Ohio, etc.). I have not been to Southern Georgia during football season but I would imagine the state being more ubiquitous in its fanaticism about football.

SD is right about California (I didn't read much beyond the per capita post), there are some definite hot spot (and Florida too, I believe) but good chunks of the state are really weak. When I was in HS out in So Cal, I believe football was big but as far as community participation and leagues, I would say baseball/softball as well as soccer were just as big.

Last edited by Buccaneer : 08-03-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:16 PM   #50
BYU 14
Coordinator

Without a doubt Texas in my book. Multi-level press boxes, artificial grass fields, Staduims that hold 12,000 - 15,000 that are always packed. It is a religion in most parts and the community support is unbelievable.

One good measuring stick is Coaches salaries. Here in AZ most Schools give Head Coaches an $8,000 - $12,000 stipend. As Assistants we get $2,000 - $3,000 stipends for the most part. In Texas a Head Coach at a top program can command $60,000 plus and not have to teach.

Granted none of us at the High School level really do it for the Money, but it would sure be nice to "not do it for the Money" with a Salary like some of the Texas Coaches pull down.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote